Trivia on DCL Ships

exactly.... especially since there really isn't any meaningful prize that I am aware of...
Meaningful? Probably not but besides the new character medallions on my last cruise I won a goody bag of DCL stuff- A small DCL backpack, DCL baseball hat, DCL journal, DCL cooling towel, cheap DCL sunglasses, and my favorite a DCL fidget spinner.

On the Wonder in April, it was the honor system. The wife and I won the 80's Music Trivia only missing one artist and 1 song, which anyone who knows me, wouldn't be a surprise. The people that we shared a table with kept asking how I could name some of the songs only hearing a note or two of the music, but when all you pretty much listen to is music from the 80's with some 70's and 60's mixed in, it wasn't too hard. We were not even close when we tried the 90's and 2000's music trivia.

Psy

I think that mistake is because it could be considered a spelling mistake and DCL is pretty clear that spelling doesn't count unless you spell Luke as L. E. I. A.
Fair, but maybe that's part of the reason why the outcome would be different if you are scoring your own versus scoring for someone else. If grading your own, you would know if the situation was "I can't remember, but it was something with an M and and ended in O, oh well, let's guess and see if we get lucky"--in which case it's just a wrong answer and not a mere spelling error. But if grading for another team, you may give the benefit of the doubt and assume that someone gave the correct answer but the team's scribe wrote it down wrong.

The prizes are just for bragging rights for those on your cruise.
Can you imagine what it would be like if the top team won a future cruise on DCL?
Does any cruise line offer anything like that? I mean people will cheat to win Mickey medallions so I can't imagine what would happen if something of such value was on the table.

Fair, but maybe that's part of the reason why the outcome would be different if you are scoring your own versus scoring for someone else. If grading your own, you would know if the situation was "I can't remember, but it was something with an M and and ended in O, oh well, let's guess and see if we get lucky"--in which case it's just a wrong answer and not a mere spelling error. But if grading for another team, you may give the benefit of the doubt and assume that someone gave the correct answer but the team's scribe wrote it down wrong.
I totally get that but if someone scores you too high you can easily adjust the score down since you are self reporting. If the team grading is confused to why you didn't win, you can explain it to them.

I think if its the other way around and you score yourself higher than they gave you, it is more likely to cause some raised eyebrows. I think most people would be hesitant to self report a score higher than they one another team gave them.

Does any cruise line offer anything like that? I mean people will cheat to win Mickey medallions so I can't imagine what would happen if something of such value was on the table.
On the Celebrity cruise I was on during Christmas, one of the game shows had a free cruise as the top prize. The trivia throughout the cruise didn't have a prize, just bragging rights I guess.

My last Cruise on the Magic DW and I teamed up with a mother daughter crew from the Cruise Facebook group. We had a solid collection of Disney knowledge between the 4 of us and by the end of the sailing we had some groups ask us to not participate, which we hit a point where we just played along for our own pride. We didn’t always win with perfect scores either.

But can say we got all of the medals they had available for the sailing:

IMG_3827.jpeg

We had a mix of self grading and pass to another team grading, just depended on the crew member.

Meaningful? Probably not but besides the new character medallions on my last cruise I won a goody bag of DCL stuff- A small DCL backpack, DCL baseball hat, DCL journal, DCL cooling towel, cheap DCL sunglasses, and my favorite a DCL fidget spinner.
That’s a nice price. On which cruise was that?

Wish Cruise May 10-13 at the 18+ trivia's; they gave out one gift set with those prizes at most of the 18+ trivia's. We won 3 in total, one I took home, one my DD22 took home, and then we had a random team mate for the first one and split gifts up from that one.

When I sailed to Alaska on the Wonder in summer 2023, they were giving away similar prize bags for trivia contests. I almost got one. Missed it by one!

From my experience we always switched before Covid. After Covid they stopped and did the honor system, but now on our most recent cruises they have started switching again. That could just be coincidence though. ;)

Personally I prefer the honor system as I'm usually scribbling fast and my writing is not very legible. ;)

On a funny note, we recently switched with a couple who knew they were not doing well. They started filling in nonsense answers that just had us cracking up. Some were so good I gave them bonus points (I knew they weren't going to win so it was more for fun I did that...it didn't affect anyone else). It gave us a good laugh.

My last Cruise on the Magic DW and I teamed up with a mother daughter crew from the Cruise Facebook group. We had a solid collection of Disney knowledge between the 4 of us and by the end of the sailing we had some groups ask us to not participate, which we hit a point where we just played along for our own pride. We didn’t always win with perfect scores either.

But can say we got all of the medals they had available for the sailing:

View attachment 865468

We had a mix of self grading and pass to another team grading, just depended on the crew member.
Love the flex. I can't wait to pose with my medals on the next cruise. It literally took 2 cruises and a friend pixie dusting the last medal I needed to get the whole set. If you can team up with other people and share medals it's a lot easier to win. My cruises last year were honor system and did the pledge. Maybe with the switching it might take time depending on where the trivia is being held.

From my experience we always switched before Covid. After Covid they stopped and did the honor system, but now on our most recent cruises they have started switching again. That could just be coincidence though. ;)

Personally I prefer the honor system as I'm usually scribbling fast and my writing is not very legible. ;)

On a funny note, we recently switched with a couple who knew they were not doing well. They started filling in nonsense answers that just had us cracking up. Some were so good I gave them bonus points (I knew they weren't going to win so it was more for fun I did that...it didn't affect anyone else). It gave us a good laugh.
This is what I do for trivia scribble or write funny stuff. I'm never close to winning

Carnival gives an ashtray for a prize. Disney gives something fun.
I was the only player that knew Pixar movie credits include the baby's names of expectant mothers that worked on the production.
Walt drank Buchanan's Scotch in his Scotch Mist cocktails.
Walts favorite Ice Cream was fantasia.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

New DISboards Posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest