Thinking of maybe possibly could add points

I guess what makes me a little nervous is I don’t mine making a reservation for 6 nights at the poly and then waiting until the 7 months to add a 7 th problem is just so there’s rooms available
Like this there was very very slim pickins anywhere at 7 months

I guess what makes me a little nervous is I don’t mine making a reservation for 6 nights at the poly and then waiting until the 7 months to add a 7 th problem is just so there’s rooms available
Like this there was very very slim pickins anywhere at 7 months

Buying points at a resort you don’t want to stay at when you know there is one you do makes little sense.

Those that buy points to use as SAP, don’t have a preference at all or don’t mind split stays either.

It sounds like for you, Poly is the best option in the same UY so you can book your entire trip at 11 months and if you ever decide you want to stay elsewhere you can based on availability.

Buying points at a resort you don’t want to stay at when you know there is one you do makes little sense.

Those that buy points to use as SAP, don’t have a preference at all or don’t mind split stays either.

It sounds like for you, Poly is the best option in the same UY so you can book your entire trip at 11 months and if you ever decide you want to stay elsewhere you can based on availability.
I agree in this situation the added stress of not getting that last night is not worth the extra cost of having Poly with an August use year than a different resort.

Right now SAP do work pretty well for Poly. Once the new tower who knows what will happen.
For one the current studios are nicer with a split bathroom and according to the pictures on dvcnews.com it is a single bathroom.

1707367258175.jpeg

The second thing if it is part of the same association it may turn into VGF with new families buying in for studios and instead of booking the studios at the new section (BPK/Poly Tower) they book the studios that have the two showers taking the room you like.

If it were me, when I ran out of points with the way you are doing it, I'd skip Disney for a year and do something else. That's going to work out to once every five years you... go to Mexico, Hawaii, Washington DC, the Grand Canyon, Paris, take a cruise, whatever.

I agree. Especially since the ~20 extra points you might need once in a while is within the number of one-time-use points you can rent, if needed (although those cannot be used at 7+ months out, you should be able to use them to extend an existing home resort 6-night reservation at 7 months + 6 nights out).

If you find that you need to rent one-time-use points more than once in 5 years, it might be an indication you need another small contract.

When you rent points can you reserve from the 11 month mark or is it 7?

Same booking rules apply to rentals as apply to member reservations. Member points can be used to book 11 months prior to arrival if home resort points are used. Otherwise it's 7 months or less prior to arrival. One Time Use Points can be used to book a reservation with a check in date 7 months or less away

Apparently I am not smart enough to tag you since it has an @ in you name so I clicked reply.

@CarolMN gave the correct answer of at 7 months but I just wanted to add on.

The OTUP are a final transaction and they are not refundable.
You must use them in the use year that you purchased them as you can not bank them or purchase them for 2025 and then borrow them to 2024 for example.

Yes. We were foolish and bought SSR. Not really knowing all the details. Yeah, dumb dumb dumb. We have been fairly fortunate with being able to stay at other resorts, but it would have been soooooo much easier if we had know BLT was opening so soon, we would have bought all our points there.

Because of two resorts, at the moment we have 10 days at a studio at BLT and have to wait and hope at 7 months to switch. We really wanted a one bedroom for 12 days, but booked the studio so we had somewhere to stay. If we booked the 1 bedroom to start with, we'd only have 5 days booked.

Yes. We were foolish and bought SSR. Not really knowing all the details. Yeah, dumb dumb dumb. We have been fairly fortunate with being able to stay at other resorts, but it would have been soooooo much easier if we had know BLT was opening so soon, we would have bought all our points there.

Because of two resorts, at the moment we have 10 days at a studio at BLT and have to wait and hope at 7 months to switch. We really wanted a one bedroom for 12 days, but booked the studio so we had somewhere to stay. If we booked the 1 bedroom to start with, we'd only have 5 days booked.
Given the price of BLT resale right now…. might not be a bad idea to flip contracts if BLT is where you want to stay….

Apparently I am not smart enough to tag you since it has an @ in you name so I clicked reply.

@CarolMN gave the correct answer of at 7 months but I just wanted to add on.

The OTUP are a final transaction and they are not refundable.
You must use them in the use year that you purchased them as you can not bank them or purchase them for 2025 and then borrow them to 2024 for example.

ha ha, sorry for the confusion with the '@' - thank you to you and @CarolMN :)

Given the price of BLT resale right now…. might not be a bad idea to flip contracts if BLT is where you want to stay….
Curious, what prices are you seeing.

i Doubt we would do anything. For us, we might have one more trip. But then it goes to the kids to use.

Curious, what prices are you seeing.

i Doubt we would do anything. For us, we might have one more trip. But then it goes to the kids to use.
That’s a different conversation then, but right now BLT prices are pretty low and many anticipate that it will appreciate after an upcoming refurbishment given its advantages of location, room size and some of the lowest dues at WDW. It also has 6 additional years on the contract vs SSR.

What resort do your children prefer?

That’s a different conversation then, but right now BLT prices are pretty low and many anticipate that it will appreciate after an upcoming refurbishment given its advantages of location, room size and some of the lowest dues at WDW. It also has 6 additional years on the contract vs SSR.

What resort do your children prefer?
Don't know, they are getting free points, so I'm not concerned. LOL

But probably NOT SSR. Once the points get handed to them, they can do what they want.

ETA....I just spent 5 mins looking at one spot to buy and sell. Saw a semi strip BLT contract 200 point $139. Selling SSR at $106 a point. So 6 grand difference plus costs. I'd rather take my chances with a maybe iffy last trip and then leave it to the kids with whatever they want to do. DD tends to drive, so SSR wouldn't be as much of an issue.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Don't know, they are getting free points, so I'm not concerned. LOL

But probably NOT SSR. Once the points get handed to them, they can do what they want.

ETA....I just spent 5 mins looking at one spot to buy and sell. Saw a semi strip BLT contract 200 point $139. Selling SSR at $106 a point. So 6 grand difference plus costs. I'd rather take my chances with a maybe iffy last trip and then leave it to the kids with whatever they want to do. DD tends to drive, so SSR wouldn't be as much of an issue.

But thanks for the suggestion.
They aren’t really “free points” unless you plan to pay the dues. And either way the cost of dues difference will add up over time as BLT doesn’t have to pay for an internal bus loop.

Also, I’m not sure where you looked, but many people are getting full point BLT contracts for $120ish pp.

Either way, it’s definitely it’s an upgrade and so there is a cost involved and it may not be worth it to you.

They aren’t really “free points” unless you plan to pay the dues. And either way the cost of dues difference will add up over time as BLT doesn’t have to pay for an internal bus loop.

Also, I’m not sure where you looked, but many people are getting full point BLT contracts for $120ish pp.

Either way, it’s definitely it’s an upgrade and so there is a cost involved and it may not be worth it to you.
I really didn't look for than a few mins at one spot.

Yeah, points aren't free, but for say 3 grand a year in dues, they can stay at BLT/SSR roughly a week at a 2 bedroom. I don't think they will complain.

Oh by the way....the "kids" are in their 40s. Not talking about a teenager working part time at walmart paying for dues.

Last edited:
Buy more points at Poly, same use year.
If you love a resort, own there and you can never go wrong, everything is else just a bonus.
If you ever rent, poly points can be rented at a premium for the 11-7 advantage.
Poly has a good expiration date for retaining some value if you sold at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter