Things to see, eat and do in Barcelona and Venice.

DonnaRN

Earning My Ears
My family and my parents are going on our first Disney Mediterranean cruise from June 26-July 5 2014. We will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. Since we'll be in Europe, we decided to go to Barcelona for 2 days, then Venice for a day prior to cruising. Our kids will be 3 and 5.

Any must see things to see and do in these places for a short period of time? Most importantly, where to eat the best Tapas in Barcelona and places to eat in Venice.

Thanks!!

P.S. 171 more sleeps!

My wife and I spent 4 days in Barcelona a few years ago and talk about it constantly. The city will captivate you.

Instead of giving a long list of to-do's, I'll direct you to the Rick Steve's guidebook on Barcelona. It's available on Amazing for around $15. You can't go wrong with Rick's advice.

Our favorite general areas were the Parc Guell and wandering through the medieval streets of the Barri Gotic. We made good use of the cheap and efficient subway system and scooted around town quickly and safely.

Enjoy your trip!

My wife and I spent 4 days in Barcelona a few years ago and talk about it constantly. The city will captivate you.

Instead of giving a long list of to-do's, I'll direct you to the Rick Steve's guidebook on Barcelona. It's available on Amazing for around $15. You can't go wrong with Rick's advice.

Our favorite general areas were the Parc Guell and wandering through the medieval streets of the Barri Gotic. We made good use of the cheap and efficient subway system and scooted around town quickly and safely.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks! I'll look into getting that guidebook.

I heard that BarcelonaDayTours offers a great tour. We are sailing in August 2014:yay:

Has anyone done Gondola rides in Venice? Is it better to buy tickets online or wait until you get there and buy tickets?

We absolutely LOVED Barcelona when we stayed there for 4 days before a Disney Med cruise in 2011. I think the smartest thing we did was to spend an entire day on the HOHO bus, getting to know how the city was laid out, seeing some sights from the bus, and getting off of it to see specific sights of interest, like Park Guell.

If I were to list our 3 must-sees, I'd say:
La Sagrada Familia (go inside. It is worth the wait. Do the audio tour -- there is so much you would never notice and not know if you did not listen to the audiotour. Be sure to go down into the basement to see lots of the original plan drawings, construction photos, scale models, etc.) Walk around the outside and truly appreciate the different facades and the ever-evolving architectural and artistic styles that have resulted from this being an ongoing project that has been a work-in-progress for generations.

Park Guell - What a fascinating, beautiful park. The views of the city from the upper levels is amazing. Read the story of how the park originated and what it was supposed to be. Gaudi was a true visionary and his influence is seen throughout the city (check out the street lamps near Casa Battilo)

Casa Battilo - Wait in line. It's worth it. The outside is picturesque and fascinating. The inside is really amazing. The use of light and the architecture is something you will never forget. Go up to the roof and look out over the city. Notice the shape on top of the building and hear the story of what it represents.

Barcelona had an energy and beauty that is so unique among all of the places we've been. I dare you not to love it! (BTW, beware of pickpockets in crowds and especially while watching the street performers on Las Ramblas.)

Hi Donna,

I'm booked for the 5N Med cruise in August and will arrive a few days before to explore Barcelona.

We're going on the barcelona turista bus to see the sights on a general level. I am a huge architecture buff so the walk around and explore gaudi works are a must. Will try to squeeze in one or two museums and shopping for me, camp nou (barcelona football club stadium tour) for the husband and lots of ice cream for the girl.

I've booked hubby, DD and myself on a runnerbean children's tour, seems to come with good reviews on tripadvisor. Maybe worthwhile considering?

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
mel

Runner bean free tours are great. Take the time to see the magic fountain.

Has anyone done Gondola rides in Venice? Is it better to buy tickets online or wait until you get there and buy tickets?

We went to Venice last year before the cruise.

No need to book Gondola Rides as it is everywhere... We went to Hard Rock for meals then went on Gondola as it was awesome but expensive but Worthing it.

I love Venice as it is so beautiful ...

Scottishwee35:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter