• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Torn on Options for Adults-Only Trip

pwrflpills

...would rather be at the Rose & Crown.
Going late September for an adult only getaway with my DGF who has AP and torn between CSR for $440 total (never stayed but have had dinner at Casa Maya and drinks at the pool), Dolphin for $510 total (stayed a dozen times and is our usual "home base", would have to pay for parking) and YC/BC for $1000 total (always wanted to stay and have eaten there many times; have stayed at BW). Pretty aware of what each has to offer, but wonder if anyone can help tip the scales for me or justify the big jump in cost for YC/BC beyond it "feeling nice".

The primary activity is going to be an adult fun day at EC, followed by a possible park day or resort lounge day. Last day would be morning resort lounging, lunch, and drive home. Uber from CSR to EC resorts to go through IG is about $20 addt'l cost total, plus waiting, etc. No real impact, just not awesome.

There's no "budget" per say, but it's a big $ jump to YC/BC and I need to think more about spending double for a couple of nights and likely just a garden view. Wondering if Stormalong Bay is kiddy central (always seen lots of kids but never paid attention for a couples trip) I love the more upscale theming, the pool, the restaurants are decent (not sure where we'll end up getting reservations at this point...parks or there). What do you think?

Of the three resorts you mention I've only stayed at Coronado (as a solo adult 2x in the past 2 years) and for the cost Coronado is hands down pretty incredible. Plenty of food and bar options and a great pool. It's relaxed without a lot of the bustle of kids in your face. It's buses only yes but a super quick ride to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and I never had an issue with them.

It seems like Coronado and Dolphin are pretty neck in neck in terms of cost so if you wanted to try something new and without spending more my vote is Coronado.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably stay at the Dolphin. Based on your itinerary, an Epcot area resort would be most convenient because you could walk to International Gateway. That would leave YC/BC or Dolphin. YC/BC are wonderful, but so is the Dolphin for half the price. There's no huge difference in transportation like there would be if you were going to MK multiple times or something. Just keep in mind the resort fee which can sometimes be forgotten in the initial price.

Room category at CSR would make a difference to me - would you be staying in the Tower? If not, I would probably pick Dolphin.
^ditto

I love the Tower at CSR, but I didn’t like the outer areas. If the comparison is outer rooms at CSR vs Dolphin I’d do Dolphin. If it’s Tower vs Dolphin that’s too hard for me to decide! Both good options for an adults trip!

Isn’t ycbc construction now? Kiddie central so I’ve heard. For a quick trip as mentioned I think I’d choose dolphin… not a fan of car but do enjoy the food there. Enjoy wherever you wind up!

Another Dolphin here! Have not stayed in CSR tower, but have eaten there and it is really nice, but you can’t beat the location of the Dolphin and also the food options. We are staying at the Dolphin in September as well. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Dolphin for $510 total (stayed a dozen times and is our usual "home base", would have to pay for parking)
Is the Swan on option as it would provide queen beds vs doubles at the Dolphin. And does your $510 include the $40 daily resort fee in addition to the $29 parking nightly?
The primary activity is going to be an adult fun day at EC, followed by a possible park day or resort lounge day. Last day would be morning resort lounging, lunch, and drive home. Uber from CSR to EC resorts to go through IG is about $20 addt'l cost total, plus waiting, etc. No real impact, just not awesome.
Location on Crescent lake is great for an Epcot Day and evening. An Uber is a little tricky unless you have an ADR at one of the Epcot resorts for drop-off., Recently ride-shares have been limited to pickup only at the Epcot resorts only. You also have the Disney Skyliner as an option to explore other resorts as the Rivera, CBR, and POP or just an excursion from the IG Station around to Disney Holiday Studios and a Friendship boat ride back to Swan or Dolphin.

The Crescent lake area provides you access to more than 25+ dining options outside Epcot.

Dave

if you only plan on going to Epcot for the most part stay at swan and dolphin, avoid the uber costs and you'll be walking distance from a few resorts you can enjoy the feel of without sleeping there. That's what I'd do. I stayed a night at Dolphin before 2 at BWV and it was a fantastic hotel with probably the best view I had all trip (looking out to the lake basically where the boat picks up).

Thanks everyone!

Is the Swan on option as it would provide queen beds vs doubles at the Dolphin. And does your $510 include the $40 daily resort fee in addition to the $29 parking nightly?
It's not an option, much more expensive. Yes the resort fee is included, parking is not included. And I actually double checked what you said about doubles and the King room which we would need is $256. Not a huge deal though.

An Uber is a little tricky unless you have an ADR at one of the Epcot resorts for drop-off., Recently ride-shares have been limited to pickup only at the Epcot resorts only.
Good to know, thanks. I go so seldom I forget that people are trying this stuff everyday, lol. With the heat we'll just go the distance to the main entry I suppose. Not the end of the world (but pushing me towards the Dolphin!)

I stayed at Destino Tower at CSR for an adult vacation. Lovely resort that does not scream Disney. Subtle Disney accents. being only a moderate resort it feels like deluxe at the tower. Plus they do offer club level rooms with all those added perks which might be an option for you. I believe it’s the only moderate resort to offer club level. I do hope to try it club level one day.

All three are go tos for me, it just depends on the length of stay and how many times I've been/or are going to WDW that year. I haven't stayed at YC in years because I just can't seem to justify the price, if I'm staying at a Disney deluxe in that area I'll stay at BW. I stay at Dolphin a lot but I drive and between the "resort fee" and the parking, sometimes it's just not that much more for me to stay at BW. If I'm doing a shorter trip, I'll stay at CSR, not a Tower room. I've never stayed in the Tower and don't see doing so when Dolphin is almost the same price sometimes and I can walk to 2 parks from there. I actually have a 6 night trip booked at CSR in early Dec. right now, preferred non-Tower room. I got a great rate with my AP discount. I'm toying with changing that to a split stay, 2 nights Music and 4 nights BW. Even though you can stay at Dolphin for much less, there really is something magical about staying at one of the WDW resorts. I did a stay last year at BW which costed the same as a split stay with a value and Dolphin (love those AP discounts) and just walking into the lobby I could feel the difference.

Honestly, as someone who came through both entrances just last month on our split stay trip there's no material time savings to justify the extra hoops you need to jump through to get to the IG via rideshare. In fact if you care about rides besides Remy you're probably better off coming through the main entrance especially if Guardians goes off of the virtual queue by the time you go.

I agree with PP who said if it's a choice between outer CSR buildings and Swan/Dolphin go with the latter, it's not even close. Gran Destino vs. Swan/Dolphin is a much tougher decision to me and could go either way for me. We are actually debating this for our pre and post cruise stay next year. I adore the tower, it's gorgeous and adult feeling and I like it and CSR as a whole better than BC/YC. More and better onsite food options, fun unique activities like Sangria University, and the grounds are beautiful. But S&D often come out to very similar pricing and get deluxe benefits. Granted, we don't drive so we don't have to factor in parking fees. But I think the length and timing of the trip and park priorities are the biggest deciders. I like GDT for weekend trips where Extended Evening Hours don't come into play, and I'm doing the parks about evenly. But if I'm going to be there over a Monday or a Wednesday, it's S&D for me. That's how I booked there over Labor Day (also because of the insane AP discounts there right now).

No one will stump harder for Disney deluxes than me, and despite how I sound a lot of the time I really do like YC/BC. But I just have a hard time justifying them over Swan/Dolphin as a couple without kids. We stayed at YC last month on a split with Poly because the Visa discount brought it down enough that I wouldn't be kicking myself about how much cheaper S&D is. It wasn't that much more than the king room at the Dolphin we would have booked instead. We enjoyed it, but I don't think it's generally worth the premium for us over S&D since SAB doesn't appeal to us as much as most guests.

The tower would be my choice hands down. We had a split stay last October, staying CL @ GDT and then moved over to BC. I wish we would've just stayed there the entire trip.

Going late September for an adult only getaway with my DGF who has AP and torn between CSR for $440 total (never stayed but have had dinner at Casa Maya and drinks at the pool), Dolphin for $510 total (stayed a dozen times and is our usual "home base", would have to pay for parking) and YC/BC for $1000 total (always wanted to stay and have eaten there many times; have stayed at BW). Pretty aware of what each has to offer, but wonder if anyone can help tip the scales for me or justify the big jump in cost for YC/BC beyond it "feeling nice".

There's no "budget" per say, but it's a big $ jump to YC/BC and I need to think more about spending double for a couple of nights and likely just a garden view. Wondering if Stormalong Bay is kiddy central (always seen lots of kids but never paid attention for a couples trip) I love the more upscale theming, the pool, the restaurants are decent (not sure where we'll end up getting reservations at this point...parks or there). What do you think?
I won't stay at Swan or Dolphin until they renovate their rooms.

I'd go with CSR. Preference would be Grand Destino Tower. All Disney resorts are kid central. However, CSR is also a big convention resort, so sometimes you see a lot of adult business travelers. Disney definitely had this clientele in mind when designing this resort, which I feel makes it more attractive to adult travelers.

There's no where to escape kids anywhere at WDW. I usually go by what I call the stroller factor. Where will I see the least amount of strollers? lol.

Skip BC/YC. SAB is absolutely kid central- if the weather cooperates and the pool is even open. I’d stick with CSR or Dolphin.
Late September = nothing is kid central

You will find kids anywhere but even in July you can easily do the slides, kids don't get in the lazy river as much, and late hours are empty.

Stayed at all 3 in the past 2 years and for adults only I'd go with CSR. YC is great but as everyone stated, the cost is a little much and the pool does get filled with a lot of kids. If proximinty to IG and a balcony are priorities then this is probably your best bet. YC is also an convention resort, as are most deluxe hotels, and we were there during one in 2018. It was pretty low key and we barely noticed them aside from seeing them in the lobby and lounges.

I'll probably never stay in the Dolphin again as long as I live. Rooms were old and they and the halls smelled like mildew. We were there this past March so this wasn't too long ago. There were big conventions at the Dolphin while we were there, with a huge tent set up near the beach on the Swan side, which made it crowded and the lobby was full of conventioneers drinking all night. Very noisy and obnoxious which was also the pool atmosphere in the daytime. The walk to Epcot from The Dolphin takes about the same amount of time as the bus to Epcot from CSR so keep that in mind. It might be right next to the YC but it's a lot farther from IG than you would think.

CSR has lounges open until midnight or later and, after staying there 4 times now with another coming up in August, we have seen conventioneers but were never overwhelmed by them or bothered by them like we were at the Dolphin. Bottom line, if you value good food and nightlife this is the resort for you. My wife and I particularly enjoy taking some drinks to the many chairs around the lake and just enjoying the view. We've never stayed in the tower and really enjoy the openness of the resort in general particularly the quick in and out freedom of the outside buildings. I feel like navigating anywhere from in the tower adds 5-10 minutes to your plans much like deluxe resorts. We do love a deluxe resort but prefer the spread out layout of a moderate. CSR gives you all the amenities of both and is defintely top two of the resorts we've stayed in so far.

Oh, and the buses at CSR are not as bad as everyone makes them sound unless you rope drop. Never had an issue with them late morning or later and the longest we've ever waited for one to go to a park or DS was probably like 25 minutes. At YC we've had to take buses from parks to BWI and Swolphin because those just kept coming and none came for YC. This happened to us twice, one each during different stays. It's nice to have the options to go to other close resorts if that happens but annoying to pay YC prices and have to take buses to other resorts or wait 30 minutes +.

Whatever you choose, none of them are bad per say. You can have a great time at any of them and the conventions at all 3 can be hit or miss. Just weigh your priorities and go with your gut now that you have a wealth of experiences to pull from. Good luck!

I am assuming EC is Epcot? You need to check whether the late extra hours are in play for your dates. If they are, this is no question Dolphin. As adults, you can plan for this and the late hours are the best thing ever.

If EC is something else, and you are not going to parks, I wouldn't do any of these. I'd do one of the resorts on the Hilton lazy river or Margaritaville. Cheaper and better amenities and pools than either of the Disney picks. Heck, the Waldorf was $160 on Priceline blind for my August dates. I'd pick a nicer offsite + Uber over a moderate Disney for sure.

The only reason you would pick the very expensive YC/BC IMO is if you plan to slosh home from Epcot (and then Dolphin/Uber will do anyway) or if you really want to do the big waterslide. SAB is overrun with kids, its playing kids music. It is not an adult thing to do. It is kid central until very late, and even then there are a lot of kids.

For upscale adult, IMO Jaleo at DS must be in this discussion.

To correct some things in this thread, Uber can always drop off at Dolphin even if you aren't staying there. You could get lucky at BC with drop off, or maybe not. I've gotten out at the gate at BC more than once -- the restriction is on cars, not people. Uber in Orlando is always easy and cheap. I wouldn't make this decision based on a few easy Ubers.

Last edited:
Hi Again! No one's been here for a month, lol, but just thought I'd update that I went with a Gran Destino Tower king room with standard view (FL Res rate), which was a little more than a Dolphin king room. Everyone seems to love staying there (we loved walking through the lobby last summer) and coupled with the fact that we always stay at the Dolphin it was worth a try for the refined decor, bars ,food and change of pace. Excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter