The most beautiful US state?

It's a tie between California and Colorado. Both are incredibly beautiful!! I love Colorado's breathtaking mountains and I love California's beautiful beaches and Disneyland! I love them both so much!

ETA: Fixed so I would be more clear and wouldn't sound like a moron! ;)

Last edited:
I love new York state we have the best of both worlds with a big city and then lakes and mountains two hours north. it's a must do for anyone that comes to the northeast

It's a tie between California and Colorado. Both are incredibly beautiful!! Colorado has the mountains, while California has beautiful beaches! Love them both!

Uh - California has mountains. The highest point in California is higher than anything in Colorado.

stelprdb5402290.jpg

Uh - California has mountains. The highest point in California is higher than anything in Colorado.

stelprdb5402290.jpg

Yeah, but PP also gave you credit for your beaches, which honestly are pretty average. So, call it a wash ;)

My favorites are California and Maine so far. I haven't been to a few - like Oregon - that will probably move up the list once I visit.

Michigan. The UP is stunningly beautiful. I think Colorado is gorgeous too. I have a friend who lives there and posts pics all the time of her and her dog hiking in the mountains. Gorgeous land.

I was a travel agent for 15 years and been all over!
The entire United States is amazingly beautiful.
I had tears of amazement in each and ever state (except Alabama and Arkansas because I havent been there yet lol)
Given the chance though I will retire in coastal Maine

Arizona:

The Grand Canyon
The Painted Desert with it's multicolored terrain.
El Capitan (also called Agathla Peak)
Sedona - the land of red rocks & buttes.
Monument Valley - (straddles UT & AZ) Valley of the Gods, the "Mittens." Watch the scenery where Forest Gump stops running and decides to go home (although that is technically more UT. Watch a John Ford western.

Arizona:

The Grand Canyon
The Painted Desert with it's multicolored terrain.
El Capitan (also called Agathla Peak)
Sedona - the land of red rocks & buttes.
Monument Valley - (straddles UT & AZ) Valley of the Gods, the "Mittens." Watch the scenery where Forest Gump stops running and decides to go home (although that is technically more UT. Watch a John Ford western.

Add Horseshoe Bend to that list. It's an amazing sight.

I've been to 49 of the 50 (have not yet been to Alaska), and quite honestly I've found beauty in nearly all of them. The ones I love the most are: Arizona (the Grand Canyon is the #1 most mind-blowing thing I've ever seen), California, Hawaii, Vermont, and Maine.

If I could only pick one, however, in my opinion California offers the greatest number of different regions, due in large part to its size and shape, and therefore I'd choose it.

I loved CO, the Rockies are breath taking.

I do like my state Mass. Beaches & mountains, with Fall it does get pretty colorful.

stelprdb5402290.jpg

California has mountains? Say what!?! And to think all of my flights over California, I thought those were hills!! :rolleyes:

I thought we were listing things that we liked in each state. I must not have been clear in my response. I like Colorado for Colorado's mountains. I like California for California's beaches. Although, your interesting geography factoid about California beating any Colorado mountain height is something that I wasn't aware of.

Sheesh, with the replies that I've been getting to my postings, the people of the DISboards must think I'm a complete idiot!:p

California has mountains? Say what!?! And to think all of my flights over California, I thought those were hills!! :rolleyes:

I thought we were listing things that we liked in each state. I must not have been clear in my response. I like Colorado for Colorado's mountains. I like California for California's beaches. Although, your interesting geography factoid about California beating any Colorado mountain height is something that I wasn't aware of.

Sheesh, with the replies that I've been getting to my postings, the people of the DISboards must think I'm a complete idiot!:p

You mean "My dad can beat up your dad" isn't an adult response? Seriously though, I have been to many a mountainous are here in California, and have seen some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere on the planet. The photo I linked was of Mt. Whitney, which is located on the border of Inyo National Forest and Sequoia National Park. Granted it was named after a man who insulted John Muir as an "ignorant sheepherder" for suggesting that Yosemite Valley (now there's a sight) was formed by glaciation. Turns out Muir was right.

I suppose my issue with the way this thread is going is that people are ticking off specific places. I don't know if there's really any way to quantify whether an entire state is the most beautiful. I mean - I live in California and have traveled all over the state. I've seen the forests, the coast, the mountains, the desert, and the valleys. I can drive through the Central Valley and think "meh". I can look out my window and see the Marin Headlands in the distance. Someone in Southern California might look out the window and see the Hollywood Freeway. I work in Silicon Valley and frankly it's not much to look at. Drive 30 miles to Santa Cruz and you can be surrounded by old growth redwoods.

If there's any place where I'd say "man this is beautiful" regardless of where I was in the state, it would be Hawaii. The look out the window landing at the reef runway at HNL is quite a sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter