Three year cruise

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
I read this article in the Times and it was fascinating and sad. TL;DR a couple sold almost everything they had to take a 3 year cruise around the world and then it got cancelled. They are now stuck in Istanbul trying to get a refund from the cruise company and repatriate back to the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/28/travel/3-year-cruise-life-at-sea.html?searchResultPosition=1

But it made me curious if any of you would do this if you had the means (at your disposal; the idea of selling most of my possessions to fund a 3 year cruise is absurd). It would be a once in a lifetime trip but 3 years is a long time...

No where near that long.
I wouldn't want to be away from family.....and I need quiet time in my own space.
Longest cruise we took was 3 1/2 weeks and I was ready to go home!!

Last edited:
I read the NYTIMES article and was left wondering what future plans they had when the 80K ran out? I mean I get remote working and all but it just doesn’t seem like much at this point in their life. Hope they get their bucks back.
In answer to the initial question …. sounds like too much seasickness for me.
As well doing the math the itinerary averages 2 days per port; not much time to see the sights. I prefer more in-depth visits to places.

Last edited:

It sounds exciting and exotic, but when you break it down... no thanks. It's not a lot of time in each port, I'd miss my family, and honestly, there isn't enough Bonine or Dramamine in the world to keep me from not being seasick for that long! I love to travel, I am crazy-ready for our trip that starts on Friday, but to sell everything and cruise for 3 years? Nope, not me.

I didn't know it, but there are apparently cruises that you can buy cabins on and literally live on (like retirement). Too rich for my blood, but interesting to think about.

I read the NYTIMES article and was left wondering what future plans they had when the 80K ran out? I mean I get remote working and all but it just doesn’t seem like much at this point in their life. Hope they get their bucks back.
In answer to the initial question …. sounds like too much seasickness for me.
As well doing the math the itinerary averages 2 days per port; not much time to see the sights. I prefer more in-depth visits to places.
I thought the same thing. What are they going to do after the cruise was over?

I believe the CEO of a company here in Cincinnati was supposed to be on that cruise. She was planning to work remote, she sold her house and car. She was interviewed by a local newstation and she said that she is still interested in going if they get the ship.

DH & I would definitely do a 3 year cruise, if the stars aligned. As our life currently is, we have too many elderly relatives & too little excess funds to consider it. We definitely wouldn't sell everything to pay for it. That sounds crazy to me.

I believe the CEO of a company here in Cincinnati was supposed to be on that cruise. She was planning to work remote, she sold her house and car. She was interviewed by a local newstation and she said that she is still interested in going if they get the ship.
Interesting. I wonder what she'll do now - wait for them to get a ship or go ahead and buy a new house and car. And what about relatives? or pets? I just think there is a very small subset of people who, money aside, could figure out a way to make this work.

Let's not forget also that not every part will be equidistant away and that some ports will require more days at sea to reach.

I read the NYT article. I remember when this cruise was in the news and thought it sounded kind of fishy. I clicked on the website for it back then and it was really weak with no detailed information about the ship at all.....kind of a problem for a three year cruise. What's sad are the folks who really couldn't afford this and sold everything to take what they thought would be a three year adventure. Sadly, they'll likely never get their money back. And the infuriating part is that three of the players involved seem to be planning new and separate three year cruises on their own. It would seem to me that that shouldn't happen until everyone gets their deposits back. The whole thing has a Fyre Fest at sea feeling to it.

I read the NYT article. I remember when this cruise was in the news and thought it sounded kind of fishy. I clicked on the website for it back then and it was really weak with no detailed information about the ship at all.....kind of a problem for a three year cruise. What's sad are the folks who really couldn't afford this and sold everything to take what they thought would be a three year adventure. Sadly, they'll likely never get their money back. And the infuriating part is that three of the players involved seem to be planning new and separate three year cruises on their own. It would seem to me that that shouldn't happen until everyone gets their deposits back. The whole thing has a Fyre Fest at sea feeling to it.
I feel bad for them too, but what ever happened to the axiom, let the buyer beware? I couldn't fathom handing over many thousands of dollars that represent my entire savings to a small company in another country with such scant information. You are correct, it's very sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter