• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Three Things...Gratitude Thread

The dog owners whose dogs are friendly with me(after asking permission to say "hello") who say "Wow-they are usually unsure with strangers"
Same with parents of shy kids
Basically anyone who I can make feel comfortable around me when they may not otherwise feel that way-I cherish those people/animals since I typically have a hard time being in new situations or around people I may not know, so it's nice to make a small connection

Today's 3 Things You're Grateful For Topic (Thur. 10/27) - Strangers

1 Amen to Lynn's words about our Quacker Family! So grateful God connected us together.
2 Regular laundromat and Ralph's workers who are so kind and look out for my Dad.
3 All who bring kind joy to another in however a tiny way as called. Thank you!

I have two stranger stories that happened on the same day. It was my first day at Penn State’s main campus as a student after spending two years at a satellite campus.

1. My first class I show up early and there is a sign on the door saying the class had been moved to a different building. I had no idea where that building was. Another student showed up who also did not know where to go. Finally, this big guy arrives, asks us if we knew where the other building was and then said not to worry he did and he’d show us. Turned out to be star linebacker Phil Yeboah-Kodie. We didn’t exactly become friends but I can tell you he was an all around class act who always was prepared for that class and who helped this small town kid.

2. I majored in Actuarial Science. At the time it was a small major I think less than 30 of us graduated with that degree the year I graduated and there were only three courses taught as actuarial courses. My advisor at the satellite campus suggested I wait a semester to take the first of three courses so that I could get acclimated to the big campus. I would then take the 3 big courses spring-fall-spring semesters of my Junior and Senior years. So anyway, that same first day at the main campus I get to my second classroom early in case it too was moved and there was one girl already there. She struck up a conversation and asked me what my major was. She was a senior in actuarial science and she just asked if I was registered for course one. I told her my plan and she told me that those courses were only offered fall-spring-fall and if I didn’t take it that semester I’d essentially lose a year. I called to add the course that afternoon but it was filled and I had to go see the professor and get him to open it back up for me. If it hadn’t been for that girl I wouldn’t have realized that my advisors plan was no good until it was too late and I really don’t know what I would have done.

3. This story is from several years later and I won’t get political but one morning I was driving to work and heard on the radio that a former President was in town that afternoon campaigning for his party’s then-current nominee. I wanted to see him so I went to the college where he was speaking but found out that you had to have advance tickets. A lady in line told me I could go with her. It was standing room only and she kept saying “stay with me” as she worked her way to the front. By the end of the day I had shaken hands with this former President. Not bad for a day that started with a routine drive to the office.

The longtime bakers, deli workers, and cashiers at our local Kroger's grocery store, some of them I know by name, and some I don't, but they're all so polite and kind.

Anyone who enjoys riding side by sides and ATV's. It can be a holiday weekend and if your machine breaks down or gets a flat tire strangers will do everything they can to help repair it, to offering spare parts, or temporary fixes so that everyone makes it back safely to the cabins or campgrounds. Thankfully we've never needed help yet out on the trails, but have seen this happen numerous times, and helped a few riders when we could.

Everyone within the spinal cord injury community. Whether it's someone that I don't know that has reached out to me at past Ability Expo's, or on social media, to any of my occupational therapy patients that I've helped along their own journey.

Got a flat tire about a year ago, it was 100 degrees out and I was able to get to a gas station but AAA was a 2 hour wait. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to get that particular air pump to work. This is precisely when I discovered that cars don't have spares any more. A guy pulled up and was putting air in his tires and I squeaked, "Can I please just see what you are doing? My car is flat, I can't work this machine & AAA has an awful wait so I was thinking maybe I could get home if I can figure out how to fill it." This man was a saint and filled it for me, over filled actually and told me to go straight home and if I stay around 50 I should be ok. I was ok and very blessed he crossed my path.

At the beginning of quarantine I thought I was stopping by our PA house and it hit the fan. DS came home from Spring break with Type A Flu, DH wasn't with me and DD totaled our car. We have an old '02 clunker that had 2 flats and of course, the regular shop was closed. I called a shop in desperation and the guys were so kind, they changed my tire for me letting me stay in the car because I was so high risk and continued to accommodate me throughout the mess. This was March 20 so we knew nothing. I was again very blessed.

I would say that most of the people on here were very kind during what was a horrible and scary time for me, so, like you guys too :thanks:

Strangers:

• There is a woman who is a cashier at our local ACME (grocery store). According to her she has been there forever. She is kind to every single person she comes across and she is always upbeat and positive. I swear she knows almost everyone from the neighborhood. I'll wait in her line even if it's extra long just because it's such a nice experience and I'm actually a little disappointed when she isn't there when I'm doing my grocery shopping.
  • I did door dash a lot during the pandemic for extra cash. There is a local restaurant where every single hostess is on top of things, organized, and the orders are always ready. Those ladies are amazing and make it such a smooth experience. They keep things on track in an incredible way because they are super busy and it is a pleasure to interact with them.
  • My husband was a stranger when I met him in a bar about a decade ago. I'm so glad I was open to a conversation. My life is so much better for so many reasons because he struck up that conversation.

Foods & Beverages:

1) chocolate, of course! - very specifically, those chocolate snowball cakes with the brilliant pink coconut on them - They were my "sick treat" as a kid, and I still occasionally buy them for myself when I've been having a hard time.

2) cheese - because it makes almost every recipe better :rotfl:

3) coffee!!! - for so many reasons: It's a morning ritual, an afternoon pick-me-up, a plan to meet up with friends, a chance to relive memories by using souvenir mugs, and a connection to my mom, who loved coffee and always had a pot on when anyone dropped by.

1. :worship: Thanking God for simply having food...there’s been so much talk in the news about inflation, food insecurity and the strain on local food banks. It’s humbling and I feel like I need to do something TODAY to help and show my gratitude.
2. Coffee. Granted, I’m probably a caffeine addict and I’d rather have a bad cup than none at all, but a perfect cup of my favourite grind is the elixir of life itself! :goodvibes
3. Halloween molasses kisses. I might be the only person on earth that actually loves them, but they are a unique seasonal treat I look forward to every year.

Today's Topic--Food and Beverages

PollyannaMom My #1 is the same as yours

1. Hostess Snowballs. I have loved them since I was a kid. I love that they change the color of the coconut on top. I bought 2 of the 2 packs the other day at Walmart. I keep them for when I am having a 'down day', and then eat one. Always works! And almost anything chocolate will work. If I had to pick a favorite chocolate bar,,it would have to be a good old fashioned Chunky bar
2. Turkey Hill chocolate marshmallow ice cream. I have to stop myself at one serving, as I could just sit there with the container and empty it!
2. Beverage--for me there's nothing better than a Classic Coke or a Barq's Rootbeer. I am not a coffee, tea, or alcohol person!

Choc
Coffee
Steak
Coke
Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
Cheese

I can give up a lot and have to because of an auto immune condition that food & drink directly impacts it -with that being said a few items on my list are on the DO NOT eat and I’m like whatever because I will NOT give up my coffee ( I drink choc coffee) or soda - I do limit myself on soda - i love my steak - could eat it every day - sorry to all people who don’t eat meat I respect your position I just don’t share it
Cheese - never enough - even if it causes a migraine I’ll have some and hope for the best !! I just won’t have a lot of that cheese ! I know which ones do that to me
I’m grateful to have food - I have plenty - my DD always wonder why I stock so much food - easy - we never had it when I was growing up - church often brought us food - we always had very little to none - hence why I always have tons in my house - it’s a reaction from my childhood I know it but I can’t stop it - you won’t go hungry at my house !!
Happy Chocolate Day - tear into your Halloween candy !! You know you bought too much !! Enjoy ❤️

In honor of National Chocolate Day:

Today's Topic - Foods & Beverages
Sorry I missed yesterday - it was a busy day

I have many things I can list (pizza), but I’m going to stick with chocolate, in honor of the day :goodvibes

Nonpareils (large ones, not the baby tiny ones) - I buy a pound about once every 2 months and it’s my Sunday night treat after dinner. I put some in a small Dixie cup and that’s all I get for the week 🙂

m&ms - this chocolate was my first chocolate love. The first DQ Blizzard I got, when I was a kid, was an m&m blizzard - I remember it like yesterday (I have no idea why I remember it - it must have been a pretty awesome experience at the time - LOL!)

Chocolate Bark - I use this a lot at Christmas time on different holiday treats. My peanut butter balls and Oreos balls wouldn’t be the same without it - speaking of which, I better put this on my next grocery list.

AB42F975-2F7D-4F93-8CB4-544A375F14D8.png

In honor of National Chocolate Day:

Today's Topic - Foods & Beverages

1. Tillamook Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Simply perfect.

2. Good and Gather Mexican Street Corn trail mix. very tasty; tied with their Tex Mex trail mix, caramel macchiato trail mix, and dark chocolate espresso bean trail mix. (Yes, I do like trail mixes, can you tell?)

3. Luxardo cherries. best cherries for cocktails, that I've found.

1. Carbs. Pasta, rice, bread oh how I love thee.

2. Eggs. So many ways to prepare them and versatile for any meal.

3. Berries. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries good for you and wonderful sweet treat! (although I am odd and love the tart blueberries)

Food I'm grateful for . . .
1. Cookies. I rarely meet a cookie that I don't like. 🍪
2. Coconut cake. I am blessed that my husband and kids bake me a homemade coconut cake each birthday. Delicious and a special tradition.
3. A particular shop in Cape Cod that makes a divine cup of hot chocolate as well as dark chocolate almond bark.

Apparently I have a sweet tooth!

Food:

1. Chocolate—particularly Sarris milk chocolate (local to me).

2. Berries: especially black raspberries but also blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries and local strawberries. Yum.

3. Appetizers: love these in almost all forms—Buffalo chicken dip, nachos, peel & eat shrimp, cheese and crackers, sliced pepperoni, wings, artichoke dip—I could go on and on.

Being back in a city area I'm thrilled to be enjoying the expert chefs, bakers and such from different regions of the world.

German chocolate at real bakeries, Italian ricotta creams at those bakeries, can't have this stuff often, but birthdays and such are amazing.

Seafood that was caught the day I get it from the store, outstanding regardless of sort of restaurant although sushi is on a whole other level and Oysters that may be selected by point of origin. At first I thought the idea was silly but it is really a thing, they really do taste differently.

All the amazing foods from different ethnicities made by skilled experts from that place, too many to name but YAY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter