Thinking of maybe possibly could add points

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
We’re thinking of adding a very very small amount of points. Just enough to get a weeks stay at our poly home. Right now we still are running on points that we can bank every year.
So we have a 100 points plus as of now we have 57 points to bank. Usually we need 120. But not much longer and we’ll have used all the banked banks

So now for the questions
We have an Aug UY. Does it make sense to get another aug contract or have 2 different UY just for variety
Any benefits to just getting the points at the poly or getting another home resort give us more options
Any other options with only needing such few points.
Any advice or tips woukd becgreat
Thanks

I have August use year at VGF and VGC. Most people will tell you to not mix use years and I generally agree. If you have tons of points and totally different use patterns based on the resort, a different use year might make sense. In your case, I don't think it would make sense at all since you are trying to amass enough points for a consecutive stay.

for our trips I book the poly exactly 11 months out. Using our 100 points and the banked points
A few times we changed resorts that were less points so those years we got some extra points to bank
We always go the end of jan
So thanks
We’ll look for an Aug UY at the poly
We do have direct contact so we akready get the perks from that

There are competing opinions (just like with everything in this world) about whether there may be a devaluation of Poly with the upcoming addition. If you can wait, it might be worthwhile to see what happens once the direct points go up. We got in on the VGF sale this summer and it was nice to have good timing for once.

Thanks for the info. Right now were still doing ok with using banked points. For next yr we have our 100 contract and 57 points that I can bank. But after booking for next yr we’ll probably use 25 of those 57 which will give us 34 points to bank for 2026 trip I’ll for sure watch when the poly tower gets done

My opinion would be buy a small SAP contract in August use year. I do not foresee Poly studios selling out or being highly competitive at the 7 month mark. I would not add a poly resale contract currently because the market is over valuing a statement made at the owners meeting. However, that’s just my 2 cents

Next question exactly what is SAP. I know it stands for sleep around points but what/how do you use them

SAP is usually Saratoga springs points. However, it’s any points you can get a really good deal on without the intention on using them at the 11 month home resort window. Basically if you do not plan to use the points at the home resort, they are SAP

Because you are going for these points to add alone side another contract to the current home points contract, to use for priority bookings. Avoid the transferring and new membership. Same UY. Same deeding. Same membership. We ended up with this type situation for VDH add on. Have two contracts purchased five months apart. Same UY. Same membership.

If you're banking, you already have too many IMO. If Covid taught us anything, it's always borrow.

My opinion would be buy a small SAP contract in August use year. I do not foresee Poly studios selling out or being highly competitive at the 7 month mark. I would not add a poly resale contract currently because the market is over valuing a statement made at the owners meeting. However, that’s just my 2 cents
I would agree with you normally but the OP wants to book 11 months out for the Poly.

With SAP you have to use them at 7 months or fewer (Unless using them at the resort you purchased which takes away the Sleep around function :) )

I would go with Poly to maintain 11 month if booking that far in advanced is required. I think only MLK weekend is likely to sell out in January but I could be wrong.
I certainly agree with you @Hubalorian that they are overpriced.
You may want to wait as @Rex1993 suggested as they could do like VGF although probably not in OP timeline.
Obviously OP Loves the Poly so if OP waited it out and the add on was direct OP would have more points to try at VDH, RIV and CFW.

I'm not sure how small OP was wanting. 24 One Time Use Points might work every year but those also can only be used at 7 months...

Keep your Aug UY unless you plan to use the new contract for a different trip. I would also look for Poly because you can’t combine a different home resort with your current points until 7 months…unless you like the idea of having a split stay from the start.

If you're banking, you already have too many IMO. If Covid taught us anything, it's always borrow.

I agree. Especially since the ~20 extra points you might need once in a while is within the number of one-time-use points you can rent, if needed (although those cannot be used at 7+ months out, you should be able to use them to extend an existing home resort 6-night reservation at 7 months + 6 nights out).

If you find that you need to rent one-time-use points more than once in 5 years, it might be an indication you need another small contract.

If you find that you need to rent one-time-use points more than once in 5 years, it might be an indication you need another small contract.
I would love to do that but 25 pointers are hard to find with my use year.

If you are able to find one the points are stripped.

I guess I could buy them direct and it would be the cheaper option (for a little while until dues creap up) and I would have full control of my points it's just that I can't bring myself to paying $205 a point for SSR or $210 for AKL

I would love to do that but 25 pointers are hard to find with my use year.

If you are able to find one the points are stripped.

I guess I could buy them direct and it would be the cheaper option (for a little while until dues creap up) and I would have full control of my points it's just that I can't bring myself to paying $205 a point for SSR or $210 for AKL

For a 2066 contract, I honestly don't care if the points are stripped if I can get it for cheaper. Does it really matter if you get 42 years, or 41? I'd care a lot more if it was a 2042 resort but would still but a stripped contract if the deal was reasonable (most 2042 resort prices are too high for my taste).

For a 2066 contract, I honestly don't care if the points are stripped if I can get it for cheaper. Does it really matter if you get 42 years, or 41? I'd care a lot more if it was a 2042 resort but would still but a stripped contract if the deal was reasonable (most 2042 resort prices are too high for my taste).
No but when I'm buying the One Time Use Points I need them now!!! :) otherwise no it certainly doesn't matter.

one decision if we do buy another contract well make sure its an Aug UY at the poly
were really not interested in doing split stays

buying OTP is a great option we did that once however in order to get 7 nights wed need 25 points and isnt the limit 24 do they ever make an exception or as a last resort buy the 24 points and borrow 1
Im still confused on the SAP
I understand you cant use them until the 7 month mark
can I buy/rent --how does that even work --before the 7 month mark
if at 7 months we decide to try another resort what happens to the SAP if the new resort is fewer points do those get used first and then I can bank the rest

so since I can book soon
in order t o save on points I would
book 6 nights at the poly in hopes of at 7 months add a night with either OTU or SAP or switching to a lower price resort

we still have points we can bank for the next 2 years so we wont really have any issues until 2027 trip sorry about all the questions on the SAP points like I said Ive heqard of them but really not sure how they work

Basically, SAP are points someone buys (a contract they own, not one-time points like a transfer from another member or OTUP from DVC) that they plan to use mostly or always at the 7-month mark to stay at a different resort every time. If you liked split stays, that would work.

But since you really just want to stay longer at Poly each year, you should just look for a Poly contract with an August UY, so that you can use those points easily along with your original points.

one decision if we do buy another contract well make sure its an Aug UY at the poly
were really not interested in doing split stays

buying OTP is a great option we did that once however in order to get 7 nights wed need 25 points and isnt the limit 24 do they ever make an exception or as a last resort buy the 24 points and borrow 1
I understand you cant use them until the 7 month mark
can I buy/rent --how does that even work --before the 7 month mark
if at 7 months we decide to try another resort what happens to the SAP if the new resort is fewer points do those get used first and then I can bank the rest

so since I can book soon
in order t o save on points I would
book 6 nights at the poly in hopes of at 7 months add a night with either OTU or SAP or switching to a lower price resort

we still have points we can bank for the next 2 years so we wont really have any issues until 2027 trip sorry about all the questions on the SAP points like I said Ive heqard of them but really not sure how they work
No exception to OTUP it is up to 24 at the current price at that time ($20 right now)
You would need to borrow 1 point and buy 24 OTUP but you could not do that until 7 months.
As one person stated you could book the first 6 nights at 11 months and then call in at the 7 month mark to add the other day.

SAP are cheap points that you purchase without really having the intent at staying at said resort.
SSR is the most common but VGF became very attractive when they were doing the direct sale as the dues are low.

The SAP has its own 11 month window for the resort and use year.
If you choose to purchase a small contract for SAP if it is in your August use year you would be able to combine them at the 7 month window to make a reservation.

The SAP could then be used to book day 7 of your trip at 7 months out by calling or you could book the SAP resort at the 11 month window and modify it on the day of the 7 month window to the Poly.

The SAP also have to be banked by the 8 month window if you purchased Aug it would be the same date, March 31st, if you didn't need that many points. If you need more you can also borrow them just like the Poly points you currently own. And of course the dreaded part about points you own, you would have to pay dues on the SAP.

If you decide to make the reservation at 7 months out the website will show you what contracts are available to you to use and you would select which one to use first, second etc.

The system will then automatically use any banked or borrowed points first even if that contract was selected last.
It will then use the points in the order you selected.

Also remember each resort has its own 7-11 month booking window for the points you own there.

You may own 25 points at Poly, 25 at Beach Club for a total of 50 points. There are no exceptions to the advantage you can only use the Poly points for the advantage there and the Beach Club for the advantage there. You can not combine points until 7 months out and then it is up for grabs by anyone.

Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter