Treasure Missing Lookout Cay Not An Issue Anymore

Except that school age kids grow up, so it's a relatively short window of restriction for parents. Teachers can't travel at length off season until they hit retirement age. Also, a lot of parents do travel with kids while school is in. They just take their kids out of school for a week or two. Most teachers simply do not have that option.
Most people only get 2-4 weeks vacation a year so there is that trade off. Lots of people work holidays. As much teachers want me to feel sorry for them I don't. I think you kind of knew before you became a teacher that you have to travel during peak season just like first responders have to work holidays. Should Disney give a teacher discount.? I've never heard of a cruise line doing that, but that's up to them.

Most people only get 2-4 weeks vacation a year so there is that trade off. Lots of people work holidays. As much teachers want me to feel sorry for them I don't. I think you kind of knew before you became a teacher that you have to travel during peak season just like first responders have to work holidays. Should Disney give a teacher discount.? I've never heard of a cruise line doing that, but that's up to them.
I'm not a teacher. Your response was quite hostile and rude.

Last edited:
Were there any actual paying guests on the Magic or was it a #hosted nonrev cruise?
There was a mixture of paying guests on the Magic but since it was billed as a preview cruise, there were things that were stated may be missing and not complete however, once inaugural started, everything should’ve been ready to go. But wasn’t.

Teacher tax? A lot of people can only travel when schools are out. Prices are higher when demand is higher. You are no worse off then parents of school age kids.

And a lot take their kids out of school when school is in… have you been to a Disney park or on a Disney cruise during school days?! The parks are literally crawling in kids. Do you think all those kids are home schooled? It’s undeniable parents have more choices than teachers. I’m not a teacher but I have eyes.

And a lot take their kids out of school when school is in… have you been to a Disney park or on a Disney cruise during school days?! The parks are literally crawling in kids. Do you think all those kids are home schooled? It’s undeniable parents have more choices than teachers. I’m not a teacher but I have eyes.
The teachers in my family love their Summers off, Christmas break, all holidays off. The get to go places on weekdays in the summer when most of us are limited to weekends. It's only on this forum where I hear teachers complain. WDW is the cheapest and least crowed in the Summer so I guess now were down to just cruises. I will trade a teachers PTO for mine any day.

The teachers in my family love their Summers off, Christmas break, all holidays off. The get to go places on weekdays in the summer when most of us are limited to weekends. It's only on this forum where I hear teachers complain. WDW is the cheapest and least crowed in the Summer so I guess now were down to just cruises. I will trade a teachers PTO for mine any day.

Great. And it’s only on this forum that I see teachers put down. So if you would trade for a teachers PTO any day, why aren’t you a teacher? After all you said earlier everyone knows what it is going in. In the end it’s not about complaining but acknowledging an obvious truth that teachers can’t go to the parks and cruises during school time. Whats so difficult about that?

No job is perfect and we all think the grass is greener. Work is work. Most vacations are better in the warm Summer months and long days regardless if you have kids or whatever your job is. Anything out of Florida might be an exception to that rule.

Great. And it’s only on this forum that I see teachers put down. So if you would trade for a teachers PTO any day, why aren’t you a teacher? After all you said earlier everyone knows what it is going in. In the end it’s not about complaining but acknowledging an obvious truth that teachers can’t go to the parks and cruises during school time. Whats so difficult about that?
I'm not putting teachers down LOL.. All I said was I would love the summers and holidays off. What's wrong with that? If being jealous of their PTO is a put down... then guilty as charged...I guess.

OP changed the title of the thread.
After Camcolt's post, so it can stay. :mickeybar

We are now free to talk about how teachers need vacations (which I'm not really sure was ever really questioned and was more of a statement anyway). Case closed on that one, now we can go back to the original OP maybe..? Please?

Nothing of this size or complexity works right out of the gate. I was on a cruiser where the toilets didn't work the first time we got her underway; we didn't stay out too long.

A few musings: with as large as LC is (per the map the vast majority is undeveloped), I wonder what the long term expansion of activities looks like. Granted, CC doesn't really have a lot to do outside of beach/sun/bikes, and they've not expanded there either. Also, COVID happened right in the beginning of development. IIRC, there was a lot more planned in the initial drop of the map (can't find it off hand). I wonder if/how much the pandemic and the organization and supply chain impacts derailed the development of the initial LC capability?

musings...

After Camcolt's post, so it can stay. :mickeybar

We are now free to talk about how teachers need vacations (which I'm not really sure was ever really questioned and was more of a statement anyway). Case closed on that one, now we can go back to the original OP maybe..? Please?
That is pretty funny.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for a vacation. I'm giving the Wish a second chance in August. Now that I know what to expect I'm wondering if it will be a better experience.
I honestly think LP will end up being fine for most people. It doesn't seem much different than CC in terms of activities. I guess some people were expecting more to do.

Nothing of this size or complexity works right out of the gate. I was on a cruiser where the toilets didn't work the first time we got her underway; we didn't stay out too long.

A few musings: with as large as LC is (per the map the vast majority is undeveloped), I wonder what the long term expansion of activities looks like. Granted, CC doesn't really have a lot to do outside of beach/sun/bikes, and they've not expanded there either. Also, COVID happened right in the beginning of development. IIRC, there was a lot more planned in the initial drop of the map (can't find it off hand). I wonder if/how much the pandemic and the organization and supply chain impacts derailed the development of the initial LC capability?

musings...
People hated the Dream when it first came out because it had some kinks to work out, and it wasn't the Magic or Wonder.

People hated (and still do hate) the Wish because it had/has some kinks to work out and it's not the Magic, Wonder, Dream, or Fantasy.

People don't like Lookout Cay right now because it has some kinks to work out and it's not Castaway Cay.

I'm going to give it some time.

People hated the Dream when it first came out because it had some kinks to work out, and it wasn't the Magic or Wonder.

People hated (and still do hate) the Wish because it had/has some kinks to work out and it's not the Magic, Wonder, Dream, or Fantasy.

People don't like Lookout Cay right now because it has some kinks to work out and it's not Castaway Cay.

I'm going to give it some time.

Here here. I can see the potential in LC, and even as it is today it will be a fun new adventure for me in September. A chance to see another side of Disney. And this is from someone who enjoyed the 4 visits I had to CC. Never understood why people are always so resistant to new ideas, especially when the old ones are still right there and can still be enjoyed. What would be the point of Castaway Cay version 2?

As far as activities go, the one thing I never see acknowledged is while LC may have fewer on site activities, it has available island excursions that far exceed what is available on CC.

I ignored the nay sayers about the Wish and enjoyed my time there, but it was several months after the first sailing so I guess they got the kinks worked out.

I’m hoping because it’s not the first cruise but still winter break prices (teacher 😭) I’ll hit a blogger sweet spot between those wanting to be first and those who are not willing to spend the money. I recognize I also may be in denial. 🤣
Winter break is CRAZY! It's when I would shed the most tears as a crew member (obviously in private 😂) I joined the Wish 2 weeks after the maiden voyage and I'd say the first 3-4 months we're pretty wild. The good thing about the treasure is it's the second of it's class so A) guests now know how the layout is and B) builders and crew will be more comfortable with it because it's a repeat (I'm sure they'll transfer a decent chunk of Wish crew to the treasure)

I'm not putting teachers down LOL.. All I said was I would love the summers and holidays off. What's wrong with that? If being jealous of their PTO is a put down... then guilty as charged...I guess.

Again, it's not PTO. If teachers are getting paychecks during the summer, it's because their contracts spread their pay over 12 months. Not all school districts do that - more than a few only issue paychecks during the school year. The teachers aren't getting any income during the summer unless they have another job. So that is why there was pushback to your response.

But if you'd truly like to experience that, check with your local board of education for their teacher requirements. Most have pathways in for second career people, and we have a teacher shortage right now. I'm sure they'll be happy to work with you to get you in the classroom.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter