Things you wish you knew before buying house?

Buying new is the way to go. I didn’t want any big maintenance costs when I had a mortgage so I bought new. Only maintenance thing I had when I had a mortgage was the hot water heater. I couldn’t imagine having a mortgage and having to put a new roof on, new heater, etc.
You see a used house advertise like heater only two years old. Roof only 5 years old. You buy new everything of course is new.
The only regret I have is after I moved in I planted way too many trees and bushes.

You may also want to check homes that have not been built yet because sometimes you can get new build cheaper then a older home and without their problems . I would check with builders that are starting new neighborhoods or roads . We paid less for our new home then on the road beside us in the highest selling neighborhood and the older homes were not built as well but because the the area are still selling at high prices .
That will be market area dependent.

Here a new home will cost you a lot more....like a lot a lot.

The housing market is still hot here. It's cooled a wee bit but not enough. The new home market recently enough in my area started in mid 2013 and has just gotten bigger and bigger. But the new homes here are not for your average person. The pricing for them can be quite high which is a common complaint.

Our home built just 4 1/2 years later would be $100,000-$150,000 more if built today. Resale in our neighborhood you could get mid-$300s and up. New homes you're not going to be able to get anything new without it being at the very least low to mid $400s and up. Often in the $500K

Brand new neighborhood yeah you might be able to but you'd have to check to make sure the new neighborhood is going to be the price range you're looking for. When we built our house it was slightly less bang for your buck in terms of price vs home. It's exponentially worse nowadays.

We love our new home but we got into the market at exactly the right time. Half-way through the building process the housing prices started to go up because of labor shortage, lumber pricing, new home market up and coming (first time since the Recession), etc.

Good advice just PP would want to make sure their area would support a new home for their pricing.

Buying new is the way to go. I didn’t want any big maintenance costs when I had a mortgage so I bought new. Only maintenance thing I had when I had a mortgage was the hot water heater. I couldn’t imagine having a mortgage and having to put a new roof on, new heater, etc.
You see a used house advertise like heater only two years old. Roof only 5 years old. You buy new everything of course is new.
The only regret I have is after I moved in I planted way too many trees and bushes.
Often though that type of thing is discovered during inspection.

If a home needs a new roof then the seller and the buyer can work out a deal where some or all of the expected costs for a new roof can be accounted for. Same for a new heater. Doesn't always happen that way but it is a way to do it.

Father-in-law is in the process of selling his home. He had a buyer who after an inspection backed out. It was due to multiple things but during the inspection process they discovered the roof had significant enough hail damage to warrant a claim into homeowner's insurance. With the other few issues involved and the roof they ended up taking the home off the market and working on the corrections. They'll be getting around $10K for a new roof with the insurance and the other stuff isn't as much money to take care. When the home gets put back on the market it will then have a new roof.

Inspection for sure is important though. Here a few years ago the market was soooo hot people were waiving the inspection when looking at homes and buying homes sight unseen just so they could buy a home :faint::eek:

Have purchased 7 homes over the years, and no regrets with any of them. Now, in our retirement home for 18 years - one regret - not building a ranch. Our master is on the first floor, so won't be an issue, but in the future - who knows if there will be issues for the three bedrooms plus dh's man cave (bonus room) upstairs.

Second regret - Having a vaulted living area - would rather have 10ft. coffered ceiling instead - heat/air more easily regulated.

Neither are issues that keep us awake - love our home otherwise. Would never want to rent - had enough of that in an apartment for a few months waiting for one home to be built.

OP, don't be afraid to take the plunge - all our homes have been win-wins.

Agree about the Ranch comment. We are currently planning a major remodel and everyone is suggesting to go up, not out. However, we are likely to have a senior residing with us in one of the additional rooms. Those stairs may not work, unless we give up our master.

Loft ceilings give the home such an airy feel, but I agree about the temperature regulation. Second floor tends to be a furnace, while the first floor never heats up. Heat rises....

Agree about the Ranch comment. We are currently planning a major remodel and everyone is suggesting to go up, not out. However, we are likely to have a senior residing with us in one of the additional rooms. Those stairs may not work, unless we give up our master.

Loft ceilings give the home such an airy feel, but I agree about the temperature regulation. Second floor tends to be a furnace, while the first floor never heats up. Heat rises....

Guess our temperature issue is not as major as some, as we do have separate heat/cold units for up/down, but we would not do it again. We do love the 'open' feeling though.

And, no, if remodeling, we would 'not' go up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter