The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I don't have little ones anymore so I've been released from obligatory character meals. I am just not big on buffets or family style restaurants. If I was pulled kicking and screaming to one I'd go with Crystal Palace breakfast. I like the puffy french toast and mickey waffles.

I was the same way until the grandson came along. For his 1st birthday is was Chef Mickeys.

I may eat at Garden Grill in April. Only trick is that it's a 9:45 reservation and I'll probably need to leave for the airport on Magical Express at 12:00pm. I have accepted that I may have to cancel this one. I'm kind of hoping that showing up earlier might help them take pity on me.

It would be a nail biter for sure to make it back in time. Unless you are staying around the boardwalk, then maybe. The obvious answer is to just extend your trip lol.

5K PR today of 22:37. I wasn’t really expecting this, but was thrilled with the result! I was always a little bit suspicious of my previous best at this distance because I did it at a small race, so I figured it could’ve been a little short. And it was a bit of an outlier from my other 5K times when I thought I might’ve been in better shape. At any rate, it’s gone now. I ran it very controlled... possibly could’ve been a tad quicker but also could’ve pushed too much and blown up. Best news is no more 5Ks for a year.

It would be a nail biter for sure to make it back in time. Unless you are staying around the boardwalk, then maybe. The obvious answer is to just extend your trip lol.
I'm staying at French Quarter. My flight isn't until 3:00pm, but I know Magical Express likes to be early. I bought a 10 day ticket through my sister's work and it was cheaper than 9 days through other places. So I may just cancel the reservation.

One thing I HAVE to do each trip is ride Spaceship Earth. Since we take multiple trips, I’m not too upset if we miss a ride but I have to do SE.

Love me some SSE as I did my first CP there. Always a most do.

For character meals we have done Cape May, Tusker House, Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, CRT, Chef Mickeys, And Garden Grill. We went a lot when I was a kid and I did a lot of them during my CP. I love Pooh at Crystal but think it is really loud in there. 1900 is my favorite right now but I want to try Bob Voyage. Hoping to have kids the next time we go as it will be easier to justify the price.

First 10-miler is in the books!

Pretty hilly course, and I still haven’t figured out the right mix of hydration/fuel/stretching to avoid the crazy cramps I had in my calves the last half of the race, but I finished strong and beat my goal time(by five seconds, but that still counts, right?)

And YES, they were still serving cheese grits at the finish line(welcome to Kentucky, y’all). And they were GLORIOUS.

Attqotd belated: Tangled breakfast had the best food. I liked the Tusker House too. Plaza Inn at DL was maybe my fave but I know that doesn't apply to this question :)

ATTQOTD: Favorite character meals vary in my family depending who you ask and what age they’re at when you ask.

Me: CRT and Akersus
DH: Tusker House
DDs: Chef Mickey

The only ones we have not done are Garden Grill and Trattoria... And now that the kids are older (and rolling their eyes at mom who wants a picture) and that we pay OOP instead of DxDDP, it might never happen.

Regarding back and forth vs loop, my last 10k race was 2 times back and forth... Boring but you can predict the hill... And I pitty the few who did a Full that way: 8 times back and forth!

ATTFFQOTD

We did three character meals on our WDW visit in October:
  • Akershus Princess Breakfast - managed to make this a PPO ADR before I even knew PPO was a thing. It was fine, the buffet food was interesting (in a good way for me, not so good for picky eaters). The family style food was ok, standard fare. I'm not a big fan of the family style serving as it is such a limited choice. Princess interactions were good. saw a big cockroach. Expensive for what it was but did help get us on the Frozen ride without too much waiting. Overall experience clouded by the sadly defunct Princess Breakfast at Ariel's Grotto at DCA... 6/10
  • Minnie's Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Cafe, Beach Club - we were staying at BC and this day was one I had planned for water parks, so no early start required! I really enjoyed this breakfast, good variety of food and reasonable character interactions. It got even better when I found the fixins station for the Mickey Waffles, which now makes this a must do dining experience if we ever go back - 8/10. THIS is how you Mickey Waffle:
Mickey Waffle.jpg

• 'Ohana Breakfast with Stitch - had high hopes for this as it is in high demand, but was left a little disappointed. Stitch is a family favourite and we always see him at the character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel at the Disneyland Resort. He is awesome there, roaming around, great interactions. Such a shame he is only a photo op at 'Ohana's. Once again not a fan of the family style serving, though that bread at the tart was awesome. We ordered more waffles, they eventually brought them out but no syrup... 5/10...
We've done all the character dining at Disneyland, favourite is the one at PPH. The Princess meal really was a great experience especially with all the pageantry as each Princess was announced. Goofy's Kitchen is OK, Minnie's at Plaza Inn as an awesome range of characters but is a little chaotic and stressful, and the one at Storytellers Cafe at Grand Californian had excellent food.

Quick race report - ran a St Patrick’s Day 5k+ yesterday (it was 3.33 miles). Hilly, and cool temps - but the sun was out.

And I PRd - 28:00 - according to my Garmin anyway, since my chip time was for the longer distance...

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

ATTFFQOTD: We've done Akershus (dinner), CRT (breakfast), and 1900 Park Fare (breakfast). I can't comment on the food, since we get special food, but in terms of the characters ... Akershus and CRT were good, but we prefer the park meet&greets. 1900PF is a skip (although I've heard dinner is much better because it's Cinderella characters).
I really want to do Crystal Palace (because Pooh) and Tusker House (because everyone raves about it), but I don't know when I'll get to those.

Unrelated question: Does anyone have experience with crowd anxiety and large races? It just hit me a few days ago that my race next week is 25,000+ people. I think I'll be okay, but ... I'm still a little nervous and wouldn't mind some tips.

5K PR today of 22:37. I wasn’t really expecting this, but was thrilled with the result! I was always a little bit suspicious of my previous best at this distance because I did it at a small race, so I figured it could’ve been a little short. And it was a bit of an outlier from my other 5K times when I thought I might’ve been in better shape. At any rate, it’s gone now. I ran it very controlled... possibly could’ve been a tad quicker but also could’ve pushed too much and blown up. Best news is no more 5Ks for a year.

Congrats! It's funny you should mention your suspicion on your previous PR. Mine always nagged at me for the same reason. I was glad to replace with a new one. It was only marginally faster, but I was several years older, so it made me feel even better!

Unrelated question: Does anyone have experience with crowd anxiety and large races? It just hit me a few days ago that my race next week is 25,000+ people. I think I'll be okay, but ... I'm still a little nervous and wouldn't mind some tips.

No real tips, just that it’s OK to be slightly overwhelmed! Just take it all in, follow the crowd, get where you need to be early so you don’t stress and then run your race that you trained for!

Yeah, it’s a lot of people but the cool thing is they all have the same goal in common as you - finish the race!

I like to get to the corral early and stake out a spot along a fence. I pop in my earbuds and listen to some music and ignore everyone around me and zone out. I like the organization of corrals better than a free for all mob of people at a starting line.

ATTFFQOTD:

They'll arrive in stages and leave in stages so you'll never feel the extreme. Once you get situated for your start you'll be surrounded by all types of runners with different levels of nervousness. Take it all in and chat it up if the opportunity arises. Think of the start of the race as a crowd exiting a Yankee's game and that number [racers] will dwarf the throngs of fans you're surrounded by.

They'll arrive in stages and leave in stages so you'll never feel the extreme. Once you get situated for your start you'll be surrounded by all types of runners with different levels of nervousness. Take it all in and chat it up if the opportunity arises. Think of the start of the race as a crowd exiting a Yankee's game and that number [racers] will dwarf the throngs of fans you're surrounded by.

I just hope that the line for security at the race isn't as bad as the line for security at Yankee Stadium ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter