• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Time for a solid rope drop plan - will you help, please?

Basic question but just want to make sure I have it right - Fantasyland attractions are the best use of EMH time (we definitely want to ride the attractions that are not at WDW) because they do not have FP, correct?
Yes, but only Peter Pan if you can get on in the first rush of people, waiting 10 minutes or less. This requires being at the rope VERY early and being willing to move quickly (and it's harder if you have a stroller to park).

If you're going to wait more than 10 minutes for Peter Pan, it's better to knock out a bunch of the other Fantasyland rides instead (Mr. Toad's, Alice, Dumbo, etc. will all have long waits later). Teacups never get too long, so I'd do them near the end.

Nemo also doesn't have FP, so some people head there near the end of MM - it's a long ride, so not really worth spending valuable MM time on it, but hopping in near rope drop isn't a bad idea if it's something you want to ride.

Basic question but just want to make sure I have it right - Fantasyland attractions are the best use of EMH time (we definitely want to ride the attractions that are not at WDW) because they do not have FP, correct?
Correct. The only FP attractions in Fantasyland are Matterhorn and IaSW, so visiting the others during EMH/MM is the best use of that time if you want to ride without (much of) a wait.

Last Monday, we (two adults) went to Disneyland for the first time in 21 years. We've been WDW annual pass holders on and off and love WDW (as well as DCL).
We had researched the MaxPass beforehand, but decided to wait and see.

We arrived at the gate 8:15 am, and it wasn't too busy.
Gate opened at 8:30 am, and we went straight to the Tomorrowland rope. We read about the advice to go to Fantasyland first, but while those rides are cute, they're not on our most-do list. 9:00 am the rope dropped, and off to Hyperspace Mountain we went. Before we went into the main queue, we got a Fastpass, and then went in line with still only a 15 minute wait. At that moment we decided not to get MaxPass, and just to do it the traditional way.

Our day was as followed:
Hyperspace Mountain 15 minute wait
Hyperspace Mountain w/ FP @ 9:55 am
Matterhorn Bobsleds 10 minute wait.
Indiana Jones Adventure w/ FP @ 10:40 am
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 10 minute wait.
Star Tours w/ FP @ 11:50 am
Lunch
Splash Mountain w/ FP @ 12:25 pm
Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island no wait
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad w/ FP @ 1:30 pm
Haunted Mansion w/ FP @ 2:05 pm

Shopping at Main Street U.S.A.
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln 5 minute wait
Indiana Jones Adventure w/ FP @ 4:45 pm
Explored Mickey's Toontown.
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin w/ FP @ 5:20 pm
"It's a Small World" w/ FP @ 5:40 pm

Pixar Parade @ 6:00 pm
Disneyland Railroad no wait
Dinner
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad w/ FP @ 9:00 pm
Fireworks @ 9:30 pm
Desert
Pinocchio's Daring Journey 15 minute wait
Snow White's Scary Adventures 10 minute wait
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride 15 minute wait
Alice in Wonderland 15 minute wait

10 Fastpasses and we got to do everything we wanted (except for Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage, which closed down several times that day), and our top 3 rides twice. Sure, we walked around a bit to get the Fastpasses, but we're used to WDW and we're fit and young, so that didn't bother us. We had a magical day!

That's what we usually do. I am the only one with MP on my AP, and we don't want to spend the money for everyone else. Funny thing is a year ago everyone was doing paper FP and were happy about it and happy they didn't have to prebook like at WDW, then MP came out and everyone began proclaiming it amazing. It is convenient, but FP still works without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter