• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of a small add on...direct, resale, closing costs, usage?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We have 150 SS points we bought resale a long time ago but we have a blue card. We typically use every other year for a 2 bedroom. I currently have a reservation for SS standard due to lack of points. (we did go to Aulani last year when we could borrow 50%) We were thinking about a 25-50 point purchase just for a cushion to use at other resorts but the closing costs on a resale seem excessive. A few questions:
For those who bought direct, what are the closing costs compared with resale?
Should I look for same use year at SS for easier usage?
Can the contracts be combined to make it easier to sell and use? (if same use year/resort)
If I am traveling in May, am I correct that the only points I could use would be if there were points available for 22 (thinking I could not bank and borrow any 23 leftover points) TIA!!

We have 150 SS points we bought resale a long time ago but we have a blue card. We typically use every other year for a 2 bedroom. I currently have a reservation for SS standard due to lack of points. (we did go to Aulani last year when we could borrow 50%) We were thinking about a 25-50 point purchase just for a cushion to use at other resorts but the closing costs on a resale seem excessive. A few questions:
For those who bought direct, what are the closing costs compared with resale?
Should I look for same use year at SS for easier usage?
Can the contracts be combined to make it easier to sell and use? (if same use year/resort)
If I am traveling in May, am I correct that the only points I could use would be if there were points available for 22 (thinking I could not bank and borrow any 23 leftover points) TIA!!
My closing costs recently were about $500 for a 75 points add on.

For an add on less that 150 points they’ll only sell you your current use year.

If it’s the same use year, you don’t need (you can’t) to combine the contracts.

Right now any add on will come with 2022 points. If you wait until your use year pass, it won’t. You can borrow 2023 points.

Contracts represent a deeded interest so they are never combined. But, when they are the same UY with the same owners, they can function as one when booking if the same resort. You simply choose both

Direct closing costs on small contracts are similar to resale. In terms of point use, It all depends on your current UY as that determines what points can be used for a May trip,

For example, if you have a Feb UY, the trip is in your 2023 UY….if you have an Aug UY, that trip is in your 2022 UY.

If you buy today, all UYs come with 2022 points and DVC will let you bank them if beyond the banking window. Depending on your UY, you may not even need to bank for the May trip.

Contracts represent a deeded interest so they are never combined. But, when they are the same UY with the same owners, they can function as one when booking if the same resort. You simply choose both

Direct closing costs on small contracts are similar to resale. In terms of point use, It all depends on your current UY as that determines what points can be used for a May trip,

For example, if you have a Feb UY, the trip is in your 2023 UY….if you have an Aug UY, that trip is in your 2022 UY.

If you buy today, all UYs come with 2022 points and DVC will let you bank them if beyond the banking window. Depending on your UY, you may not even need to bank for the May trip.
I do see a small contract available as resale, although I have a feeling it will get ROFR'ed. How is renting out your small contract? I would think it may be tough as 2 contracts.

Are you considering adding on at SSR or another resort? We call it ‘renting out points’ but technically you actually rent a reservation which you use your points to make, so if that reservation requires more than 50 points you just use all the points from the new contract and then use some from your 150 point contract too if you need more. It’s very easy to do if your contracts are in the same use year. If your contracts are the same resort & use year then you can use both for a reservation at your home resort at 11 months.
Right now DVC’s direct price for SSR is $205 - so for 50 points that’s $10,250 + closing costs. https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions
There are a couple thousand resale listings, 542 of them for SSR, SSR asking price ranges from $102 - $170, there are 28 contracts w/ 50 or fewer points. Assuming you buy 50 points at $125 per point that’s $6250 - a difference from direct of $4000.
You’ll not be able to use resale points you buy now at Riviera. It’s safest to assume that’ll be the case w/ future DVC resorts as well.
Resale takes a long time, usually 2-3 months, so you likely wouldn’t have any points you bought now available for use until March. Some resale contracts have all their points & even banked points from the previous year (loaded contracts,) some have no points because the sellers have used them all (stripped contracts.) Who pays the dues is negotiated between buyers & sellers.
Direct is quick, you’d have the points immediately & DVC will bank your 2022 points on your new contract even if you are beyond your banking deadline. You’ll pay prorated dues for 2023.

Are you in this for the long haul? If you plan to keep this a long time, I'd consider selling the SSR and buying whatever you love. Maybe that's BLT or AKL or whatever. Maybe even Poly2?

Blue Card isn't worth much right now, maybe it never will be. I wouldn't make choices based on it, I would make longer term choices.

If you aren't sure or are on the fence, I'd just buy some points to transfer for a couple years. I'd rather do that than overpay for a small contract I don't love.

I do see a small contract available as resale, although I have a feeling it will get ROFR'ed. How is renting out your small contract? I would think it may be tough as 2 contracts.

If contracts are in the same membership and same resort, using points together is easy and would be the same for renting.

You just choose both when booking. The only resort that can’t be booked is RIV with those resale points.

Are you considering adding on at SSR or another resort? We call it ‘renting out points’ but technically you actually rent a reservation which you use your points to make, so if that reservation requires more than 50 points you just use all the points from the new contract and then use some from your 150 point contract too if you need more. It’s very easy to do if your contracts are in the same use year. If your contracts are the same resort & use year then you can use both for a reservation at your home resort at 11 months.
Right now DVC’s direct price for SSR is $205 - so for 50 points that’s $10,250 + closing costs. https://dvcnews.com/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions
There are a couple thousand resale listings, 542 of them for SSR, SSR asking price ranges from $102 - $170, there are 28 contracts w/ 50 or fewer points. Assuming you buy 50 points at $125 per point that’s $6250 - a difference from direct of $4000.
You’ll not be able to use resale points you buy now at Riviera. It’s safest to assume that’ll be the case w/ future DVC resorts as well.
Resale takes a long time, usually 2-3 months, so you likely wouldn’t have any points you bought now available for use until March. Some resale contracts have all their points & even banked points from the previous year (loaded contracts,) some have no points because the sellers have used them all (stripped contracts.) Who pays the dues is negotiated between buyers & sellers.
Direct is quick, you’d have the points immediately & DVC will bank your 2022 points on your new contract even if you are beyond your banking deadline. You’ll pay prorated dues for 2023.
Thanks for this...Yes, I was looking for SS since that is our current contract. We paid $11,500.00 for 150 points way back when...close to what you are seeing for 50 points with Disney Direct. I appreciate the explaination! Seems that renting with 2 contracts is easy.

Are you in this for the long haul? If you plan to keep this a long time, I'd consider selling the SSR and buying whatever you love. Maybe that's BLT or AKL or whatever. Maybe even Poly2?

Blue Card isn't worth much right now, maybe it never will be. I wouldn't make choices based on it, I would make longer term choices.

If you aren't sure or are on the fence, I'd just buy some points to transfer for a couple years. I'd rather do that than overpay for a small contract I don't love.
Honestly....we have considered selling just because we are empty nesters but now our married children are traveling with us in May and slightly bummed about staying at SS. We would love to try other resorts. We have in the past stayed in GF, BWV, BCV and last year Aulani. I suppose I could try to rent 2 nights and waitlist elsewhere for the other 5 but it all coming together will require work, and luck. We did waitlist Aulani for last June and successful (one a day or two at a time...) 300 points for a 2 bedroom every other year is enough but not to venture out to other higher point resorts. Question on a transfer though....how would that work if I transfer in SS from a SS owner and then try and waitlist and reserve elsewhere? That can't be done correct?

Honestly....we have considered selling just because we are empty nesters but now our married children are traveling with us in May and slightly bummed about staying at SS. We would love to try other resorts. We have in the past stayed in GF, BWV, BCV and last year Aulani. I suppose I could try to rent 2 nights and waitlist elsewhere for the other 5 but it all coming together will require work, and luck. We did waitlist Aulani for last June and successful (one a day or two at a time...) 300 points for a 2 bedroom every other year is enough but not to venture out to other higher point resorts. Question on a transfer though....how would that work if I transfer in SS from a SS owner and then try and waitlist and reserve elsewhere? That can't be done correct?

Transferred points can be used waitlists.

Sandy, sorry for the sloppy cut and paste but the second paragraph on this rules chart was making me think that I could not have a SS transfer move to a waitlist

Sandy, sorry for the sloppy cut and paste but the second paragraph on this rules chart was making me think that I could not have a SS transfer move to a waitlist

When you set up a waitlist, it can pull any points you have in your account.

That would include points that have been transferred in, as long as those points would not need to be borrowed to fill the waitlist.

No different than when someone has OTU points sitting in their account. Those can also be used to fill a waitlist if one had bought them for a different reservation that was canceled

When you set up a waitlist, it can pull any points you have in your account.

That would include points that have been transferred in, as long as those points would not need to be borrowed to fill the waitlist.

No different than when someone has OTU points sitting in their account. Those can also be used to fill a waitlist if one had bought them for a different reservation that was canceled
Thanks Sandy! This seems like a better solution instead of buying more points. I just need a little luck in getting the waitlist to happend otherwise the transfer would have been a waste. Thanks for the help

Right now any add on will come with 2022 points. If you wait until your use year pass, it won’t. You can borrow 2023 points.
Just need to clarify....if I have an Oct UY and add on direct, I will receive Oct 2022 points? I thought since Oct 2022 has already passed, you don't get the points?

I'm an "elder millennial," and my younger brother & I really enjoy traveling with our parents, now that we are middle aged adults. But I can't imagine us ever complaining about free accommodations?!

I'm not trying to call out your kids, tho. Maybe the problem is privacy? It seems like for 5-10 pts more per night, you could get three studios, instead of a 2bd. And while you can't get connecting rooms (outside of Poly), you would still be in close proximity. I know that the older I get, the more I hate sharing space.

Hope this helps, friend!

Honestly....we have considered selling just because we are empty nesters but now our married children are traveling with us in May and slightly bummed about staying at SS. We would love to try other resorts. We have in the past stayed in GF, BWV, BCV and last year Aulani. I suppose I could try to rent 2 nights and waitlist elsewhere for the other 5 but it all coming together will require work, and luck.
Stay a couple nights at Swolphin (or Pop), and call it a day. There's no need to make this so complicated over a contract that's worth a couple nights in a hotel. Plenty of hotels in Orlando, plenty of time to make a choice about DVC/Blue Card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter