To all Parents of kids with ADHD

Wow I am so glad I hopped on over here! We have been struggling with my son for years. He had chronic ear infections as a child which caused him to not hear correctly which in turn became delayed speech. Two years of privately funded speech then into the school system. Last year we had a wonderful teacher with an LD child and he went from 2 hrs of Special Ed to full inclusion - this year (3rd grade) has been a nightmare.

We just converted from LD to ADD (no hyper here just inattentive) and are now trying to muddle our way through. This summer we are going to work with a behaviorist to work on fucusing issues (he is fine one on one just not in a classroom) and have decided to try Focasil as well.

My son HATES medicine but when I broached the subject he was so excited that it may help him not daydream - it just broke my heart that a little guy who won't take an asprin is willing to take medication to try and stop his mind from whirling.

We are agonizing over this - I always try not to use meds lightly but I am hoping that some dramatic IEP changes and some other things we are going to try will be beneficial - more so then meds.

To see people struggle with this as I am actually makes me feel good - I think we all want what is best for our kids. I am lucky too that my school is really trying to help us out with this and work with us but it is such a struggle....

Wish us luck we are going to try it on Saturday to see how it goes...

Wow I am so glad I hopped on over here! We have been struggling with my son for years. He had chronic ear infections as a child which caused him to not hear correctly which in turn became delayed speech. Two years of privately funded speech then into the school system. Last year we had a wonderful teacher with an LD child and he went from 2 hrs of Special Ed to full inclusion - this year (3rd grade) has been a nightmare.

We just converted from LD to ADD (no hyper here just inattentive) and are now trying to muddle our way through. This summer we are going to work with a behaviorist to work on fucusing issues (he is fine one on one just not in a classroom) and have decided to try Focasil as well.

My son HATES medicine but when I broached the subject he was so excited that it may help him not daydream - it just broke my heart that a little guy who won't take an asprin is willing to take medication to try and stop his mind from whirling.

We are agonizing over this - I always try not to use meds lightly but I am hoping that some dramatic IEP changes and some other things we are going to try will be beneficial - more so then meds.

To see people struggle with this as I am actually makes me feel good - I think we all want what is best for our kids. I am lucky too that my school is really trying to help us out with this and work with us but it is such a struggle....

The best of luck to you and your son! This is a very tough road to be on. :hug:

FYI...Adderall XR and Focalin XR (and maybe a few others) capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled on yogurt or pudding. That way you don't have to worry about the whole pill swallowing thing. In case you are ever looking for an alternative to the patch.
My nephew takes his with vanilla ice cream.
Luckily, when he came with us to WDW, we were staying at OKW, so we had a refrigerator with a freezer. I would not want to have to explain why we had a medical need for a freezer.;)

Hi there, my son takes Focalin XR for his ADHD and my 11 yo daughter takes the same for ADD (inattentive type) I just sprinkle it on a spoonful of applesauce in the morning and the we are done for the day. I can see alot of improvement for my son between the hours of 8-4 but then it starts wearing off. So I will be talking to doc about that bercause it is like a switch goes off. Angel one minute, then the next :eek: He also does not eat much during the day (this is one of the side effect for some of the kids) but is ravenous from 5-9 eats about every 1/2 hour. You habe to just let them in these instances. My daughter on the other hand eats fine during the day. You can also tell not as much if it is helping since she is not hyper the changes are more with focusing. The teacher says she can see the difference when she is on it.

If you have any questions let me know. They are both on 10 mg.

Hi there, my son takes Focalin XR for his ADHD and my 11 yo daughter takes the same for ADD (inattentive type) I just sprinkle it on a spoonful of applesauce in the morning and the we are done for the day. I can see alot of improvement for my son between the hours of 8-4 but then it starts wearing off. So I will be talking to doc about that bercause it is like a switch goes off. Angel one minute, then the next :eek: He also does not eat much during the day (this is one of the side effect for some of the kids) but is ravenous from 5-9 eats about every 1/2 hour. You habe to just let them in these instances. My daughter on the other hand eats fine during the day. You can also tell not as much if it is helping since she is not hyper the changes are more with focusing. The teacher says she can see the difference when she is on it.

Thank you to everyone for the advice. We tried the Focalin on Saturday - put it in vanilla ice cream then had DS sprinkle some *magic sprinkles* (store bought sprinkles on it and it was in (this is the child who refuses any and all medication.

Interestingly he was a chatterbox all day - he usually talks a lot but this was a ton. What was the change is the detailed discussion he had with us about everything. He said he felt like he could describe better and his brain was really clear.

He ate like a pig all day and was so sweet. He also informed me he did not hate waiting anymore (we were at a restaurant and service was slow) The best part was a boy from his class was at the restaurant and DS actually went up to him and played for a while - DS has never done this (he has socialization issues) He also wanted to read last night and informed me he felt like he could do homework

Today we did not take it and he said he can feel a difference. He is not as chatty and not interested in reading. I am still on the fence until next week when he is in school but I did see a difference and more importantly he said he felt great.

Crossing my fingers!

My DD9 is also on Focalin XR (20mg). Hers, too, wears off around 4 in the afternoon. She then takes 10mg of short-acting Ritalin to get through homework and the rest of the evening (lasts about 4 hours). She also takes 25mg of Strattera with the Ritalin, which helps with her impulsivity, and it has also greatly reduced the rebounding effect. Maybe you could talk to your ped. about adding an afternoon dose of the Ritalin. Good luck!

We just started giving our DS (age 4 1/2) meds for the first time. Dr. prescribed chlonodine 2 x day & I have yet to notice any kid of difference. He's been on this about 3 weeks now, has anyone else experienced this happening? It was so hard for me to try meds & now they're not even working!

He is so impulsive & opositional that I really can't take him out anymore. He just won't listen to anything anyone tells him & I don't know what else to do. He is such a sweet boy when he isn't acting out & I just wish he could stay like that all of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter