• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Tolls, should we get a toll pass?

mickip

Earning My Ears
We will be traveling to the Fort in May from KY. We will come through ATL to the Fort. We're then heading south to Geiger Key Marina campground for a few days, back up to Fort De Soto Park around St. Pete. I know there will be some tolls along these routes. Are they all through the same company (sun pass?) and is it worth it to set up an account ahead of time or are we able to just get a bill via license plate.

Any other specific advice for our travels in these areas? Would there be a convenient Costco to stop in after leaving the Fort heading to the Keys?

For the tolls, they do have bill by plate but there are admin fees added on at each toll station, I would get a SunPass which will work on all FL toll roads as well as some toll roads in GA and other states.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

As for the Costco, there a couple in the area, it would probably be best to google the locations to determine which is best for you.

FWIW, we had been driving to Florida, well since I was a kid in the 60s for vacation and family visits. We bought our Sunpass transponder around 2014 while still living in MD. Made sense for us because we made yearly or more trips to Florida. It was just too easy. The Sunpass PRO works on most toll roads on the east coast now, so it's no longer just a Florida thing. We've been permanent Florida residents for over seven years now and obviously use Sunpass all the time. So I would say yes. Buy the Sunpass PRO for around $25. Set up your account and keep it loaded. We have ours on a credit card set for $25 and it just recharges as needed.
One other comment. I used to have an EZPASS MD also for use up north. Some don't have a maintenance charge. Ours did. Once the Sunpass PRO came out covering the same area I got rid of the EZpass.

For the places you noted, you may just be on the the Florida Turnpike from Wildwood to Homestead. I have done this a few times from St Louis. (Key West last year, Spring Training in Jupiter this year and many trips to Disney)
I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for a sticker/transponder. E-Pass (not E-Z Pass) worked everywhere on the Florida Turnpike and will mail you a free sticker. The E-Pass was very limited on where it worked until very recently. I rarely go anyplace else with a toll, so it wasn't a big deal.

This year, I'll be going to Michigan (through Chicago) and to Chicago for different trips. E-Pass doesn't work on the IL, IN or MI toll roads.

E-Z Pass does work in all those places and many more, but until very recently, you had to buy a transponder. Illinois (where I actually live) just joined the E-Z Pass system and I-Pass (the Illinois toll system) is offering a free transponder that works anywhere on the E-Z Pass system. This week, I scraped off the old E-Pass sticker and attached the new I-Pass transponder.

Both systems have an easy to use phone app where you can setup your account and have the account reload with $$ when it gets down to a preset amount. I also get emails with account balances and usage.

Here are all the systems the E-Z Pass works on. https://www.e-zpassiag.com/get-e-zpass

1714268572499.png

j

For the places you noted, you may just be on the the Florida Turnpike from Wildwood to Homestead. I have done this a few times from St Louis. (Key West last year, Spring Training in Jupiter this year and many trips to Disney)
I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for a sticker/transponder. E-Pass (not E-Z Pass) worked everywhere on the Florida Turnpike and will mail you a free sticker. The E-Pass was very limited on where it worked until very recently. I rarely go anyplace else with a toll, so it wasn't a big deal.

This year, I'll be going to Michigan (through Chicago) and to Chicago for different trips. E-Pass doesn't work on the IL, IN or MI toll roads.

E-Z Pass does work in all those places and many more, but until very recently, you had to buy a transponder. Illinois (where I actually live) just joined the E-Z Pass system and I-Pass (the Illinois toll system) is offering a free transponder that works anywhere on the E-Z Pass system. This week, I scraped off the old E-Pass sticker and attached the new I-Pass transponder.

Both systems have an easy to use phone app where you can setup your account and have the account reload with $$ when it gets down to a preset amount. I also get emails with account balances and usage.

Here are all the systems the E-Z Pass works on. https://www.e-zpassiag.com/get-e-zpass

View attachment 855324

j
Thanks we actually have the Riverlink one for Kentucky. I'll confirm if that will work

For the tolls, they do have bill by plate but there are admin fees added on at each toll station, I would get a SunPass which will work on all FL toll roads as well as some toll roads in GA and other states.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

As for the Costco, there a couple in the area, it would probably be best to google the locations to determine which is best for you.
How is the "bill by plate" supposed to work? I don't think I have ever received anything from our previous trips.

If you want to cover 18 states, and want the SunPass, then you need to get the SunPass Pro, not the regular SunPass. The regular one only covers NC, GA, and of course FL...

I live in NC and strictly use the SunPass Pro.... Which, by the way, you can purchase on Amazon if that's easier for you...

How is the "bill by plate" supposed to work? I don't think I have ever received anything from our previous trips.
So, I need to correct my previous comment, the admin fees are not added at each toll station, but they are handled as shown below.

Maybe you have a compatible transponder? or maybe you didn't use any toll roads?

1714778027695.png

We visited in January and flew in to MCO. At the airport I was able to reserve in advance a 'temporary' pass ( I do not recall the name). There is a tollway kiosk that had my pass waiting for me. I had already logged in and provided a credit card number and email address. I added to the app the license plate number of the rental card I picked up. I returned the temporary pass to the same kiosk when I returned to the airport.
When I returned from the trip, my credit card was billed for only the regular fees and no extras. The rental car company took no extra money from me as well. I will look up the name.

So, I need to correct my previous comment, the admin fees are not added at each toll station, but they are handled as shown below.

Maybe you have a compatible transponder? or maybe you didn't use any toll roads?

View attachment 856744
Thanks for the info but I do not have a transponder and we use the turnpike on every trip. I was thinking that maybe an invoice was not generated until a plate hits a certain dollar amount but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is really weird that I have never received anything. We will see what happens in September.

Not sure about Florida, but in Illinois with their toll by plate, you have to go to the web site and pay the invoice. If you don't, they will eventually bill you by mail, but it can be quite a while. It is also more expensive if thay mail it. That happened to me once and it was months before getting the mail. I almost threw it away.

j

Thanks for the info but I do not have a transponder and we use the turnpike on every trip. I was thinking that maybe an invoice was not generated until a plate hits a certain dollar amount but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is really weird that I have never received anything. We will see what happens in September.
Well, @tguz, looking at your trip listings in your signature, I assume the 2024 trip is the September trip you spoke of and the next most recent was 2021. I don't remember when the Turnpike started (nor finished) removing the toll booths and going transponder or pay-by-plate but it's only been in the last 2-3 years that the booths were in the process of being removed.

When the government (at any level) wants money, they will eventually find you and send you a bill.

Bama Ed

Well, @tguz, looking at your trip listings in your signature, I assume the 2024 trip is the September trip you spoke of and the next most recent was 2021. I don't remember when the Turnpike started (nor finished) removing the toll booths and going transponder or pay-by-plate but it's only been in the last 2-3 years that the booths were in the process of being removed.

When the government (at any level) wants money, they will eventually find you and send you a bill.

Bama Ed
Correct the 2024 is an upcoming trip. Maybe our Dec 2021 trip hit in a transition period between stopping to pay cash and the start of pay by plate. I just remember not stopping to pay toll. I guess I will see how long it takes to receive a bill for our Sept trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter