TSA Checking Candy

It's this kind of stupid stuff that causes them to repeatedly fail miserably on there Inspector General tests.
It's this kind of stupid stuff that causes me to get TSA Pre-Check, and insist on it for everyone else in my travel party. My son and my mother just got it this week. I'm gifting them a free Disney cruise and flights for Christmas. But my condition is that they must have TSA Pre-Check. I don't like being poked, prodded, patted-down, de-shoed, swabbed, delayed or otherwise aggravated on my vacation.

We flew out of MCO on 11/3 and had to take out "all" candy and food items. We told the TSA guy handling it to help himself if he was hungry. I accidentally left my Goofy caramel apple in my bag though, and it went through on the belt and then came out the special "failed bag!" chute and then I had to go over and the TSA guy fished it out and was like "o_O" and I was like "I forgot!" and he looked at it more closely and then gave me and my bag back. So even with the Halloween parties over, there still might be some treat issues!

And I just realized that I will have my glucose tablets with me since I’m a type 1 diabetic. So between the extra pat-down and explosives swab I receive bc of insulin pump will also have excess glucose tablet screening. I usually bring food bc I have celiac disease (I know, I’m a hot mess!!) ugh. I’m traveling from Bangor Maine so I’m hoping that it won’t take too long due to small airport size and we are traveling on a smaller regional jet.

@MDIME, I flew from Bangor to Newark in September and had no issues with TSA- and we had plenty of stuff in the carry-ons because we didn't check any suitcases.

I see you live on the Island. I used to work at Jackson Labs. LOVED being on MDI every day but it was a huge hassle to commute; we live in Orono. I work locally now, only get out to MDI for day-trips. I miss it but I sure don't miss the daily drive!

My sister flew in October from Hartford to Ft. Myers and she had a granola bar in her carry on. She said she was at security for almost an hour and they made her open the granola bar. Something like that I’d be pissed about. What if I had no zip lock bag to put it in. What if I was saving it for a week from arrival to my desitination then it would be stale.

Back in April when we flew, my 15 yo got pre check so we sent her alone. She had a coconut in her bag so she got extra screening. I am sure it was the liquid. But we also had coconuts in our non pre check lines and there was no issue. We did have an issue with foot powder so one bag had to be searched. It was right on the outside, the last place the guy looked. Ironically it was the same guy who searched for the powder this year that searched my bag in 2016 for all the sand and shells. He was impressed we labeled the sand by beach so he was trying to guess.

Any recent reports now that Halloween is over?

We flew home from Orlando on Wednesday November 15th and food was not being removed. Actually nothing was being removed from bags that night. They told us to keep everything in our bags and to empty our pockets and put those items in our bags. They had security dogs walking the line and took all the bins away so you didn't even have the option of emptying anything out. You would think this might speed things along but we sat in the security line for 1 1/2 hours.

This isn’t exclusive to Orlando. Last time I had to go through a non Pre Check line in DC on the 22nd of Oct they took a look at the leftovers I was carrying. They mentioned it was a new TSA policy. Though what the point in it I don’t undertstand. But yeah in general if your flying expect to get food checked if you don’t have PreCheck.

We flew out this past Monday and it was a nightmare. They made us take out everything edible (with 2 small kids we have granola bars stashed in every pocket!). About 2/3 of the way through security line my 4 year old told me he had to poop. Sorry kiddo, gotta hold it. We fished through our 4 (!) backpacks in the line and put all of the random snacks in a couple of gallon ziploc bags i had stashed in one of the backpacks. They had ONE guy fishing through every, single, piece of food from everyones bags in 3 lines. Other side wasn't being checked. So frustrating, we just picked the wrong line. They sent me/kids on through the detectors and held my husband back for our bags. Well...there's no bathroom in the waiting area past security before the train. We should have gone on to the gate but I didn't know it would take so long and my poor son had an accident waiting. Had to ride train to the gate (finally left husband, we are talking 20-30 minutes between us getting through security and him!) to clean him up in the bathroom.
From now on we will fly snack free and buy snacks on the other side of security like we do with drinks!

Thanks to DIS and threads like this, all of our carry on food was in one bag, inside another bag. I was able to dump that into a bin and stash the plastic bag. We didn't remove the books from my daughter's bag (paperbacks). They announced that we were supposed to, we just didn't do it. But otherwise felt like we had to remove everything. My husband stood at the end of the machine putting electronics and things back together for several minutes. There were no benches available because everyone was repacking their bags. None of our bags were held for extra scanning. Food items were not swabbed. We didn't have toiletries, as we were heading home and I put them in the checked bag. From entering line to walking over to the tram took 30 minutes, which was consistent with the posted time. We were there Monday, Nov. 27 around noon.

We had to remove electronics in Philly but not food. My bag was held there for extra screening due to a package of baby wipes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter