The we loooooove Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek Part 4

So, I should have read this thread before booking at Bonnet Creek - and have gone down a nice little internet rabbit hole regarding this whole issue. From what I can tell, but I would like others here to verify my understanding, Wyndham is really cracking down on owners. While some rentals may still go through a rental for say the week following Easter is likely going to be a red flag and I should just cancel my VRBO rental now while I'm still within 24 hours of booking it. Is my understanding of the situation accurate?
The week after Easter next year includes part of an owner priority period (April 18-20th). Is your reservation during that period? If so, while the owner could be using an exception, my risk tolerance certainly wouldn't be high enough to risk it. Then again, I ended up buying Wyndham resale because I love Bonnet Creek but have a low risk tolerance for renting.

The week after Easter next year includes part of an owner priority period (April 18-20th). Is your reservation during that period? If so, while the owner could be using an exception, my risk tolerance certainly wouldn't be high enough to risk it. Then again, I ended up buying Wyndham resale because I love Bonnet Creek but have a low risk tolerance for renting.
Yes my reservation is for that week so I assumed (based on what I was reading) that it would be a priority period for them. You really did just confirm my concerns. While I feel bad for the owners who have points they can't use and want to rent them with the way Wyndham is handling things now I'm thinking I'm backing out even though I really like the property and can't get another for the same price and proximity (price wise I can go over to Marriott Royal Palms and get a 3 bedroom but the commute over is such a pain... and I can't afford a 3 bedroom stay on a Disney property even renting a DVC). Oh well, I guess it's better to give up this dream now then find out I'm homeless when I go to check in. That, by far, would be a nightmare. Again, thank you for the response back!

Yes my reservation is for that week so I assumed (based on what I was reading) that it would be a priority period for them. You really did just confirm my concerns. While I feel bad for the owners who have points they can't use and want to rent them with the way Wyndham is handling things now I'm thinking I'm backing out even though I really like the property and can't get another for the same price and proximity (price wise I can go over to Marriott Royal Palms and get a 3 bedroom but the commute over is such a pain... and I can't afford a 3 bedroom stay on a Disney property even renting a DVC). Oh well, I guess it's better to give up this dream now then find out I'm homeless when I go to check in. That, by far, would be a nightmare. Again, thank you for the response back!
There's a chance the reservation will be fine, I don't want to mislead you otherwise, but there is definitely some level of risk renting during an owner priority period through a website like VRBO. If I had to quantify it though, I'd probably say you're more likely than not to be ok. Again, it's just all about your risk tolerance.

I wouldn't feel too bad for the owner though. First, I don't know anyone who "just has extra points to get rid of this year" who is renting on Vrbo. This is probably some level of commercial renter who is renting for a profit (which is exactly what Wyndham is targeting). Second, through a quirk of Wyndham's calendar Easter falls during value season next year. Not sure what he was charging you for the rental in a 3 bedroom for a week, but depending on what points he was using he was probably only paying about $1,000 in maintenance fees for a week in a 3 bedroom, and if he had some real low maintenance contracts, and/or was using VIP auto-upgrades, he could have been paying far less, maybe as low as $500.

There's a chance the reservation will be fine, I don't want to mislead you otherwise, but there is definitely some level of risk renting during an owner priority period through a website like VRBO. If I had to quantify it though, I'd probably say you're more likely than not to be ok. Again, it's just all about your risk tolerance.

I wouldn't feel too bad for the owner though. First, I don't know anyone who "just has extra points to get rid of this year" who is renting on Vrbo. This is probably some level of commercial renter who is renting for a profit (which is exactly what Wyndham is targeting). Second, through a quirk of Wyndham's calendar Easter falls during value season next year. Not sure what he was charging you for the rental in a 3 bedroom for a week, but depending on what points he was using he was probably only paying about $1,000 in maintenance fees for a week in a 3 bedroom, and if he had some real low maintenance contracts, and/or was using VIP auto-upgrades, he could have been paying far less, maybe as low as $500.
It's like 2K for the week. The owner has good reviews on VRBO which was my other concern is that if they have been doing this long enough to be making money on some of the points then they are more likely to get targeted. Of course the positive reviews were why I initially felt comfortable booking with them :) I get that this is one of those risk scenarios where someone willing to roll the dice might come out well in the end - I too am more risk adverse so I was just trying to validate my understanding of the situation before fully bailing on it. But my luck this owner has been flying under the radar and it will be the week I'm checking in that they are finally caught so best for me to play it safe.

My opinion only. But, if it were me I would try to speak with the owner first before cancelling your reservation. Especially if the owner has a good reputation.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest