• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of going (1st time in JULY) Or am I crazy!!

bunnymkc

<font color=FF99FF>Believes in the Tooth Fairy, th
Our family usually goes in Dec, & Feb & Sept sometimes May BUT NEVER IN THE SUMMER!! This coming July 02 will be our DS & DDIL'S 10th anniversay and they suggested we take a trip in JULY..Wondering how many of you go in the summer months and what you think of going at that time? We will have 2 little ones with us (7 & 3 1/2 BOYS) with us and I know that going early to the parks and coming back to the pool to swim and relax is the way to go but any other ideas and tips you summer goer's have would be greatly requested..also what about availibility at VB during that time maybe going there would be better or combine either DW with a couple of days at Vero? HELP I AM GOING CRAZY THINKING ABOUT GOING IN THE SUMMER!!TIA Marianne :earsgirl: :wave: PS we are leaving in 13 days and I can't think straight right now only about our up coming Sept 21st trip with our best friends for OUR anniversary staying at BWV....

I usually go in the summer and haven't found there to be too many problems BUT it cann't be over stressed how important it is to make sure you , and particularly the kids, drink PLENTY of fluids. Water and salt replacement fluids like Powerade and Gatorade are best. If possible keep caffine drinks like coke and Pepsi to a minimum ( but they are better than nothing). I try and time indoor shows and rides for the hottest part of the day, eating in an airconditioned restaurant is another way to take the sting out of the hottest part of the day. IMHO it is probably easier to keep cool at Vero ( using the pool and sea) than it is at WDW but make sure you use PLENTY of suncream at both.

There are some useful tips and warnings on the following thread http://www.wdwinfo.com/bank/hotweather.htm

and some counter measures here http://www.wdwinfo.com/bank/keepcool.htm

The best time to go is the end of august because schools in the south are open then. Lines= none.

We just returned in late August and as previously stated the crowds were down and the heat was not a real factor because we have been conditioned on when and where to be at the right time of the day.

Plan on getting to the parks early and take a 2 - 3 hour breakback at the resort. Hit the pool, relax and regain your strength for the long evenings that can pop up. If your planning on an "E" night there is little reason to return to MK until 6 or 7pm at the earliest. No one says you have to be on the go from sun rise to 12 midnight. The parks are not going anywhere and there is so much more to see and do when everyone including the adults in the group are refreshed and happy.

Enjoy your July at WDW.

Lyndon

I really think it depends on your heat tolearance. for some it is no big deal, for others it is. Several times we were down in end of July and it was so muggy my kids wouldn't even go to the park, they just stayed in the pool (leaving us with a several unused days on our PH's). It is not fun to stand in line with the heat. But you will enjoy the pools!

I agree that it depends on what your tolerance for the heat is. We just went during the last week in August, for the first time in the HOT weather. We'll never do it again. We loved VWL and really had a nice, leisurely trip. Fortunately, we've been to WDW so many times that we didn't need to spend much time in the parks. However, we each got APs and really could have gotten a 4 day park hopper. One afternoon we returned to the resort about 5 P, and I couldn't wait to go in the pool to cool off. The water was HOT!!! There was nothing refreshing about it. So, we're going to stick to the cooler months.
PS, perhaps it's less crowded than the summer, but MK was especially crowded, with lines over 30 minutes on some days. Fast pass was great!
Can't say enough wonderful things about VWL, however, and now that we've experienced a 1 bedroom (for the two of us) it's going to be tough staying in anything smaller. We did 3 nights at AKL at the end and missed all the room we had.

We always go during the summer due to kids in school and I teach so if we want to have an extended stay that's really our only choice. We don't find the heat too much different than at home, hot, humid and yucky. We always return to the resort for a cool off break. We were at OKW, the Poly and VWL this July and while the OKW pools were refreshing the pools at the other 2 were too warm to help. The good thing about having the villa is there's plenty of room (and 2 TV's) so even spending a few hours in the room at mid day was comfortable for us. When eating in the parks we always use in door seating , even at counter service. We bring our own water jug with us. We freeze some water in it at night and then add a litttle water before we head off. That ice block keeps refills cool for quite a long time. We also tour with our Mister Fan and of course sunscreen and hats/visors. We also take advantage of E-nights to do the MK. On those nights we would plan a nice dinner around 6-7 then head to the MK no sooner than 8:30-9:00. If the kids can nap at mid day then take advantage of the late hours it's the best time to tour during the summer. It's still just as humid but the sun isn't beating on you.

We always go at spring break and in the summer, since I am a teacher, a pre-menopausal teacher, so I am always HOT! So the kids and I hung out at the pool from 1:00 till 5 everyday, and we were all fine:) I agree with the previous posts, plan to stay cool in the afternoon hours by eating in air conditioned restaurants, napping in your room, and going in the pool. You will be much happier if you plan for that, and I guarantee that your kids will, too. the weather is no hotter in Florida than it is where you live, but the humidity is a killer, and makes the weather seem much warmer than it is. You just need to take things slower than you do in the cooler months. With your kids entering school you won't really have much choice on the calendar if you care about their education, but with a few changes in how you do things, you will still have a wonderful time.:pinkbounc

Thanks for all your quick responses...I still haven't made a firm decision on where we will go...its so wonderful of all of you to respond so quickly...Thanks again Marianne any other suggestions..maybe DLC OR DLP? :earsgirl: :wave:

you're my idol - it seems as if you are always going to Disney. Glad to see the DVC works well for you!

You know its seems that ever since we bought DVC (97) we are going to DW..we have gone in Feb so far this year and going in 13 days for our anniversary trip, going in Nov on the 7 day Magic & then onto BWV for 7 days....everybody at work thinks I'm crazy cause all I do is plan plan plan when we can go!!! I just cancelled a Jan trip cause I figured we would need the points to go away in July but with so many options open to us maybe we will go to DLC or DLP in July and then we can go agin in JAN...I think I like to go away a lot and DVC has given me the option of doing just that...hope to see you someday at BWV on one of my trips..lol...if I can just keep getting the CHEAP AIRFARE FROM SW my life will be just about perfect...Marianne :earsgirl: :wave:

I live in Florida, and generally September is just as hot & humid as July, so I don't see a huge difference in the weather at all.

The crowds are another story - the parks are relatively deserted in September, but busy in July. On the plus side, the parks will be open later in July, with more nighttime stuff going on.

actually I guess we're even marianne. We did February, going at the end of this month just for the w/e and 12 days for thanksgiving @ the BW. Maybe we will meet. The SW fares are great, just got $130 r/t for this month. Couldn't resist that and the fact that I want my honorary ambassador badge for my PAP.

It just seems though that everytime I turn around, you're on a flight. Gotta love it!

Everyone is going to think we are nuts, but here goes:

We really enjoy going to WDW for the week of July 4th. We don't have to go this time of year due to work, rather choice. The heat does not bother our family though we do ensure we are well hydrated at all times and leave the commando style for others. We take advantage of the early days in the parks to ride our favorite rides then switch to another less crowded park by 11:00 am or just head back to the resort for the day and return at night. This summer we went this July 4th and second week of August. The August trip seemed more crowded and we suffered far more baby carriage combat wounds.

Knowing what you are in for and accepting the crowds is a large portion of the task. Two years ago we went with family that was not prepared for the heat and crowds and they spent more time complaining than enjoying themselves.

We are going back before Christmas this year and in February. I can't wait to see WL with the lights!

IMHO the July heat of Florida beats the February winters of New Hampshire a-n-y d-a-y!!! :D

Enjoy all of your trips!

July is the only time we can go to WDW due to teaching and school schedules. Coming from Texas the heat an humidity are not as much as a problem for us as some northern climate visitors. Drinking a lot of fluids, mainly water is the best, will help you a lot. However the best advice is to go on the EE days for that park, stay till 11-12, go back to your resort swim, relax, nap, and the go back in the evening. This way your not totally wiped out from staying all day in the parks. That how we do it.

You mentioned going to DLP. We did that this past July, staying on points, and it was great. The weather was cool, a little stormy some times but very nice in general. However one day it was very cold and rainy, and we had to buy coats. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, reaaaally nice!! The park is just beautiful, and PoC, and Space Mountain rides are awsome! We took the Metro into Paris several days from DLP and it is very easy to get around in. It is a trip well worth going on. In a couple of years we plan on visiting London, doing the same thing.

My DH works outside for a living and the last thing he wants to do on vacation is be HOT! For this reason, we always go right after Thanksgiving (Saturday after). The weather is still warm, but not hot, and the crowds are gone from the holiday until just right before Christmas. The kids have to come out of school for a few days, but that has never been a deterrent. Also, the Christmas decorations are up and you get the advantage of the Holiday without the crowds. Enjoy your trip, whenever you decide to go.

We always go in the summer; July or August doesn't matter. :)

The only thing I would be a little cautious about is the 4th of July. I've heard that the parks are absolutely packed that day/week. Personally I usually go after that. This past July I was there from the 11th through the 21st and it wasn't bad as far as crowds went. Then I've been at the end of August and the middle of August. It's all what you make of it. It will be hot and humid. There's no escaping that. Drink lots of water, take breaks when possible and enjoy your resort pool! ;)

I'm sure whatever time you choose you'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter