• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The "R" word and Ben Stiller's New Movie

Has anybody seen the thread on the CB? I've been trying to explain why it is offensive, but I don't seem to be having much luck (not sure anybody is even reading my posts). How can I explain it better?
I posted on it, but I don't think explaining is going to get anywhere with a lot of people. There's also a whole thread going strong on the CB where people are defending their right to use the handicapped stalls in restrooms where a lot of people posting don't understand (I'm not saying the handicapped stalls are reserved for people with disabilities, but someone doesn't get it if they are posting that they use the handicapped stall because they feel it's cleaner and that they feel a person with a disability who is waiting to use the handicapped stall should just use another stall if the poster is in it).

The movie has actually gotten a lot of good reviews, which means more people will read the reviews and end up watching it. Even though it is aimed at a younger audience, kids will end up seeing it.
The biggest problem I can see with it is that it 'normalizes' the word and gives it the meaning that is used for it in that movie. Because it's being used in a hit movie, it becomes a 'cool' word to use. Many of the people using the word only will know the meaning used in the film and won't even know they are using a word that is offensive. Swear words were "normalized" by use in movies and on TV like that. There have been studies that show children and young people who see a lot of films using those words think that the majority of people use those words on a regular basis - even if their own family/friends don't use them. To 'fit in' or be cool, they start using the same words. Because they are using the word, their friends start using it too and it becomes common (sort of a self fulfilling model).

That's what I find sad and disgusting about the whole thing. The writers/producers/actors did have a right to use that word. They also had a right to use other words or to change the situation. They chose to do what they did to shock people and make money.
They chose to use it, knowing full well what the meanings were and that some of the meanings would be demeaning to other people. It's kind of like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, "Robbery" in a bank or "Bomb/Highjack" in an airport. There are consequences to some words.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267891/
The Ringer

Another stupid movie meant for people who would find shooting cats funny.

I am not a fan of Johnny Knoxville's and wouldn't have ever gotten it for myself. But DH ordered it from Netflix, and I ended up watching it with him. I did not find the movie offensive, in fact, I thought it portrayed the The Special Olympics and its participants in a very positive light (even if not always Knoxville). Hopefully it gave some of its target audience a little different view on the disabled, that would be a good thing.

The Farelly brothers actually consulted closely with Special Olympics when making "The Ringer", and had their endorsement, both on the script and on the actual movie. The cast included several disabled actors as well.

I just think it does a great disservice to the makers of the "Ringer", who took great pains to not offend, to compare their movie to "Tropic Thunder", whose makers obviously didn't:confused:

Just my 2 cents.

Sue, as always, has shown great insight. I have followed this issue on several of the support boards I belong to. The response has been from indifference to righteous indignation. Sadly, it has led to fighting between the members of those boards so even in a subgroup who have first hand experience with mental retardation there are disagreements. I personally have no problem saying my son has profound mental retardation because there is no better diagnosis out there. He is not developmentally delayed. His problems are past that. However the term "retard" is meant as a insult. People may protest and fall back on their right to freedom of speech but an insult it remains. Can we do anything about it? I don't think so. There can be marches for civil rights, gay rights, women's rights because these are people who are able to join together and work consistently toward a goal which is something our kids will never be able to do. Karen

I am not a fan of Johnny Knoxville's and wouldn't have ever gotten it for myself. But DH ordered it from Netflix, and I ended up watching it with him. I did not find the movie offensive, in fact, I thought it portrayed the The Special Olympics and its participants in a very positive light (even if not always Knoxville). Hopefully it gave some of its target audience a little different view on the disabled, that would be a good thing.

The Farelly brothers actually consulted closely with Special Olympics when making "The Ringer", and had their endorsement, both on the script and on the actual movie. The cast included several disabled actors as well.

I just think it does a great disservice to the makers of the "Ringer", who took great pains to not offend, to compare their movie to "Tropic Thunder", whose makers obviously didn't:confused:

Just my 2 cents.

I am a fan of Johnny Knoxville. Yes, I like juvenille humor :laughing: . What can I say. I have not seen the entire Ringer movie, just little clips. The clips did seem offensive, but if the entire movie did show respect for such a great organization (special olympics) then I stand corrected about my comments.

I am a fan of Johnny Knoxville. Yes, I like juvenille humor :laughing: . What can I say. I have not seen the entire Ringer movie, just little clips. The clips did seem offensive, but if the entire movie did show respect for such a great organization (special olympics) then I stand corrected about my comments.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the makers of "The Ringer" did take the Special Olympics recommendations into consideration when making this movie.

Personally, I didn't like it (The Ringer), but I thought it had a decent moral in the end..... kind of like Shallow Hal (which I did like). It's been so long since I saw it, I couldn't even tell you if they used the "R" word or not, although I would think it very possible they did. But since the whole movie basically was showing the growing awareness by Knoxville, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

I am a huge Zoolander fan, and was hoping this movie would be in the same vein, so I am very disappointed. What were they thinking?:confused3

Sue, as always, has shown great insight. I have followed this issue on several of the support boards I belong to. The response has been from indifference to righteous indignation. Sadly, it has led to fighting between the members of those boards so even in a subgroup who have first hand experience with mental retardation there are disagreements. I personally have no problem saying my son has profound mental retardation because there is no better diagnosis out there. He is not developmentally delayed. His problems are past that. However the term "retard" is meant as a insult. People may protest and fall back on their right to freedom of speech but an insult it remains. Can we do anything about it? I don't think so. There can be marches for civil rights, gay rights, women's rights because these are people who are able to join together and work consistently toward a goal which is something our kids will never be able to do. Karen
Thank you.

Mental Retardation is still a medical term which is in use. There is a standard system of coding conditions/disease called the ICD (International Classification of Diseases). The ICD codes list specific sets of specifications/symptoms etc, that can be coded with that specific code for insurance and for diagnosing that condition. The whole set of codes currently in effect are the ICD 9 codes (the 9th revision of the codes since they began.) The ICD codes are currently under revision, but there are ICD 10 codes for some conditions, including Mental Retardation. There are a number of codes for "Mental Retardation" because, as Karen mentioned, sometimes that is what it is - there is no better word to fit the situation.

Some people have written that Mental Retardation is an outdated phrase and is not used any more. I wanted to point out that it is a valid phrase for medical use. That is not the meaning that we are talking about abuse of though.

I just think it does a great disservice to the makers of the "Ringer", who took great pains to not offend, to compare their movie to "Tropic Thunder", whose makers obviously didn't

Just my 2 cents.

I did rent this movie because people on my Down syndrome board said it wasn't so bad and was trying to make a point. And yes, Special Olympics were involved. They said the "r_t__d" word a few times and the last time it was said Johnny Knoxville told his uncle (or whoever he was) not to say that word again and that those guys are his friends (the guys who did have special needs were helping him to win). So they were trying to say it wasn't nice to say. Would I watch it again, I doubt it. But I did want to see it once since it was endorsed by special olympics. Tropic Thunder was offensive on purpose.

Sandra

I couldn't find the thread Sue posted on but I did find one of the threads. My first post was okay but I probably went too far on the second. They just don't get it do they? I pray that they are never in the position that they have to get it but it would be great if just one person tried to understand. No one should be in the position where they hurt someone else. I'm angry and frustrated. Wouldn't it be great if someone had the magical words that made our kids' hurt go away? You know, I can live with my childrens' medical issues which isn't easy. It's coping day after day with medical people, educational people, therapists, insurance companies and medical supply people who just don't care. Karen

First I do not think it is fair for anyone to fully comment on a movie unless they have seen it. Taking things out of context is recipe for disaster.

That said I believe there are far worse words out there....you cannot just go banning words. That goes against the 1st Ammendment and what this country is founded on.....FREEDOM

Based on the quotations listed on the website you linked to it appears the R word is not directed at a "mentally handicapped? person but instead used in a demeaning manner. I think there is a huge difference there too.

I don't want to further speculate about something I have not seen.

As others have said this is not about "banning" a word, but for crying out loud, please don't encourage its use. You are right we have a wonderful system here based on Freedom (of which many generations of my family have served to enact and preserve since it's inception). But some of our Freedoms also have consequences and the problem with this movie is that Ben Stiller's character is giving permission to use the R-word to people who do not understand the consequences of using it. That being the hurtfullness of that word to a portion of our communities who are least able to stand up to its use. As far as your Freedom to use this word goes, of course that is your choice, but I feel that you have probably already "banned" some other words from your personal use such as racial slurs that were once part of and accepted in our culture.

I have returned from the CB with my tail between my legs. I am only hurting myself trying to get someone to understand. I have now been told I live a humorless and dreary life. I am apparently wanting them to agree with me but for some reason what they post isn't trying to get me to agree with them. My head is spinning. I had actually avoided the CB for the past few months for this very reason. I guess I'm not cut out to be a good public advocate. Hopefully, I do better in private. Since intention doesn't come over well in a written response I will be upfront. This has been uttered with frustration, sarcasm and resignation. Karen :confused3 :sad2:

:hug:
I have returned from the CB with my tail between my legs. I am only hurting myself trying to get someone to understand. I have now been told I live a humorless and dreary life. I am apparently wanting them to agree with me but for some reason what they post isn't trying to get me to agree with them. My head is spinning. I had actually avoided the CB for the past few months for this very reason. I guess I'm not cut out to be a good public advocate. Hopefully, I do better in private. Since intention doesn't come over well in a written response I will be upfront. This has been uttered with frustration, sarcasm and resignation. Karen :confused3 :sad2:
:hug:

chin up, you are a great public advocate. If you inform one person, educate one person or changed one life for the better then you have improved the world. It is not uncommon for people to attack the messenger. There is a name for it in Logic. I have learned a lot on this board from people like you.

Big hugs and chocolates.:grouphug: :cheer2:

Hey Karen :hug: I haven't seen the thread you're talking about, but I definitely know what you mean.

I agree with the others, it only takes a spark, change one person's attitude hopefully they will do the same. Also, sometimes it can take a while for stuff to sink in, they might start to come around later. Our local support group is going to try to approach things from the r-word point of view and kinda let the movie go. Not by anymeans to be taken as an endorsement, just a shifting of focus to real target. Hopefully more of the groups can come together and present a unified front on this battle. Everyone have a great day.

Mental Retardation is still a medical term which is in use......

Some people have written that Mental Retardation is an outdated phrase and is not used any more. I wanted to point out that it is a valid phrase for medical use.

Thank you for that update Sue. I am an old lady so in real life I honestly have never heard any one use the term "retard" not have I heard "retarded" used as an insult. Sheltered life? I'm actually glad of that.

I had no idea that it was becoming fairly commonplace. The children of friends have varying degrees of mental retardation - a term which the parents use. But these are parent who are 55+. So I truly did not understand why some people recoiled at even spelling out the word when my friends use the term "mental retardation" with respect to their children that they love very, very much (as do I).

But these are parent who are 55+. So I truly did not understand why some people recoiled at even spelling out the word when my friends use the term "mental retardation" with respect to their children that they love very, very much (as do I).

There is nothing wrong with saying "mentally retarded" or "mental retardation". "Retarded" by itself is not the proper term. However, when not used as slang, I still don't get upset by it. As long as it isn't used negatively I am ok. I do not use the word at all for my son because of what the word have been turned into. And a lot of schools have moved away from those terms as well. I know my son's school does not use that. I can't remember what they use though. I am only offended when the words are used as slang. I usually don't spell it out because 1) I HATE it because of how it is often used and 2) I am afraid it might be blocked on some boards. I know it is blocked on the Down syndrome board I go on.

Sandra

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter