TRON - just tell me not to bother on this trip

Jsharp13

Mouseketeer
Here's the situation -
Teenage son and I have been to Disney in 2022 and 2023. We'll return in a couple weeks. and I plan to do VQ and an ILL for Tron for both of us. He's gonna love it. We'll be doing a full MK day, but since we've been before, we don't have the pressure to hit everything. It'll be hot so we'll take a mid day break over at Poly for lunch/shopping, or head all the way back to our resort, CBR.

However... my husband will arrive a few days later to join us. He hasn't been to Disney in 10 years and is not a fan. He is coming for "rollercoasters" and thrills, and to see some of the cool, more mature new things that my son keeps saying "Wait till you see it!". In his three days there, I have planned HS After Hours (he's a huge star wars fan and has never seen Galaxy's edge). One 1/2 day at AK - Everest a few times, safari, and then Pandora which he's never seen, hopefully G+ for Navi, and I'll buy ILL for Flight. Disney Springs that night for Raglan. Last full day - Epcot. Hit Guardians a couple times, maybe Remy, Test Track a couple times, and then eat/drink around the world. See where I am going with this? More adult / thrill based.

So, he would LOVE Tron. But there is literally nothing else in MK that he would like. So I had not planned to go there at all (we had even talked about this in early planning stages and he said it would be silly to spend all that money, extra park day, and likely pay ILL just to go there for one ride).

Of course now, as usual, I am second guessing myself. Should I move a ton of stuff around, and spend $$$ (I don't even know what... add a park day to all our tickets, and pay for ILL) just to squeeze 90 seconds of a ride in?

I feel like just skipping it. Three days of the "fun stuff" for hubby is likely plenty. There is not need to hit ALLLL of the big stuff. I think the extra money, coupled with the hassle and lines, and all that will likely undo all the amazing feelings he will get for 90 seconds on that ride. Tell me I'm right 🤣

I would save the money.

Just a heads up, depending on when you're going, TT is closing for an extended refurbishment starting June 17th.

Def not worth a park ticket and the extra for ILL. It was very underwhelming for us. I can be in MK and totally skip it. My DS who is a HUGE coaster person says Big Thunder is still best coaster in MK.

I'd rather spend the money for a one day at Universal Islands of Adventure and ride Hagrid's, a great motorcycle ride! and the Velocicoaster is INCREDIBLE, and you have Hulk and Forbidden Journey. At least there you get your thrill monies worth.

Thank you all... basically confirming my original plan. I'll save Tron for the next time I drag my husband to Disney in 10 more years!

I rode Tron in February when I went with friends. I know my son will enjoy it so I'll happily get a VQ and paid ILL on the day we plan to spend in MK. But, he and I will enjoy many things there as part of our full day, so to me, adding those will be worth it.

I would save the money.

Just a heads up, depending on when you're going, TT is closing for an extended refurbishment starting June 17th.

Thank you, fortunately we'll be there in a couple weeks so we'll still hit test track. That would be tough if that was closed!

For those suggesting Universal - I agree. It just was not in the cards this trip. But I think a future trip will be in the works to do more Sea World / Universal type stuff!

I like Tron. It exceeded expectations (which were admittedly low). But I would not make a special trip to ride it for a roller coaster fan who doesn't want to do anything else in MK.

Guardians on the other hand...

Tron was my first coaster in over 6 years of absence. I went at night (proper way to see it) and thought it was spectacular albeit in the blink of an eye. Save the $$$.

No way. I enjoyed Tron and was glad I got the VQ. I even briefly considered getting the ILL afterward, but then thought "that was fun but it was a REALLY short ride. Pass." Not worth it for the husband.

Agree with everyone else. Pass. It won’t even be a must ride for us in general. It could be a great ride if longer, but there is maybe 45 seconds of fun. I doubt I’ll ever do a VQ for it again. And will only wait standby if the wait is under a half hour. Possible would pay for an ILL once while we are there just to ride it. The launch is great, and the outside is cool, but then it’s about over it seems.

Here's the situation -
Teenage son and I have been to Disney in 2022 and 2023. We'll return in a couple weeks. and I plan to do VQ and an ILL for Tron for both of us. He's gonna love it. We'll be doing a full MK day, but since we've been before, we don't have the pressure to hit everything. It'll be hot so we'll take a mid day break over at Poly for lunch/shopping, or head all the way back to our resort, CBR.

However... my husband will arrive a few days later to join us. He hasn't been to Disney in 10 years and is not a fan. He is coming for "rollercoasters" and thrills, and to see some of the cool, more mature new things that my son keeps saying "Wait till you see it!". In his three days there, I have planned HS After Hours (he's a huge star wars fan and has never seen Galaxy's edge). One 1/2 day at AK - Everest a few times, safari, and then Pandora which he's never seen, hopefully G+ for Navi, and I'll buy ILL for Flight. Disney Springs that night for Raglan. Last full day - Epcot. Hit Guardians a couple times, maybe Remy, Test Track a couple times, and then eat/drink around the world. See where I am going with this? More adult / thrill based.

So, he would LOVE Tron. But there is literally nothing else in MK that he would like. So I had not planned to go there at all (we had even talked about this in early planning stages and he said it would be silly to spend all that money, extra park day, and likely pay ILL just to go there for one ride).

Of course now, as usual, I am second guessing myself. Should I move a ton of stuff around, and spend $$$ (I don't even know what... add a park day to all our tickets, and pay for ILL) just to squeeze 90 seconds of a ride in?

I feel like just skipping it. Three days of the "fun stuff" for hubby is likely plenty. There is not need to hit ALLLL of the big stuff. I think the extra money, coupled with the hassle and lines, and all that will likely undo all the amazing feelings he will get for 90 seconds on that ride. Tell me I'm right 🤣
My DH has zero tolerance for MK crowds. Like zero. He is not big into Disney in general, but is good with things in small doses. I have taken him to do 2 MK AH, and I think that works well for him - it is so unique how empty things are! If there is an MK AH while you're there, that might be an interesting approach, although it miiiight be more $ so maybe not? On my last trip, I did an $LL for tron, then went to skippers and had a light dinner/wine during regular FW/HEA, then went back out as day guests were exiting. Tron is a standby line during AH, so I went over during the special AH FW, and the wait was maybe 10-15.

BUT - as others have said, Guardians is just superior.

I second doing a day at Universal instead if he is a coaster fan. I love Hagrids more than any coaster in Disney except Guardians. DH says Velocicoaster is the best coaster he has ever ridden—I wouldn’t do it too scared! But there is also Mummy, Hulk, Gringotts (coaster/screen ride combo) as well

I don’t even pay ILL for Tron, it’s not worth 20 a person.

Edit to add: Whoops, just saw you replied can’t do Universal this trip. Next time!

Guardians at Epcot is spectacular and I think is enough to take the sting out of missing TRON, especially if you get a few rides in. One Monday we had 3 rides - one VQ, one ILL, and one more VQ for deluxe EEH. It was a long magnificent day. The experience itself, like comparing the ride and preshow on GotG vs TRON, is 2.87 lightyears better.

TRON is really cool as an addition to Tomorrowland. It adds to the atmosphere and landscape and is alot of fun. Not worth twisting plans and spending big extra money to accomplish though. It’s not that special. Guardians is. Do not miss that one! 😁

It’s safe to ‘do not bother’ this trip. Lol. I don’t think you’d regret that decision.

Here's the situation -

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't he want to ride Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain as well? There are a fair number of MK rides I would put ahead of Navi in the "thrilling" category.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't he want to ride Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain as well? There are a fair number of MK rides I would put ahead of Navi in the "thrilling" category.

No, you are very much correct here. I didn't give the full background here, but I did review a few of the other options in MK that could make it "worth it" for a park entrance there: Tron, plus a few other coasters. He was not a fan of Space, and so it just made the value of doing MK pretty small.
And yes, Navi is the opposite of a "thrill", but definitely in the Wow, I've never seen anything like that type category that he will enjoy just once. :)

I know a bunch of people have replied already, but I agree Tron is not worth the time or money. DH, DS 17 and I rode twice at MK After Hours in February. We were all underwhelmed. It was just meh for us. DH and I are going back in November, and we're planning to skip it. Not worth the trouble.

Just back, and Tron was such a letdown. I did not enjoy it at all and have no desire to ride it again. It was uncomfortable and awkward seating and over too quickly. Plus, there's no wow factor to it. It does nothing special or unique except the uncomfortable seating.

Definitely recommend a day at Universal over it. Hagrids is way better, more comfortable, longer, more interesting story-line / things to look at, interesting ride itself with the fun drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter