Transferring a Magicband to family member

disneyjackie

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
I know that it's Disney's official policy that you can't transfer magic bands from one person to another, but we have a large family trip coming up, and one person will not have a magic band. This is a bummer when it comes to making Fastpass+ selections. If I can borrow a magic band from someone not going on this trip, will they be able to use it to get into the park?

My only concern is that the fingerprint scan to get into the park will not match the one of the "real" magic band owner, but my understanding is that Disney retains those for a brief period, and uses them only to make sure people aren't sharing multi-day tickets. Do you think it's worth trying?

(Let's also ignore the fact that Disney's current advisory is that Fastpass+ is only available to those with active resort reservations, because I have been able to make Fastpass+ reservations on bands not linked to resort reservations. )

If you linked a ticket to the Magic Band, it would show up under the original owners account. So you would not be able to make any FP+ reservations with it.

Why won't the person have an MB? Staying off site? If staying on site but the person doesn't want MB, they can still get an RFID KTTW and be part of FP+ without using an MB... If staying off site, sorry - bands are not transferable.

Magic bands are linked to the individual they were given to originally and cannot be transferred to anyone else. We tried this about a month ago when my child lost their magic band and we had another one that was colored (child didn't want gray) and they said there was no way to transfer a band.

You can't transfer a magic band to another user. Disney hasn't set up any way to do this.

Your bands are not linked to resort reservations or to anything else. There is no information stored on the bands. The bands read whatever is listed on your My Disney Experience profile.

When MBs are created they are linked to a user's profile on My Disney Experience. The bands then read anything in that profile when they are scanned. They cannot be transferred because they are linked to an individual. Someone can wear a band that does not belong to them, but they would be using up the FP+s of the person to whom the band is assigned.

Just an idea, but do you have any space available in any of your resort reservations? If you do, you can add the extra person so they can receive a MB. They do not need to stay in that room.

Someone can wear someone else's band and use it to redeem fastpasses, but they will not be able to use it for park entry.

Park entry requires a finger scan as well as the band scan, so the proper ticket must be linked to the MDX account associated with that band.

Just an idea, but do you have any space available in any of your resort reservations? If you do, you can add the extra person so they can receive a MB. They do not need to stay in that room.

If the person is 18 or over, they may trigger the extra adult charge on a room reservation (not applicable for DVC) so you should keep that in mind if you consider it.

Thanks, everyone for the replies and suggestions. I understand that there is no way of officially transferring a band from one person to another, but, for example, if Joe has a magic band from a previous visit, and we purchase a ticket to link to Joe's band, and Joe invites Bob to help plan his trip (so the FP can be managed by another account), and then Bob uses Joe's magic band to get into the park, will Disney still have Joe's fingerprint on record and deny Bob access to the park? (Assume Joe's visit was months ago.) Also, in this situation, if Bob purchased a 5-day ticket, it would be only Bob using the ticket on all 5 days.

My understanding was that Disney only retains fingerprint information to prevent people from sharing multi-day tickets, but I was wondering if anyone has confirmation of this. Do they also keep fingerprint information to prevent people from sharing magic bands?

I'm not trying to cheat Disney out of money or game the system, but we have 8 magic bands (2 rooms at max occupancy at the Pop Century) and 1 additional person who will be staying off-site for the duration of the trip. It just creates a logistical nightmare if he doesn't have the same fastpasses as the rest of the party.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks, everyone for the replies and suggestions. I understand that there is no way of officially transferring a band from one person to another, but, for example, if Joe has a magic band from a previous visit, and we purchase a ticket to link to Joe's band, and Joe invites Bob to help plan his trip (so the FP can be managed by another account), and then Bob uses Joe's magic band to get into the park, will Disney still have Joe's fingerprint on record and deny Bob access to the park? (Assume Joe's visit was months ago.) Also, in this situation, if Bob purchased a 5-day ticket, it would be only Bob using the ticket on all 5 days.

My understanding was that Disney only retains fingerprint information to prevent people from sharing multi-day tickets, but I was wondering if anyone has confirmation of this. Do they also keep fingerprint information to prevent people from sharing magic bands?

I'm not trying to cheat Disney out of money or game the system, but we have 8 magic bands (2 rooms at max occupancy at the Pop Century) and 1 additional person who will be staying off-site for the duration of the trip. It just creates a logistical nightmare if he doesn't have the same fastpasses as the rest of the party.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

The bands are tied to the user, not the park pass or the hotel stay. Joe's MBs are created for him and permanently linked to his profile. They will read any park passes in his profile. Bob cannot use his band because it will be reading Joe's profile and accessing Joe's park ticket. You can create a profile for Bob and link a park ticket to it, but Joe's band will never be able to read it because it will always be linked to Joe's profile. Nothing is on the band itself. It simply has a chip that reads whatever is in the user's profile when scanned.

My understanding is some how with kids (and maybe your situation) they do not want to split up parties. I haven't tried it, but my husband and I have MB from our weekend at the Wine and Dine half marathon that are linked to our annual passes. but not the kids. My parents checked into it and they said we could make FP reservations and then get a hard copy FP for anytime for the same attraction and they would be admitted with us. They said they didn't want to split up kids from parents. But I wasn't sure, so on our last visit, I scrubbed all my reservations and ended up getting paper FP. But we are going to try it Dec. 27th at the MK. We made reservations for FP for 4 adults on their MB and we will try the paper route for the kids.

Certainly if bob pretends to be joe for the 5 days ..... How many times someone in my party has not been able to get their own legitimate finger to scan properly and the CM has waved them through..

They wouldn't likely reset the finger scan to bob's so you'd have to pull the same dumbfounded look each of the 5 days...

And since you are buying fresh ticket media on joes band, who knows.... Be even better if joe let you access his MDE account directly

Just my thoughts... I don't condone the behaviour

I would think if you have a plastic ticket card for Bob - link it to Joe's band and make FP+ res. Then have Bob put the MB in a bag and use the CARD (legitimately his) for admission - he could use the FPs on the band. No fingerprint issue since he used his own card for admission.

As long as Joe is not going on this trip they above will work, however, Bob may be denied park access if he uses the band for park entry because his finger biometrics do not match Joe's. If he enters with his ticket instead he should be all set and should be able to use the FP+s on the MB.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest