The WISH - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Review)

We are huge users of the adult pool, and I knew the minute I saw the artists renderings, I would never book this ship. Why were adults without children (or with them, but want the adult pool time) weren't given the MOST thought and attention? After all, the kids don't pay for these cruises, make Mom and Dad happy first!! This pool is an utter joke and embarrassment. I saw pictures of the first cruise, and all people could do was stand there inside the pool, not sit at the edge and stretch their legs out, just stand there. And can someone explain the two structures next to it, I thought they were going to be hot tubs, but in the pictures, adults are putting their feet in the water but their bodies are exposed completely with no water. What is that?? So, so disappointed and will never book this ship.
I thought they were going to be hot tubs too from the artist renderings. It would have made so much sense for them to be hot tubs instead of the one all the way to the side.

So far, I've seen big porthole windows in Keg & Compass, Cove Cafe, and Nightingales and there are lots of windows in The Rose. Luna and The Bayou are certainly inside. Hyperspace Lounge has the fake window to space and whatever. I don't know about all of the smaller cafes and bars.

On the Dream, for instance, Cove Cafe and Meridian have windows. I'll grant Vista Cafe since the nearby seating has windows. Skyline has the fake windows...
I know skyline is my favorite. Looks from Pictures Rose or Bayou me be on Wish

The money it makes will be primarily due to it being the only Disney ship regularly sailing short cruises to Castaway Cay, and now the only ship that ever does so from PC, and not due to its design. People won't have a choice if they want to pair a short cruise with a WDW vacation- they'll have to sail the Wish because nothing else is available with DCL's new ship schedule.

I really don't like the Wish design, but even I've booked it because I really, really want to do a 3-night to Castaway Cay this winter, and the Wish is the now the only ship that offers that. If any others of the Fab Four were available, I'd sail them, but they're not.

I booked the Wish for its itinerary, not its design, and most families likely will, as well. As much as some veteran cruisers on these boards long for more sophisticated itineraries, DCL's bread and butter are still the cruises to Castaway Cay, and especially the ones sailing out of Port Canaveral that can be combined with a trip to Disney World. With DCL's current schedule, that's going to force a lot of people such as myself onto the Wish by default, not by ship preference.
I’m cruising Wish in February for a Back-2-Back to see it for myself luckily my dad and I are pretty lucky and cruise a bit, so will get back on other ships after. While I’ve read negative reviews I’ve also heard great things

I would say it's strictly to appeal to families with pre-teen kids, not die hard Disney fans. Die hard Disney fans are the ones complaining the most about the Wish, because it doesn't have well-planned adult spaces and it doesn't have the meticulous Disney theming (which is different from in your face IP) that die hard Disney fans appreciate.
Die hard Disney fans who are also already cruisers are definitely complaining. But I think the fans they hope to entice are those who are not already cruisers. I would guess that new cruisers and adults who love going to the parks are more likely to be tempted to try a cruise if it’s short, has tons of the IP they already love, has lots of differently themed areas, etc.

To me, the Wish seems like it was designed to entice new customers and a different type of cruiser.

Thats not true. A lot of cruisers complain that its inferior to the other cruise line islands.

Welcome to the DIS.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.
We have been to Great Stirrup Cay twice
Labedee twice.
Castaway Cay once.

For us, in their current forms, Castaway Cay is tops. Great Stirrup Cay when it first opened was pretty close, but NCL ruined it by letting in the outside (aggressive) vendors.
But my perspective is as a 42 year cruiser, and I realize new cruisers like you might have different likes.

We are huge users of the adult pool, and I knew the minute I saw the artists renderings, I would never book this ship. Why were adults without children (or with them, but want the adult pool time) weren't given the MOST thought and attention? After all, the kids don't pay for these cruises, make Mom and Dad happy first!! This pool is an utter joke and embarrassment. I saw pictures of the first cruise, and all people could do was stand there inside the pool, not sit at the edge and stretch their legs out, just stand there. And can someone explain the two structures next to it, I thought they were going to be hot tubs, but in the pictures, adults are putting their feet in the water but their bodies are exposed completely with no water. What is that?? So, so disappointed and will never book this ship.
On the Wish right now; just finished lunch in Marcelline Market. The 2 pools adjacent to the infinity pool are very similar to the inside ring of Satellite Falls. Quite nice.

Perhaps Disney doesn't want the adults in the pool or hot tub? Maybe they want them shopping? Or buying a drink?
Well, that seems pretty clear.

I watched a full ship tour. Ironically, all the places where you get really good ocean views out are in the high end shops and upcharge locations Palo, Enchante, Rainforest Room).

Really disappointing.

And can someone explain the two structures next to it, I thought they were going to be hot tubs, but in the pictures, adults are putting their feet in the water but their bodies are exposed completely with no water. What is that??
I wouldn't be surprised if those small pools were meant to be hot tubs, but ended up being little splash zones once the engineers did their calculations for weight distribution. It turns out that water is very heavy, water on the top decks is hard to balance, and water on the top decks that sloshes around because of the ocean is even harder to balance. That's why cruise ships tend to have smaller pools than hotels.

Anyway, when I think about the adult pool on the Dream, about half of it is shallow water with steps that people use for eating and drinking and not swimming. I guess the new circular water things are like that?

I watched a full ship tour. Ironically, all the places where you get really good ocean views out are in the high end shops and upcharge locations Palo, Enchante, Rainforest Room).
And Keg & Compass, and Nightingales, and The Rose, and Marceline Market, and the fitness center, and...

I just don't get this common complaint. I see no evidence that views to the outside are reduced compared to the other ships.

Has anyone reported on the TV in the stateroom. Specifically if someone sleeping on
sofa bed can see it clearly?

I wouldn't be surprised if those small pools were meant to be hot tubs, but ended up being little splash zones once the engineers did their calculations for weight distribution. It turns out that water is very heavy, water on the top decks is hard to balance, and water on the top decks that sloshes around because of the ocean is even harder to balance. That's why cruise ships tend to have smaller pools than hotels.

Anyway, when I think about the adult pool on the Dream, about half of it is shallow water with steps that people use for eating and drinking and not swimming. I guess the new circular water things are like that?
Nope. As I said above, they're like the inner ring of satellite falls.

We are huge users of the adult pool, and I knew the minute I saw the artists renderings, I would never book this ship. Why were adults without children (or with them, but want the adult pool time) weren't given the MOST thought and attention?
This was the same question many people were asking on the Harmony of the Seas we just went on. Huge adult area with only two small hot tubs and no pool either.

And Keg & Compass, and Nightingales, and The Rose, and Marceline Market, and the fitness center, and...

I just don't get this common complaint. I see no evidence that views to the outside are reduced compared to the other ships.

It is a complaint coming primarily from people who HAVE BEEN ON THE SHIP. Why are you so adamant about dismissing the very real criticisms people have of this ship? Did you design it?

It is a complaint coming primarily from people who HAVE BEEN ON THE SHIP. Why are you so adamant about dismissing the very real criticisms people have of this ship? Did you design it?
I think there are some legitimate criticisms. Losing the walking track is a big deal for some guests. Moving the sports area indoors could be good or bad, depending on your personal preferences. There's no mini golf course, which some people will miss. The outdoor adults-only area needs more shade. And I understand why some people don't like the Marvel restaurant, though I think that I'll personally enjoy it.

But stuff like "less nautical" and "no sea views" just sounds like parroting what others have said without any real thought behind it. And since those criticisms don't match up with what I've seen, I'd like to understand why people feel that way.

So, I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I'm just trying to understand.

DSCN7211.JPG

This is one of the side water features next to the adult infinity pool. I assumed there would be water coming from the top of the seat but I can't say for sure. There are a few inches of water in the bottom. We did not spend any time in this area. Just took some pics.

The family plunge pools were actually quite refreshing. There are two of them on Deck 13 and they are 4.6 ft deep. I also went in the 6 inch pool which is just a few steps away and I liked it more than I thought I would. You can sit in the water and watch the funnel vision or lay on your stomach and cool off that way. I

Plunge Pool
DSCN7444.JPG

I would say the plunge pools are slightly larger than the plunge pool section of the adult pool on the Dream/Fantasy. I do like steps into the pool instead of ladders.

MJ

Last edited:
I think there are some legitimate criticisms. Losing the walking track is a big deal for some guests. Moving the sports area indoors could be good or bad, depending on your personal preferences. There's no mini golf course, which some people will miss. The outdoor adults-only area needs more shade. And I understand why some people don't like the Marvel restaurant, though I think that I'll personally enjoy it.

But stuff like "less nautical" and "no sea views" just sounds like parroting what others have said without any real thought behind it. And since those criticisms don't match up with what I've seen, I'd like to understand why people feel that way.

So, I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I'm just trying to understand.

I'll try to explain why I feel there are less close up sea views....on the other ships I can walk by the public decks on 3 and 4 and the giant portholes are right there as I walk by. On the Wish there are portholes but they are behind the guest service desk on Deck 4 and seem smaller to me on Deck 3. You have to actively go to the side of the ship to get to the portholes or look through the shops to see the portholes. On the other ships the water is right there, almost wherever you look....if that makes sense. You really don't just pass portholes unless you actively go to the sides of the ship.DSC09046.JPG

See how there are portholes on Deck 3 and 4 where you pass by on the Magic.

DSCN7701.JPG

On the Wish this is one place to see the water while walking but not close up. There are also sofas on the other side that you can see the water. This is by guest service and you really can't look out unless you go behind the desks. And actually Deck 4 promenade is right outside the porthole...not the ocean directly.

On Deck 3 there is an area off to the side behind the slide to kids club that has some portholes but again you have to actively seek out that area to look out. It is not directly where you walk to get from point A to B.

DSCN7340.JPG

This is Deck 3...you are not really walking past the portholes close up like on the other ships.

I just felt more removed from the water than the other ships. I would still sail the Wish again though now that I know what its all about.

MJ

Welcome to the DIS.

I guess it depends what you are looking for.
We have been to Great Stirrup Cay twice
Labedee twice.
Castaway Cay once.

For us, in their current forms, Castaway Cay is tops. Great Stirrup Cay when it first opened was pretty close, but NCL ruined it by letting in the outside (aggressive) vendors.
But my perspective is as a 42 year cruiser, and I realize new cruisers like you might have different likes.
I wasnt referring to my preference specifically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter