Top of the World Lounge only when staying at DVC resort?

Was there a few weeks ago, and they were checking credentials. As mentioned, the check-in was moved upstairs now, at the first glass door before the firework viewing deck. But they were turning people away and screening for DVC members and current stays with scans of your band and a view of the DVC membership e-card AND photo ID.
Did they require DVC-Y, or was DVC-ND okay too? Was it different for the fireworks deck vs. the lounge itself?

I assumed it was DVC-Y - but can't be sure. I am DVC-Y, so couldn't test that theory.

BTW - I have a photo of my FL Driver's License kept on my phone so I don't have to carry my ID with me - it has worked for DVC lounges so far...the first few times I brought my license just in case, but used the phone pic - after 6 or 7 times with no problems, I started to leave the wallet and license in the room and just use the photo.

Did they require DVC-Y, or was DVC-ND okay too? Was it different for the fireworks deck vs. the lounge itself?
According to https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...rs/member-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge

Accessing the Lounge

Special access to the Top of the World Lounge – A Villains Lair is available to eligible Members on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. Due to the lounge’s popularity during Happily Ever After—the Magic Kingdom park fireworks—arriving as early as possible will offer Members the best chance of gaining admission to this exclusive experience.

To guarantee a spot for your party, you can book a dining experience. Please refer to the “Wicked Wind Down” and “Enchantment at the Top Dessert Party” sections on this page for more details.

Eligibility

Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members with access to Membership Extras may enjoy this exclusive space just outside Magic Kingdom park when using their Membership to stay at a Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash).

Party Size

Each eligible Membership can enjoy Top of the World Lounge access for one party per day—which can include eligible Members and Guests staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present their current MagicBand, digital Membership card and government-issued photo ID in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck.

Restrictions

No outside food or beverages may be brought in. The lounge is available weekly on select nights, and is subject to blockout dates or limited access on holidays and special event nights. On event nights, Members without reservations may have limited access to outdoor patios at the lounge. In addition, use of outdoor patios is weather permitting.

So under Eligibility it states DVC-Y as being necessary (access to Membership Extras). It used to be open to all DVC members, I think, but I believe this changed when it became Villains Lair. Also under Party Size I've seen that to be true, you can't go up multiple times a day--at least I saw them turn people away (I bet when slower they don't care). However, if you enjoy the lounge earlier in the day, they specifically told me you were allowed onto the viewing deck but not back into the lounge.

According to https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...rs/member-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge

So under Eligibility it states DVC-Y as being necessary (access to Membership Extras). It used to be open to all DVC members, I think, but I believe this changed when it became Villains Lair. Also under Party Size I've seen that to be true, you can't go up multiple times a day--at least I saw them turn people away (I bet when slower they don't care). However, if you enjoy the lounge earlier in the day, they specifically told me you were allowed onto the viewing deck but not back into the lounge.
Thanks. I guess no distinction in eligibility for deck vs. lounge then.

Where was the podium? Outside the lounge entrance or outside the entrance to the fireworks balcony? Just wondering whether non-DVC members could get up there to watch fireworks if they didn’t try to enter the lounge.
The podium was right in front of the entrance to the lounge but they were stopping anyone who walked up to the area. They requested to see my blue card on my phone and a photo id. They didn’t ask where I was staying, I don’t think, but I was staying at BLT.

Also, the lounge doesn’t open until 6 and I believe there is a $55 cover charge which includes one drink and one appetizer. Sorry if anyone has said this already. It’s very confusing to me as I’ve been a member since 2004. Changes are confusing.

Also, the lounge doesn’t open until 6 and I believe there is a $55 cover charge which includes one drink and one appetizer. Sorry if anyone has said this already. It’s very confusing to me as I’ve been a member since 2004. Changes are confusing.
This is only if you do a reservation for the dinning event (Wicked Wind Down) up there. There is walk-up tables held where you can order off a menu a la carte.
Edit: I guess Friday nights are restricted to a dessert party (Enchantment at the Top). Though I think the viewing deck is still open (just some of it is closed off). Other days the Wicked Wind Down is just some seats of the lounge.
The podium was right in front of the entrance to the lounge but they were stopping anyone who walked up to the area. They requested to see my blue card on my phone and a photo id. They didn’t ask where I was staying, I don’t think, but I was staying at BLT.
They usually only restrict TOTW to BLT guests on specific days (like July 4th, etc) but I'm not sure if that has been done Post-COVID. Haven't followed timelines too closely. Also as you stated the Lounge and Firework viewing deck are for DVC-Y guests that are staying on property.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest