The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)
I pulled out a new pair of Adrenalines this morning and am stumped what to name them to track the miles. I keep trying to get >300 miles, but I end up with a flat spot by 250 and right around there I end up with random aches. I hated the 18s enough that I stocked up on the 19s and still have one pair in reserve. It does make me sad that for being their 'most popular' shoe, they are also the most boring colors. During the 18s when I could not find leftover 17s I briefly ran in a New Balance shoe, but it lasted about 150 miles before the insole was creased and I somehow wore a hole under it.

goodr fans, time to pull out the credit cards: https://goodr.com/collections/warehousesale
*&^$*+@!
I guess I mean thanks for the heads up, order is in. How can you resist one named after Figment?

I did my advance packet pickup for my trail race tomorrow. We should have nice weather for it and I am excited to get back out even if it will be a slightly different feel with wave starts. I suspect I'll be by myself in the woods most of the race. They will have one water stop (it is about a 10K but not exact) but are asking we carry our own if we can so I'll bring the handheld I do my trail runs with. I also signed up for another local race that is scheduled to be in person and clicking register felt very good.

My favorite Christmas race go cancelled which is a bummer but right now my next "Man I really hope this happens" race is the Cherry Blossom in DC. I deferred and really need a travel race to happen so I hope we are in a situation where these can happen next spring.

I'm sorry about your dad.

At the beginning of the pandemic we started looking for a treadmill and settled on the Sole F63 and have had it now about 2 months. It is mostly for my wife but I've used it a few times and while I don't love any treadmill this one is good. I'd recommend it if your looking around the $1,000 range. It was not hard to put together, is not loud, and doesn't have a lot of stuff we don't use. The only caution I'd have is the front is pretty high so if you run in front of a TV you might need to raise it. We will be wall mounting ours but the tablet holder works just find for the time being.

thank you for the kind words about my dad to everyone again.

I ended up going with the Nordictrack 2450. It should be delivered in about two weeks Which is fine because the room in the basement where it is going still have stuff in it from the move so it gives me time to get it into the attic. I also signed up for the Marathon weekend 10k and 1/2 and I’m thinking of doing Princess weekend challenge. Not having a race this year stunk and I don’t normally do virtual but since it’s my only option I might as well is these races as motivation. I plan to break out the bike trainer this winter too.

my knee also appears to be improving now that I’m stretching my IT band too. Overall, things are looking up. I am very much missing Disney races though, I realized that this week.

QOTD: How many miles do you get out of your running shoes? How do you decide when it's time for a new pair? (Bonus: What shoe are you currently running in?)

ATTQOTD:
I usually get 400-500 miles out of a pair of road shoes. Trail shoes I get close to 750. I rotate through 4--5 pairs of Altras (from minimal to high-cushion), a couple of Topo and a pair of Brooks Adrenaline for recovery. I know it is time to change them when I start to get unusual aches and pains on a run.

@JulieODC I’m surprised they cancelled everyone’s registration. I would think they’d leave it up to the individual to decide if they want to run and quarantine.
Was this in Rhode Island? Surprised they autocanceled since so many people are working from home and can do the quarantine or get a test.
I assume this is in RI? I am doing a half in RI on 10/4 and we (Connecticut) also have a quarantine rule coming in from RI so what happened to you makes me a bit nervous. But having a quarantine rule coming back into your state should not preclude you. You are allowed to travel. It is your choice to travel and agree to quarantine if you do. Also, the CT quarantine requires you to be in the "affected" state" for at least 24 hours so technically, I do not even need to quarantine when I return after the race because I will only be in RI for a few hours. Your situation is very interesting. I sorta think there is something else going on here like they are just trying to reduce the number of runners...

Yes! I should have clarified that they did email and give about 24hrs for people to opt back in by signing a waiver that they’d quarantine - but it autocanceled if no response. With schools back open and other activities happening, it just wasn’t possible for me to commit to 14 days. They did re-open the slots to RI runners. If the rule changes back to allow state to state travel, and slots are open, then you can re-register.

QOTD: I track my mileage on garmin and usually retire my running shoes at around 400 miles. I can tell when they are getting close to that though, as my knees start to get achy.

Goodr sale - I ended up only getting one pair, but those are some great deals!

I just ordered two pairs of Goodr glasses Labor Day weekend. A slight Canoe mishap that weekend resulted in my Ray-Bans being at the bottom of Alum Creek Lake so they were replaced with some Goodrs. I won a pair earlier this year and was really impressed with them. For $25 they are just as good as the $100+ Roka glasses I bought.

I had my first in-person race yesterday since January. It was a trail 10K called Flirt with Dirt which was supposed to happen in March...then May...then August...but finally happened this weekend. We gave our predicted finish times, got rolling start times in groups of about 10, and then started single file about 15 seconds apart in our small group. The course was also changed slightly to reduce the amount of time spend with runners coming back overlapping with runners going out. It felt good to be back out in something resembling a race. A big part of the trail running this company does is social events before and after so that was a little lost but I'm glad we can get back to doing something.

I have two more in-person races I'm registered for, one of them actually gives a pair of Goodr sunglasses to the overall male and female winner. Most years I have a shot depending on who shows up but with so few road races happening the really fast guys have been out for all of them. I am not competitive when the winning times are under 17:00.

How far apart is a "good" spacing for races.....like 10ks and halfs. I'm looking into possibly finding some local-ish races next spring/summer, but as I have never actually done a race, I don't know how far apart I should be spacing them to avoid injury. One per month? 3 weeks?

I'm also considering getting my older 2 boys signed up for some races (probably the same ones I'll do, though they may not want to do a half...probably more the 5 or 10k) to keep them in shape over the summer for when soccer starts. I think they would like the idea of "competing" against others for a better time......

ALSO, my local half race coordinators got back to me and they were able to defer my registration to next year. So that's a relief.

How far apart is a "good" spacing for races.....like 10ks and halfs. I'm looking into possibly finding some local-ish races next spring/summer, but as I have never actually done a race, I don't know how far apart I should be spacing them to avoid injury. One per month? 3 weeks?

I'm also considering getting my older 2 boys signed up for some races (probably the same ones I'll do, though they may not want to do a half...probably more the 5 or 10k) to keep them in shape over the summer for when soccer starts. I think they would like the idea of "competing" against others for a better time......

ALSO, my local half race coordinators got back to me and they were able to defer my registration to next year. So that's a relief.
It depends on the distance, your training leading up to the races, and your effort level you plan to put into the race. If you are doing 10k's at an easy pace as a training run then you don't need much time to recover. If you are doing a 1/2 marathon and it is an "A" race with a planned all out effort, you would probably want a few weeks to recover. There are so many variables that go into answering a question like this it is hard to say. But I usually try to do the BAA 10K which is normally in June. It is my first "real race" of every season where I have had enough quality training on the roads after winter ends that I can give a solid effort. After that race I wouldn't plan to race again for a few weeks. But I have had 0ther 10k's where it is used as a training run for an upcoming 1/2 so I don't give max effort and I wouldn't take any break from running.

I went out for my first run in probably a month. My knee was feeling much better with my new stretching routine so I decided to give it a shot. I had knee pain from the first step. I tried to run a bit to see if it would go away once it got warmed up, which happens for me sometimes. I made it a whole .75 miles. I may just put the bike on the trainer and do a 1/2 hour just to keep blowing flowing until I can log some real miles soon.

The answer is, it depends on how you want to approach the races. If you approach the races as training runs, then conceivably with the right training you could do a 10k race every day. For some people, even a HM a day would certainly be possible. Whereas, if you preferred to treat the races as "B" (not training run but no all out) or "A" (all out) races, then you're going to want to space them out further. Beyond finding out what you want to accomplish with each individual race, there are probably two other main things to consider:

1) If you do an "A" race, typically that's the end of the training cycle. Depending on the distance of the "A" race would dictate how much recovery you need from it. I use Daniels Recovery timeline principle. For every 3k of racing, you need one day off/easy for recovery. So a 10k is roughly 3 days of off/easy. A HM is 7 days off/easy. So if you wanted to stack multiple 10ks in a race season (several "B"s and a single "A"), then you could probably do one every other weekend. If you wanted to stack 5ks, you could probably do it every weekend. If you wanted to stack HMs, you could probably do it every 3 weekends. But the easier you take the races relative to your fitness level, the shorter amount of time between the races you could have.

2) How long is the timeline between the first and last race of the season/cycle? Training is best performed with ebbs/flow over the course of a year. Parts where you are training hard towards a peak, and parts where you are maintaining or recovering. You can maintain a peak for probably 6-8 weeks at best. So if you intend on getting in lots of good races with hard efforts, then your window is tight before you'd need to consider throttling down the training again. I use the "training load theory" as a tool to determine good training cycles over the course of a year. I cover that topic in depth here in these posts:

-A longer thread from earlier in 2018: The Beginner's Guide to Stravistix or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the TRIMP (started by @kleph)
-An explantation of the terminology and whether "Fitness" = Pace: "Fitness" and "Fatigue"
-More isn't always better
-Finally figured out how to apply the mathematical formula of Stress Score, "Fitness" and "Fatigue"

Now the parts that will be more interesting.

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles
Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles: Part 2
4 hour marathon runner choosing between Hansons Advanced and Hansons Beginner
Training Load Calculations (What happens when the next cycle starts?): Part 3
2019 Training: A Macro View

So, determine your goals for the races, determine how much recovery would be needed based on distance of race and effort given, and determine how far apart your first/last races are for the intent of building a training cycle.

I return again. I want to start by saying thank you to everyone who offered encouraging words and advice when I dropped in here two weeks ago freaked out about my first half. @Waiting2goback I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and am glad that you've made your own return to the thread.

The good news is that I have a positive Race Report to share! September 20 was the Montana Marathon road race at which I ran the half marathon for the very first time, and it was a successful race for me as well as a great learning experience. Officially, my time was 3:30:16 for a pace of 16:03, which is somehow both better and worse than my Garmin time of 3:30:34 for a pace of 15:51--according to Garmin, the course was 0.18 miles too long, which seemed about right when comparing my mile alerts on the Garmin to when I would see the mile marker come up a short while later. I'm wondering if they didn't take the offshoot gravel road on which they staged us into account?? Anyway, my goal pace was 15:40 and I came close enough to that to feel good about it, particularly since I wasn't actually all that confident I could do better than 17:00/mile to begin with.

The course was almost all downhill, with the opening mile being the steepest portion. The first four miles or so were out on the highway (I told my friends--a road race in Montana is the only time you want a stranger to drive you out onto the prairie and leave you there). Things were briefly exciting when we ran past a rifle range I didn't know existed, since I could hear it for half a mile before I could see the sign at its entrance, but since no one else was bothered (and because it's Montana) I guessed that was what I was looking for pretty quickly. Also I saw some goats in someone's yard, and who doesn't like goats? Also there were people out cheering along the highway and that was very nice, especially when I realized later that those same people packed up and moved up along the course as the event went on.

My housemate and I stayed with a local friend and their S.O. that weekend, and the three of them came out and cheered me--with a local navigating they were able to meet me at a bunch of different points along the course, which was a great experience. The course was mostly on roads; there was the previously mentioned highway portion, a bunch of residential streets, and a few sections of walking paths. It ended at a city park, where I made the mistake of not taking a bottle of chocolate milk because I didn't think I could stomach it (ten minutes later my stomach had recovered and I was inhaling every bit of food I could get my hands on). The last few miles were rough; I kept looking at all the nice lawns in front of the houses and thinking about how I could just go lay down and fall asleep right then.

Overall I was happy with their COVID-19 processes. They had split the full and half each into two starting times and made the 10K virtual, so the course was never crowded. Then within each starting time they split us into waves of 50, and because they staged us on an offshoot we had plenty of space to spread out while we waited to start. The buses to the start were running at maybe 1/3 capacity, if even that, with windows open for fresh air. The aid stations were self-serve with cups of water (and sometimes HEED) on the tables--supposedly there was also Hammer gel at the stops with HEED but I never saw any offered. The aid stations weren't spaced quite at the points where the race info packet claimed they would be, so a few times I passed up the opportunity to take one of the gels I was carrying because I thought there'd be another opportunity for water closer to my planned fueling time only to end up waiting longer to fuel than I wanted because the next aid station wasn't where I expected it.

So! Lessons learned?
  • Don't rely on the advertised spacing of the aid stations and portapotties to be 100% accurate. If I'm coming up on a fueling time, it's better to take the fuel early than to wait and potentially be very late in taking it.
  • Trust! my! goal! pace!--I really think I could have gotten closer to 15:40 overall if I had trusted that I could do it from the start and if I had restrained myself from trying to do more. I had a very fast first mile (thanks, downhill) and at four miles in I literally didn't feel tired at all. That gave me confidence to increase my intervals and try for a faster pace, which was a terrible mistake. My last few miles were very slow and I lost every bit of head start I had against my goal time, and then some.
  • The aid stations alone did not give me enough water (this is handy to know since the spacing was similar to what runDisney does for the marathon). My friends brought gatorade with them when they met me along the course and it saved my bacon. For a course like WDW, where I can't have someone meeting me as frequently, I will need to carry at least one small bottle of water or gatorade.
  • I was right to bring a couple spare uncrustables to the starting line even after eating a small breakfast before getting on the bus. Ate one during staging and put the other in my bag to send to the finish line, and having one right before and one right after the race was just what I needed.
  • I am capable of doing this!! Recovery was rough (for two or three mornings afterward I literally couldn't even get my legs to work to roll over in bed without a bit of warmup first), but it turns out I am fully capable of running a half marathon! So that's nice to know.

This is getting very long, so I'm going to wrap up with some images and then do a second post with my questions for the community.

The view from the bus as we reached the staging area:

Staging area selfie--we were required to wear our masks on the bus but not during the race; I just left mine on until it was getting close to time to start. Here you can see I also still had my cardigan on; it was a chilly morning and I was glad for bag check to be able to wear something warm without having to carry it later. You can also see here that it was quite windy, which worried me--but it ended up being a tail wind most of the way!

Back home, my new medal display (it's a tie hanger, haha). The new medal is on the left with ye olde Ice Breaker on the right (Ice Breaker being the three miler I ran in a blizzard last year). This little hanger won't work forever, but for now it's a good way to display my medals without having to build anything. I know I got more medals years ago when I made my first attempts to start running, but I don't know if I kept them, or where they'd be--sadly, I suspect I might have tossed them because I didn't think I was a "real" runner and didn't deserve them (despite having earned them?? Past self, why).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter