The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 3.0

I’m currently here now at the Grand Cal and usually come for a few days in September.

I never noticed this before, but a few of the mornings the line for security at the hotel was very long and it surprised me because it’s only supposed to be security for people staying at Grand Cal.

So coming back about 7:20 PM from the parks there must’ve been 300-400 people in line going almost all the way to guest services waiting to get through security.
With only two security detectors. I imagine it’s gonna take them at least an hour.

I saw people as I was going to the elevator, heading to security in their Halloween outfits. I’m sure they are very going to be very unhappy to wait an hour in the line before they get to the party.

These people are all from the hotel and not coming from somewhere else? They really should ask for your room key.

I stopped at guest services and mentioned it and told him I said look down there.
The people are waiting all the way back to here. This is ridiculous.
It’s gonna take them an extremely long time and he said he would pass that information along.

Has anybody else noticed security extremely backed up at the hotel?

To me, it’s one of the perks to be able to go through security easily and quickly.
We were there last week and used the DTD security every morning. It was backed up and slow every morning.

On Friday night we ate at Napa Rose and we could see the DCA security was backed up to Storyteller's for a good portion of our meal...a non-OBB night!

Security efficiency at all of DL is a major gripe of ours.

I’m currently here now at the Grand Cal and usually come for a few days in September.

I never noticed this before, but a few of the mornings the line for security at the hotel was very long and it surprised me because it’s only supposed to be security for people staying at Grand Cal.

So coming back about 7:20 PM from the parks there must’ve been 300-400 people in line going almost all the way to guest services waiting to get through security.
With only two security detectors. I imagine it’s gonna take them at least an hour.

I saw people as I was going to the elevator, heading to security in their Halloween outfits. I’m sure they are very going to be very unhappy to wait an hour in the line before they get to the party.

These people are all from the hotel and not coming from somewhere else? They really should ask for your room key.

I stopped at guest services and mentioned it and told him I said look down there.
The people are waiting all the way back to here. This is ridiculous.
It’s gonna take them an extremely long time and he said he would pass that information along.

Has anybody else noticed security extremely backed up at the hotel?

To me, it’s one of the perks to be able to go through security easily and quickly.
This thread says GCH is for anyone now unless I’m misunderstanding. I really don’t like that. https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-security-entrance.3947409/page-9

We were there last week and used the DTD security every morning. It was backed up and slow every morning.

On Friday night we ate at Napa Rose and we could see the DCA security was backed up to Storyteller's for a good portion of our meal...a non-OBB night!er

Security efficiency at all of DL is a major gripe of ours.
I never had an issue before this trip and it really surprised me.
They definitely need to address it.

So I made the mistake of only booking 1 night for my OBB trip. Im seeing the VGC is well known for not letting DVC into their rooms until after 4. It's been a bit since I have been to VGC and I have never had to change clothes before. Is there a decent bathroom we can change into costumes in? Any bathrooms better than others for this?
Yeah. They actually have a pretty decent restroom. I think the stalls have like full doors and everything. If your facing the checkin counter it’s down the little hallway to the right.

It can happen but I wouldn’t count on your room being ready early… last 2 times I was there it was between 4&4:30
There should also be changing rooms in the pool that you should be able to access. The lobby bathrooms though do have the best public poop palaces in all of DLR.

Obviously there's no beating the Grand Cal's entrances and proximity to DTD and DCA. But if those lines get crazy long, for those that don't mind a little out of the way walk, my wife and I have really taken a liking to the new DTD entrance (just south of the new Din Tai Fung). Way more security lanes so it processes more bodies much faster. (Or at least we have had good luck with getting through pretty fast). Although we've never used this entrance during the early morning when Pixar Place and DLH guests would also use this same entrance.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2024...urity-checkpoint-now-open-at-downtown-disney/

1726251681206.png

Obviously there's no beating the Grand Cal's entrances and proximity to DTD and DCA. But if those lines get crazy long, for those that don't mind a little out of the way walk, my wife and I have really taken a liking to the new DTD entrance (just south of the new Din Tai Fung). Way more security lanes so it processes more bodies much faster. (Or at least we have had good luck with getting through pretty fast). Although we've never used this entrance during the early morning when Pixar Place and DLH guests would also use this same entrance.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2024...urity-checkpoint-now-open-at-downtown-disney/

View attachment 894313
Holy moly though, that seems like quite a trek!

There should also be changing rooms in the pool that you should be able to access. The lobby bathrooms though do have the best public poop palaces in all of DLR.
Awesome! Thanks! I had no idea. I’ve actually never visited the VGC pool.

Holy moly though, that seems like quite a trek!
Indeed. lol.

We are also the people that prefer using the walking path from the parking structure and walking through DTD. (Instead of folding up the stroller and using the tram).

I was there last month. For DL, we used the Downtown Disney security, long lines. For DCA, we were in the DVC wing so we went down to the exit by the laundry and grills and used the PP entrance into DCA. No keys checked in either case.

This will be my 1st visit to Grand Cal as a DVC member, DVC-Y to boot! Tell me all the DVC-Y non park perks I should be looking for.

My son is really wanting to add to his medallion collection, do they have them at VGC?

This will be my 1st visit to Grand Cal as a DVC member, DVC-Y to boot! Tell me all the DVC-Y non park perks I should be looking for.

My son is really wanting to add to his medallion collection, do they have them at VGC?
I don't think it's just DVC-Y but make sure to stop by the DVC preview center at VGC and get the freebies. They give you a cinch bag with some goodies. You can also ask if they have other stuff (they actually told us to always ask what they have). We were there in August and mentioned the medallions but they were out. We got a VDH pin instead. They also gave us the VGC print and we got the VDH one at VDH.

I don't know how often they do it but we also got lucky on a previous trip that they had an animation event for DVC-Y. Make sure to check the DVC site for events. In October it looks like there's a DVC-Y Halloween event on 10/17, 10/24, and 10/31.

I don't think it's just DVC-Y but make sure to stop by the DVC preview center at VGC and get the freebies. They give you a cinch bag with some goodies. You can also ask if they have other stuff (they actually told us to always ask what they have). We were there in August and mentioned the medallions but they were out. We got a VDH pin instead. They also gave us the VGC print and we got the VDH one at VDH.

I don't know how often they do it but we also got lucky on a previous trip that they had an animation event for DVC-Y. Make sure to check the DVC site for events. In October it looks like there's a DVC-Y Halloween event on 10/17, 10/24, and 10/31.
Thanks!! We check out 10/30 darn on missing the Halloween event. But everything sounds super cool!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest