To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Yay for a new plan! I hope you can get back to running as planned. It took about 6 weeks for me to fully adjust to waking up at 4:30am to run and now I seem to wake up naturally at that time, which is so annoying on the days when I don't need to get up that early.

Thanks! Oh, I'm right there with you. I seem to wake up at 3:30am and every 15 min after on those weekdays. Can't seem to convince my brain that the alarm is set. Still in that adjusting period.

Sorry now I feel silly asking you about running when you've been posting your killer bike workouts! I haven't been getting on DisBoards at all and it looks like I've been missing some interesting events. Like your new house! It looks so nice and your basement space is to amazing! I'm jealous!
So happy for you and your family!

Honestly, don't even worry about it for a second. Running is my passion. While I may not be able to run myself at the moment doesn't mean continuing to help others with their running journey doesn't continue to bring me great joy. It's such a pleasure to help. So please, don't feel silly. Excited to see what happens for you down in Disney.

The house has been such a great space for us! Thanks!

Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume Phase 1 - Week 6 (Recovery Week) + 80 Day Obsession Week 3

12/17/18 - M - OFF
12/18/18 - T - 80DO-D15-Total Body Core + Pettit (60 min; 40 TSS)
12/19/18 - W - 80DO-D16-Booty + Taku (30 min; 19 TSS)
12/20/18 - R - 80DO-D17-Cardio Core + Bald Knob (60 min; 44 TSS)
12/21/18 - F - 80DO-D18-AAA
12/22/18 - Sa - Andrews (90 min; 73 TSS) + 80DO-D19-Legs
12/23/18 - Su - Fletcher (90 min; 66 TSS) + 80DO-D20-Cardio Flow

Total Biking Time - 5:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 240 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 4:53 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 76 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:23 hours
Total TSS - 316 TSS

Monday - OFF

Tuesday - Week 3 of 80DO begins. In Phase 1 of 80DO (Weeks 1-4), the sequence of moves is generally 2x15 all moves, then 3x10 all moves, then 3x10 grouped moves, and 2x15 grouped moves. Which means all 4 weeks have all the same moves. In Week 1 and 2 the focus was moving through all the moves in order, and then restarting a doing it another time. Whereas in Weeks 3 and 4, the different moves are grouped based on what muscle group is the focus (like biceps or quads). Then you move through just the grouped moves and do them in a much shorter sequence. Which means in Weeks 1 and 2, it takes a lot longer until you're back to a bicep move. But in Weeks 3 and 4, those bicep moves are all grouped right on top of each other.

Finally found the worksheets (admittedly wasn't looking hard) so know I actually know what we did during the workout:

So 3 x 10 of the following series:
Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Back: Bent over Row, One Hand Renegade Row with RL, Boat Pose Lat Pull with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL
Triceps: Tricep Kickbacks, Single-Arm Extension Loop, Tricep push up

I'm mostly using 12 or 15 pound weights on all moves now (mostly the 15s). Soon it'll be time to get some new weights as some of the moves are too easy now with 15s. Great progress in three short weeks since most all moves were with 8s and rarely 10s at the start.

Bike workout was nice and easy.

Wednesday - Booty day.

3x10 within a series again
Glute Bridge: Glute Bridge, Bridge to Clam, 1st position Bridge
Quad Ped: Straight Leg Lift, Toe Tap across and side, Circles
Side Lying: Toe Tap, Clams, Press Backs
Standing: Standing Hinge, Leg Press Side, Bend Over Press Back
Moving: Squat Side to Side, Duck Walk, Side Lunges

Most all done with the heaviest resistance loop or the heaviest+2nd heaviest.

Another super easy bike day.

Thursday - Cardio Core!

Lots of different moves intermixed. They're in sets of 2. Usually a variant of jump rope jumping, and then something a bit more complicated.

Another easy bike day.

Friday - AAA (arms, abs, and booty)

3x10 within a series again
1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/Loop
2 - Push-up, Skull Crusher, Weighted ab sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tuck, Fire Hydrant

Was mostly on the 15s. Super happy to hit 15s on Skull Crushers and Hammer Curls. Both pushed me right up to the limit. Fire Hydrants are still tough on can only go 2nd highest RL on those.

Saturday - Another easy bike workout first. The duration of 90 min is still there, but the intensity has been dropped.

Then Leg day right after the bike workout ended!

3x10 within series
1 - Reverse Lunge, Squats, Curtsy Lunge
2 - Sumo Squat, Front Diagonal Lunge, Twisted Bank Angle Lunge
3 - Single-Leg Good Morning, Hip Hinge, Buddha Squats

Mostly 12s and 15s. After Week 1, I haven't attempted Curtsy Lunges because those seem to bother my ankle. Otherwise, still making great progress on all the moves.

Sunday - Another easy bike workout with a static duration of 90 min.

Then Cardio Flow. My goal on this go around on the progressional workout was to hit the marks and keep the pace up. So I was going faster than the video. Autumn did make mention in this video that you should be seeing how many total reps you can do in the same timeframe. So with an easier bike workout, I felt fresher and really attacked this one at closer to 100% effort. When it came to the end, I really went for it to see how many series of reps I could do in the same timeframe it took the video to do two whole run throughs. I made it to 2.5 and look to improve upon that on the next week.

Overall, this was a pretty low key week. The duration were similar for biking, but the intensity was way down to aid in recovery. Now starts Phase 2 of the base building cycling with another FTP test on Tuesday night. It's been 6 weeks since the last one, so now it's time to measure improvement. I'm interested to see what happens in this next test to exhaustion because some of these workouts have taught me there truly is more to give.

The cycling by trainer road seems well developed based on training load and TSS. Here was the "Elevate" training load graph for the last 6 months:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 11.22.34 AM.png

You can see where the Trainer Road cycling begins as the "Fitness" curve starts on the uptick. Admittedly some of the last non-Kickr bike workouts were without my HR monitor since it was acting finicky. So the data was a bit skewed to start. But it's easy to see that much of the time spent training was well balanced in the "optimal" zone. This last week was perfectly balanced to hit just outside of optimal to allow just a touch of recovery and adaptation. "Fitness" was 49.6 entering the week, and a week of recovery has left me at 49.0. Now the base will continue to build again and get me back into the optimal training load zone again.

The holiday season though (and the lack of running) has been unkind on the scale. I weighed in at 180 pounds on Saturday morning. About 23 pounds heavier than Dopey last year. Although my wife would argue, with good reason, that I was too light last year entering Dopey (could have been a contributing factor to my injury). So I'm aiming to lose weight again and hopefully end up around 170 or so, but maybe with a bit more muscle now. I'm cutting my eggs down from 4 to 3, my oatmeal most mornings from cup to 1/2 cup, guac is out, clementine at lunch is out and replaced with carrots, and really trying to limit the sweets again to just a single mini-dove bar. Hoping this will help move the needle back in the right direction. Steph started the 80DO diet with color coded Tupperware and has done well thus far. She dropped 4 pounds last week.

Excited to see how marathon weekend plays out for everyone! I'll be cheering you on this week!

Thanks for sharing that Fitness Trend graph. Your numbers are all way higher than mine, but the trends are similar with a dip in the fitness and fatigue in November. Can you remind me what those numbers even mean? I understand that higher means more but what's the difference in my fitness of 26.8 and yours of 49? Does that relate to race times at all?

Follow up question, a lot of my workouts don't make it to Strava because FitBit doesn't sync any of the indoor track or treadmill workouts. Do you think this is a big deal? Is there a way for me to load it some other way?

Finally, great job! I'm not sure I could stick with other cardio workouts the way you have. I can't wait to see what happens for you on the other side.

Thanks for sharing that Fitness Trend graph. Your numbers are all way higher than mine, but the trends are similar with a dip in the fitness and fatigue in November. Can you remind me what those numbers even mean? I understand that higher means more but what's the difference in my fitness of 26.8 and yours of 49? Does that relate to race times at all?

Fitness = Training Load over the last 42 days
Fatigue = Training Load over the last 7 days

Simply put, you gain actual fitness over the long term. The fatigue from any one training run dissipates quickly over the short term. Thus, your ability to handle higher and higher training loads is dependent on a consistent effort over a long period of the calendar. My preference would be "Long Term Training Load" and "Short Term Training Load" rather than Fitness and Fatigue.

So the difference between my 49 and your 26.8 is simply the amount of training load we have been doing the last 6 weeks. Whether that's through HR data, running power data, or cycling power data. But my 49 and your 26.8 has some to do with performance but not as much as you'd think. Again, all it means is how much of a training load you have. But if two people train for 8 hours per week at 80% HRR and the rest of their training duration and %HRR was similar, then they'd have the same "Fitness" and "Fatigue". But one person could be doing 100 miles per month and the other 300 miles per month. One person a 5 hour marathon runner and the other a 3 hour marathon runner. One person at 11:00 min/miles and the other at 7:00 min/miles. But in some cases doing more of a training load will make you a better runner, and better runners tend to be able to tolerate a higher training load (not always in either of these cases). Lastly, training load is really blind to the specifics of actual training. So you could manipulate the Elevate Training Load calculations by doing a really systematic workout at the same pace and same duration all the time (increasing and decreasing to make it go up and down). But that may not actually make you a runner as could as you could be if you don't diversify the pace tree and then specify closer to race day.

Be wary as these stress graphs also don't account for the need for bone recovery in running as much as we'd like to see because in theory we should stay in optimum to continuously improve fitness, but there are justifiable reasons why dropping out of "optimal" is good for the body to aid in adapting to the stimulus.

BUT, as you point out in question 2 - when data is missing it makes a huge difference. Because without your indoor track or treadmill workouts, then you lose that data for the purpose of Elevate. It means that you receive a "0" for the day as if you never worked out. This would mean this graph isn't all that useful for you if you've got missing data because it doesn't know how to account for it. In looking online, I found a thread regarding Fitbit and non-GPS runs. It appears they do not sync either automatically or manually unfortunately. That's a huge bummer. You could use a phone based app or something for those instead, but that seems like a less than ideal workaround.

Here's the long version from the Elevate plug-in:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 2.54.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 2.54.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 2.54.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 2.54.51 PM.png

Finally, great job! I'm not sure I could stick with other cardio workouts the way you have. I can't wait to see what happens for you on the other side.

Thanks! I've certainly got my hopes up for big things!

Last edited:

But in some cases doing more of a training load will make you a better runner, and better runners tend to be able to tolerate a higher training load (not always in either of these cases).

I'll add that this is exactly what I'm trying to get at with the 2019 season. I've found that in all likelihood I've met my match in terms of running training load. I've been up there a few times and have come crumbling down. The real kicker is that my peak fitness is coming when I'm in a neutral training zone. Which suggests that I was grinding myself into the ground with a static training load by the time I reached the peak of training.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.45.18 PM.png

The highest "Fitness" training load I have achieved through running was a 69.4 leading into Dopey 2018. Things went very well leading into that race and the race itself. I'd venture to guess Lakefront 2016 was far far higher (I'd take a blind guess and say something closer to 80), but I didn't have HR data back then so it's just a guess based on the training I was putting in. In both Dopey 2018 and Lakefront 2016 I came out with stress fractures. Lakefront 2017 was up at 68.6 and came out healthy but with a disappoint for me result. Leading me to believe I flew too close to the sun (injury or possible overtraining or who knows?). So the goal with this bike+run+strength is to see if I can get the training load up towards 70 or possibly higher and yet not get injured and still reach for new PRs. If my numbers are correct, then I should see my "Fitness" around 70 by mid-March. Ideally, to maintain inside the +30 Form "optimal" zone you'd see fitness increase by no more than 3-4 points per week. Then possibly as high as 85-100 in late December. But will that translate into better run times than 69.4 yielded? Or will it translate into similar run times, but without being injured? That remains to be seen as the specificity of run training will be lost with the diversification of the total training being done.

Thanks for the explanation! I had read the resources online but it's always helps to have someone put it in their own words. Your comment about training load is very interesting and I think you are learning a very important lesson: more is better until it isn't. Crossing my fingers you'll find the right balance

Thanks for the explanation! I had read the resources online but it's always helps to have someone put it in their own words. Your comment about training load is very interesting and I think you are learning a very important lesson: more is better until it isn't. Crossing my fingers you'll find the right balance

Thanks! Completely agree. We've all got our max. Once you find it, it's time to adapt and attack in a new way.

Not sure if you’ve read anything from Tinman elite before, but he emphasizes CV pace(something you prescribe) and it seems to be a similar pace to I pace. Basically his philosophy is to convert/train your type 2a into endurance machines! Good read, love to hear your thoughts :-)

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/02...ins-critical-velocity-type-iia-muscle-fibers/

Definitely have read quite a bit of Tinman. You can find several of his threads from back in the day when he was a regular poster on LetsRun. Enjoy: LINK

Also, attached is one of my favorite CV summary documents I could find awhile back.

As for in practice, I didn't find that most of my runners reacted to the training as hoped. The goal was to work VO2max and LT simultaneously by splitting the difference. It's entirely possible it was working under the surface, but the runners I was training weren't seeing the gains I was hoping for. I've changed many runners for the speed section of their training to a Daniels style pacing regimen and have found many more runners have been responding to it to a greater degree. But it's another trick in my bag of tools to help others for sure.

Attachments

• Stiles-Critical-Velocity-Article.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 3
Definitely have read quite a bit of Tinman. You can find several of his threads from back in the day when he was a regular poster on LetsRun. Enjoy: LINK

Also, attached is one of my favorite CV summary documents I could find awhile back.

As for in practice, I didn't find that most of my runners reacted to the training as hoped. The goal was to work VO2max and LT simultaneously by splitting the difference. It's entirely possible it was working under the surface, but the runners I was training weren't seeing the gains I was hoping for. I've changed many runners for the speed section of their training to a Daniels style pacing regimen and have found many more runners have been responding to it to a greater degree. But it's another trick in my bag of tools to help others for sure.

What a treasure trove of great articles! Thanks Billy :-)

Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume Phase 2 - Week 1 + 80 Day Obsession Week 4 (End of Phase 1)

1/7/19 - M - OFF
1/8/19 - T - 80DO-D21-Total Body Core + Ramp Test (31 min; 39 TSS)
1/9/19 - W - 80DO-D22-Booty + Pettit (60 min; 40 TSS)
1/10/19 - R - 80DO-D23-Cardio Core + Ebbetts (60 min; 68 TSS)
1/11/19 - F - 80DO-D24-AAA
1/12/19 - Sa - Kaweah (90 min; 97 TSS) + 80DO-D25-Legs
1/13/19 - Su - Geiger+2 (90 min; 103 TSS) + 80DO-D26-Cardio Flow

Total Biking Time - 5:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 347 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 4:26 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 82 TSS

Total Training Time - 9:57 hours
Total TSS - 429 TSS

Monday - OFF

Tuesday - Last week of Phase 1 80DO begins!

2 x 15 of the following series:
Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Back: Bent over Row, One Hand Renegade Row with RL, Boat Pose Lat Pull with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL
Triceps: Tricep Kickbacks, Single-Arm Extension Loop, Tricep push up

That evening was the Ramp Test from TrainerRoad. This was the next assessment of gains made in training though the first 6 weeks of structured bike training. I tried to prepare myself as best as possible (wore shorts (still don't have bike ones yet) and drank Maurten 320 during the test), but I thought it was important to continue the 80DO in the morning because even through training I'll have that in my life as well. I did well. The first time 6 weeks ago was a FTP estimate of 213. This time it was 220. So a 3.3% gain in performance in 6 weeks of base training. That's like dropping my LT running pace from 6:20 to 6:08 min/mile in 3 weeks. I was hoping for more initially, but when I put it in perspective to myself I was pretty happy with it. But with a better FTP comes higher %FTP workouts. So yea, not sure I was looking for that extra push though.... I'll take it though. Challenge accepted.

Wednesday - Booty day.

2 x 15 within a series again
Glute Bridge: Glute Bridge, Bridge to Clam, 1st position Bridge
Quad Ped: Straight Leg Lift, Toe Tap across and side, Circles
Side Lying: Toe Tap, Clams, Press Backs
Standing: Standing Hinge, Leg Press Side, Bend Over Press Back
Moving: Squat Side to Side, Duck Walk, Side Lunges

An easy day to recover from the Ramp Test the day prior. The new easy pace was tolerable.

Thursday - Cardio Core!

Lots of different moves intermixed. They're in sets of 2. Usually a variant of jump rope jumping, and then something a bit more complicated.

My first real test with new paces. I was also excited about this workout because it was my first short bursts of really high %FTP work (in this case 160%) for 5 seconds. The highest I had done in a training session thus far was 105% FTP. It was an achievable workout and I enjoyed having those short sprints. Maybe didn't enjoy them in the moment, but I was happy once the workout was over. I was able to get the cadence mostly to goal (+110) and was way over on the FTP goal (although that was really hard to hone in on such a short period of time). First workout with new pace scheme done!

Friday - AAA (arms, abs, and booty)

2x15 within a series again
1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/Loop
2 - Push-up, Skull Crusher, Weighted ab sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tuck, Fire Hydrant

Saturday - First weekend warrior workout with the new pacing scheme. This workout absolutely crushed me! It was a 5 x 10 min at 96% FTP. I haven't sustained 96% FTP for that long before (from memory). So having an extended goal of holding pace and a new harder pace scheme was crushing. I completed the first one and was almost completely exhausted. So I was unsure whether I'd make it though another 4 intervals. I think the change in diet to less calories was showing itself in this workout because trying to lose weight simultaneously with training hard is hard. So 1/2 way through the second interval I decided to pull back the intensity and change the workout to slightly easier (something more in line with old pacing). It was still very tough, but was accomplishable.

Then Leg day right after the bike workout ended!

2x15 within series
1 - Reverse Lunge, Squats, Curtsy Lunge
2 - Sumo Squat, Front Diagonal Lunge, Twisted Bank Angle Lunge
3 - Single-Leg Good Morning, Hip Hinge, Buddha Squats

Sunday - After having to pull back on Saturday's workout, I wasn't sure whether Sunday would be achievable. But before we got there, it was time for weigh-in and body measurements. I'd taken measurements at the beginning of 21 Day Fix and of 80DO. So it was time for another check-in.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 5.39.48 PM.png

So since 21DF started, I'm up 7.6 pounds (back to 12/17/18 weight though). My chest has increased by an inch. My arms have both increased by 0.75 inches. My waist is down 0.5 inch, hips are the same, and legs have fluctuated. Happy to have lost 3.5 pounds in the last week, but that was probably too quick to lose. So I'll need to adjust a touch on the diet again.

The bike workout was 5 x 12 min at a 89-94% fluctuating FTP. Didn't have to drop this workout down and was able to complete it as written without any breaks. There were absolute puddles of sweat on the ground was the workout was finished. I had to get towels to sop up everything down there.

Then as soon as the bike workout was finished it wasCardio Flow. My goal on this go around on the progressional workout was to hit the marks and keep the pace up. So I was going faster than the video like I did last week. The big difference was last week the bike workout was relatively easy. Not the case with this week. So I was eager to see if I could make it through 2.5 rounds like last week with a harder bike. I made it to 2.5. I was really happy with that.

It was an emotional day. I wasn't at Marathon Weekend for the first time in 5 years. I had 23 runners at the weekend accepting all sorts of challenges with all sorts of goals. Each and every one of them made me truly proud (in addition to all of the runners who weren't being helped by me). Super proud of all the first timers and to those who succeeded despite the weather making the marathon a much harder event. This weekend brought one of my proudest moments yet as a coach. Not long after the 2018 marathon weekend ended, I made a promise to a certain runner who was swept last year when following a different training plan. I promised I'd do what I could to put that person in the position to succeed and finish the marathon like they dreamed of. And they did it! They worked super hard all Fall/Winter and put themselves in a position to succeed. When I saw the results this morning, it brought a smile and tear to my face. On a hotter day and worse environment than 2018, this runner can now proudly call themselves a marathoner. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy and proud of everyone. But that result holds a special place in my heart. Congrats!

Not long after the 2018 marathon weekend ended, I made a promise to a certain runner who was swept last year when following a different training plan. I promised I'd do what I could to put that person in the position to succeed and finish the marathon like they dreamed of. And they did it! They worked super hard all Fall/Winter and put themselves in a position to succeed. When I saw the results this morning, it brought a smile and tear to my face. On a hotter day and worse environment than 2018, this runner can now proudly call themselves a marathoner. Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy and proud of everyone. But that result holds a special place in my heart. Congrats!
I think I know who you mean, and I’ve thought about her occasionally allyear and was so happy to see she finished today! It’s wonderful. Nice going to both of you.

For any Stravistix/Elevate users, I finally figured out how to apply the mathematical formulas for Fitness and Fatigue:

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.23.04 PM.png

Today's Fitness = Yesterday's Fitness + (Today's Stress Score - Yesterday's Fitness) X (0.0238)

Today's Fatigue = Yesterday's Fatigue + (Today's Stress Score - Yesterday's Fitness) X (0.1331)

These now match up exactly with the numerical values outputted by Stravistix/Elevate. The 1/42 values makes sense (0.0238) because the Fitness is a 6 week rolling number thus everyday is worth 1/42nd of the total Fitness value (but not quite a rolling average like I had once thought). But the 0.1331 value doesn't make sense since according to the formula it is 1/7 (0.1428), but in practice it appears to be 0.1331. That comes out to roughly 7.51 days instead. Don't know if this is an error in Elevate, or whether this was intentional. Regardless, that's how it's currently being calculated.

Why is this important? Well I'm trying to include a rough Training Load calculation in my new training plans as an extra measure to help me write them. Since working with TrainerRoad, it's become apparent that if a single workout based on a set %FTP and set duration comes out to a set Stress Score, then that may also be applicable to running as well. Now of course, I'm still cognizant that personally I think training load calculations may not be appropriately handling the need for bone/muscular recovery necessary for running but less necessary for cycling. But with the being said, I'd say it still has a role in training plan development. The TrainerRoad training plans are beautifully written from a training load standpoint. Increasing in a very rhythmic pattern that makes their results predictable thus far. I want to see if I too can accomplish this sort of predictable rhythm in my writing.

So then it was a matter of seeing if I could figure out the relationship between HR and Stress score calculations for individual runs. Primarily, I wanted to see if average HR of a run (regardless of how it occurred) was roughly enough to come up with a relationship. Did it matter if it was a WU+M Tempo+CD with an average HR of 142 vs a sustained LR with an average of 142? This is a chart comparing all runs as a pool.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.36.08 PM.png

It matters some with a tiny bit of run to run variation, but it's pretty small in the grand scheme (nice R^2 of 0.9889). The average HR seemed like "enough" to generally predict what a run's Stress Score per hour average would be. So this formula would seem close:

Stress Score per Hour = 0.0176x^2 - 3.2434x + 175.11

Here are the individual runs:

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.36.41 PM.png

And here is the data set with easy and races removed (thus the "hard" days):

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.37.30 PM.png

What I find interesting is that in a much smaller view you do see a little bit of a hierarchy to the "types" of runs. If two runs have the same HR, there is a small trend in the following manner from low to high:

Long Run, M Tempo, R Pace, I Pace, and LT.

In the 8 sets of HRs that have more than one type of run in them, only once does it violate this hierarchy. This would lead me to believe that a sustained Long Run at HR of 140 is considered less stressful than an appropriately designed LT workout that has the same average HR at the end (makes sense too). Stress score per hour of 64 vs 69. In the grand scheme of a weekly training load though, that's probably going to be a fairly small difference. A possible key difference is the ability to hold a long run for a longer duration than a LT workout, thus per hour might be higher for LT but total is higher for most actual long long runs.

Unfortunately though, I'm not sure I can reliably predict a "type" of run's stress score per hour value consistently. Long run could be 58 per hour or could be 77 based on this very small data set. That's a pretty big range. And I'm not really seeing anything in those individual runs that really sets them apart from each other. I could get a really general picture, but it would miss out on the important finer details. So via HR yes, but not quite by type of run. So I think at this point in time, it's not something I can actually incorporate quite yet. But won't stop me from continuing to tinker with the data set to see if I can refine it.

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles

So yesterday, I took some time to sit down and review the calculations for training load from Stravistix/Elevate. I was finally able to figure out how to apply the "Fitness" and "Fatigue" calculations based on the 42 day time period and 7 day time period. I then attempted to use my own data set to see if I could determine the stress score for different types of runs on a per hour basis. While I can get a general range, it's not specific enough for me to be super accurate with it. But I decided to use those general ranges to evaluate some training plans for different fitness profiles to see how everything would shake out. Keep in mind, training load is another tool in the tool box. It is not the sole determinant of how fast someone is. The word "Fitness" in this does not mean one person is more fit than the other. Rather it means, one person has a higher/lower training load. There is a relationship between how much training load you have and how fast you are, but it is not the only reason, nor is it a sole determinant. Additionally, more so than cycling, I think periodization for skeletal/muscular recovery is important in running. Training load calculations don't completely capture the need for a drop down in training. With that being said, let's take a look.

So the methodology was simple.

-Choose a fitness profile (i.e. a 4 hour marathon runner, 5 hour marathon runner, or 6 hour marathon runner). This would be like it someone came to me with a 2:24 HM recent PR and I evaluated them and said let's train you for a 5 hour marathon based on the race equivalency calculation.
-Choose a training plan. For these examples, I used three different training plans.

A) runDisney Galloway Marathon Advanced
B) Hybrid Galloway Marathon Advanced, but make it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and limited to 30 min weekdays.
C) Hansons Advanced

Then I inputted the fitness paces and the mileage prescribed by the different training plans to determine the stress score, fitness, and fatigue of a person running through the training plan. So in the screenshot below, you can see the days of the week, type of run, duration scheduled, pace, mileage, type score (which I determined as an average from my historical data), stress score, fitness, fatigue, and form (the difference between fitness and fatigue aiding in determining if a training load is "optimal"). Optimal training is defined by Stravistix/Elevate as a Form of -10 to -30. Fresh (race ready) is +5 to +25.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.32.17 AM.png

So, let's see what we get!

A 4 hour and a 6 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Galloway Marathon Advanced

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 6 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Galloway Marathon Advanced). Since the weekdays are scheduled as 30min, then someone who is faster (4 hour marathon runner) will cover more miles than a slower fitness runner. But, since the weekend is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. I started both of these runners off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.36.07 AM.png

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 380 miles in 70:38 hours. Whereas, the 6 hour runner will cover 336 miles (less mileage) in 88:10 hours (more duration). Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 16 days (8%) in the optimal zone. The 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%). Only once does either runner venture into the overload/overtraining zone (6 hour runner after their 26 mile training run). At the end of the training, the 6 hour runner has a 27% increase in training load over the 4 hour runner. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Galloway Advanced Marathon plan is better for the 6 hour marathon runner than it is for the 4 hour marathon runner. They spend more time in optimal and yield a higher training load with barely overtraining.

A 4 hour marathon runner who chooses to use either the Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid version with 4 days per week and back/backs

In this example, there is only one runner. This runner has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner. This runner would choose to do either the standard Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid plan. The hybrid plan adjusts the Galloway Marathon Advanced plan by making it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and still limits to 30 min weekdays. I followed a training plan design I like to follow which is a (low, high, medium, high, repeat) for weekends. The Saturday never exceeds 90 min (8 miles) and the Sunday never exceeds 150 min (15 miles). I started this runner off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.54.23 AM.png

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 380 miles in 70:38 hours for the standard plan. Whereas, the 4 hour runner will cover 529 miles (more mileage) in 90:49 hours (more duration) in the hybrid plan. Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 16 days (8%) in the optimal zone in the standard plan. The 4 hour runner will spend 31 days (16%) in the hybrid plan. Neither training plan has the runner venture into the overload/overtraining zone. At the end of the training, the hybrid training plan has a 37% increase in training load over the standard plan. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the hybrid plan allows the 4 hour marathon runner to never have to exceed 150 min LR and still have a 37% increase in training load without ever going into overload. The hybrid plan while lesser of a long run max, seems to allow the runner to be in "optimal training" more often with a higher training load at the end.

A 6 hour marathon runner who chooses to use either the Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid version with 4 days per week and back/backs

In this example, there is only one runner. This runner has a fitness assessment of a 6 hour marathon runner. This runner would choose to do either the standard Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid plan. The hybrid plan adjusts the Galloway Marathon Advanced plan by making it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and still limits to 30 min weekdays. I followed a training plan design I like to follow which is a (low, high, medium, high, repeat) for weekends. The Saturday never exceeds 90 min (6 miles) and the Sunday never exceeds 150 min (10 miles). I started this runner off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.59.16 AM.png

So in a comparison, the 6 hour runner will run 336 miles in 88:10 hours for the standard plan. Whereas, the 6 hour runner will cover 365 miles (more mileage) in 93:47 hours (more duration) in the hybrid plan. Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%) in the optimal zone in the standard plan. The 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%) in the optimal zone in the hybrid plan. Only once does the runner venture into overtraining on either plan (standard plan after 26 miles). At the end of the training, the hybrid training plan has an 11% increase in training load over the standard plan. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the hybrid plan allows the 6 hour marathon runner to never have to exceed 150 min LR and still have an 11% increase in training load without ever going into overload. The hybrid plan while lesser of a long run max (10 miles vs 26 miles), seems to allow the runner to be in "optimal training" as often with a higher training load at the end than the standard plan. But the difference is pretty close between these two plans. So for a 6 hour marathon runner, these two options would appear to be pretty close. The decision would be, do I want to do a maximal 6:50 hour training run, or a 1.5+2.5 hour training run 3 weeks prior (and before obviously too)?

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). Since the plan is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. I started both of these runners off as having a small running base prior to starting of 20 points each (we'll get to this in the next example). @mankle30 should review the next few examples.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.10.05 PM.png

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 898 miles in 155:47 hours in Hansons Advanced. Whereas, the 5 hour runner will cover 898 miles (same mileage) in 194:44 hours (more duration) in the same plan. Over the entire 18 (shorter plan than Galloway) week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 100 days (79%) in the optimal zone. Whereas, the 5 hour runner will spend 87 days (69%) in the optimal zone. The 4 hour runner never goes into overload, but the 5 hour runner spends 24 days in overload (in the first 6 weeks the runner is almost exclusively in overload). At the end of the training, the 5 hour marathon runner has a 25% increase in training load over the 4 hour runner. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan is more balanced for a 4 hour runner than a 5 hour runner when both come in with an equal training load prior. The 5 hour marathon runner when following the Hansons Advanced plan almost immediately goes into overload training and maintains that state for almost 6 straight weeks. The 5 hour marathon runner will likely become injured or severely fatigued very early on in the training plan preventing them from likely finishing the plan out. If a 4 hour runner and 5 hour runner have equal training load coming in, the 4 hour runner could do Hansons Advanced, but it wouldn't be wise for the 5 hour marathon runner to attempt it.

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan but have a different base fitness at start (What is needed?)

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). Since the plan is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. The key difference between this example and the one prior was a desire to see what kind of base is required for each runner to go into the plan with and safely stay out of the "overload" training while spending a majority of the time in "optimal".

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.17.57 PM.png

In this very small screenshot above, you can see the daily running data of the 4 hour runner (left) and 5 hour runner (right). The blue line represents the start of Hansons Advanced.

-In order for the 4 hour marathon runner to be prepared to start Hansons Advanced as written, then they need to have 4 weeks of running about 60 min per day for 6 days per week. This would be about 5.5 hours and 31 miles per week for 4 weeks.

-However, in order for the 6 hour marathon runner to be prepared to start Hansons Advanced as written, then they need to have 10 weeks of running about 60 min per day for 6 days per week. This would be about 5.5 hours and 25 miles per week for 10 weeks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.17.20 PM.png

As you can see, the 4 hour runner will now cover 1023 miles in 178 hours over the course of 22 weeks. The 5 hour runner will cover 1146 miles in 250 hours in 28 weeks. The 4 hour runner now has 130 days (84%) in optimal without ever overtraining and the 5 hour runner now has 168 days (86%) in optimal with overtraining on only 1 day with 11 weeks to go.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan can be used by both a 4 hour marathon runner and 5 hour marathon runner. However, the 5 hour marathon runner needs to be doing about 5.5 hours and 25 miles per week on 6 days a week training for 10 total weeks prior to starting the Hansons plan. The 4 hour marathon runner needs only 4 weeks at the same volume (5.5 hours and 31 miles per week). The conclusion would be, a different suitable base is required for the two different runners to follow the Hansons Advanced plan as written in the book.

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan, but want to adjust without the need for an extended base

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). However, the 5 hour marathon runner changes the plan as written to do the same duration as the 4 hour runner but not the same mileage. This is a potential second way to edit the plan. First was to increase the training base entering the plan. And second is this method of changing the durations of the workouts to lessen the training load overall.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.29.45 PM.png

From this small screenshot above, you can see the durations of the workouts are equal, however the mileage of the 5 hour runner (right) is adjusted based on pace.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.34.35 PM.png

As you can see, the 4 hour runner will cover 898 miles in 155 hours over the course of 18 weeks. The 5 hour runner will cover 718 miles in 155 hours in 18 weeks. The 4 hour runner now has 100 days (79%) in optimal without ever overtraining and the 5 hour runner now has 100 days (79%) in optimal also now without ever overtraining.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan can be used by both a 4 hour marathon runner and 5 hour marathon runner if the 5 hour marathon runner adjusts the durations of their workouts. The two runners can enter the plan with the same training load prior to starting. The conclusion would be changing the mileage based plan to duration based on a 4 hour runner, makes the plan suitable for a 5 hour marathon runner as well.

Conclusions from all examples:

-An unadjusted Galloway Advanced Marathon plan is likely better for a 6 hour runner than a 4 hour runner.
-An adjusted Galloway plan (with back/backs and 150 min LR limit) is a better option for a 4 hour runner and an equal option for a 6 hour runner.
-Hansons Advanced for a 5 hour marathon runner with a non-suitable base will yield overtraining very quickly and likely leave them injured or severely fatigued very early in the plan. A 4 hour marathon runner can suitably complete Hansons Advanced as written with little necessary base adjustments.
-The 4 hour runner needs about 4 weeks of 6 days per week, 60 per day, to be ready for Hansons. The 5 hour runner needs about 10 weeks of 6 days per week, 60 per day, to be ready for Hansons.
-The other conclusion one can see is that with a suitable base, the Hansons Advanced plan yields a significant amount of time in "optimal" training when compared to the Galloway plan. If a 5, 6 or 7 hour marathon runner were to either increase their base, or alter the durations of workouts to match that of the 4 hour runner, then the Hansons Advanced plan would yield an increase in optimal training from around 20% of days to 80-90% of days over Galloway plans.

Hope that was a thought provoking read for you. It surely was a good exercise for me to go through. I'm interested to hear what you think. Did I miss the mark somewhere? Is there some consideration I should have taken into account differently? Is there a different comparison you'd like to see done?

Just catching up on everything after getting back from Florida. Thanks again for all your help with training for the marathon! Whenever I even remotely felt like giving up, I thought about all the people I didn’t want to disappoint and you were high on that list :). And thanks for the interesting analysis above about the different training plans. That was really interesting.

Just catching up on everything after getting back from Florida.

Welcome back! Except I'm sure being in Fl beats being back home (in most cases).

Thanks again for all your help with training for the marathon! Whenever I even remotely felt like giving up, I thought about all the people I didn’t want to disappoint and you were high on that list :).

And thank you for doing your best. Honestly, that's all I can ever ask of someone. Do that and I'll be proud of you know matter what. You earned that finish line with every step you did in training and on victory lap day!

And thanks for the interesting analysis above about the different training plans. That was really interesting.

Thanks! It was an interesting analysis for me. Goes to show there's a lot of thought necessary in choosing the right training plan before getting started. What may work for one person, may be too much or too little for another. But since the training load calculations are based on duration and pace, then it makes sense that using a methodology like I use when writing with focus on duration/pace instead of miles shows that a plan can be equal for two different runners with the correct adjustment.

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles

So yesterday, I took some time to sit down and review the calculations for training load from Stravistix/Elevate. I was finally able to figure out how to apply the "Fitness" and "Fatigue" calculations based on the 42 day time period and 7 day time period. I then attempted to use my own data set to see if I could determine the stress score for different types of runs on a per hour basis. While I can get a general range, it's not specific enough for me to be super accurate with it. But I decided to use those general ranges to evaluate some training plans for different fitness profiles to see how everything would shake out. Keep in mind, training load is another tool in the tool box. It is not the sole determinant of how fast someone is. The word "Fitness" in this does not mean one person is more fit than the other. Rather it means, one person has a higher/lower training load. There is a relationship between how much training load you have and how fast you are, but it is not the only reason, nor is it a sole determinant. Additionally, more so than cycling, I think periodization for skeletal/muscular recovery is important in running. Training load calculations don't completely capture the need for a drop down in training. With that being said, let's take a look.

So the methodology was simple.

-Choose a fitness profile (i.e. a 4 hour marathon runner, 5 hour marathon runner, or 6 hour marathon runner). This would be like it someone came to me with a 2:24 HM recent PR and I evaluated them and said let's train you for a 5 hour marathon based on the race equivalency calculation.
-Choose a training plan. For these examples, I used three different training plans.

A) runDisney Galloway Marathon Advanced
B) Hybrid Galloway Marathon Advanced, but make it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and limited to 30 min weekdays.
C) Hansons Advanced

Then I inputted the fitness paces and the mileage prescribed by the different training plans to determine the stress score, fitness, and fatigue of a person running through the training plan. So in the screenshot below, you can see the days of the week, type of run, duration scheduled, pace, mileage, type score (which I determined as an average from my historical data), stress score, fitness, fatigue, and form (the difference between fitness and fatigue aiding in determining if a training load is "optimal"). Optimal training is defined by Stravistix/Elevate as a Form of -10 to -30. Fresh (race ready) is +5 to +25.

View attachment 376335

So, let's see what we get!

A 4 hour and a 6 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Galloway Marathon Advanced

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 6 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Galloway Marathon Advanced). Since the weekdays are scheduled as 30min, then someone who is faster (4 hour marathon runner) will cover more miles than a slower fitness runner. But, since the weekend is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. I started both of these runners off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

View attachment 376336

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 380 miles in 70:38 hours. Whereas, the 6 hour runner will cover 336 miles (less mileage) in 88:10 hours (more duration). Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 16 days (8%) in the optimal zone. The 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%). Only once does either runner venture into the overload/overtraining zone (6 hour runner after their 26 mile training run). At the end of the training, the 6 hour runner has a 27% increase in training load over the 4 hour runner. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Galloway Advanced Marathon plan is better for the 6 hour marathon runner than it is for the 4 hour marathon runner. They spend more time in optimal and yield a higher training load with barely overtraining.

A 4 hour marathon runner who chooses to use either the Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid version with 4 days per week and back/backs

In this example, there is only one runner. This runner has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner. This runner would choose to do either the standard Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid plan. The hybrid plan adjusts the Galloway Marathon Advanced plan by making it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and still limits to 30 min weekdays. I followed a training plan design I like to follow which is a (low, high, medium, high, repeat) for weekends. The Saturday never exceeds 90 min (8 miles) and the Sunday never exceeds 150 min (15 miles). I started this runner off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

View attachment 376338

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 380 miles in 70:38 hours for the standard plan. Whereas, the 4 hour runner will cover 529 miles (more mileage) in 90:49 hours (more duration) in the hybrid plan. Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 16 days (8%) in the optimal zone in the standard plan. The 4 hour runner will spend 31 days (16%) in the hybrid plan. Neither training plan has the runner venture into the overload/overtraining zone. At the end of the training, the hybrid training plan has a 37% increase in training load over the standard plan. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the hybrid plan allows the 4 hour marathon runner to never have to exceed 150 min LR and still have a 37% increase in training load without ever going into overload. The hybrid plan while lesser of a long run max, seems to allow the runner to be in "optimal training" more often with a higher training load at the end.

A 6 hour marathon runner who chooses to use either the Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid version with 4 days per week and back/backs

In this example, there is only one runner. This runner has a fitness assessment of a 6 hour marathon runner. This runner would choose to do either the standard Galloway Marathon Advanced or a hybrid plan. The hybrid plan adjusts the Galloway Marathon Advanced plan by making it 4 days per week with Sat/Sun, a 150 min LR max, and still limits to 30 min weekdays. I followed a training plan design I like to follow which is a (low, high, medium, high, repeat) for weekends. The Saturday never exceeds 90 min (6 miles) and the Sunday never exceeds 150 min (10 miles). I started this runner off as completely without having run in the last 6 weeks.

View attachment 376358

So in a comparison, the 6 hour runner will run 336 miles in 88:10 hours for the standard plan. Whereas, the 6 hour runner will cover 365 miles (more mileage) in 93:47 hours (more duration) in the hybrid plan. Over the entire 28 week training plan, the 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%) in the optimal zone in the standard plan. The 6 hour runner will spend 35 days (18%) in the optimal zone in the hybrid plan. Only once does the runner venture into overtraining on either plan (standard plan after 26 miles). At the end of the training, the hybrid training plan has an 11% increase in training load over the standard plan. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the hybrid plan allows the 6 hour marathon runner to never have to exceed 150 min LR and still have an 11% increase in training load without ever going into overload. The hybrid plan while lesser of a long run max (10 miles vs 26 miles), seems to allow the runner to be in "optimal training" as often with a higher training load at the end than the standard plan. But the difference is pretty close between these two plans. So for a 6 hour marathon runner, these two options would appear to be pretty close. The decision would be, do I want to do a maximal 6:50 hour training run, or a 1.5+2.5 hour training run 3 weeks prior (and before obviously too)?

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). Since the plan is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. I started both of these runners off as having a small running base prior to starting of 20 points each (we'll get to this in the next example). @mankle30 should review the next few examples.

View attachment 376340

So in a comparison, the 4 hour runner will run 898 miles in 155:47 hours in Hansons Advanced. Whereas, the 5 hour runner will cover 898 miles (same mileage) in 194:44 hours (more duration) in the same plan. Over the entire 18 (shorter plan than Galloway) week training plan, the 4 hour runner will spend 100 days (79%) in the optimal zone. Whereas, the 5 hour runner will spend 87 days (69%) in the optimal zone. The 4 hour runner never goes into overload, but the 5 hour runner spends 24 days in overload (in the first 6 weeks the runner is almost exclusively in overload). At the end of the training, the 5 hour marathon runner has a 25% increase in training load over the 4 hour runner. Both are in the "race ready" zone.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan is more balanced for a 4 hour runner than a 5 hour runner when both come in with an equal training load prior. The 5 hour marathon runner when following the Hansons Advanced plan almost immediately goes into overload training and maintains that state for almost 6 straight weeks. The 5 hour marathon runner will likely become injured or severely fatigued very early on in the training plan preventing them from likely finishing the plan out. If a 4 hour runner and 5 hour runner have equal training load coming in, the 4 hour runner could do Hansons Advanced, but it wouldn't be wise for the 5 hour marathon runner to attempt it.

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan but have a different base fitness at start (What is needed?)

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). Since the plan is mileage based, the slower runner will cover more duration during those runs because they take longer to cover the same distance. The key difference between this example and the one prior was a desire to see what kind of base is required for each runner to go into the plan with and safely stay out of the "overload" training while spending a majority of the time in "optimal".

View attachment 376351

In this very small screenshot above, you can see the daily running data of the 4 hour runner (left) and 5 hour runner (right). The blue line represents the start of Hansons Advanced.

-In order for the 4 hour marathon runner to be prepared to start Hansons Advanced as written, then they need to have 4 weeks of running about 60 min per day for 6 days per week. This would be about 5.5 hours and 31 miles per week for 4 weeks.

-However, in order for the 6 hour marathon runner to be prepared to start Hansons Advanced as written, then they need to have 10 weeks of running about 60 min per day for 6 days per week. This would be about 5.5 hours and 25 miles per week for 10 weeks.

View attachment 376348

As you can see, the 4 hour runner will now cover 1023 miles in 178 hours over the course of 22 weeks. The 5 hour runner will cover 1146 miles in 250 hours in 28 weeks. The 4 hour runner now has 130 days (84%) in optimal without ever overtraining and the 5 hour runner now has 168 days (86%) in optimal with overtraining on only 1 day with 11 weeks to go.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan can be used by both a 4 hour marathon runner and 5 hour marathon runner. However, the 5 hour marathon runner needs to be doing about 5.5 hours and 25 miles per week on 6 days a week training for 10 total weeks prior to starting the Hansons plan. The 4 hour marathon runner needs only 4 weeks at the same volume (5.5 hours and 31 miles per week). The conclusion would be, a different suitable base is required for the two different runners to follow the Hansons Advanced plan as written in the book.

A 4 hour and a 5 hour marathon runner who choose to use the Hansons Advanced Marathon Plan, but want to adjust without the need for an extended base

In this example, there are two different runners. One has a fitness assessment of a 4 hour marathon runner and the other is a 5 hour marathon runner. Both have chosen to use the same exact plan (Hansons Advanced). However, the 5 hour marathon runner changes the plan as written to do the same duration as the 4 hour runner but not the same mileage. This is a potential second way to edit the plan. First was to increase the training base entering the plan. And second is this method of changing the durations of the workouts to lessen the training load overall.

View attachment 376359

From this small screenshot above, you can see the durations of the workouts are equal, however the mileage of the 5 hour runner (right) is adjusted based on pace.

View attachment 376361

As you can see, the 4 hour runner will cover 898 miles in 155 hours over the course of 18 weeks. The 5 hour runner will cover 718 miles in 155 hours in 18 weeks. The 4 hour runner now has 100 days (79%) in optimal without ever overtraining and the 5 hour runner now has 100 days (79%) in optimal also now without ever overtraining.

Conclusion: From this, we would say the Hansons Advanced plan can be used by both a 4 hour marathon runner and 5 hour marathon runner if the 5 hour marathon runner adjusts the durations of their workouts. The two runners can enter the plan with the same training load prior to starting. The conclusion would be changing the mileage based plan to duration based on a 4 hour runner, makes the plan suitable for a 5 hour marathon runner as well.

Conclusions from all examples:

-An unadjusted Galloway Advanced Marathon plan is likely better for a 6 hour runner than a 4 hour runner.
-An adjusted Galloway plan (with back/backs and 150 min LR limit) is a better option for a 4 hour runner and an equal option for a 6 hour runner.
-Hansons Advanced for a 5 hour marathon runner with a non-suitable base will yield overtraining very quickly and likely leave them injured or severely fatigued very early in the plan. A 4 hour marathon runner can suitably complete Hansons Advanced as written with little necessary base adjustments.
-The 4 hour runner needs about 4 weeks of 6 days per week, 60 per day, to be ready for Hansons. The 5 hour runner needs about 10 weeks of 6 days per week, 60 per day, to be ready for Hansons.
-The other conclusion one can see is that with a suitable base, the Hansons Advanced plan yields a significant amount of time in "optimal" training when compared to the Galloway plan. If a 5, 6 or 7 hour marathon runner were to either increase their base, or alter the durations of workouts to match that of the 4 hour runner, then the Hansons Advanced plan would yield an increase in optimal training from around 20% of days to 80-90% of days over Galloway plans.

Hope that was a thought provoking read for you. It surely was a good exercise for me to go through. I'm interested to hear what you think. Did I miss the mark somewhere? Is there some consideration I should have taken into account differently? Is there a different comparison you'd like to see done?
Great read Billy! Also love focusing on # of days spent in optimum training. Another great example that proves each plan/method adds tools for the tool box, but each runner needs to pull different tools out to max their potential. I believe no runner can say they’ve hit their max potential(other than age obviously), as there is always ways to improve :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter