The Running Thread - 2018

Tuesday’s QOTD: my worst chafing experience was after my first full. Although that jog bra had given me zero issues before, the humidity and heat of Savannah, mixed in with my longest run ever, it became the perfect storm! I actually screamed in the shower, prompting my mom to rush in, thinking I had proved her right, that running that long would kill me. I had two smiley faces on my chest for weeks, if you catch my drift. I usually just use Vaseline or pre-tape known issues with some KT tape, and really haven’t had issues since.

Today’s QOTD: I’ve really struggled to lose weight since turning 40,even more so since turning 45. I’ve been doing WW not-so-seriously since April, down about 6 pounds. Would love to drop 15 before Dopey, but would be satisfied with 10. I’ve moved to the iTrackBites app (basically WW at a fraction of the cost), which works for me when I decide to work.

Wondering if we shouldn’t set up a running and weight loss thread to celebrate our victories and keep us accountable?

I'm back from vacation and I'm not even going to try to read all the pages I missed, LOL. It would take me half a day at least!

ATTQOTD: I don't diet per say but I changed my diet to vegetarianism 7 weeks ago. I'm working on getting the right amount of proteins from primarily plant-based sources and it's going well so far (knocking on wood while I'm typing this!).... I was worried that it would have a greater impact. Of course, I'm early in my first @DopeyBadger training plan. We'll have to see as things start to get hard (which is about to happen)!

ATQOTD:dieting- ugh! I have never tried a formal diet but try to watch what I eat from time to time. Consistent exercise and not overindulging with food (translation--desserts!) has worked relatively well. My daughter is home from college and working at an ice cream place, so the struggle with not overindulging is REAL this summer!!

I guess I am dieting in the sense I made some significant changes in my habits at the start of the year when I started running again. Mainly no alcohol and no fast food. But, beyond that, I've also made it a point avoiding red meat and sugary drinks and trying to include more greens and veggies. The goal was (and is) to try and get back down to my "running weight" as well as to provide sufficient fuel for the increased activity. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper. It's worked pretty well thus far.

A big plus is when I allow myself a break and splurge a little, I enjoy it a lot more. Case in point, the only time I have stepped foot in a fast food restaurant this year was on July 4 when I stopped by Whataburger after the brutal 10K I ran that morning. I didn't want anything to eat (in fact, I find the smell of grease really bothers me now) but that fountain coke was sooooo good.

ATTQOTD: I hate the word diet, in terms of restrictions. I believe in all things in moderation, including moderation. I am down a solid 15 pounds since the beginning of the year and I have done pretty well at staying here. I would like to drop 5-10 more, but more than that I just want my belly to go away. I gain weight first in my belly, then everywhere else, and I lose weight first everywhere else and lastly my belly. It's always the hardest part for me to lose. I have been working hard at changing my diet by incorporating more vegetables into my meals. I am not perfect. I have bad days. I drink more than I probably should. But the fact that I can lose 15 pounds and keep it off is a huge feat for me.

So no, I don't restrict what I eat. I love pizza.

@DopeyBadger @SarahDisney @TheHamm It looks like the HR settings in Garmin Connect are device dependent. I went in to check the same area for my 910XT and I had the additional options.

Looking at the features of the 935 I noticed a feature under Heart Rate labeled % HRR which the VA3 doesn't have:

View attachment 337669

Mystery solved. Thanks for the help.

Yes, definitely device dependent. I had a Forerunner 235. Yesterday I got a Vivoactive 3 in white + rose gold, almost 25% off for Prime Day and near-instant gratification with free 1-day delivery! Anyway, it doesn't have the HRR option for HR zones. At this point, I remember what my zones are, plus or minus 1 - 2 BPM, so I'm just not worrying about it. So far, it's really the only minus to the Vivoactive 3 compared to the Forerunner 235 for me, but it's only been a day and one run. :)

Yes, definitely device dependent. I had a Forerunner 235. Yesterday I got a Vivoactive 3 in white + rose gold, almost 25% off for Prime Day and near-instant gratification with free 1-day delivery! Anyway, it doesn't have the HRR option for HR zones. At this point, I remember what my zones are, plus or minus 1 - 2 BPM, so I'm just not worrying about it. So far, it's really the only minus to the Vivoactive 3 compared to the Forerunner 235 for me, but it's only been a day and one run. :)
I had been eyeing the 645 to replace my aging and flaky charging 220, but the price on the Vivoactive 3 for Prime Day was just too good. Between the Prime Day sale and the Amex deal for an additional 20% off, I got the Black/Gunmetal VA3 for $169.98... the only downside is that I ordered it after it had hit the Slickdeals front page, and Black/Gunmetal was on 3-5 weeks for delivery, so I won't get it for a while. My boss ordered one just a couple hours sooner and his was shipped out right away.

ATTQOTD:

I admittedly eat like a teenage boy. I really want to have more of a plan during Dopey training so I'm on the lookout for something that lets me eat (because I am a HUNGRY girl, no shame) but gives me the energy to perform the way I want. I say all of the time that I should weigh 400 lbs, but somehow I've been blessed with a metabolism that keeps that from happening. But, I'm pushing 40 and know it's all about to end! :)

ATTQOTD: I don't diet. I made a pretty serious lifestyle change about 3 years ago that included adding in exercise, got better about portion control and healthier eating, and moderated a lot of things. From that, I've lost about 70-75 pounds. I'd like to lose about 5-10 more, but I don't obsess over it. (I am debating whether they're worth tracking for.) This was a big deal for me because I have struggled with eating disorders in the past and so losing weight in a healthy way was a big deal. It's also why I have to be careful and watch how much attention I pay to any of this stuff.

I do tend to run a slight calorie deficit during a "normal" week, which means I can have the occasional cheat from moderation and still maintain. (I've been close to my current weight for a year.) Marathon training might be a small increase in running volume for me but probably not that much, we'll see how it goes.

QOTD: For todays topic I wanted to discuss running while on a diet. For those who have done it, what was the plan? What are some lessons you learned that you wish you knew before learning it the hard way? What worked vs did not work?

Running while on a diet is tough, and possibly not a great idea if you're truly training for an "A" race. You've got to be careful about underfueling, because underfueling has a tendency to lead to injuries due to taxing the system. Surviving instead of thriving.

I've dropped from 255 down to 155 over the years. I always considered it a lifestyle change more than a diet. A diet seemed temporary. A lifestyle change was more permanent. I went 255 down to 200 with mainly calorie restriction (about 100-300 deficit per day), but this was over the course of some time. I went from 200 down to 175 with calorie restriction and running back in 2012. When I started Hansons in 2015 (6 days per week instead of 3 days per week of running) I dropped from 175 to 165 without much change in diet except being more mindful of healthy whole food eating. From time to time, I've dropped down to 155-160.

The issue comes when I try and force myself down to 155-160. I tried on two occasions to train for an "A" race and simultaneously try and get my weight down to that 155-160 range again. Both times I either ended up falling flat on race day from what I though I could do (October 2016) or ending up injured not long after (January 2018). I was doing another calorie restriction again during my early Spring training and things just didn't feel right again. So I quickly pivoted to get the calories back up to neutral and worry more about good workouts, feeling good, and running fast. After 6 years of weighing myself nearly twice a day every day, I'm not checking the scale until after Chicago and am just going to keep eating food that makes me feel good and stay fast. For now, that means:

Breakfast - Oatmeal, Cherries, 4 eggs scrambled, clementine
Lunch - Whole Wheat Chicken Sandwich with mustard, clementine, organic brown rice, organic black beans, spinach salad with chicken/avacado/yogurt dressing
Post-Run - Smoothie consisting of 8 oz 1% milk, 4 oz water, ice, 1 scoop Promix Whey Protein from Organic Grass-fed cows from CA, 1 scoop Organic PB Fit
Dinner - Hello Fresh meal, Dove mini-bar, PB scoop from the jar
Snacks (if decide to eat something) - Pretzels, Popcorn, clementine, banana, or apple

If it's a LR day on the weekend, then add a PB Bagel+Honey+banana prior to the LR.

If it's a run shorter than 90 min, then no carbs during the run. If it's a run longer than 90 min, then Maurten Drink Mix 320.

I stay away from glycogen depletion runs (running with little to no carbs during or before a run longer than 120 min) because to this point I haven't needed it. I've taken my marathon down from 4:55 to the cusp of sub-3. If I feel I need to make that change, then I'll go down that path. But I'm happy with the system at this point.

QOTD: For todays topic I wanted to discuss running while on a diet. For those who have done it, what was the plan? What are some lessons you learned that you wish you knew before learning it the hard way? What worked vs did not work?

ATTQOTD: Wait?? I thought I was doing all this running so I would not have to diet??? But seriously, I have pretty much been the same size my whole adult life and I have never really "dieted". But I have been consistently active - mostly running - for many many years. I do enjoy eating (and drinking) and it would be tough for me to cut back on the stuff I love to eat and drink. That being said, I don't really eat sweets or desserts and for the most part, I stick to complex carbs and protein. Lifting weights over the year has helped balance all the cardio.

ATTQOTD:

Diet is a very difficult word for me. I've never followed anything like a restrictive food regimen in order to lose weight. When I began running I weighed 260 pounds. I combined my increase in physical activity with moderation in my food intake, but I have never followed anything close to a plan. I was able to lose about 80 pounds during the moderation days. For the past 3 years I've pretty much gone back to eating whatever I want, whenever I want, and in whatever quantities I desire (which is very not good, because I can eat wayyyyyy too much food). Needless to say, the scales haven't been so kind recently. The good news is I'm back to eating in moderation and starting to see some positive impact, both on the scale and in my running performance.

My big takeaway: I can eat food, exercise properly and lose weight; I can't eat all the food, gradually lose interest in exercising (because it's hard), and avoid gaining weight.

ATTQOTD: Before I started running, I was a bottomless pit who hated myself every time I shoved food into my mouth.
After I started running ... same.
The biggest mistake I made was thinking that running would help. It didn't. I wasn't inactive before I started running, and I think the increased calorie burn from running has probably been paired with an increased calorie intake.
Running has really had no impact on my food-related issues, so I do tend to separate the two in my head.

Everyday?

Pretty much!

Breakfast - Yes. On heavy mileage days (days with runs over 90 min), then I up the egg from 4 to 5.
Lunch - On non-run days (Monday), I don't eat the rice or beans. They are my calorie booster for runs. My smoothie is about 400 calories. The rice and beans are about 450-500 calories together. My low run days (easy 7 milers) are usually about 750-800 calories estimated burn.

If anyone needs a laugh, I just accidentally sent our Superintendent an email with an attachment from my mother! I was supposed to be sending him an emergency requisition to forward to our Agency CFO for approval. I want to crawl under my desk and die. I called his secretary and told her to stop him from forwarding it. Hopefully she stopped him in time. :eek::eek::eek:

Timely question for me. For the last two years I have followed a low carb low sugar regimen. I have to time my eating so that there is enough energy for a workout but does not impede my workout. However, I generally do not eat anything before early morning swims or runs.

I leveled off at around 162 and was there for quite some time. I started Tri training last summer and increased to 167 despite a smaller waist. I would like to get to 155 to improve some running times this fall and possibly to 150 for a half marathon in December. It is not easy balancing calorie reduction with a heavy workout schedule.

I have read that a 10 pound reduction roughly equates to 20 seconds per mile. Of course, there is a point where the weight loss becomes counter productive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter