Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Elementary: Had several that helped me build a good foundation.

HS: One standout my HS French teacher who helped me realize my potential.

College: Two professors who helped me understand difficult material in an easy way. And some clinical instructors who helped make it fun.

Coaching: I saw a plaque the other day related to coaching. I was thinking of picking up two to send to two of DS’s old coaches because it was true. I think I still might. DS was fortunate to have these two men in his life who not only taught him to play the game, but instilled in him a sense of self-discipline, sportsmanship, leadership, service, and how to be a respectable person, among other things, all of which are serving him well now in his adult life.

1666013603322.jpeg

(Just adding that, it wasn’t as if we didn’t also teach these things to DS, too, but somehow it was different coming from a coach; it was something DS chose to do despite the difficulty and could’ve walked away from at any time, etc.)

Good thread, @PollyannaMom! I try to be cognizant every day of my blessings in life. :sunny:

What a great thread idea, PollyannaMom:thanks:my friend for starting it!

Teachers/coaches

Jesus, comes to mind first and foremost as my greatest Teacher for all eternity!

Human wise, like you, my friend Lynn, I also liked my 3rd grade teacher.

God has blessed me with the privilege of learning from and with so many of His precious kids.

Good morning! Today's topic is little things that make you feel good. - It was inspired by the Chewy commercial I saw this morning, where the dog is excited about "the peanut butter box".

Little Things:
1. cute commercial that made me laugh
2. walking outside in the autumn colors
3. that first cup of coffee in the morning

There are SO MANY little things in daily life that bring comfort and pleasure; it’s humbling to realize how much I take for granted. :o

1. My morning coffee - the first one is the best of the day and I actually look forward to getting out of bed for it.
2. Being able to still see the moon in the sky at late morning, even when it’s fully light and the sky is blazing blue. It happens this time of year; I’m not sure what you call this meteorological phenomenon but it always captivated me.
3. Pouring love into a baking/cooking project and having it turn out well. It’s DS’s birthday today and I’m excited for him to see his cake.

Little Things:

1. A free cozy evening on the couch with DH, the fire on and something good to watch on the DVR.
2. A clean house, nicely decorated for whatever season it may be.
3. All my kids home at the same time—hasn’t happened since late July, but Thanksgiving is coming.

I'm answering two at once here, because Monday's topic is one I LOVE to talk about!

Monday -- Teachers, Coaches, Etc.
1. College English professor -- Had to talk to him after class because I was a junior taking a senior level course (at the suggestion of my advisor) and I technically didn't meet the prerequisites for that reason. I'd had him before, and this class was team taught by him and another professor. He said, "Allison, I know you. you'll be fine." Then he turned to the other professor and said, "Have you ever met Allison? I've had her in class before, and she's a good writer." I just stood there in absolute shock. Long story short, that one statement made me pursue writing. I found a website to post a story I'd written not long before that. Through that website, I met one of my best friends, plus a lot of other amazing people and discovered a passion for writing I never knew was in me. I don't write nearly as much as I used to, but still enjoy it. All from one simple statement.

2. 9th grade science teacher -- He made me feel comfortable when I came into a large (2000+ students) high school as a tiny 4'8" freshman who immediately felt intimated. He was also the FCA sponsor, and when I inquired, he asked if I was going to join. I told him I wasn't an athlete. He said, "Well, here, we like to call it Fellowship of Christian Anybodies." He was just able to connect with so many students, and was like a second dad to me that year. I've kept in touch with him ever since, and when I had hip replacement at 29 (due to hip problems earlier in my life... PM me if you're curious, because I love sharing my story and advocating) we met for lunch and he prayed over me. We still keep in touch and we're actually going to try to meet up again for lunch some time soon.

3. My high school journalism teacher/yearbook advisor who had much more of a mentor relationship than teacher (in a good way). He had us write in a journal each week and he'd write back, and we could go far beyond journalism/year book in our journals and he'd just help us navigate any problems we had. Plus, he saw my talent for writing, even if I hadn't fully realized it yet (see #1).

Tuesday -- The Little Things
1. MUSIC! Maybe that's not a little thing, so I may have to repeat this answer for another topic, but I love, love, LOVE singing. My mom played piano for our church when she was pregnant with me and during my early years, so I've heard the old hymns in four part harmony literally from the womb. I credit this with my innate ability to harmonize on most "hymn-like" songs, often on the first listen.

2. Dove dark chocolates. I have a bag at each of my two offices, my "remote" office, and my bedroom, so I'm never far away from it's sweet, smooth goodness. (A bit over the top? Nah.)

3. Sloths. They are my favorite animal. It used to be the panda. I like to joke that it just took the sloth about 30 years to slowly climb to the top of my favorite animal list. :D

I'm going to try to jump in - the little things:

1. Foaming hand soap - I just love it!
2. Our under and over cabinet lights - I turn them on each time I'm in the kitchen just because I like the way they make the room look!
3. Calls from my kids just to ask a simple question - today my oldest DD called to ask a question about opening a new savings account. We were probably on the phone for about 5 minutes, but I love those kind of calls!

So many ‘little things’ I’m grateful for.

1. My newer rescue dog today trusted me enough to let me cut his nails. He was scared, and so was I, sort of, but we managed to get it done - together. (And with lots of cheese!)

2. Today was an absolutely beautiful fall day outside with warmth and sunshine, falling leaves, lots of squirrels collecting their stashes, and tons of color. I got to sit outside for a while despite being sick, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

3. Celebrating my kids’ birthday, also, and thinking how fortunate I’ve been to be their mother. :love2:

Little Things:
1. Rainy days when I have nothing to do but sit in my armchair facing the window and read!
2. Non Park days in Disney World where we can sleep in, enjoy the resort and meander about with no time constraints.
3. When Autumn leaves begin to fall and the colorama of the midwest begins

(Today's topic was inspired by how many of us mentioned the fall colors for one of our "little things".)

Red things I'm thankful for:

❤️ A warm & cozy red sweater I have

❤️ My pet's red harness/leash - because she makes me get out in nature with her almost every day

❤️ Pomegranates - which I discovered fairly late, but which are now one of my favorite fruits

RED
My favorite color!!!!

I love my…..

The Rubies (my favorite gem/stone) that DH has bought me throughout the years

My fake red hair that I’ve had for 27 years

My red Blackhawks jerseys - reminds me of fun family moments when the four of us went to Blackhawks games.

Red Adirondack chairs in our back yard, to sit and relax in the sun or by the fire pit.

Fresh (reddish) tomatoes from our garden. Just picked the last of the season a few days ago, so good.

Coke can or bottle. Although I don’t drink soda very often, once in a while I’ll enjoy a cold Coke (or Coke Zero) as a guilty pleasure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter