Tipping Ooops (WWYD)

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
I was a music festival this past weekend. I bought a beer and accidentally put in a $10.00 instead of a $1.00 tip. What would you have done in this situation? Would you have asked them to void the transaction and redo it? Would you have said oh well, my mistake and gone on with your day? Would it make a difference if you had done $50 vs $5?

I was a music festival this past weekend. I bought a beer and accidentally put in a $10.00 instead of a $1.00 tip. What would you have done in this situation? Would you have asked them to void the transaction and redo it? Would you have said oh well, my mistake and gone on with your day? Would it make a difference if you had done $50 vs $5?

$10 instead of $1, I definitely would have just chalked up to making someone's day. :goodvibes

If I accidentally typed $50 instead of $5, I would have admitted the mistake and asked to fix it (but probably given them $7 or $8 instead of the $5 to make up for the hassle.)

I overtipped for an Uber trip. When I entered the car, I selected the pre-tip option. Then when we got dropped off, I received the email without the tip added, and waited 15 minutes -- the second email never arrived, so I thought I messed up and clicked it again. Wound up double charging me for the tip. I just ate it as something to remember next time.

Worst part was that it was an AWFUL driver. He actually stopped in the middle of the road to YELL at me for overreacting about his driving. I'm not one not to tip, but I certainly wouldn't have tipped MORE.

I'd consider that I just helped out someone with a little extra cash if it was just ten bucks. Fifty bucks? I would be extremely annoyed with myself but not ask anyone to void/redo. A hundred bucks and I'd have to think twice. I still don't know if I'd ask for a void/redo but I'd stop drinking for awhile. :)

I overtipped for an Uber trip. When I entered the car, I selected the pre-tip option.

I thought tipping is something you do when the provided service has been completed and you are satisfied/pleased with it? Very strange to ask for a tip BEFORE you travel.

I always look twice at any tip screen before hitting 'enter'. It is far too easy lately to overtip or spend more than you planned if you don't carefully read the screen. One local grocery store is asking you to tip $5-$10 each time you shop for some local charity. That can certainly add up over a period of time. I just decline that tip. I don't mind the other stores that ask you if you want to 'round up' your total to the next dollar. Usually that will only be a few cents and seems reasonable.

Took a cruise in 1985 and a guy accidentally tipped his cab driver $100 (cash) instead of $10 in St. Thomas on a $10 cab ride. He went to the cab stand and they got on the radio and asked if anyone had received a $100 tip, The cabbie spoke up, and returned the $100 and got a $20 tip instead. There are honest people out there.

Took a cruise in 1985 and a guy accidentally tipped his cab driver $100 (cash) instead of $10 in St. Thomas on a $10 cab ride. He went to the cab stand and they got on the radio and asked if anyone had received a $100 tip, The cabbie spoke up, and returned the $100 and got a $20 tip instead. There are honest people out there.
Not quite the same thing, some years ago with airline check in at blt, DH went down to the check in spot to receive the luggage. I waited in the room for bell services to get the luggage. I tipped the guy, when he brought the luggage to DH, DH was ready to tip again, not knowing I had done it. CM tuned it down.

$10 I would have just let it go. My bad. I'm out $10 but if it were more like $20, $50, $100 I would have absolutely said something.

I overtipped for an Uber trip. When I entered the car, I selected the pre-tip option. Then when we got dropped off, I received the email without the tip added, and waited 15 minutes -- the second email never arrived, so I thought I messed up and clicked it again. Wound up double charging me for the tip. I just ate it as something to remember next time.
I don't like how Uber sends the email after without including the tip you gave. I was second guessing myself last time I used Uber also for that reason

Glad to see I’m not the only one who has over tipped. This week I went to Gideons in Disney Springs. I purchased six cookies, a slice of cake and two pins. Total was $80something (pins were $18 each. Opps). Anywho, I was surprised to see an option for a Tip appear on the screen, because I’ve never been asked at any Disney establishment except table service for a tip. I usually am a very generous tipper. I tipped $11 on a $28 meal at Kona Cafe. But for an hourly position where she literally put cookies in a box I’ll tip $1 or $2. But, feeling genrous with all the hoopla around Gideons I selected 15%. That was a BIG tip for placing cookies in a box!

Worst part was that it was an AWFUL driver. He actually stopped in the middle of the road to YELL at me for overreacting about his driving. I'm not one not to tip, but I certainly wouldn't have tipped MORE.
A little OT maybe, but it's stories like yours as well as increasingly poor experiences we've had that are causing me to loathe Uber. We've gone back to good old fashioned taxi cab service wherever possible. :drive:

That happened during COVID. I ordered curbside and the total came to maybe ~$50. I tipped $10, but somehow the site charged $85, total was $135. I called and said, please cancel the order, the website overcharged for my tip. Luckily they were understanding, but that was a shock to see on my cc notification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter