• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

What kind of food do you like (or would you like to experiment?) What is your budget? :)

In the area I am a big fan of Stash Café (polish, not expensive), Bevo (amazing pizza) or Mangiafoco (italian, amazing burrata & charcuteries). "Frites, Alors!" has great poutine.

Want to try dishes specific to Canada. Wouldn't like to spend a whole lot of money, but anywhere between $8-15. I read online to try poutine and beaver tails. Also, what is a good dessert place? We love our sweets! :)

Want to try dishes specific to Canada. Wouldn't like to spend a whole lot of money, but anywhere between $8-15. I read online to try poutine and beaver tails. Also, what is a good dessert place? We love our sweets! :)

For poutine in this area I would recommend Frites, Alors! (There is another poutine restaurant in the area but I have never tried it). It's in some kind of food court but there should be enough seatings. While the technique used for their fries is from Belgium, the cheese curds are from Quebec and the sauce us typical poutine sauce and it's honestly one of the best poutines I've had in Montreal. DH and I usually order one big poutine and split it. If I remember correctly they are between 8 and 12$ depending on the condiments you want (cause you can add bacon and stuff like that but IMO there is nothing like an original poutine).

Beaver Tails (Queues de Castor) is not far away. It's only a counter though, so be prepares to walk around. The Maple "queue de castor" is my favorite. :D The beavertails might feel big after a poutine (it's like eating a donut) I suggest you order 1 beavertail for 2 ppl. I would expect to pay between 4 and 6$ for one beavertail.

One of my closest friends is currently visiting her family in Saguenay and just sent me nice pictures from La Baie that I should be able to share with you later today.

For poutine in this area I would recommend Frites, Alors! (There is another poutine restaurant in the area but I have never tried it). It's in some kind of food court but there should be enough seatings. While the technique used for their fries is from Belgium, the cheese curds are from Quebec and the sauce us typical poutine sauce and it's honestly one of the best poutines I've had in Montreal. DH and I usually order one big poutine and split it. If I remember correctly they are between 8 and 12$ depending on the condiments you want (cause you can add bacon and stuff like that but IMO there is nothing like an original poutine).

Beaver Tails (Queues de Castor) is not far away. It's only a counter though, so be prepares to walk around. The Maple "queue de castor" is my favorite. :D The beavertails might feel big after a poutine (it's like eating a donut) I suggest you order 1 beavertail for 2 ppl. I would expect to pay between 4 and 6$ for one beavertail.

Thanks for the suggestions! It all sounds very yummy! :thanks:

I have been checking to see i what stateroom I’m going to get every day for the last couple weeks. Someday soon it will happen. Read where someone got their stateroom for the transatlantic. In 21 cruises I only rolled the dice one other time. Soon we will get our stateroom.

I have been checking to see i what stateroom I’m going to get every day for the last couple weeks. Someday soon it will happen. Read where someone got their stateroom for the transatlantic. In 21 cruises I only rolled the dice one other time. Soon we will get our stateroom.

It shouldn't be too long.

I got our rooms 2 9A's. I would have preffered deck 2. Were on deck 5 above the WD theatre. I'm sure the noise will be a 10 out of 10 between 6 and 9. Thankfully we won't be sleeping at that time. My last room was above the Oceeneers club. It wasn't bad except for one night when they left the music on until 0130. I did get chocolate covered strawberries for that. I can't remember ever having a quite room on the Magic or Wonder. Theres always creaking, cracking, flapping, Popping, slamming doors.... you name it. On our Alaska cruise cruise the popping would start at one end of the ceiling and go to other....over and over again. It sounded like popcorn popping.
I pack ear plugs, melatonin, unisonm and wine. It does the trick.

I got our rooms 2 9A's. I would have preffered deck 2. Were on deck 5 above the WD theatre. I'm sure the noise will be a 10 out of 10 between 6 and 9. Thankfully we won't be sleeping at that time. My last room was above the Oceeneers club. It wasn't bad except for one night when they left the music on until 0130. I did get chocolate covered strawberries for that. I can't remember ever having a quite room on the Magic or Wonder. Theres always creaking, cracking, flapping, Popping, slamming doors.... you name it. On our Alaska cruise cruise the popping would start at one end of the ceiling and go to other....over and over again. It sounded like popcorn popping.
I pack ear plugs, melatonin, unisonm and wine. It does the trick.

It might not be too bad the hours 6-9 you will either be at dinner or the show. I just check mine again and still nothing for me and I’m on the nyc to Quebec cruise. I never had a noisy stateroom on any of my Disney cruises. But I have only rolled the dice one other time and got lucky that time.

It might not be too bad the hours 6-9 you will either be at dinner or the show. I just check mine again and still nothing for me and I’m on the nyc to Quebec cruise. I never had a noisy stateroom on any of my Disney cruises. But I have only rolled the dice one other time and got lucky that time.
All the creaking and popping is just age. I don't think picking your room can remedy that I may be overly sensitive to it. A dripping faucet or snoring will put over the edge. My neighbor has been jack hammering his patio all day and I'm about to lose my mind. I've only picked my room on a couple of cruises. I've never had a bad room. Actually several times I've been upgraded to the highest category. 5A VGT, 10A IGT or 9A OGT. I even got a secret porthole room when I booked an IGT on our 12 day Iceland cruise. I can't really complain. Given a choice though I would choose deck 2 over deck 5. I'm sure most people would like the 9A. That's why it cost more.

Thanks for the pictures and the terrific information. I will be doing the NYC to Québec cruise and I wanted to know if there are any restrictions on bringing food back through customs. Maple products, cheese products, beaver tails all sound delicious and I'll want to bring them home. Thanks for all the help.

Your BeaverTails may be a bit dry. :P

I think you'll have no problem bringing back Maple Syrup and Cheese Products. I think as long as it's not meat or plants, you'll be fine.

By the way, for those of you who would wonder what Queues de Castor/BeaverTails are...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...iews-Queues_de_Castor-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

(Great. Now I want one!) My favorite are No.1 (Sugar Cinnamon), No.3 (Maple) & No. 8 (Chocolate & Banana). :P

No. 10 is Make-Your-Own!!!

p.s.: It's been my pleasure. I'm hoping all of your will flood me with pictures when you are here or when you come back! :)

For those looking for the Beaver Tails, there is also a kiosk at the boardwalk area of our Halifax port stop. Yum!

We are doing the DSL from Quebec to NYC. Staying at the Hilton Quebec. Where would be the best place (cost and convenience to the hotel) to buy bulk of water bottles to bring on the ship?
We will be traveling with a 6 yo. Any recommendation on things to see/ do in Quebec that would entertain that age and be pleasant for adults? We will be in Quebec a day before boarding.
Any recommendations or things to avoid with kids at any of these ports?

Your BeaverTails may be a bit dry. :P

I think you'll have no problem bringing back Maple Syrup and Cheese Products. I think as long as it's not meat or plants, you'll be fine.

By the way, for those of you who would wonder what Queues de Castor/BeaverTails are...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...iews-Queues_de_Castor-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

(Great. Now I want one!) My favorite are No.1 (Sugar Cinnamon), No.3 (Maple) & No. 8 (Chocolate & Banana). :P

No. 10 is Make-Your-Own!!!

p.s.: It's been my pleasure. I'm hoping all of your will flood me with pictures when you are here or when you come back! :)
Beavertail.jpg
We had the number 6. It was AMAZING! We drool over the thought of it all the time.

We are doing the DSL from Quebec to NYC. Staying at the Hilton Quebec. Where would be the best place (cost and convenience to the hotel) to buy bulk of water bottles to bring on the ship?
We will be traveling with a 6 yo. Any recommendation on things to see/ do in Quebec that would entertain that age and be pleasant for adults? We will be in Quebec a day before boarding.
Any recommendations or things to avoid with kids at any of these ports?

For the bottles of water: possibly "L'Intermarché" (grocery store) or the "Pharmaprix" (drugstore) that are more or less a 5 min walk from the Hotel.

Activities in Quebec City for kids and pleasant for adults: "Aquarium du Québec"? The "Promenade des gouverneurs" could be nice if your 6 yo likes to walk and is good with stairs. Unfortunately, "La Cour Arrière du Festibière" will be closed in September. If you have a car, they recently opened Bora Park, which is an interior waterpark: https://www.valcartier.com/fr/activite/parc-aquatique-interieur/

What to avoid with kids: I would use the Funicular a lot in order to avoid the steep hills in Quebec. Other than that, it's hard to tell. My province is quite safe so there are no specific area to avoid... As for excursion, I'm sure you can already tell what your child can and cannot do. :)

Can you explain more about the Funicular? Does it come in near the port?
Can Tea at Chateau Frontenac be booked outside of the excursions? The walking tour includes Tea but doesn't look like a full Tea.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter