Treatment of DVC members

I am AMAZED! I can't believe that we have 20 pages of this (and half of it is people whining!)
This is just funny at this point.

(And those of us who just take what we are getting should get reduced fees IMHO. It costs less to deal with us! LOL!)

Let's blame it all on Michael Eisner!

DVC prices scare the heck out of me......maybe it is because I prefer to have the atititude that I can take my 4 elsewhere at any time....

How about making all the rooms non-smoking? Would that take care of part of the problem? DH is over here saying you have owners that bought thinking they are going to get to smoke in their own rooms. I say smoke on the balcony if you are lucky enough to get one.

CarolA said:
I am AMAZED! I can't believe that we have 20 pages of this (and half of it is people whining!)
And the rest of the posts are people whining about people whining! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ETA: That would be twenty-one pages now :teeth:.

DisneyMomOfThree said:
How about making all the rooms non-smoking? Would that take care of part of the problem? DH is over here saying you have owners that bought thinking they are going to get to smoke in their own rooms. I say smoke on the balcony if you are lucky enough to get one.

That would only make the situation worse. Until mandated by law, your DH is correct--a large contingent of members would not be happy, and justifiably so.

Also, chances are some smokers would disregard the rules and smoke in the room anyway. Those expecting a non-smoking unit would never really know what they would get until they arrived at the unit itself.

And, being the guest-friendly organization that Disney is, I can't see it alienating so many current and potential guests by going 100% non-smoking. If the lawmakers forced their hand, it would be a totally different situation.

disneyberry said:
...the whole Johnny thing has me ROTFLMAO!
Not to mention the weird Veruca Salt tie-in. As many of you know, Mr. Depp will be playing <strike>DrTommorrow</strike> Willy Wonka in the soon-to-be-released remake.

This thread's turning into a movie-marketing Ouija Board!

True Confessions:
1.I had to google Veruca Salt.
2. I try to read Tinkgirls posts but my eyes keep getting drawn to the photos of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!!
3. Can't we get Tinkgirl to post on this thread so I can get my JD fix?

OK, which of you guys are Augustus Gloop??? :confused3

I don't mind being called Veruca Salt if I can get a nonsmoking studio with a tub. It can have a view of the Oompa-Loompas trailer park and I wouldn't care.

veruca2.jpg

lenshanem said:
OK, which of you guys are Augustus Gloop??? :confused3

I don't mind being called Veruca Salt if I can get a nonsmoking studio with a tub. It can have a view of the Oompa-Loompas trailer park and I wouldn't care.

veruca2.jpg

There's an oopma loompa trailer park view!? I'm so glad I know! Do you think they would guarantee that request? :rotfl:

That would only make the situation worse. Until mandated by law, your DH is correct--a large contingent of members would not be happy, and justifiably so.

Why is it justified to be unhappy because you can't smoke in your room (in opposition to your contract) but not justified to be unhappy that there is no balcony? (which is promised in your contract)
My obtaining a balcony won't cause you health problems, my getting a room where someone was smoking can severely impact mine. I watched my Mom die of lung cancer and learned the hard way the dangers of smoking first and second hand.
You defend the right of the smoker to complain if not given what was promised but jump all over me for the same thing.

jnrrt said:
There's an oopma loompa trailer park view!? I'm so glad I know! Do you think they would guarantee that request? :rotfl:

Don't you know requests aren't guaranteed?!? :rotfl2:

Whew. I'm so glad that the DVC family here has, once again, turned things in a silly direction :teeth: . I have to admit, I got a good laugh when someone referred to moi as "meek" - so did DW! :rotfl2:

I'm really not evil, honest (delightfully twisted - you bet! But evil? Not so much). I really do wish that there was a way for each and every DVC owner to have every request met at every resort during every stay. Sadly, that's impossible; someone has to overlook the dumpster, someone has to be farthest from DTD at SSR, someone has to be by the access road, or tennis courts, or in the farthest room from the elevator ( :angel: Hi, Rich!). And my only point is that DVC ownership is a zero-sum situation:
Zero-sum describes a situation in which a participant's gain (or loss) is exactly balanced by the losses (or gains) of the other participant(s). It is so named because when you add up the total gains of the participants and subtract the total losses then they will sum to zero. Cutting a cake is zero- or constant-sum because taking a larger piece for yourself reduces the amount of cake available for others.
. So when someone else rejects a "less desireable" room, another DVCer is likely going to get stuck with it. What an individiual does with that knowledge is up to them and their own personal metaphysical belief system.

Be well!

PS Although I think that Gene Wilder will always be Willy Wonka, if they had to do a remake, I couldn't have thought of anyone better than Johnny Depp to do it. I'm a big fan of his; although, I suspect, not in the same way as some others on the DIS.... :love2: :love:

LakeAriel said:
Why is it justified to be unhappy because you can't smoke in your room (in opposition to your contract) but not justified to be unhappy that there is no balcony? (which is promised in your contract)
My obtaining a balcony won't cause you health problems, my getting a room where someone was smoking can severely impact mine. I watched my Mom die of lung cancer and learned the hard way the dangers of smoking first and second hand.
You defend the right of the smoker to complain if not given what was promised but jump all over me for the same thing.

Two points:

1. Reportedly as many as 20% of DVC rooms are Smoking Optional. That tells me that roughly 20% of 90,000 members choose to smoke. We're talking about one situatuation that would impact nearly 20,000 people every single trip for the next four decades vs. another that MAY impact one random guest per day (non-issue of that studio is booked as part of a lockoff.) If you can't see the distinction there, it's not worth my time to try and explain it further.

2. I like the way you are conveniently omitting the fact that you had already turned down a perfectly good room with a balcony / porch over "security" concerns. :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Gee, where are those first floor Disney resort room crime statistics when I need them... :rolleyes1

tjkraz said:
Gee, where are those first floor Disney resort room crime statistics when I need them... :rolleyes1

We had a snake outside our patio door at OKW. I'm sure he was trying to break in. If only he had opposable thumbs ... who knows what he might have done!

OKWSnake.JPG

I wasn't going to come back into this thread, but I am glad I did.

:rotfl2: You guys and gals are funNY!!!

I'm curious as to where in the CONTRACT it promises a balcony/patio??? I don't recall that in any of the legal documents.

As per my Member Guidebook when I purchased.

Your Home Away From Home
The Villa's At Wilderness Lodge
A Disney Vacation Club Resort

Amenities
Studio's have a queen sized bed with double sleep sofa, wet bar, color television and private porch or balcony.

Word for word

DrTomorrow said:
someone has to overlook the dumpster

I forgot to request this when we last stayed at VWL. If so many people hate it there must be something of value to it. :crazy:

-Joe

LakeAriel,

The Member Guidebook is not part of the contract, though it is an important source of information. Only the POS for your resort and the Multi-Site POS, as well as the Product Understanding Checklist represent binding documents as I understand it.

OMG robinb!!! I wish I wouldn't have seen that pic of the snake! We will be at OKW next week and now I'm freaked! I can handle any kind of bugs, but not snakes! Last trip at OKW hubby and I spent about an hour chasing a lizard around the room. One night we had a huge frog attached to our doorknob... Man, that place is like being in the amazon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter