The ultimate budget trip to WDW!! Pre-trip report for May 2010

You'll love Epcot! It's my favorite, and has been since I was 10! We rarely eat TS meals in the parks. We get CS, and our sit down meals are offsite. We like Cracker Barrel especially. We don't have any around us.

Your budget seems good to me. We always travel with a budget, and we have more fun than our friends who splurge!

You'll love Epcot! It's my favorite, and has been since I was 10! We rarely eat TS meals in the parks. We get CS, and our sit down meals are offsite. We like Cracker Barrel especially. We don't have any around us.

Your budget seems good to me. We always travel with a budget, and we have more fun than our friends who splurge!

I can definitely see why Epcot would be a favorite! We spent a bit of time on a couple of different days but for some reason we never fully explored this park. I plan on spending more time there than anywhere else this trip now that I realize just how much we missed. :goodvibes

I love Cracker Barrel too! The funny thing is, we actually have one 10 minutes down the road but we eat out so seldom that we only go there on vacation, LOL. I'm hoping that there will be one near one of our hotels on the road this time ~ hashbrown casserole and blackberry cobbler, YUM!! :thumbsup2

I totally agree with you about the budget, too. We have never gone on vacation with pockets full of money and we always have such a good time!

Originally I didn't want to see Avatar because of this article. Sorry I meant to tell you how I liked it!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

I enjoyed it. And it was really cool in 3-D but I would really write home about it. It was good...but, it kind of made me feel a little beat down about how Hollywood views the work I do. In a way it's bashing of our efforts over in the middle east. Not really the environmental bashing people say it is.

I would say if you've got nothing to do go see it. But like I said it's nothing to really write home about.

Stacy- your plan looks to be right up my alley... We are planning a similarly budgeted trip. would you mind letting me know where you got all of your budget tips? or, since you're so organized, could you possibly share them with me? I will be there at the end of April and could send your DC's a postcard... message me if you want my email address... tia!!

ruthgator ~ :welcome:

The majority of my info comes from right here on the Dis. I have scoured the boards the past few months for any tips I can use while we are down there.

There are a lot of low cost and free activities to do on WDW property so even if you only do one or two park days, you can be busy all week.

Just a few of the free or cheap things we have on our list:

*Swimming (do not underestimate the swimming time ~ it is THE most requested thing the kids ask for on vacation, LOL)

*Resort hopping on WDW property (I highly suggest going over to the resorts board and seeing what each resort has to offer ~ we will be heading over to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals which is free to all visitors and also over to the Polynesian one evening to sit on the beach and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes ~ I also like to pop into the gift shops at the resorts and check out the pressed penny machines as these are totally different pennies than what you find in the parks)

*On the days you do go to the parks, make sure to get a times guide for the characters ~ you don't need a fancy book for the autographs, just bring along a cute notebook from the dollar store (decorate with a $1 pack of Disney stickers) and a large pen that will be easy for them to write with. Very cheap souvenir!

There is a lot of other info here on the Dis ~ browse the Budget Board, Resorts Board and Theme Parks Board specifically. Good luck!

Hey Stacy! I don't know if you have a Michael's near you, but they have a $1 section for Disney gifts! Notebooks and pens and a few other fun things just for a buck! They have princess, fairies, Cars, Toy Story, and even some Princess Tiana stuff. I got my fairies trip journal just the other day. I wanted to buy one of everything!

Thanks, RachelNinja! I haven't popped into Michael's recently but I will take a trip up there this weekend. :thumbsup2

A few little updates on the trip:

**I ordered my Orlando Entertainment Book this week! :woohoo:
Hopefully, I will find some good deals in there for a couple of dinners and the girls were just asking me last night if there was an aquarium in the area, so maybe there will be some coupons for that as well.

**I was able to use my Entertainment membership for the rental car and got a great deal (9 days, unlimited miles, Full Size sedan for $249 including all taxes and fees). :yay:

**We also dropped off our blankets with Project Linus so we should be getting our vouchers in the next couple of weeks.

**I had a little extra spending money this week so I grabbed $75 in Disney GCs from Kroger while shopping. We'll use these to grab QS meals and snacks when we resort hop.

**Last but not least, we may just end up getting a timeshare for free for our trip. The circumstances really suck (DSis's MIL has to give up her vacation due to a recent cancer diagnosis :sad1: and is checking into transferring her points to let us get a condo for the week). It is really sweet of her, even if it doesn't work out. Also, if anyone would keep her in your prayers, I'd really appreciate it. :goodvibes

I am subbing, really interested to see how your budget all works out and what you are able to do! :) One thing, don't forget to add parking and tolls to your budget. I didn't see it anywhere, and I know that can add up quickly. :thumbsup2

Welcome, Donaldswife!

Luckily the only day we have to pay for parking is our Epcot day but yes, I will definitely be adding that and I usually take a baggie full of quarters for the tolls, thanks for the reminder! :goodvibes

Updates:

We are sticking with Seralago as our resort ~ it was just the best thing all around.

I have been picking up more Disney GCs as I shop so we have all we need for our meals on WDW property now. :woohoo:

I already have my huge Mickey Mouse totebag stuffed with things for the trip:

*5 boxes of Disney fruit snacks
*Campbell's Disney soups
*my hipster bag for the days we'll be doing a lot walking (I found a really cute one on Amazon for $10)
*hangers with clips for drying swimsuits
*an over the door organizer
*a giant Mickey pen for autographs (found at Dollar Tree)
*autograph book (it's actually a Disneyland Paris one that I found brand new at the thrift store for 80 cents, LOL ~ the only signature in it is Mickey on the first page)
*some Disney game books and the Disney Scene It cards for passing the time,
*glow bracelets from Dollar Tree
*some Monsters, Inc. sandwich bags for odds and ends (just bought these because they were cute, LOL)
*Alice in Wonderland book from Dollar Spot at Target which I will be asking Alice to sign for DD15. :lovestruc
*a small tension rod for extra hanging space in a doorway (saw that tip here on the Dis and it is a good one!)

I have all of our days planned with itineraries typed up except for our Epcot day ~ still working on that one.

Only 79 days from today we leave!!

I think this is great! We live in tampa and although we're so close we haven't been in a Disney park since 12/06- we've done a RCCL and Disney cruises in between. We planned on a cruise but Dh took a pay and hour cut so I want to keep this trip budget. We also are going to NY this summer to see his mom and have to keep both trips to the cost that the cruise would have been.

I can't wait to read more!

Woohoo for the $10 hipster bag!

I absolutely love Dollar Tree and the Dollar Spot at Target! I was really surprised to see how good the stuff is at the Dollar Tree. So many dollar stores sell cheap stuff that falls apart, but I was pleased with all the DT Disney stuff! When I was putting together a box for a kid for Operation Christmas Child (pack a shoebox full of toys to be sent to a kid usually overseas), I went there and got so much stuff! Because there were so many good things (Disney jump ropes, Disney coloring books, etc.), I was able to pack 2 boxes, one for a girl and one for a boy. I know that next year, I'm sure I'll be able to pack even more! Love love LOVE that Dollar Tree!

I think this is great! We live in tampa and although we're so close we haven't been in a Disney park since 12/06- we've done a RCCL and Disney cruises in between. We planned on a cruise but Dh took a pay and hour cut so I want to keep this trip budget. We also are going to NY this summer to see his mom and have to keep both trips to the cost that the cruise would have been.

I can't wait to read more!

Good luck with your trip planning...I know it's a lot of work to make a good budget but the feeling of accomplishment is awesome! :thumbsup2

Great ideas!:)

Thank you! :goodvibes

Woohoo for the $10 hipster bag!

I absolutely love Dollar Tree and the Dollar Spot at Target! I was really surprised to see how good the stuff is at the Dollar Tree. So many dollar stores sell cheap stuff that falls apart, but I was pleased with all the DT Disney stuff! When I was putting together a box for a kid for Operation Christmas Child (pack a shoebox full of toys to be sent to a kid usually overseas), I went there and got so much stuff! Because there were so many good things (Disney jump ropes, Disney coloring books, etc.), I was able to pack 2 boxes, one for a girl and one for a boy. I know that next year, I'm sure I'll be able to pack even more! Love love LOVE that Dollar Tree!

RachelNinja ~ my new obsession is the dollar sections at every store I visit! I have found a lot of my Disney treasures that way. And I think that those shoebox gifts are one of the greatest things ever!

I was so happy when I found that hipster bag on Amazon ~ I get a lot of free GCs for them from my surveys so I actually didn't have to pay anything OOP for it :woohoo:. This is the one I got Olive and Fig Hipster.
You can tell up close that the quality isn't the same as a Vera Bradley but it's still very cute!

Another freebie or almost freebie I just got for the trip: cashed out for a $10 Steak and Shake GC from Mypoints and have a $5 off $15 coupon from the Entertainment book to combine with that so we can go out for a snack one evening (I love their Berry Berry Cobbler A La Mode ~ :lovestruc).

We are down to 66 days now and I'm getting so excited! :yay: I recently cashed out some of my Disney Movie Rewards for a Disney Anniversary Celebration music CD and I've been playing it in the van and driving the kids crazy, LOL. :rotfl:

I'm also calling Seralago today to see about an extra discount ~ they are listed in my Entertainment book as being one of the hotels that will take an extra 10% off of the best available rate. I'm already getting a killer deal but hey, if I can save a few more dollars, why not? ;)

Those dollar sections really make me want to have kids just so I can put together those little road trip goodies together for them!

BTW, your hipster is extremely cute! I would definitely get that if I didn't already buy my bag and if I didn't need a bigger one. And at that price? Such a steal!

Good luck with your trip planning...I know it's a lot of work to make a good budget but the feeling of accomplishment is awesome! :thumbsup2

Thank you! :goodvibes

RachelNinja ~ my new obsession is the dollar sections at every store I visit! I have found a lot of my Disney treasures that way. And I think that those shoebox gifts are one of the greatest things ever!

I was so happy when I found that hipster bag on Amazon ~ I get a lot of free GCs for them from my surveys so I actually didn't have to pay anything OOP for it :woohoo:. This is the one I got Olive and Fig Hipster.
You can tell up close that the quality isn't the same as a Vera Bradley but it's still very cute!

Another freebie or almost freebie I just got for the trip: cashed out for a $10 Steak and Shake GC from Mypoints and have a $5 off $15 coupon from the Entertainment book to combine with that so we can go out for a snack one evening (I love their Berry Berry Cobbler A La Mode ~ :lovestruc).

We are down to 66 days now and I'm getting so excited! :yay: I recently cashed out some of my Disney Movie Rewards for a Disney Anniversary Celebration music CD and I've been playing it in the van and driving the kids crazy, LOL. :rotfl:

I'm also calling Seralago today to see about an extra discount ~ they are listed in my Entertainment book as being one of the hotels that will take an extra 10% off of the best available rate. I'm already getting a killer deal but hey, if I can save a few more dollars, why not? ;)

Did you ever find out about the additional 10% off? It is April now so the trip is almost here. :banana:

I love that hipster bag. I bought a Vera Bradley one online on St. Patricks Day. Someone on the budget board posted they were on sale and posted a discount code and I was able to get for @$20 including shipping. Can't wait to try it out next month on my trip to Disneyland with the hubby for our anniversary. :lovestruc

Hi Stacy -

You had me at 'budget' :rotfl2:

I am planning a trip right now that is turning into a 'budget buster' but we will be planning for another for this December where 'budget' will be the name of the game!

Wondered if you knew about the Orlando Magicard. It's free, just have to sign-up and there's a variety of savings opportunities available with it. Just google it for more info if you're interested. There's also a 'kids eat free' (kids 11 and under) card available for 15 -20 dollars (depends on where you purchase it) that allows a child to eat free at a variety of Orlando area restaurants with the purchase of an adult meal. You can use it over and over again for, I believe, a 90 period once it's activated. I don't know how many times you'll be eating out and about but it might be something to look into.

Just some food for thought:)

Those dollar sections really make me want to have kids just so I can put together those little road trip goodies together for them!

LOL, I know what you mean...I get to do a lot of fun stuff by saying "it's for the kids" :rotfl:

Did you ever find out about the additional 10% off? It is April now so the trip is almost here. :banana:

I did call but it only took an extra $3 off because of the promo I had already booked with ~ but hey, that's a Mickey Bar, right? :mickeybar

But, I saved another $50 by switching our on the road hotel, so yay for that! :woohoo: (I was originally using rewards points for the on the road hotel nights but ended up using them unexpectedly on funeral flowers instead :( )

Hi Stacy -

You had me at 'budget' :rotfl2:

I am planning a trip right now that is turning into a 'budget buster' but we will be planning for another for this December where 'budget' will be the name of the game!

Wondered if you knew about the Orlando Magicard. It's free, just have to sign-up and there's a variety of savings opportunities available with it. Just google it for more info if you're interested. There's also a 'kids eat free' (kids 11 and under) card available for 15 -20 dollars (depends on where you purchase it) that allows a child to eat free at a variety of Orlando area restaurants with the purchase of an adult meal. You can use it over and over again for, I believe, a 90 period once it's activated. I don't know how many times you'll be eating out and about but it might be something to look into.

Just some food for thought:)

Thank you! Hope you have as much fun planning yours as I am having with mine!
We are actually only eating out a couple of times with some GCs that we have but I appreciate any tips to save some money, thank you!! :goodvibes You actually reminded me that I ordered one of those Magicards ~ I'm going to go to the website and see if it is good for anywhere we are going! :thumbsup2

44 days left now ~ dug my Mickey luggage out of the closet the other day and had the kids go through all the summer clothes. I'm so anxious now!! :hyper:

I need to take some tips from you about my planning for DL. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to do it. It looks like getting tickets from base would be better than buying them directly from Disney but so far I'm not sure if the Dinning plan is worth it since it's $104 a person......I'm not sure I tried to go with the Good Neighbor Hotel which is like $284 a person which includes a lot of things...not sure how thrifty it'll be. :surfweb:

Heyyyy we are so close to getting to the World! Almost less than a month away!!!:rotfl:

I need to take some tips from you about my planning for DL. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to do it. It looks like getting tickets from base would be better than buying them directly from Disney but so far I'm not sure if the Dinning plan is worth it since it's $104 a person......I'm not sure I tried to go with the Good Neighbor Hotel which is like $284 a person which includes a lot of things...not sure how thrifty it'll be. :surfweb:

Heyyyy we are so close to getting to the World! Almost less than a month away!!!:rotfl:

I know ~ it's so exciting!! :yay:

Honestly, I loved the Dining Plan when we had Free Dining, but, for us it wouldn't be a money saver to pay for it. In your case, though, being that you don't have any children going, it might be a good deal, especially if you really have your heart set on TS meals. :)

Adding all of the last minute touches to my itinerary ~ can't believe it's only 39 days now!! I'm going to try to bid on Priceline this week for a better deal on the rental car...from what I've read, I think I can do better than what I've got. :)

Not much left to do but I just keep going over everything, trying to be sure I got the best possible deals. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter