Transient tax - Villas at Disneyland?

anricat

DIS Veteran
I thought there was a transient tax for Villas at Disneyland? But I didn't see one charged on my card. It was charged for our trip to Aulani a week later so I'm sort of confused.

There definitely is and they usually charge it at check-in.
Weird. I wonder how I got missed. I didn't go to the desk to check in (we went straight to the room and used the app to unlock the door) but I did go by the desk at one point on our second day because our Magic Bands wouldn't open the door ("they don't do that") and I couldn't use them to charge to the room ("they don't do that either") and she gave me room key cards and didn't say anything so I would have thought she would have mentioned it if there were some kind of issue with my card (not that there should be since Aulani was able to charge it no problem).

Weird. I wonder how I got missed. I didn't go to the desk to check in (we went straight to the room and used the app to unlock the door) but I did go by the desk at one point on our second day because our Magic Bands wouldn't open the door ("they don't do that") and I couldn't use them to charge to the room ("they don't do that either") and she gave me room key cards and didn't say anything so I would have thought she would have mentioned it if there were some kind of issue with my card (not that there should be since Aulani was able to charge it no problem).
You must have put a card on file with pre-check in… nothing there?

Literally nothing. I don't know! So odd! The one from Aulani billed as "Disney Resort Hotels" and I assume the one from Disneyland would be the same? It's just not there. I didn't get a folio from Disneyland in my email. Just Aulani. We were there June 1-4.

Literally nothing. I don't know! So odd! The one from Aulani billed as "Disney Resort Hotels" and I assume the one from Disneyland would be the same? It's just not there. I didn't get a folio from Disneyland in my email. Just Aulani. We were there June 1-4.
So you already stayed.. interesting. Id love to say you got away with not paying it.. but I think thats too good to be true. Id check all my credit cards.

Found it! It was on a completely different card than I thought. And wow, that was a pretty hefty chunk of change. It was over double what we paid at Aulani and was a much shorter stay than our Aulani stay.

Found it! It was on a completely different card than I thought. And wow, that was a pretty hefty chunk of change. It was over double what we paid at Aulani and was a much shorter stay than our Aulani stay.
I usually go down and pay with a Disney Gift Card the night before check out to at least save 5% on it….

It was over double what we paid at Aulani and was a much shorter stay than our Aulani stay.
I did a dive into the ToT when we last stayed at VGC. VDH per night depending on season/room range from 27.80 per night to 556 per night = 2.73$ per point. Aulani ranges from 9.69$ per night to 111.45 per night.

VGC is 0.51$ per point baked into dues.

When we were at Aulani, we kind of shrugged off the ToT but it’s a bigger chunk of change at VDH

Last edited:
For us when we checked in they put a temporary authorization on our card for the transient tax amount + $250 in incidentals.

Easy to do with the hustle and bustle of Disneyland paired with the downtime of Palm Breeze Bar & Trader Sam’s!
We were closing down the parks each night! We did not attend either of those though, unfortunately. But I did get to go to Club 33 with a friend of mine!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest