To DDP or Not to DDP - That Is the Question

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
Yes, folks. Yet another "should I or shouldn't I" question.:duck: I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to hunker down and conduct a deep-dive analysis on OOP cost vs DDP but, we're going to be there 15 nights during F&W and my overworked brain just isn't into it right now.

In any case, our travel party will consist of myself and two of my 20-something-year-old sons. We're foodies, adventurous eaters and consider dining part of the fun. We typically eat one sit-down meal per day, often at a signature venue. Most of the time, we all order our own appetizer and tend to order the more expensive items on the menu (not on purpose, just works out that way).

Factors to consider:

• I'm contemplating regular DDP
  • We are DVC members and get some dining discounts already
  • We'll be purchasing gold APs (AP discount up to 20% off at many of the establishments we'll be dining at)
  • We'll be partaking in the lovely boozy libations that Disney has to offer (no boozy discount via AP or DVC)
  • If we go with the DDP, some of the QS credits will be utilized at F&W booths (might be a good value)
  • Or, we scrap DDP altogether and just get TIW (boozy discounts included and yes, I tip more than 18%)

Thoughts?

You are going to need to do some deep diving, sorry but that is the best way to figure it out. TIW was increased last year so I think the break even now is $750, I'm assuming over the course of 15 days with two 20 somethings and booze you will break even pretty quick. I go during F&W and most of meals are at the booths or at some of the dining experiences. If you use the dining plan at the booths you have to either order something marked snack (which I don't think many of them are) or you can use a QS credit for 3 things from one booth (no booze allowed). I'm thinking the dining plan might not be the way to go for you, possible TIW and your AP will be better. Frankly, last trip we ate at a signature just about every day and our AP only got us a discount at 2, just so happened where we ate didn't give AP discounts. More places tend to give the TIW discount.

I thought as much. Might be a project to start on tomorrow then since I'm off a couple days.

Just an FYI in case you ever go during F&W, most of the food items are considered snack credit-eligible and range in price between approximately $3-$8, so it can be a good use of QS credits depending on the items being purchased.

I thought as much. Might be a project to start on tomorrow then since I'm off a couple days.

Just an FYI in case you ever go during F&W, most of the food items are considered snack credit-eligible and range in price between approximately $3-$8, so it can be a good use of QS credits depending on the items being purchased.

Just remember, IF they still allow this this year, you have to get all 3 snacks at the same booth at the same time and don't combine with any other orders. The exchange of QS to 3 snacks has been hit or miss this year.

If signature dining and apps are your usual, you may want to see if the DxDDP makes sense. It will all depend on how many TS you plan to do during your 15-night stay.

I developed a spread sheet with a formula built in a few years ago to solve this problem for each trip. I take the menus and figure out what my picky eating family is most likely to eat and then compare to the "equivalent" dining credit. It works for us.

Just remember, IF they still allow this this year, you have to get all 3 snacks at the same booth at the same time and don't combine with any other orders. The exchange of QS to 3 snacks has been hit or miss this year.

If signature dining and apps are your usual, you may want to see if the DxDDP makes sense. It will all depend on how many TS you plan to do during your 15-night stay.

I'm sorry, this is our first time doing F&W and we had planned on using snack credits at the kiosks. Can you explain what you mean by this? If myself and my husband each want to get something different, but our kids don't want anything at this kiosk, they can't get anything from the next booth?

Yes, folks. Yet another "should I or shouldn't I" question.:duck: I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to hunker down and conduct a deep-dive analysis on OOP cost vs DDP but, we're going to be there 15 nights during F&W and my overworked brain just isn't into it right now.

In any case, our travel party will consist of myself and two of my 20-something-year-old sons. We're foodies, adventurous eaters and consider dining part of the fun. We typically eat one sit-down meal per day, often at a signature venue. Most of the time, we all order our own appetizer and tend to order the more expensive items on the menu (not on purpose, just works out that way).

Factors to consider:

• I'm contemplating regular DDP
  • We are DVC members and get some dining discounts already
  • We'll be purchasing gold APs (AP discount up to 20% off at many of the establishments we'll be dining at)
  • We'll be partaking in the lovely boozy libations that Disney has to offer (no boozy discount via AP or DVC)
  • If we go with the DDP, some of the QS credits will be utilized at F&W booths (might be a good value)
  • Or, we scrap DDP altogether and just get TIW (boozy discounts included and yes, I tip more than 18%)

Thoughts?
We've found paying out of pocket to be much less expensive than paying for a dining plan, so that is our preference.

I developed a spread sheet with a formula built in a few years ago to solve this problem for each trip. I take the menus and figure out what my picky eating family is most likely to eat and then compare to the "equivalent" dining credit. It works for us.

I'm sorry, this is our first time doing F&W and we had planned on using snack credits at the kiosks. Can you explain what you mean by this? If myself and my husband each want to get something different, but our kids don't want anything at this kiosk, they can't get anything from the next booth?

If you're using SNACK credits, you can get as many or as few at each booth as you want. In the past, guests have been able to use a QS credit and get 3 snacks for it, but as I said, this had to be done at ONE booth. Don't know if they will still allow that this year or not. Snack credits will be no problem.

you really do need to do the analysis based on your eating habits.
Everyone who claims that you can't save much money with DDP seems not to accept that one can. My wife and I go during free dining but stay at a value resort so we get the quick service plan at no additional cost. We upgrade to the deluxe for $68. Since we get 3 meal credits that means we are paying $23 a credit. We dine twice a day--- a late morning brunch and a late dinner usually at a signature. We certainly get more than $23 worth of food at our brunch and more than $46 at any signature restaurant. But we eat lots of seafood and steak! Of course, the $23 per credit cost does not factor in the two snacks a day nor the drink cup. We figure we save about $800 using the DDP over paying OOP for a 12 day trip.

If you're using SNACK credits, you can get as many or as few at each booth as you want. In the past, guests have been able to use a QS credit and get 3 snacks for it, but as I said, this had to be done at ONE booth. Don't know if they will still allow that this year or not. Snack credits will be no problem.
Ah, OK. I apologize, I misunderstood you post. Thanks for clarifying :)

Yeah, I don't even have to do the math here... DDP will NOT work out for your party, especially compared to the discounts you're already getting. DxDP would require doing some math, but QSDP/DDP just can't cut it compared to DVC/AP discounts.

As for the TIW card, that comes down to how much you plan to spend over the course of a year as to whether it's worth the up-front fee.

you really do need to do the analysis based on your eating habits.
Everyone who claims that you can't save much money with DDP seems not to accept that one can. My wife and I go during free dining but stay at a value resort so we get the quick service plan at no additional cost. We upgrade to the deluxe for $68. Since we get 3 meal credits that means we are paying $23 a credit. We dine twice a day--- a late morning brunch and a late dinner usually at a signature. We certainly get more than $23 worth of food at our brunch and more than $46 at any signature restaurant. But we eat lots of seafood and steak! Of course, the $23 per credit cost does not factor in the two snacks a day nor the drink cup. We figure we save about $800 using the DDP over paying OOP for a 12 day trip.

Technically, you're getting the QSDP at no additional cost, but in practice, it costs you any other potential discounts (like a room rate discount) that you otherwise might have gotten. Plus the ticket purchase requirement, which is a wash unless you don't want/need park hoppers.

If having the best price is your priority, then you will need to deep dive and start calculating.
If convenience and the thought of being "pre-paid" is priority, then dining plan is the way to go.

Based on your description of ordering appetizers and alcoholic beverages (neither of which or covered on the DDP) and you have TIW, then my initial though is you would likely be better off with no dining plan.

We have not done F&W but for us paying OOP ends up being much cheaper than the DDP. I am an accountant and figure it out each trip just to satisfy my curiosity. We have saved money each trip. We eat at least 1 TS per day - some times 2. The trips that we had the TIW card - we saved hundreds of dollars over the DDP.

I drove myself crazy over this last year. in the end I added it. Glad I did it was nice to not look at prices on menu and get sticker shock. Do i come out ahead or behind, not sure but not stressing about it was worth it.. Definitely adding this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter