Too many men in Disney Princess films?

NiceBlue

Earning My Ears
Due to my post about villains in Disney Princesses some may feel I don’t like those movies, but I do. I just would like them better without the villains or with toned down villains. Another thing that I would like better about those films is if they had more females characters in them.

Linguists Carmen Fought and Karen Eisenhauer had conducted a study into the ratio of female to male speakers in 11 Disney Princess Films from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” to “Brave” plus the film “Frozen,” making for a total of 12 films. What they found was that in only three out of the 12 did female characters have more spoken words than the male characters leaving the male characters in 9 of the films with more spoken words. These percentages varied from “Brave” with 74.4% female spoken words to Aladdin with only 10.6% female spoken words. The other two films with more female spoken words than male spoken words are Sleeping Beauty (67.9%) and Cinderella (57.0%).

Now, this is strange for stories most of which have females as their center. What makes it even stranger is that the reverse is not the case. According to https://pudding.cool/2017/03/film-dialogue/ out of 31 high performing Disney films, from “The Jungle Book” (1967) to 2016, only 6 out of 31 had more than 50% of words spoken by female characters with the rest having female character speaking less than male characters.

It’s been reported that Frozen head of animation Lino DiSalvo stated "Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty." This statement generated a lot of criticism with the result that a Disney spokesperson later told Time that DiSalvo's quote was widely misinterpreted, saying that he was "describing some technical aspects of CG animation and not making a general comment on animating females versus males or other characters." Ok, let’s go with that, so his statement was not a reason to have fewer animated female characters.

Let’s look at some films that had a low percentage of female characters' spoken words and see what could have been done differently. The “Little Mermaid” and “Frozen” were both inspired by Hans Christen Andersen’s stories - “The Little Mermaid” and “The Snow Queen.” In the first story there were the mermaid’s sisters as in the film, but in Andersen’s story they played larger, more important roles and are the ones who tried to save the Little Mermaid. Some of the sisters could have replaced the male friends of Ariel. The ones who actually save the Little Mermaid in the source story were the “Daughters of the Air.” And the Little Mermaid had a Grandmother, who played an important role in the original story.

Gerda, the character in the Snow Queen who Anna parallels in Frozen, meets many female characters on her journey to the Snow Queen’s palace. These are the Magician Flower Woman, A Princess and Prince, The Little Robber Girl (who I feel would have been a great character in the film), the Lapp woman and then the Finn Woman all who help her. Anna could have met similar female characters.

Aladdin has the lowest percentage of female spoken words (10.6%), almost all spoken by Jasmine. In that film the Genie speaks the most, followed by Aladdin, followed by Jafar with Jasmine coming up fourth. There is no reason I can see that the Genie could not be female, afterall a female genie was the main character in a popular TV show, I Dream of Jeannie. Also, Jasmine could have been shown having female friends.

In the film Mulan, Mushu, the sidekick, speaks 50% more words than the title character Mulan. I see no reason why Mushu the dragon could not be female, afterall the dragon Sisu in “Raya and the Last Dragon” is female.

Of the three main cursed objects in Beauty and The Beast, Cogsworth speaks the most words, Lumiere next and Mrs. Potts third with about ⅓ the words Cogsworth speaks. Female objects, such as the Featherduster, could have been given more words and Chip could have been a girl. Then there are the three bimbettes who speak very little in the film. I would have liked them to have a bigger role, possibly with one of them realizing what a jerk Gaston is and going against him.

Disney Princess films could be divided into three eras - The Classics Era, Snow White to Sleeping Beauty; the Renaissance Era, The Little Mermaid to Mulan and the New-Age Era, The Princess and the Frog to Frozen. The Classic Era has on average the highest percentage of female character words (58%) and the Renaissance Era the lowest percentage of female character words (23%), with the New-Age Era in between (50%). The Princess and the Frog, at 39% can be seen as the beginning of the increase in the percentage of Female character words spoken, however it still falls short of parity. In addition to Tiana, the film has Tiana’s mother Eudora, Charlotte La Boulf and Mama Odie as well as the young Tiana and Charlotte. Imdb lists 18 persons in their Top Cast for this film, but only six are female. I feel that in a film set in an area with about equal females and males they could have come up with more female characters.

Pocahontas is the only Official Disney Princess based on a known historical person, but Disney wasn’t too careful with the historical accuracy of her story, mainly in that Pocahontas was eleven years old when she met John Smith and historians have some doubts whether she actually saved him. Given that lack of historical accuracy I see no reason why they couldn’t write the story with women being among the members of the exposition to land in Virginia and have these women be an important part of the story.

Two of the Princess films, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” at 49.3% and “Tangled” at 49.5% are close to parity. All together the 12 films have 23,717 words spoken by female characters and 36,319 words spoken by male characters with a ratio 65.3% female to male words.

Tom,

The spoken word isn't a good measure to look at a character. Some characters do not need words to convey their message or story. Rapunzel is one of the best written Disney princesses because of her inner journey, the change she goes through. She might say a little bit more than Snow White, but her journey is completely different.

It's not how much a character says. It's what she says.

This seems like a deep dive into nothing meaningful. That kind of thing is always going to vary by movie. I mean, Aladdin is the star of his own movie - it's not really a "Princess Film" even if Jasmine is an official princess. Of course, Genie has the most lines because, well, Robin Williams. If you've got that, use it! If the narrative is successful, there isn't really a need to put numbers to it.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I had even thought about how underrepresented different races, creed, and nationalities are in television and movies.

Being a white male I see myself reflected back in nearly everything on television, print ads, movies, etc and as a result never saw the issue. For my entire life I have seen someone that looks much like me reflected back, generally the hero in the story being told.

I can't even begin to understand how people feel living their life and never seeing someone that looks like them on television, prints ads, movies, etc. Or only seeing people that look like them portraying the aggressor or villain. How that might affect their growth and development.

I feel like analysis like this are important and might produce slow change in the media machine so that more people can see themselves in the media they consume.

Media is changing, just slowly.

You only have to look back a few years to see just how much more white and male dominated movies, television, print ads, and commercials were. Now you even see the occasional disabled character portrayed, something that is still rare but 10-20 years ago was even more rare.

The spoken word isn't a good measure to look at a character. Some characters do not need words to convey their message or story. Rapunzel is one of the best written Disney princesses because of her inner journey, the change she goes through. She might say a little bit more than Snow White, but her journey is completely different.

It's not how much a character says. It's what she says.
Especially with the Little Mermaid, since Ariel gave up her voice for over half the movie.

Disney makes various animated films to appeal to a wide variety of viewers. Seems like a needless statistical analysis. There are lots of other films to watch if Disney doesn't happen to appeal to you.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I had even thought about how underrepresented different races, creed, and nationalities are in television and movies.

Being a white male I see myself reflected back in nearly everything on television, print ads, movies, etc and as a result never saw the issue. For my entire life I have seen someone that looks much like me reflected back, generally the hero in the story being told.

I can't even begin to understand how people feel living their life and never seeing someone that looks like them on television, prints ads, movies, etc. Or only seeing people that look like them portraying the aggressor or villain. How that might affect their growth and development.

I feel like analysis like this are important and might produce slow change in the media machine so that more people can see themselves in the media they consume.

Media is changing, just slowly.

You only have to look back a few years to see just how much more white and male dominated movies, television, print ads, and commercials were. Now you even see the occasional disabled character portrayed, something that is still rare but 10-20 years ago was even more rare.

I definitely understand this, however it's very important to also look at the make up by ethnicity of the United States when these movies were made.

rough numbers from what I can find.

currently:

Caucasian: roughly 59%
Hispanic: 18.5%
Black: 12.3%
Asian: 5.4%
Multi-ethnic: 2.5%
Pacific Islander: 0.2%

1970:

Caucasian: 87.4%
Black 11.1%
Hispanic 3%
Asian 1%

That being said, I think that will also show why the hispanic representation has risen so much in movies and shows. The largest increase by far.

Now, I'm also sure that people "self identified" differently a bit 50 years ago for many reasons. But when 87% of a population is Caucasian then it's pretty obvious that is what would be targeted. In the end entertainment and other businesses are looking to turn a profit and will market the largest % of the masses.

It's very interesting to see how the US is becoming more and more diverse and media reflects that. that's a good thing.

A couple of years ago in college, I had to do a mini Ted Talk on any kind of marketing topic. I chose the image of the Disney princess. How she is portrayed.

I ended with that Disney tried to improve their image by changing the male role. Men are villain or funny sidekick. Anything but the hero.

The man cannot rescue the princess anymore. Even with Kristoff and Anna which is a fairly traditional romantic relationship, he cannot rescue her. Anna has to rescue herself, and if she can't rescue herself it has to be Elsa and if Elsa is not available it is Captain Mattias, and that was probably because a POC character has to contribute to the story, even when that is over Kristoff's development or their relationship development.

You know, I've never watched a Disney movie with the thought of Hey, how bout I count the percentage of words female characters say.
Me neither, but if I was a researcher looking for a topic, something like this might be fun :P

You have the Ig Nobel prize for that. It's for "useless" research. This year a Dutch guy won, by proving that chances when flipping a coin are not 50/50, There is a 51% chance that it'll be tails and 49% heads. A lot of people assumed there might be a difference, but it never was scientifically proven. Now it is. The Netherlands have won before with research on drunken worms. We are good at useless stuff ;-)

I think data like this are fun factoids. But not something you have to look too deeply into. Like Aurora is the princess with the least screentime/lines, that's fun for Trivial Pursuit.
And it doesn't have to be bad, Judi Dench won an Oscar for her role in Shakespeare in Love, with only 5:52 minutes of screentime and 4 scenes.

Karin, Brian and Moliphino, your comments would make more sense if we were just speaking about one film, but we are not. As pointed out of 31 high performing Disney films, from “The Jungle Book” (1967) to 2016, only 6 out of 31 had more than 50% of words spoken by female characters with the rest having female characters speaking less than male characters. Not only that, but also according to this graph films with a majority of words spoken by male characters greatly outnumber those spoken by female characters https://mashable.com/article/film-dialogue-gender-charts. Just look at the left side with films that had 100% words spoken by male characters and compare it to the right side with films that had 100% words spoken by female characters.

It’s not just words spoken, according to Hollywood Reporter “Women comprised 38 percent of major characters — defined as appearing in more than one scene and ‘instrumental to the action of the story’ — in 2022, with little significant deviation year over year.”

And it’s not just in films, but also politics, art and literature in which men dominate. Also, behind the camera men dominate as directors, producers and writers. Could that be the reason there are so few words spoken by female characters and so few major female characters? Men have dominated the world, could that explain the lack of speaking female characters?

One area of performance which may see women dominate is dance, which is primarily visual. Could it be that girls and women are to be seen and not heard? The bias against girls and women in so many areas makes this very meaningful, just because someone says it isn’t meaningful doesn't make it so. There is clear bias against girls and women in this society.

Tom,

Karin, Brian and Moliphino, your comments would make more sense if we were just speaking about one film, but we are not. As pointed out of 31 high performing Disney films, from “The Jungle Book” (1967) to 2016, only 6 out of 31 had more than 50% of words spoken by female characters with the rest having female characters speaking less than male characters. Not only that, but also according to this graph films with a majority of words spoken by male characters greatly outnumber those spoken by female characters https://mashable.com/article/film-dialogue-gender-charts. Just look at the left side with films that had 100% words spoken by male characters and compare it to the right side with films that had 100% words spoken by female characters.

It’s not just words spoken, according to Hollywood Reporter “Women comprised 38 percent of major characters — defined as appearing in more than one scene and ‘instrumental to the action of the story’ — in 2022, with little significant deviation year over year.”

And it’s not just in films, but also politics, art and literature in which men dominate. Also, behind the camera men dominate as directors, producers and writers. Could that be the reason there are so few words spoken by female characters and so few major female characters? Men have dominated the world, could that explain the lack of speaking female characters?

One area of performance which may see women dominate is dance, which is primarily visual. Could it be that girls and women are to be seen and not heard? The bias against girls and women in so many areas makes this very meaningful, just because someone says it isn’t meaningful doesn't make it so. There is clear bias against girls and women in this society.

Tom,

Or pehaps another way to look at is for 1000s of years the male dominated society in many positions. So, statistically the fact that translated into roles and speaking words would make sense, no?

I am not saying it's right or arguing at all for or against. But I'm saying it should be common sense.

Obviously, it's been changing. So that's good, no?

But, again, it's not rocket science to know why for so long it has been that way.

With so many sequels out now, it is pretty clear there is giant, gaping hole to fill for someone, ANYONE to author a new, more creative script - and that could be any gender or any nationality, as long as it is creative and the story has appeal to the greater audience. I think what Disney has learned from the past couple of years of failures is a niche movie is going to attract a niche audience and pretty much no one else.

Notice the article did not include reference to the highest grossing movie of 2024, Inside-Out 2. Nothing but female characters in that one, but then not really a princess movie either, so...

Me neither, but if I was a researcher looking for a topic, something like this might be fun :P

You have the Ig Nobel prize for that. It's for "useless" research. This year a Dutch guy won, by proving that chances when flipping a coin are not 50/50, There is a 51% chance that it'll be tails and 49% heads. A lot of people assumed there might be a difference, but it never was scientifically proven. Now it is. The Netherlands have won before with research on drunken worms. We are good at useless stuff ;-)

I think data like this are fun factoids. But not something you have to look too deeply into. Like Aurora is the princess with the least screentime/lines, that's fun for Trivial Pursuit.
And it doesn't have to be bad, Judi Dench won an Oscar for her role in Shakespeare in Love, with only 5:52 minutes of screentime and 4 scenes.
Actually, I'm going to win the prize for most useless dis post and say that it's a 51% chance to land on the side originally facing up, not necessarily tails. Also different flippers have different ratios. One of them had an over 60% ratio of same side landings. This is because the thumb flip produces a warble. Errr um.. I mean . I'm just totally guessing. I'd NEVER waste my time reading something like that.

One other thing; so many of the princess movies hinge on the very thing that the author is getting at; the challenge of a female lead making it in a world that is so male dominated. That very premise pretty much requires that most of the voices in the movie be male. Sorry to say, but that mimics real life which also adds to the appeal of the movie. Just how many women IRL do you see in leadership roles? Not saying that doesn't also need to change (because it does), but in this day-and-age, that's the story that needs to be told.

I think the question should be why are so many of the sidekicks male vs. female, regardless of whether the lead character they are with is male or female. Sidekicks are basically character actors, so they would not have to be “pretty” at all times and can be animated for comic relief. In The Little Mermaid, why couldn’t Flounder be a girl? That would have helped even out the fact that Ariel doesn’t speak for most of the film. Or why couldn’t Olaf be a girl? I liked that Asha’s friends in Wish were a mix of male and female, but could Valentino have been a girl, perhaps a girl with a low voice but still, a girl? So long as the sidekicks are primarily male then the dialog will be predominantly male also.

I am trying to think of a speaking sidekick that is female, without a deep dive into the internet, and the only ones that come to mind are Laverne in the Hunchback of Notre Dame, although she was one of three gargoyle sidekicks and the other two were male, and Terk in Tarzan. I am sure there have to be more, but they certainly aren’t easily coming to mind.

Fla4Fun, You are exactly right. Many of the sidekicks could be female. As you pointed out Flounder could be a girl or Olaf or Valentino. Mrs. Potts is female, but still she speaks less than Cogsworth or Lumiere. There are so many appropriate cases where female characters could have been added and as I wrote the genie and Mushu could have been female. In the case of Mushu that may be more appropriate with that character being the guardian of Mulan. But it is not limited to Disney or films in general, but to many areas of culture and society. It seems that males are the default sex for characters. I don’t believe that there aren’t girls or women who could be as good covering those characters as the men who did are.

Tom,

Have a look at how many writers, but also producers are male.
Then you have your answer how this happened.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest