• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Three Things...Gratitude Thread

This is so hard to narrow down, but I'll do my best.

1. Prime Rib, medium rare
2. Anything chocolate...especially from Sweden
3. Dunkin Donuts dark roast coffee, 2 tsp. raw sugar with half & half

(I really love eggs...I eat them every day, and bread from the bakery...OMG)

Today's Topic (Sat. 10/29) - Places in your town/city

(Feel free to interpret this as your current home, where you grew up, your college town...a mix?)

Last edited:
3 places in my town that I'm grateful for:

📚 The Library - because I love to read, and because they do so many different, cool programs!! It was the first place we met people here because when we were moving from a nearby town, I started taking DS to storytime at this library.

🎄 The Town "Square" - because it gets decorated for the winter holidays with tons of lights and all sorts of wooden cutouts. I used to take DS there to do our Christmas card photos some years.

👣 the walking trail that a neighbor maintains - because nature is good for you!

Food from yesterday:

1. Chocolate, but at the top of that list are Buckeye's, and Reese's peanut butter holiday candy such as the eggs for Easter, and the pumpkins and Christmas trees.
2. Coffee
3. Anything that I make using our home grown vegetables.

Places in town:

1. The 14 mile long bike path that goes right through town. It's just south of our development, so it's quick access and I love using my handcycle with friends and neighbors during the summer.
2. The quiet and peaceful atmosphere in the center of town with all of the little shops and certain events they have throughout the year where the main street is closed down. Almost everyone decorates their homes for Christmas along the main street through town, and it just always has a magical feel to it.
3. A couple of the restaurants in town are among some of my favorites.

Places in your town/city

1. I will start with where I was born and raised. Western MA--about my favorite things about that town. Dr Seuss was born there , his first book "And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street" was written there. There is also a park called Forest Park. When I was young, it was more like a 'zoo', not sure what it's like any longer as I haven't lived there for many years.

2. Also in MA, every year they hold the Big E, like a giant county fair. It was a yearly adventure for me from the time I was growing up, until I left.

3. Current town-The C & O Canal, with all of it's walking trails. We have many many trains going through here. There is even one that takes people to the next town, to a 'roundabout', where the train is literally turned around to head back in the opposite direction. They have a Polar Express run at the holidays, which is pretty cool. Also, the sight and sound of an antique steam locomotive, which was refurbished and put back in service after 64 years not very long ago. It was pretty cool to watch it go by on it's inaugural run.

Today's Topic (Sat. 10/29) - Places in your town/city

(Feel free to interpret this as your current home, where you grew up, your college town...a mix?)
1. From where I was born: Casa Bonita. If you're from Denver, you know. If you have watched South Park, you know. Horrible Mexican food, cliff divers...what more could you ask for? *Last time I was there was 1993

2. From a place I have lived: Camelback Mountain. A great hike, beautiful views. *I have not done the entire thing; only the easy walk parts.

3. From now: St Augustine Castillo de San Marcos. It's an amazing place of history.

Tough one actually...I love our home city but honestly, we don't take advantage of most of the really great features it has during the course of our regular day-to-day. So I'll go with some generalities:

1. The proximity to the mountains. The scenery here is lovely and it's a very short hop to enjoy nature in all it's splendor in Banff National Park.
1667053692150.png
2. The Calgary Zoo, the Science Centre, and one of Canada's largest amusement parks (Calaway Park); always something easily accessible to entertain visitors with.
3. World-class shopping, restaurants and nightlife. Anything you could want is right here and just because we don't take advantage very often, doesn't mean we never will!

1. Gap Clearance Center. We have the only one in the world and if you have the will and time you can find some awesome deals. We have saved so much money going there.

2. Zoo. I don't go as often as I used to now that dd is older, but it is spectacular. They have a beautiful botanical garden too.

3. Findlay Market. Such a cool place for small multi-generational family businesses to sell fresh local food and more. A staple for Cincinnati.

I live in town outside major US city - the city has tons of things I’m grateful for especially when my kids were little - now I won’t go into city for most part - too much crime it’s not safe

I’m grateful for the schools -
I’m grateful for the stores
I’m grateful it’s not like living in the city - more small town feel
I’m grateful for the way people are - having been here most of my life people from my area act more hometown help a neighbor out kind of way - always grateful
I’m grateful we don’t have crime like they do in the city

1. Local trails: we have a lot of “rails to trails” paths around here. They were a lifeline for my immediate family during the early days of the pandemic. I don’t get there nearly enough now that life is busy again, but I am glad they are there when I can.

2. Schools: I sometimes moan and complain about stuff that happens in our schools, but I know that our public schools are actually quite good and reading that other thread makes me realize it even more! We have shortages of subs and bus drivers, but not everyday teachers. And most of the ones we have are good at their jobs. And the kids have the supplies and resources they need. Very, very blessed on that front.

3. Location: we live in the suburbs with fairly easy access to the city, a large airport, and a decent recreation. I’d love to be closer to the ocean, but otherwise like my area.

Okay. I've been on vacation and even though I've been home since Wednesday evening, today's the first day I remembered this thread. So I'm catching up on a whole lot of them here. And I'm also stealing answers on some of these. And I'm sure there are many more answers to all of these. These are just what I came up with as I'm sitting here.

Random Acts of Kindness (10/22)
1. Had someone pay for my meal at Denny's once
2. The Walmart cashier who paid for my items when I was a poor college student and didn't have enough in my account one time
3. My mechanic who gets me in every time I bring my car up. Pretty sure he/they put me ahead of other cars, but I don't have "proof" of that. We've been going to the same mechanic for 30+ years. I never feel like they're just trying to get money out of me.

Articles of Clothing (10/23)
1. All of my children's musical shirts. I love doing these musicals with the kids at my church, and they all remind me of those kids
2. My St. Louis Cardinals shirts. I love my St. Louis Cardinals!
3. My InterVartisy fall conference shirts. They are long-sleeved t-shirts, and just perfect for casual wear in the fall. Wish I had more like them!

3 things you can see right now (10/24)
1. My microbead pillow that I hug at night so my arms have something to do/somewhere to go. Ha!
2. My phone. I may be addicted, but I enjoy playing my games on my phone.
3. My stuffed animals

Animals (10/25)
1. Sloths
2. Pandas
3. Puppies
(I don't have any pets, so I just went general for this one.)

Gifts I've Received (10/26)
1. iTunes gift cards. I LOVE music and I love being able to get songs/albums I enjoy
2. Nintendo I recieved when I was 8 or 9... sounds petty, perhaps, but I had a significant medical issue when I was 10, and it allowed me to take my mind off of things.
3. Balloons I've received when in the hospital. It lets me know people are thinking of me and they brighten up the room.

Strangers (10/27)
1. People I've met on the Color Runs I do, who ask about my sign and walk with me at my snails pace for a bit
2. All the nurses and medical assistants who have helped me over the years
3. All the people from the VA, the rehab center, and from our local EMT/Paramedics who helped my dad in his last days

Food and beverages (10/28)
1. My mom's home cooked dinners she cooks almost every night for my oldest brother and me (we all live together)
2. Fruit
3. Fried chicken

Places in my town/city (10/29)
1. Main Street -- Lots of cute little shops on a cobblestone street, and every Christmas they do a huge event where they have all sorts of characters walking around that you can interact with... Santas from different countries, characters from "A Christmas Carol," carolers from various eras, etc.
2. My house!
3. The high school and elementary school I attended growing up. I can still see them from my back yard and I love that connection that I still feel to the many amazing teachers I had. I don't know if the connection would be that strong if I didn't see the buildings every day.
(Okay. Bonus. Because I just thought of it, but didn't want to actually change any of my other answers since at least one person had already liked it. Ha!: The rec center by my house. I've started swimming on Satudays, and I LOVE it. Indoor pool with lap lanes, a water slide, and a hot tub. I'm getting ready to go right now, actually.)

Last edited:
1. We live in safe community.
2. Most of my neighbors are genuinely kind and willing to help, going beyond surface-level pleasantries.
3. There are great walking trails, parks, and playgrounds in our town and surrounding communities.

As @mumto3girls and @WDWEPCOT said, I'd like to be closer to the ocean. I'm close enough now for a day trip but I dream of someday being close enough for a weekly/daily beach walk!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter