• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Timing for vacations

cndmama05

Mouseketeer
First world problem I know...but maybe you guys can figure it out for me

But..we just can't seem to find the perfect timing for vacations. DH and I own a business but I can work remotely, he has to be there. There are slower times in his work (early spring and mid to late summer). I have a 14 year old stepson that lives with us and 2 young daughters (I am not worried if they have to miss some school, SS however shouldn't be missing much, if any.
That limits us to travelling in the middle of summer, which obviously is not the most ideal because peak prices, hot/hurricane weather and its really nice in the summer where we live, its the winters we want to get away from.
BEfore we started our own business we planned to get away for a week every winter and it was great. Now it is just hard to coordinate.

First world problem I know...but maybe you guys can figure it out for me

But..we just can't seem to find the perfect timing for vacations. DH and I own a business but I can work remotely, he has to be there. There are slower times in his work (early spring and mid to late summer). I have a 14 year old stepson that lives with us and 2 young daughters (I am not worried if they have to miss some school, SS however shouldn't be missing much, if any.
That limits us to travelling in the middle of summer, which obviously is not the most ideal because peak prices, hot/hurricane weather and its really nice in the summer where we live, its the winters we want to get away from.
BEfore we started our own business we planned to get away for a week every winter and it was great. Now it is just hard to coordinate.
Does SS have any days off other than summer you can plan around him missing like just a day or 2?

Does SS have any days off other than summer you can plan around him missing like just a day or 2?

Well he has exam week but it would be hard to plan around that until we get the exam schedule a month before that week.

Theres only long weekeends other than that. The problem is that we live sort of the middle of nowhere so flights are expensive and it takes extra time to fly because there are no direct flights anywhere unless we drive 8 hours to the international airport.

Well he has exam week but it would be hard to plan around that until we get the exam schedule a month before that week.

Theres only long weekeends other than that. The problem is that we live sort of the middle of nowhere so flights are expensive and it takes extra time to fly because there are no direct flights anywhere unless we drive 8 hours to the international airport.

No winter or spring breaks/? I know not all schools are structured the same, but that does seem unusual. Even a long weekend with 2 days tacked onto it could give you an opportunity to get away in the winter, if you really want to avoid going in the summer.

No winter or spring breaks/? I know not all schools are structured the same, but that does seem unusual. Even a long weekend with 2 days tacked onto it could give you an opportunity to get away in the winter, if you really want to avoid going in the summer.

Sorry yes there is a christmas and spring break but those are busy times for DH. So I wasn't counting those

Sorry yes there is a christmas and spring break but those are busy times for DH. So I wasn't counting those

Ah gotcha. It's so hard coordinating multiple schedules! The only other thing I'd suggest is maybe trying for something early in the school year, before things have gotten too intense academically. That's when we pulled our boys out of school for a week at Disney, DS1 was in middle school at the time and his academics didn't really ramp up until October.

We always went the week right after finals while the kids were in high school(sounds like your middle school has the same schedule). It was like the first week of school all over again and they never missed much. This was the always the third or fourth week of January for us.

After my kids entered middle school we just bit the bullet and started vacationing in summer. We ended up LOVING summer and now it’s our favorite time to go. We are also self-employed and there really is no obvious good time for us to be gone so we just go with what works best for us. And as the kids have gotten into high school they are ready for that summer vacation after a long, sometimes stressful, school year.

I think some decent discounts can be had in Summer. In your shoes i would just plan for Summer and make the best of it. If SS cannot miss school, and the school breaks are busy for your DH, your choices are very limited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter