• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tim passed the Grade 10 Literacy Test!

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
Of course, I knew he would but it's nice to get the letter confirming it. :)

Now he has to get busy with his community service hours. He's got close to 20hrs of the 40 required for graduation in 2 years.

My DD brought her letter home yesterday saying she had passed as well :). So far she's also done about 20 hours of her Community Service, so as you said, still has the next 2 years to complete the remaining 20.

Congrats to your DD, Lisa! Has she had problems finding volunteer opportunities? Tim got most of his this past Christmas, helping out a church's christmas sales and a few hours here and there elsewhere. I don't find it easy finding volunteer places for him around here without doing a lot of phoning around.

Congrats to both of your kids! Michael got his letter about a month ago saying that he'd passed. You can bet he was one happy kid since English is not his strong point. He also has all of his hours already. He got most of them last year when I was a Beaver leader. He came every week and was my activity leader. He's also gotten hours by working the fun fair at the elementary school and by working with Len at the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton.

I just got off the phone with the high school secretary and found out that Tim could volunteer after school helping out in the office, library, they also have a greenhouse etc. I wish I'd known this earlier!! I just hope I can get him to stay after school a day or two a week! :rolleyes:

Congrats. I know last year I felt a sense of relief when I got the letter saying Chris had passed although I knew that he would.

He has all of his 40 hours done but hasn't brought home the form for signing yet. He got his Chief Scout award in Scouts which qualifies them for the hours as they have to do a lot of volunteer work for it. I was a scout leader at the time and our scouts helped out a couple of nights at In From the Cold -- I don't think that's the proper name but local churches provide a hot meal and a place to stay for the night for homeless. Our scouts really enjoyed this and actually 2 of the churches in Thornhill participated so we helped out a couple of nights there and we also went to a church downtown. Our scouts really enjoyed it as they helped serve dinner. They did not stay the night or anything just helped serve dinner. It opened their eyes to something they would not otherwise see and made them realize that homeless (or poor) people are just regular people like everyone else but have had tough things happen to them.

We also had them volunteer for the local co-op nursery fun day, they delivered flyers for the local rate payers association also. I have to admit though that it was hard getting them the volunteer hours because a lot of places weren't interested in younger teenagers.

Cdnmickeylover

Just saw your message Kathy and Congrats to Matt! I've been waiting for this letter for weeks now and it finally came in the mail yesterday.

I think some kids have had good opportunities to get their hours because they are already involved in something. I thought Tim would like to volunteer at the animal shelter but was told last year that he had to be 16 (I think it was that age) so it's been hard to find things. I thought they'd have lists up in the schools that the kids could apply for, but no, you've got to go out and find these volunteer things yourself. I also thought the food bank would be good and phoned and spoke to them, but they've never called Tim in.

Congrats to Chris and I think that's been the thing cdnmickeylover, a lot of places don't want the younger teenagers! I honestly didn't think this would be so difficult!!! I hope Tim takes advantage for hours at his high school. I really hope to get this finished over the summer so it's off my mind!

Thanks Julie & yes she does have several opportunities (thankfully). A lot of the kids here are having a hard time. We actually live in what used to be a small town outside of Ottawa (but now we're 1 big happy city :)) and most places don't want the help...they find it too much trouble. So I'm thankful that DD is so involved with school/community productions (plays, musicals, etc) that qualify and is able to get the required hours. DS, who is graduating in June, managed to get his done as well but it's really hard without a "BIG" commitment from the parents. I think it's very hard for a lot of working parents but I won't "go there". I'm just "selfishly" thankful it's almost over for us!

I just wish my son would bring the form home so it can be signed. I've actually signed the form for most of the scouts over the last two years -- although it's the parents who bring the forms to me!!! But my DS and his friend also named Chris -- no forms yet -- maybe it's the name. He has caught the bus 7 mornings in a row though so I guess I can't ask for everything all at once.

I think that since it's now a requirement that there should be some effort on the part of the school to provide the opportunities or at least the contacts but there's nothing which I don't think is right at all.

Cdnmickeylover

For me the 40 hours of community involvement was easy. The school is a great place to help out at. Some things I did was help out with the craft show, with the reunion, with a sports team, sorting library books, registration, open house and painting a mural. If your son likes sports it might be good idea to help out with one (doing score keeping, marking the lines for football or keeping track of the time).

If your looking at an easy way to complete the 40 hours is to help sort toys for the Chum City Christmas Wish. The center for sorting the toys is in Mississauga I believe and it was a lot of fun. All you have to do is sign up in advance and when I was there they had people helping as young as 9. One or two day events are usually the best bet to get it done (so you don't feel bad leaving and I found the screening for longer term volunteer jobs (salvation army) was a lot harder).

Don't know if this helps but it might give some ideas on what to do for the forty hours.

Congrats to all your children for passing their test. I remember last winter I was volunteeering for the Xmas Wish (just beacause I wanted to). The kids there made sure that got the credit for their hours. There was a scout troop there as while. They were able to get hours credited for high school and scouting awards. Just like Airmiles. They were double dipping.

Are these the things I have to look forward to!:rolleyes:

Some days I feel like I'm still in school when I help DD with her homework! Sometimes I wonder "Did we take this?":confused:

Good Luck to all the Kids!

Scratch
:smooth:

If you know any hockey coaches you can get tons of hours working the clock for any game. We can't get kids anymore because we use them so much they all have their required hours.

Well, when I told Tim that he could volunteer at his high school he was less than enthusiastic. :rolleyes: I hope I can convince him to go for a couple of hours a week until the end of school. Then he'd only have around 10 hours to finish over the summer (this is my dream, anyway!). If only he'd see it that way! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Congrats to all who passes the Literacy test. DS passed last year and although we were sure he would it was a relief to get the news officially. In fact DS didn't know anyone directly who didn't pass. He also got his 40 hours in when he was in Gr. 9. He went back to his Gr. 8 gym teacher and volunteered to help out with the volleyball team. He had his 40 hours in by november of Gr. 9 year so it was wonderful to get it out of the way.

I am amazed when I read in the news that there are still quite a few students who are supposed to graduate in June and still don't have it done. Gr. 12 is a stressful year anyway for these teens, having to get these hours in also is tough.

I don't know if this teacher was exaggerating, but when DS & his Grade 12 class were in the auditorium a while back, the teacher said "Take a look at the stage everyone because half of you won't be there on Graduation Day!". When someone asked why he said "because you haven't done your community service". I know the school is checking up on all the graduates to make sure the 40 hours is done (they called DS down :eek:...but turns out they had misplaced his sheet so he was OK) so hopefully they encouraged/assisted the students missing the hours so that they can graduate.

It's really tough to find stuff though. Our local "seniors home" used to love volunteers before this "community service" HS requirement...now they don't want the volunteers...apparently they found it too much of a hassle....it's a shame. I've heard similar stoies everywhere I turn. Because my 3 kids all go (went) to a Catholic High School, they had to do some Cummunity Service hours anyway but it was part of a religion course and it was only 10 hours...so these kids actually have a minimum of 50 hours of community service done by graduation. My oldest DS (who graduated last year) says he's just thankful he only had the 10 hours to do. It sounds like it's harder to find places to volunteer as time goes by and more students are out there looking. As I said, maybe it's because we live in a small town but I feel sorry for those who work all day & then have to drive their kids to downtown Ottawa (we just got bus service!) somewhere to complete the requirement. Plus there are all the kids who aren't actually even doing it & getting the form signed...& yes it IS happening. Anyway, enough said about this. Don't want to start a debate. AsForrest Gump said "That's all I have to say about that ;) :)

I just spoke to my friend here in Woodstock who's son is Tim's best friend but goes to the Catholic High School (not because he's Catholic but his mom liked the school better) and she said that although her son passed the Literacy, several of his school mates didn't! They are in the academic program too. Tim hasn't said anything about his school mates yet.

I'm hoping that Tim will stop at the school office tonight (as I "begged" him to) and ask for volunteer work even though he can't wait to get home after school. :rolleyes:

Hockeymom,my DS got his 40 hours running the clock and scorekeeping at the local arena here.After he finished his forty hours,they started paying him because they couldnt find anyone else who wanted to get their hours.He ended up making $500(a big chunk of change for a ninth grader)
Congrats to all those who passed the literacy test.Mine does his next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter