To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Fingers crossed that Hurricane MIlton and its aftereffects don't throw a wrench into your vacation plans. We all want to see those costumes in action! (and of course, want you to have a safe, enjoyable trip!)

We leave Tuesday 10/15, so Milton's landfall should be out of the picture at that point. But we're hoping everything is fine in the aftermath for sure.

Amphibia Costumes - Dress Rehearsal & Working on Poses - Part 1

With only about a week until we leave, we felt it necessary to do a dress rehearsal in our full costumes. Not only to make sure everything was working as desired, but in the event the costumes are lost/damaged in transport at least we got to wear them one time for enjoyment. We did learn some valuable lessons in the try-on stage. Certain pieces needed to be placed on our body before other pieces. And we learned that G grew again and just barely fits into the skirt which was previously a tight fit. Additionally the torso of her armor needed that extra velcro on the back because apparently the torso fit is wider as well. But everything fit nicely and there were a few needed tweaks that the costumes needed post dress rehearsal. In all it took about 45 min for both of us to get completely dressed. Probably will go a bit faster on day of as we apply the lessons we learned about order.

Here are some pictures while we were working on different poses. I printed off some look books for us of different common poses that Anne and Darcy do. Definitely didn't get as many single G pics in different poses, so we'll need to emphasize that in Disney.

thumbnail_IMG_8273.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8289.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8321.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8327.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8341.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8365.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8379.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8418.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8429.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8464.jpg

Next -

OMG!!! Those are fantastic! I'm super impressed with your costuming skills!

Thanks!

They look fantastic! Especially the ones at dusk.

Agreed, the darker ones definitely give off a good look.

That last pic is awesome.

Definitely. That's the quintessential Anne in Calamity with tennis racket pose.

AMAZINGGGGG!!!

Thanks!

That pic of you coming around the tree behind an unsuspecting G is particularly ominous

Agreed. It was originally a "do a senior photo next to a tree" pose. But then I hid behind G without her knowing I was in frame of the shot.

Amphibia Costumes - Dress Rehearsal & Working on Poses - Part 3

So we learned a few things in the process of the dress rehearsal.

1) I've got to wear black socks because there's a small gap in the backside of the armor.
2) G has to wear the yellow socks because the armor doesn't completely cover her feet/legs.
3) G should wear tights because the leaf at the top of the leg armor makes contact with her bare knee.
4) Anne's hand armor needs velcro on the back of the hand so that the glove attaches to the armor. Otherwise it slips around too much for G's liking.
5) There was concern about the tennis racket and G's ability to carry it for the entire party. They wanted to attach it to either her cape or at her waist. But I told them it wouldn't work so well given the weight of it. Since my MIL doesn't need/want a scooter this time around (hooray for not needing one!) then we won't have a mobile transport with us to take it if she tires of it. I told them if G gets tired of it, that I'll carry it.
6) The ribbon that holds the tennis racket closed is stretching. So while the snaps were in the right place at the time of making it, it's no longer tight enough. So Steph and I made a series of 3 elastic to solve this problem and potentially alleviate some concerns about #5. It'll hold the bottom and top of the ribbon in place, and then also has a strap that G can put her hand through to help make it easier to carry over long periods of time.
7) The rechargeable lithium batteries found in the dagger, racket, and Darcy eyes are taking about 45-60 min to recharge after turning them on for 60-90 min. The recharge is at a rate of 500mAh, and the battery holds 2200mAh. So we used about 500mAh in the 60-90 min we had each device on. Which means that the estimated time for complete use of the batteries is about 4.5-5 hrs. So if we turn on the devices around 6-7pm, they'll last until 10-11pm. So we'll definitely be pushing it for them to last the entire party. I've got to think though that the AA batteries used for the Anne hair and Anne armor will be fine. If not, we'll have additional AA batteries. So that's an easier fix mid-party.

That's all I can think of at the moment. All in all some minimal changes, and some things learned. It was good to do this rehearsal.

8 Weeks to go

That week where things felt like they clicked.

click.gif

9/30/24-10/6/24
Mon (9/30): OFF
Tues (10/1): 5 miles @ Easy (9:04 min/mile, 130 bpm)
Wed (10/2): 6 x 3 min @ Daniels I
Thurs (10/3): 5 miles @ Easy (9:08 min/mile, 132 bpm)
Fri (10/4): 9.7 miles @ Easy (9:07 min/mile, 131 bpm)
Sat (10/5): 5 miles @ Easy (8:55 min/mile, 133 bpm)
Sun (10/6): (4x30s + 6x90s) (AP- 5:48)

Total Run Miles - 36.7 miles
Total Run Time - 5:34 hours
Total Strength Time - 0:00 hours
Total Training Time - 5:34 hours

Monday

Memory is telling me that something was sore and I was glad I wasn't running. I can't put my finger on what it was though at the moment. I think it was my left glute/hip, but I'm not entirely positive. But given that it's not happening today, and didn't impact my Wednesday run, it didn't end up being a big issue. Ahh, that's right, I pulled my glute/hip when I was at work and made a quick turn for some reason. It wasn't even work related. Just a normal movement, normal people make, and my body was like "ahh I'm dying." Thankfully, it wasn't a thing. Take that stupid brain.

Tuesday

Conditions - ⛅ Broken clouds, Wind 9mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 61°F + 39°F; FL - 58°F
End: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 38°F; FL - 58°F

Alert, alert, we have WI Fall approaching! A T+D of 100 is here! Woot woot! The run felt alright, and it was nice to run in some cool weather. I might have even worn some gloves to keep my hands warm.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear sky, Wind 14mph to 18mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 38°F; FL - 64°F
End: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 39°F; FL - 64°F

First Daniels I paced run of the season. "Arguably the hardest endurance pace in the spectrum." Not a direct Daniels quote, but he does make it pretty clear that Daniels I pace (around 3km pace) is a pretty big challenge. It's one that becomes exponentially more difficult as the interval increases beyond 2 min. So I opened up this workout at 3 min. Kind of mid-level compared to the maximum of 5 min. And if the pace is done right, then everything over 2 min is where the workout really happens. So at 3 min reps, I'm getting 1 min of work per rep. Goal pace was roughly 6:10 and no pace adjustment needed!

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 2.27.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 2.27.42 PM.png

WU was nothing of note. The first rep was too slow, but I was just trying to feel everything out. But it came in at 6:33. The second rep felt more on target. And honesty it felt really good. It wasn't a full out effort like R pace has been, but it definitely wasn't comfortable either. But my body really tolerated running at this pace. Second rep came in at 6:07. The workout continued throughout all 6 reps. I never felt overly challenged, and felt in control. Lost the pace a little on the last one, but that wasn't fatigue and just a matter of not paying enough attention to the pace I was doing. On most of the reps, I found a good pace to hold low 6s, and then did a kick finish (sub-6 on several kicks). I like seeing that, and am hoping that a "maintain and kick" is something I can use in an upcoming mile race attempt. Overall the average was 6:16. So given the 6:10 target, I'm pleased with the effort. The workout just felt right and everything seemed to click. Makes it nice to have such a great evening for it too.

Thursday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear sky, Wind 10mph to ?
Start: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 38°F; FL - 68°F
End: Temp+Dew = 67°F + 44°F; FL - 68°F

Just an easy run. Nothing of note to remember.

Friday

Conditions - ⛅ Few clouds, Wind 8mph to ?
Start: Temp+Dew = 65°F + 41°F; FL - 63°F
End: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 42°F; FL - 63°F

Bumped up the Friday run from 8 miles to 10 miles. Once I start to hit >90 min runs is typically when I start to sense changes in my body. I wasn't ready to attack the pace on this one, so I just made it an easy 90 min run instead of long run effort. Didn't even wear my nice shoes and instead just the regular trainers. Did develop a bit of a hot spot blister on my big toe, but it went away quick. Overall the run itself was easy.

Saturday

Conditions - ⛅ Few clouds, Wind 18mph to 30mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 60°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 60°F; FL - 79°F

Temps kicked back up and I did this one after the Badger football game (mid-day). Despite the temps and the recent 10 miler, body felt fine. I wore a new pair of Ride trainers and got a hot spot on my right heel. Nothing too bad though.

Sunday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear sky, Wind 15mph to 23mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 60°F + 40°F; FL - 58°F
End: Temp+Dew = 60°F + 41°F; FL - 58°F

Temps dropped back down, but it was super windy for this one. Had this one originally scheduled for less reps, but decided to add on a 6th one because I felt like I might be able to handle it. Did change it to have the 30s reps first though since that seems to be a needed fix on recent workouts. Goal was R pace at 4x30s + 6x90s.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 2.37.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 2.37.27 PM.png

Those 30s reps were needed. I started at 6:40, then 5:52, the 5:10, then 4:42. So I was definitely working myself into the workout. By the time the 90s reps started, I felt appropriately warmed up and ready to go. The goal was to ease into the reps, and then attack the latter half. Although the wind definitely made it more of a challenge. So I won't read too much into the split differentials as I was dealing with a variety of wind over the course of each rep. Hit the reps in 5:55, 5:46, 5:42, and then 5:55. Saw the 5:55 and wondered if I had another one (or two) in me. So I told myself to give a hard effort on this 5th rep, and then if it's done, it's done. So I pushed good and hard and nailed the 5th rep at 5:41 pace. So once I managed that, then I convinced myself I could do the 6th rep as well. I was near tapped out after the 6th one, but managed the 5:50 pace. Sure does make it hard running in >30 mph gusts. The houses did help break things up though. So it wasn't always bad. In all, it was 5:48 average pace. All things considered, I'll take it.

So it was a good week. Hit a 90 min run. Had two strong workouts. Putting together another good series of workouts heading into a possible mile race on Saturday and then trip to Disney. So this week the training is a bit lighter. Only 5 mile runs, a simple 8x60s workout on Wednesday, and then a possible mile race on Saturday. I believe the race is at 10am. The website is light on details. But the T+D looks to be about 100, the wind doesn't look too bad, and it's cloudy. So as long as Wednesday goes well, then I'll do a late signup on the race. Depending on the other runners, then I may race the 1st mile or the last mile for the sub-6 attempt. It'll depend on the other races and their planned paces. It'd be nice to have other people to run with, and some years there are barely any sub-6 5k runners, and in other years we've had some sub-5 runners. So hard to say in advance.

Congratulations on amazing costumes and the fun hardworking journey you took together to make them!

My favourites: 8289, 8321 and 8745

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest