• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: We have about a week to go to register for marathon weekend. Are you running any of the races? If so, which ones? Have you decided you are running but not sure which races yet? Anyone going to make a impulse decision?

Not this year, sadly. We did Dopey in January, and we want to do Star Wars weekend in 2019. That will be a 16 month gap between Run Disney races! :scared:

QOTD: We have about a week to go to register for marathon weekend. Are you running any of the races? If so, which ones? Have you decided you are running but not sure which races yet? Anyone going to make a impulse decision?

After Dopey this past January, I decided to take some time off from Marathon Weekend. That lasted all of about a month, before marathon FOMO set in. Right now, I'm vacillating back and forth between Goofy and "just" the marathon. Goofy will probably win out, because even though the half course is my least favorite of the weekend, why go for just one race?

I also may have company, too! DD20 has started training for a marathon and wants to run the Disney Marathon. It's still up in the air if she stays with me to save some $$$ or if she and her boyfriend make a vacation trip out of it, but it would be a lot of fun having her out there for her first marathon. Now to get her a proof of time...

ETA: More importantly, by not running Dopey I can fly in a little later in the week and extend my trip to allow for DATW and its associated Panda-monium!

ATTQOTD:
I'm running the self-named and non-sanctioned Tweedle Dumb challenge again in 2019, 10K and half marathon. It will be my second 10K and lucky 13th half marathon. I'll be sleeping during the 5K and out there cheering you on from the BC during the full!

QOTD: Do you wear your running shoes for anything other than running while they are still in your rotation as running shoes or your only pair?

I wear them around for a few days to break them in a little. Once they are in rotation, though, they are just for running. The more slick looking ones can have a life after retirement!

Maybe a 1% chance? I'm going on a training and diet tear between now and W&D. If all that goes too well, I might try the marathon.

No rD races for me until the Star Wars race next spring, and then likely a few more years before the next. Even for that one we will not be visiting WDW - just running the race. My youngest son wants to run it before he goes into the Navy, so we are making it happen.

We are doing a number of other things now that my boys have graduated for the next few years. WDW is probably out of the picture until the the 50th anniversary in 2021.

Goofy! DH is going to let the perfectly Dopey go, but he's been perfectly Goofy for such a long time. I'm not perfect at anything, but I'll be along for the ride, or "run."

ATTQOTD: Sadly not registering for marathon weekend this year.
Is there a "Booooo" button? It seems we'll miss a few fine folks next year.

Is there a "Booooo" button? It seems we'll miss a few fine folks next year.

:sad1: I'll be with you in spirit and will definitely be checking in. Plenty of runners who I'll be coaching through the weekend from afar.

The end of an era. So now, what can we do for fun to replace the @DopeyBadger prediction contest this year???

I was going to do a series of prediction contests on my Spring season, but then the injury put an end to that one. I'm sure we can come up with something. We'll have to see how Chicago goes, and then I'll know the direction I'm heading in next. But the multi-race aspect always made that prediction contest unique and interesting.

Panda Watch 2019.

:P Not sure I'll be able to endorse or provide a prediction contest game based around that idea.

ATTQOTD: I am planning to register for Goofy. My main objective is to just do the full - which will be my first full ever - but my wife and 2 college age daughters are doing the half and I want to join them for that fun. While I am sorta interested in doing the 10K, I really have no desire to do the 5K nor do I want to spend my vacation getting up at 3AM four days in a row. However, I purposely booked our stay coming in on Wednesday, so, I did leave the possibility of doing Dopey on the table, but the plan as of now is to register for Goofy.

So ... if anyone wants guaranteed entry to run the 2019 NYC Marathon with me and doesn't want to come to NY to do the same guaranteed entry program I'm doing ... they just announced a virtual marathon that you can run to get guaranteed entry. Limited space available:
https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/tcs-new-york-city-marathon-virtual-262m-and-5k-nov-1-4

Cost is $120 for non-NYRR members (which, btw, is less than I'm paying for my guaranteed entry as a NYRR member because I'm running 9 races, some of which aren't cheap). 6:30 time limit (verified through Strava). You get a hat and a medal.
If you want to run NYC with me and you're willing to run a virtual marathon in early November, this seems like a decent option.

ATTQOTD:
Late Nights &
Early Mornings &
Meet Ups &
Hurricane Hanna's &
Beach Club Parties &
Keels 10k Booze Stop &
McDonalds &
DATW &
Panda Face

I'LL BE THERE FOR ALL OF THAT AND MORE. Dopey here I come!

My youngest son wants to run it before he goes into the Navy
GO NAVY!

So ... if anyone wants guaranteed entry to run the 2019 NYC Marathon with me and doesn't want to come to NY to do the same guaranteed entry program I'm doing ... they just announced a virtual marathon that you can run to get guaranteed entry. Limited space available:
https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/tcs-new-york-city-marathon-virtual-262m-and-5k-nov-1-4

Cost is $120 for non-NYRR members (which, btw, is less than I'm paying for my guaranteed entry as a NYRR member because I'm running 9 races, some of which aren't cheap). 6:30 time limit (verified through Strava). You get a hat and a medal.
If you want to run NYC with me and you're willing to run a virtual marathon in early November, this seems like a decent option.
Oh man. But that means I am committing to another Marathon before even running my first Marathon but I gotta stick with my Marathon buddy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter