• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toothache Help?

but I have to stay in NJ because of my insurance.

even if it's an emergency? i ask b/c my former insurance was similar-limited treatment area EXCEPT in an emergency so long as i was so many miles away from my home address. you might want to see if aspen has availability, explain to them the situation and see if it's something they can run through insurance (if not it may be better to just get seen, pay out of pocket, submit and claim and appeal it if denied).

i am so sorry for your pain. just as an aside b/c i'm sure with mouth pain you are not much into eating right now-but try to make sure and eat some fruits, veg, maybe some oatmeal/cream of wheat to prevent constipation from the t-3's.
Thanks.

:flower3:

I've been sipping chicken broth through a straw, bypassing my teeth as much as I can. As it happens, I'm dieting right now and this is my weigh day. I usually lose an average of two pounds a week. This morning I was six pounds down.

even if it's an emergency? i ask b/c my former insurance was similar-limited treatment area EXCEPT in an emergency so long as i was so many miles away from my home address. you might want to see if aspen has availability, explain to them the situation and see if it's something they can run through insurance (if not it may be better to just get seen, pay out of pocket, submit and claim and appeal it if denied).

When I broke my arm in Philly I went to a Philly hospital, where they stabilized and temporarily casted it until I could get to see an orthopedic surgeon in NJ. My insurance (Medicaid) paid for it. It seems that Aspen takes Medicaid patients, but my particular insurance requires me to switch providers to be seen by a different dentist. It would be a big hassle to switch. I'm about to call the dental office and firmly ask for an antibiotic until I can be seen. I'll report back.

I feel your pain, like you, I had bad teeth. Last one in my family to have teeth. The best advice was, change dentists! I saw the same dentist for like 20 years, he retired, sold to new dentist, they were fine at first, then it was, you need a root canal and a crown, every time I went in. what broke the camels back was, the last time I went in, they were going to do crowns, then said, "Oh you need 2 root canals first" Started on one root canal and told me, "I can't do this one, I have a buddy in another town that would do it, I'll send you there." Well that was the final straw, found a new office and dentist 30 miles away, great place, great people. Oh and to add, the office gal was no better, couldn't ever get the insurance right, one time they told me that I had to send it in like always, I've never sent anything in. Tylenol and Advil, I was prescribed 600 mg of Ibuprofen after a tooth extraction. Tylenol 3 will be a god send, as long as you tolerate it. Some can, some can't. My DW cannot tolerate hard narcotics, but got a long fine with Tylenol 3. Hoping you feel better quickly!

I’m not convinced they will do an antibiotic. I’d push more to be seen than asking for that. It’s like prescribing narcotics today, antibiotics aren’t given out without firm evidence of infection. Someone could potentially get in trouble. Bottom line is that you need to be seen, then they can make the call on what you need. Go to Aspen, at least you’ll see a dentist. And you may even like them. I think I know where you live, is it by Diamond Nation?

I’m not convinced they will do an antibiotic. I’d push more to be seen than asking for that. It’s like prescribing narcotics today, antibiotics aren’t given out without firm evidence of infection. Someone could potentially get in trouble. Bottom line is that you need to be seen, then they can make the call on what you need. Go to Aspen, at least you’ll see a dentist. And you may even like them. I think I know where you live, is it by Diamond Nation?

Diamond Nation is in Flemington, I just looked it up because I'd never heard of the place. I'm closer to Cherry Hill.

BUT-miracle of miracles, when I called the dentist's office to ask for the antibiotic, she told me to come in by 12 and I'd be seen because they'd had a cancellation. I suppose my calling at that exact moment stopped her from giving the appointment to someone else. I guess all the prayers and good wishes from you guys worked. 😇

:grouphug:extra this morning BlueStarryHat and I give God extra thanks too. I am so thankful you are being seen today. I had also never heard of no emergency options. By the time you read this, may you do so with much relief:flower3:🙏

I'm back. I have an infection in the tooth as well as an exposed nerve, yikes. The dentist gave me a prescription for an antibiotic, and I need root canal. They do them at that office, so I won't have to travel. I'm to avoid cold foods and keep all drinks room temperature until the procedure. She said I should have pain relief quickly once I start the antibiotics.

Right now I've just taken the Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail and rubbed some more clove oil on the tooth. She was poking at it, so of course it hurts a bit more than it has been.

It's very possible that you've got an infection working it's way towards an abscess. Only antibiotics will help. I'd consider an MD if that's going to be quicker than the dentist. Tooth pain is the worst - sorry. :flower3:
Exactly this! The pain you’re feeling is from an infection. I’ve had a few root canals and most times I’d have to on an antibiotic before the dentist would open up the tooth for the root canal.

Can you call your regular doctor? We’ve had the same primary care provider for decades, and if we called and explained the situation he’d either get us in right away, or phone in a prescription to the pharmacy.

It can’t be said enough: TOOTH PAIN IS THE WORST!!! :eek::faint::scared1:

I hope that you’re able to get some relief soon. :flower3:

EDITED TO ADD: I’m so glad that you got in today and are now on an antibiotic! Feel better soon! :hug:

Last edited:
I'm back. I have an infection in the tooth as well as an exposed nerve, yikes. The dentist gave me a prescription for an antibiotic, and I need root canal. They do them at that office, so I won't have to travel. I'm to avoid cold foods and keep all drinks room temperature until the procedure. She said I should have pain relief quickly once I start the antibiotics.

Right now I've just taken the Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail and rubbed some more clove oil on the tooth. She was poking at it, so of course it hurts a bit more than it has been.
I’m so glad you were seen and are on your way to pain relief!

I’m so glad you got in to see the dentist and can now get some relief! I’ve been in your shoes with tooth pain. The first time I had this I suffered over the weekend. I could not even sleep. I ended up calling the dentist on a Sunday morning, at home. Fortunately he was family - my uncle’s (by marriage) nephew. He said “meet me at the office”. He discovered an abscess and froze and drained it and gave me antibiotics. What a relief! Then scheduled a root canal and crown. I’ve had a few over the years, but he has since retired and I have a new dentist. I love him, but I’m not sure he would meet me at the office on a Sunday morning. Hope you are resting now with no more pain, especially since it’s Friday.

The nearest Aspen Dental is about a half-hour away. The closest major city is Philly, but I have to stay in NJ because of my insurance. I live in a very small town, but it seems like everyone who lives here needs to see the dentist right now. There is one other dentist in my area, but I've just left them because they are terrible, and I gave them a piece of my mind before leaving so I can't go back to them. I will call them if the pain goes above what it is now-manageable. Promise.

I'm going to call the office right now and ask if I can get an antibiotic in the interim. It's a good idea. Perhaps I'm being too nice about it.
It blows my mind that the doctor you finally did get to actually see didn't take an x-ray and try to diagnose an infection and prescribe antibiotics. Giving you narcotics instead and sending you home to wait is just wildly unheard of here. I'm personally only a few months recovered from a hideous dental issue myself and I can virtually feel your pain :scared:- I'm so sorry this is happening to you. :hug:

Oh PTL!! :worship: I'm so happy to read this update. I guess I should have gone all the way to the end of the thread before replying (previous post). :o

I still can't get over the dentist was going to have you wait an entire week to be seen, and you only lucked into getting a diagnosis and treatment because of a cancellation and you being on the phone with the office at the right time. A tooth infection can be life threatening quickly because of the proximity to the brain. I know you were probably just so glad to be seen and have relief, but I'm wondering if you should ask the dentist how you should go about receiving emergency dental care if needed in the future.

I still can't get over the dentist was going to have you wait an entire week to be seen, and you only lucked into getting a diagnosis and treatment because of a cancellation and you being on the phone with the office at the right time. A tooth infection can be life threatening quickly because of the proximity to the brain. I know you were probably just so glad to be seen and have relief, but I'm wondering if you should ask the dentist how you should go about receiving emergency dental care if needed in the future.

That's a good idea to ask that question about where to go in the future if I have a problem; I'll do that when I'm in the office next. I don't go back until May 3rd when the dentist will look at new x-rays to see if the infection is cleared up so I can get the root canal. May 3rd was the soonest appointment I could get. I'm so exhausted right now I can't even be shocked or annoyed.

That's a good idea to ask that question about where to go in the future if I have a problem; I'll do that when I'm in the office next. I don't go back until May 3rd when the dentist will look at new x-rays to see if the infection is cleared up so I can get the root canal. May 3rd was the soonest appointment I could get. I'm so exhausted right now I can't even be shocked or annoyed.
:faint: Get some rest, even if you need to use something to "knock you out". I promise you'll feel much better soon once those antibiotics kick in. Antibiotics are one of the main reasons I'm so thankful to live in modern times. :worship:

SO glad you were able to be seen and are getting treated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter