Trip Report Quest for the West

Momof3greatkids

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our Quest for the West. I will try and give everyone a general overview. Please let me know about specific questions, and I will do my best to answer.
I will start with the only 2 negatives we had. First, there is a big mosquito problem in Wyoming this time of the year. Jackson Hole was not a problem, but Yellowstone and Brooks Lake Lodge where absolutely the worst I have ever encountered for mosquitos. Take some OFF, if you are going in this time frame. They are supposed to disappear in the next few weeks, but it is a real problem now. Second, BE AWARE, that at Brooks Lake Lodge all rooms are not equal. The Lodge does not have enough space for everyone to have a cabin. So, some guests are put in fairly small rooms, and others are given cabins with multiple bedrooms, sitting area, woodstove, and porch. While this is somewhat based on party size, we had one family of 3 in a small corner room, and a party of 2 each with there own separate room and sitting area. Disney charges the same no matter what you get. I did bring this up with the guides, because I felt like it was unfair with everyone paying the same.
Please note the altitude ranges from 7200 feet to 9500 feet so be prepared to cope with that. Disney recommends reducing your caffeine and alcohol intake, drink plenty of water, have sunscreen, and lip balm. Disney does provide plenty of water, sunscreen, and OFF for its guests.
Jackson Hole is a lovely town, and we arrived a day early. We spent time at the Alpine Slide and Maze, which is great for kids. The Scenic overlook was absolutely beautiful. The town has some very overpriced dining, and some good places that are more reasonable. So, be sure and ask you guide for advice. Also, know that the closest grocery or drug store is a couple of miles from town. The shops are more the tourist, food, and sporting type. The Wort is an absolutely beautiful hotel, with great service, and Air Conditioning. Whitewater rafting was a big hit with everyone. There is one Class 3 rapid, and the rest are 2’s – 2 ½ depending on the snow melt at the time. The Playhouse lunch was good, and included singing cowboys, and salon girls. There is a cowboy shootout at 6:00 p.m. everyday, in the town square..
The Grand Teton’s are stunning, and included a ferry ride, a hike to an amazing waterfall, and an overlook over Jenny Lake. A picnic lunch of a sandwich, chips, and cookie are provided. Yellowstone is another 2 hours or so away. There is a lot of construction and traffic along the way. West Thumb, which is the stop on the way to Old Faithful, was the least interesting. The Upper Geyser Basin and Fountain Paint Pot Trails where much more interesting to see. A private guide is provided on the second day when you see these areas. The Snow Lodge is OK, it was a better than average national park room. There is no AC or TV. The room was stuffy on the first night. A small fan is provided. The Disney welcome dinner was very good, but the second night at Old Faithful Dining Room, was not given high marks by our group. Overpriced, with subpar food. A bus tour of the lower loop is given the next day. A beautiful hike around the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone follows. Lunch was at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. It was excellent, and the desserts are awesome. It was actually a much nicer area, than the Old Faithful area. It was much less crowded also. However, I am sure Disney wants its guest to stay in the middle of the action. However, most of our group thought the Lake Area was superior. Our group saw many different animals including a Grizzly Bear, which was very exciting to everyone.
The ride to Brooks Lake Lodge was 3 ½ hours long. A movie is shown to pass the time, and snacks are given out. However, be sure and go to the bathroom first. Disney doesn’t encourage using the restroom on the bus except in cases of emergency. They had some complaints about smells in the past. Not pleasant to think about, but that is what we where told. Brooks Lake Lodge setting is beautiful. There is a live webcam, if you want a sneak peek. The rooms are all decorated very well. The only problem is the above mentioned space discrepancy. The food is very good. Tea is everyday at 4:30, and included cheese, crackers, fruit, and cookies. Dinner was 3 options, each night, including elk, fish, pork loin, eggplant, and pasta. The desserts where divine, and included huckleberry milkshakes, and turtle cheesecake to name a few. Wine is included on the last night. A cash bar was available at other times. We don’t drink, so I don’t know the prices. The first night included a singing cowboy for the adults, and a campfire and movie (Brother Bear) for the kids. They also had a lot of games for the kids, including a twister competition. The horseback ride has amazing scenery, but was 2 hours long. This sent many people to the hot tub. The ride includes crossing streams, and having your horse walk along the edge of a steep hill. Fishing in the pond or lake is also available. You can Fly Fish or rod and reel. It was a big mosquito area though. The pond was well stocked, but only about half the people had any luck catching anything. There is a spa, but very little time to use it. Fishing on the Lake required you to purchase a license. I don’t know the price.
The return to Jackson Hole is almost 2 hours. You do not have to leave after noon as Disney reservation tells you. The ranch provides transportation in their vans, and you leave based on your flight time. We unfortunately changed our flight when it was not necessary.
Our guides where Daniel and Landon. They did a very good job, and tried very hard to please everyone. The trip was overall an excellent adventure. The weather is very pleasant. Low humidity, and temps with highs in the 60’s or 70’s. Lows where in the 30’s to 40’s. The scenery is truly amazing, and Disney does most things first class.
Happy Trails and have a great Quest for the West!!!

Thanks for the TR! Sounds like you had a great time.
We are going on this adventure in August and really looking forward to it.
I have just a few quick questions:
-Did you need to pack (or wish you had packed) any special shoes/equipment/etc for the activities on this trip? (i.e. do you need water shoes for the whitewater rafting? Do you wear your swimsuit--or is it too cold?)
-Other than the Mosquitoes, anything else to look out for? Did you ned heavier jackets? Did most people hang out in Jeans all day--or were shorts more appropriate?
-We are also arriving a day early. Was there anything in Jackson Hole that you would really recommend doing before the official tour starts up?

Any info would be much appreciated!!!!
Thanks!
Turtlemom :)

Thanks for the report! We are on the Aug 30th tour.

Were there any kids on your tour? What ages?
Do you think we need to have the hiking sneakers or will reg sneakers do?
This is our first ABD. Do you think that it is significantly better than doing it on your own?
Is there anything that you wish somebody had told you prior to your trip?

I may add more questions later. Thanks!!

To answer the above questions, You can not wear flip flops white water rafting, but you can wear crocs. Basically, the shoe has to have a back. They do rent booties and wet suites. The booties are around 2 dollars, and the wet suites around 8. Wet suites are not necessary, because the sun keeps you warm, even though the water temp is around 52. Water shoes are your best bet. They recommend no cotton clothes on the river. You can wear a bathing suit or the moisture wicking type of clothes, that you would use to exercise in. Most people wore tennis shoes around. However, it was muddy at Brooks Lake Lodge, due to a rain/hail storm. So, if you want to hike there, it would be good to have hiking boots. Most people dressed in layers, with both shorts or capri's being used during the day, with some jeans at night or up at Brook Lakes. Jackets where mostly medium to light weight. Heavy jackets would probably be too much. We did have many kids, both boys and girls on our trip, and they had a blast hanging out together. Their ages where from around 8 to 14, with most being around 11. We did the Alpine Slide, and Maze for the kids. Most people did that with their kids, and it was a big hit. There is also putt-putt, and a small bungy jump at the Alpine Slide location. You can rent hot air balloons, or take private early tours of Yellowstone, if you don't mind spending alot of extra money. Shopping was fun for the ladies. There is also a theater that was showing Transformers in town. I do think Disney is the way to go, they make it where you don't have to worry about anything, and do a good job of avoiding the crowds. They do it first class, and get you reservations at places it would be very hard to get on your own. I can't think of anything else that we wish we had known. I will post if I think of anything else. I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

We leave Aug 25th!

did you encounter issues with certain parts of the itinerary having to be substituted as a result of weather or any other circumstances beyond the guide's control?

I have a "type a" personality with me on this trip and we have to work really hard to be flexible and I just worry that we paid as much as we did and may feel "underwhelmed" with rooms and food. I am trying to make plans on the Africa Signature and that will ride on how well this trip goes!

Thx

We did not have anything that went wrong on our trip, where we had to reschedule anything. Our only surprise was the difference in accommodations at Brooks Lake. Disney had indicated cabins, which is not accurate for the whole group. All the rooms where well decorated and serviced, but definetly not the same size. We did hear that the group before us, had a bus problem at Grand Teton. The bus either was broken or failed some kind of inspection. They had to wait for 3 hours for a bus to come from Yellowstone to get them because they could not get the charter bus company to send a bus until the next day. However, I will say that Disney has always gone above and beyond to make things work smoothly. If there is any problem they try very hard to work it out. I know I got sick while in Costa Rica last year, and they made sure I got to the hotel room well ahead of schedule. They also worked on the accomodations at Brooks Lake until they thought everyone was happy. They really do everything possible to make it all go smoothly, in our experience. The overall food was excellent, with the exception of Old Faithful. You do not have to eat there, but they do hold tables for you if you want to. This is not easy to do, as the main dining room books up well in advance. You can eat at several other less expensive places. You are given your guides cell phone numbers, and they are available 24/7 if needed. Almost all national park rooms are basic, and Old Faithful Snow Lodge is better than most. I don't think you could do better in a national park on your own. I hope that info helps, and you have a great time.

Funny, I think that staying at the Wilderness Lodge at WDW confused me as to the real nature of accommodations at national parks these days. I am kind of bummed out, in advance, about what I've heard regarding the Southwest trip we are taking next month. Especially when you read about other ABD trips with fantastic accommodations (see the South Africa trip report - looks beautiful). But better to know in advance. I'm working on keeping my chin up and looking forward, at least, to some hot weather - it's been very cold and damp here in the Northeast, and at least I know it won't be that way at the Grand Canyon!

Thank you so much for posting a trip report! We are on the 8/2 Quest for the West trip. Our sons are 18. Were there any young adults on your tour? How many total people on your tour?

I'm so glad you enjoyed the rafting. The boys are looking forward to that.

Teresa

There were not any young adults on our particular trip. However, our daughter went with us last year to Costa Rica, and she was age 21. She enjoyed getting to know the adults on the trip. Also, our guides where 23 and 27, and where very personable young men. So, if you have the same guides, I think your sons will enjoy getting to know them. There are 31 people max on this trip. Brooks Lake will not hold any more than that. Normally, you can have up to 40.
The white water rafting is great, and I think they will really enjoy it. There is also hiking, horseback riding, and fishing at Brooks Lake. The Alpine Slide in Jackson Hole is also very good for young adults. It is definetly challenging enough for most 18 year olds. It is about 2500 feet, and you can race down. We saw many teens and adults doing this.
As far as the national park rooms go, Old Faithful Snow Lodge is not bad. It is fairly new and was clean, with good food. The national park rooms are just smaller, with 2 double beds, and are basic rooms. More like Hampton Inn or maybe a good Days Inn, than an upscale hotel. The size is also small. Our rooms in Costa Rica where fantastic (great space, wonderful views, and great amenities), but we had problems at Quepos with the AC not being up to American Standards, the water pressure low, and the power going off (the generators would kick in). I think it was just a function of where we where. I think Disney will get you the best hotels available for the location you are at. National Parks and other countries just don't always have 4 and 5 star places available. I hope you all enjoy Quest or Southwest. We have heard good reviews of both.

We are thinking of the Quest for the West trip for next year. My question is about the horseback riding. You mentioned a 2 hour ride. Is that the only riding opportunity or were there other chances to ride? Also, my daughter and I are both riders and get pretty bored on those guided trail rides where you just plod along at a walk behind each other. Is that the kind of riding it is, or do you actually get to do something other than walk?

Thanks!

The only chance to ride horses, that was included in the price, is at Brooks Lake Lodge. You can pay to do it around Jackson Hole. However, having said that, Brooks Lake was the type of place that you could go on their main ride, as a group or with just your family. So, I think (but don't know for sure) that they would be open to letting you have a different experience than the typical nose to tail trail rides. I know just you and your daughter can go with a wrangler, and hopefully they can give you a chance to do some trotting, etc. The scenery is awesome, and the trail was across streams and up and down hills. They do have limited trails because some snow still covered part of some of the trails. Happy Trails to you!!!!

The only chance to ride horses, that was included in the price, is at Brooks Lake Lodge. You can pay to do it around Jackson Hole. However, having said that, Brooks Lake was the type of place that you could go on their main ride, as a group or with just your family. So, I think (but don't know for sure) that they would be open to letting you have a different experience than the typical nose to tail trail rides. I know just you and your daughter can go with a wrangler, and hopefully they can give you a chance to do some trotting, etc. The scenery is awesome, and the trail was across streams and up and down hills. They do have limited trails because some snow still covered part of some of the trails. Happy Trails to you!!!!

Thanks for the information. So how long are you at Brooks Lake? Can you ride more than once while you are there or is it just the one time? It sounds beautiful! Riding up and down hills, through streams, etc. - sounds great!

Thanks for the great information! We are really excited about our trip and you helped with realistic expectations. Were there fun surprises along the way?
Teresa

Brooks Lake is for one evening and the entire next day. Most people don't think that is long enough, and would like an extra day at Brooks Lake. There are 2 chances to ride. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. As far as surprises, I would say yes there are. Some of which has to do with nature itself, not knowing when you will see a grizzly or a bison, what geyser's will be going off, your first glance of The Teton's or the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, (my youngest son's whole face lit up when he saw the Grand Canyon and the Grizzly). Disney also hands out a Disney Pin a day, has some fun interaction at the Playhouse between the guests and singing cowboys/salon girls, takes pictures and turns them into postcards for you. A slide show is shown on the last night. In Costa Rica, they tried to get you a surprise viewing of Arenal (the volcano) going off at night. They try to keep movie choices a surprise for the kids, and they give out snacks. on the bus for all. They also gave the kids small books about Yellowstone to color on the ride back to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter