• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping in Ireland

redzinner

Me Wants the Medianoche!
In Italy there were restrooms with attendants that had their basket available for tipping. These attendants handed out hand towels and kept the facilities cleaner than the average public restroom I gather.

Is the same true in Ireland or is that just a 'continental' custom?

Also, is the gratuity already added to the restaurant bill (on those nights we are on our own) or does it differ for each restaurant? 10% 15% 20%?

In Italy there were restrooms with attendants that had their basket available for tipping. These attendants handed out hand towels and kept the facilities cleaner than the average public restroom I gather.

Is the same true in Ireland or is that just a 'continental' custom?

Also, is the gratuity already added to the restaurant bill (on those nights we are on our own) or does it differ for each restaurant? 10% 15% 20%?

Not true in Ireland - no attendants in any of the rest areas/rooms we used. I don't recall gratuity being added to any of our dinner bills either (we stuck to pub fare), we just added gratuity ourselves. DH also had a long talk with a bartender at a pub about tipping in pubs - he found out that most people DON'T tip for beer or alcohol only, that no tip was expected either (because the drinks are so expensive). Tipping on pub fare was anywhere from 10-20%based on service received.

Minimum wage in Ireland is $11.36 an hour including all waiting staff so tipping is not essential. I tip when service has been good and I usually tip about 10%.

Thanks for the answers. $11.36 an hour? What's their equivalent to a Green Card? I may apply for one while I'm over there!

Thanks for the answers. $11.36 an hour? What's their equivalent to a Green Card? I may apply for one while I'm over there!

But Poppins said the drinks are expensive, so it goes hand-in-hand! Though, I would be right behind you applying for the green card regardless. ;)

Yep, in Dublin a pint of Guinness was 6 to 8 Euros last May...a liquor drink was anywhere from 15 to 20 euros:eek:

UK and Ireland, is not big on tipping. We would never tip for buying drinks in a bar, maybe let them keep the small change, as long as its not a lot:rolleyes1.
As for eating , i would usually leave about €5, and never leave tips for the maids. Wages are quite good here so its different to the states when tipping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter