Torn Between 3 Restaurants

EdnaMarieMode

DIS Veteran
DH and I are traveling with my father and step-father who have graciously offered to watch our 3 kids so we can have a night out. We are trying to choose between 3 reservations:

California Grill (we have never eaten there, and it is a MNSSHP night)

Yachtsman (our go-to for Disney date nights, and we are at BCV so it’s an easy and early night)

Shula’s (we have been here, I’m not convinced it’s any better than Yachtsman)

Which would you pick? Pros/ Cons I’m not considering?

Last edited:
All three are very good. I vote for something new. California Grill had the view and is a very different feel. The food will be different thant the two Steakhouses though.

All three are very good. I vote for something new. California Grill had the view and is a very different feel. The food will be different thant the two Steakhouses though.

This is where I'm leaning right now. I like the idea of something new, and there's plenty at California Grill I think we'll love.

My major "pros" for the other two are that they are close to BCV so we're nearby if the kids are just too much to deal with (which is irrational- my parents have watched them before and it will be fine), and it would probably be an earlier night because we wouldn't be out watching fireworks (potential 6:30 AM RD at HS the next day to get the 11 yo signed up for Jedi training- but after 3 kids I'm used to running on zero sleep and a ton of coffee).

Cali Grill. Yachtsman and Shula's are steak houses. Cali Grill is an experience. The view is amazing! You can always uber/lyft/Minnie Van there to keep transport times down.

I can only vouch for Cali Grill, have not dined at the other 2. However, we chose Cali Grill our 25th anniversary eve, were staying at AKL and had a resort day and dinner at Jiko's on our actual anniversary :rolleyes:

It was a very memorable and romantic evening. We were fortunate to have a window seat during the HEA fireworks. DH had grouper and I had the lobster. Oh my gosh, that lobster was to die for, so good! I don't like the idea of sushi but DH talked me into trying the California Roll and it was really good! We enjoyed every aspect of our meal at Cali Grill which included drinks and dessert.

Fast forward this past May we went again and took my mom. We all shared the California Roll as an app. I ordered the steak, DH & mom both ordered the grouper. Again, excellent meals for us, but my mom did not like her entree at all and barely touched it. The waiter noticed and asked what was wrong, she said it wasn't fit to eat...the whole ordeal was becoming awkward...but the waiter was so gracious and offered to get her something else...but no, she didn't want anything else. He removed her entree from the bill which I thought was very nice considering my DH whispered to me his dinner was excellent and there wasn't a d*#m thing wrong with her dinner :rolleyes1 Later mom admitted she didn't think she ordered grouper cause she doesn't like grouper :sad2: She did like her wine, the sushi, dessert and of course, watching the fireworks from the outside deck (didn't get that coveted window seat that time)

So, we would highly recommend California Grill and we will go back. But probably not with my mom :teeth:

I can only vouch for Cali Grill, have not dined at the other 2. However, we chose Cali Grill our 25th anniversary eve, were staying at AKL and had a resort day and dinner at Jiko's on our actual anniversary :rolleyes:

It was a very memorable and romantic evening. We were fortunate to have a window seat during the HEA fireworks. DH had grouper and I had the lobster. Oh my gosh, that lobster was to die for, so good! I don't like the idea of sushi but DH talked me into trying the California Roll and it was really good! We enjoyed every aspect of our meal at Cali Grill which included drinks and dessert.

Fast forward this past May we went again and took my mom. We all shared the California Roll as an app. I ordered the steak, DH & mom both ordered the grouper. Again, excellent meals for us, but my mom did not like her entree at all and barely touched it. The waiter noticed and asked what was wrong, she said it wasn't fit to eat...the whole ordeal was becoming awkward...but the waiter was so gracious and offered to get her something else...but no, she didn't want anything else. He removed her entree from the bill which I thought was very nice considering my DH whispered to me his dinner was excellent and there wasn't a d*#m thing wrong with her dinner :rolleyes1 Later mom admitted she didn't think she ordered grouper cause she doesn't like grouper :sad2: She did like her wine, the sushi, dessert and of course, watching the fireworks from the outside deck (didn't get that coveted window seat that time)

So, we would highly recommend California Grill and we will go back. But probably not with my mom :teeth:

Great! I think we have a winner!

I feel your pain- there are a limited number of restaurants I attend with my mom :sad2:

I would go to the California Grill. The only one I have not been to is Shula's and you basically said it is the same as Yachtsman to you. Cali Grill is a special place with the outstanding view and food to match.

I like CG. I love the view!

I also winder if you have thought of Flying Fish. It is among my favorites, and has a decidedly different vibe than many of the WDW restaurants. I am not sure why, but it is more "adult" than some of teh other signature restaurants, and the food is delicious. It opens into AbracadaBar, which is also

I like CG. I love the view!

I also winder if you have thought of Flying Fish. It is among my favorites, and has a decidedly different vibe than many of the WDW restaurants. I am not sure why, but it is more "adult" than some of teh other signature restaurants, and the food is delicious. It opens into AbracadaBar, which is also
LOVE Flying Fish! I agree, it does seem a little more "adult." They just don't have a time slot that's good for us or I'd be mulling over 4 restaurants.

I've only done 2 out of the 3. For me Cali Grill was a bit of a let down. Nothing really wrong with the experience, just not as blown away as I was expecting to be. Yachtsman is my favourite restaurant in WDW and we go every trip. I have never been disappointed there. I have not been to Shula's, but have read only amazing things so I doubt that would disappoint either.

DH and I are traveling with my father and step-father who have graciously offered to watch our 3 kids so we can have a night out. We are trying to choose between 3 reservations:

California Grill (we have never eaten there, and it is a MNSSHP night)

Yachtsman (our go-to for Disney date nights, and we are at BCV so it’s an easy and early night)

Shula’s (we have been here, I’m not convinced it’s any better than Yachtsman)

Which would you pick? Pros/ Cons I’m not considering?

For a date night.

California Grill is an experience, especially with he fireworks and that is exactly what I would suggest. However, if you're looking for quiet romance, that isn't the place. Service is pedestrian. But if you'd like it faster, they'll do it faster.

While I think Shula's is your best steak out of the bunch, it's not unique to WDW, so it never makes our list for TS meals at WDW.

That leaves Yachtsman and Cali Grill. While I've had some very good flatbreads and sushi at Cali Grill, out of 6 or so visits, I have yet to have a good entree. I also don't get the hype over the goat cheese ravioli. On the flipside, while I'm not a huge fan of raved about truffle mac at Yachtsman, everything else I've ever had there has been really good to great. Yachtsman also makes DH's favorite cocktail on property. Still, there is no other draw at Yachtsman beyond the food, while Cali Grill has all of the views...which is a big part of why we've gone back over the course of the last handful of trips.

So, I think if this is just about the food, I'd go for Yachtsman. If you want more of an experience with the meal and want that amazing setting, go for Cali Grill.

I would definitely pick CG because of the food, atmosphere and views. And...you can watch the fireworks from their balcony while you enjoy a glass of wine...

I may be strange but I hated the atmosphere at Yachtsman. It reminded me of an old man's hang out (not a place for a romantic date night). LOL

While I think Shula's is your best steak out of the bunch, it's not unique to WDW, so it never makes our list for TS meals at WDW.

That leaves Yachtsman and Cali Grill. While I've had some very good flatbreads and sushi at Cali Grill, out of 6 or so visits, I have yet to have a good entree. I also don't get the hype over the goat cheese ravioli. On the flipside, while I'm not a huge fan of raved about truffle mac at Yachtsman, everything else I've ever had there has been really good to great. Yachtsman also makes DH's favorite cocktail on property. Still, there is no other draw at Yachtsman beyond the food, while Cali Grill has all of the views...which is a big part of why we've gone back over the course of the last handful of trips.

So, I think if this is just about the food, I'd go for Yachtsman. If you want more of an experience with the meal and want that amazing setting, go for Cali Grill.

Oh no! I was getting kind of excited for goat cheese ravioli!

We have consistently had great meals at Yachtsman as well, so it's tough to walk away from that one (especially when we're already there).

For a date night.

California Grill is an experience, especially with he fireworks and that is exactly what I would suggest. However, if you're looking for quiet romance, that isn't the place. Service is pedestrian. But if you'd like it faster, they'll do it faster.

I've given up on "quiet" anything with three kids in tow (they aren't coming with us to dinner that night but I'm so used to eating dinner with three kids in loud places I don't know if I'd even notice if a marching band came through lol). I'm actually hoping for slower service because it's a 7:10 reservation and fireworks are at 9. Hoping to grab a post-dinner drink and head out for fireworks.

Oh no! I was getting kind of excited for goat cheese ravioli!

We have consistently had great meals at Yachtsman as well, so it's tough to walk away from that one (especially when we're already there).

My dad and I seem to be the only ones who don't love it or even like it. So, you be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter