The Magic is Back - Share your Experience! Superthread

Quick entrance report this morning- M&F first access just off the 5 not open at 7:45
Sign at the second entrance past Ball Rd said parking structure would open at 7:45& it was open. We did not park there so I don’t know if they were letting cars in then.

Park gates for Disneyland opened at 8:30 but rides not yet open in New Orleans square. Esplanade pretty empty until 8:25 then started to fill up for both parks.

We went yesterday and the ONLY reason we had fun and it did not feel like a total waste was because of all the suggestions made here. Go super early, park at Anaheim hiyrl in the esplanade by 8.15 , inside Disney land around 8.30. We did galaxy’s edge first as my family had not seen it.MF was 5 mins . Oh yes got a great boarding pass ( 30) at 7 am . Then Snow White , alice, toad splash and space before 12. We had a savis reservation at 1.30
around 11 am it started to become a bit crazy , parts of the park seem empty but the rest was 😳. The wait times kept climbing up.
we actually left (!) around 3.30 .it was wayyy over crowded in most areas . I literally got the chills glancing towards NOS.
we are local and have stopped going except when there is a special event.
i spent 5 hours getting this reservation and inmho not worth it, I know that we were unlucky on going the first day of increased capacity and wish we had time to rethink. And yes the usual moaning about mugginess ( very rare here ) and masks .

So what is the entrance situation like if you are coming in via DTD (at the end by DLH) in the morning? I'm considering staying at the new Westin in a couple weeks so we would be walking up Disneyland Drive from Katella. I'm assuming that means going through that security check point? Do you end up having to get in the tram area lines for park entry or what?

So what is the entrance situation like if you are coming in via DTD (at the end by DLH) in the morning? I'm considering staying at the new Westin in a couple weeks so we would be walking up Disneyland Drive from Katella. I'm assuming that means going through that security check point? Do you end up having to get in the tram area lines for park entry or what?

Not sure when that entrance opens. Anyone know? I'll try it this weekend if it opens before 9am.

Does anyone know at what point DL can increase ride capacity?

Under the current guidelines they can't increase capacity. So unless the state revises the theme park guidelines before June 15th when the color tier system is dropped along with most restrictions, then June 15th is when capacity can increase.

Reading some of your replies is scary....a few weeks back it sounded like an absolute paradise with all the space in the world to roam. Now it sounds like it's a free for all. We plan on going with our 2.6 year old so obviously won'g be clamoring for the "thrill" rides. We'll most likely be hanging out a lot on Main Street, Fantasyland, and Toon Town. Realistically, we'll probably only be going on rides like Small World (and probably multiple times), Dumbo, Carousel, the train that goes around the park, and whatever other rides in Toon Town or Fantasyland that she can go on. Would you say that the crowds that you did encounter were mainly in the lines for the popular rides or where there a lot of crowds in other places too?

Reading some of your replies is scary....a few weeks back it sounded like an absolute paradise with all the space in the world to roam. Now it sounds like it's a free for all. We plan on going with our 2.6 year old so obviously won'g be clamoring for the "thrill" rides. We'll most likely be hanging out a lot on Main Street, Fantasyland, and Toon Town. Realistically, we'll probably only be going on rides like Small World (and probably multiple times), Dumbo, Carousel, the train that goes around the park, and whatever other rides in Toon Town or Fantasyland that she can go on. Would you say that the crowds that you did encounter were mainly in the lines for the popular rides or where there a lot of crowds in other places too?

It's not really that there are "crowds." It just feels like there is nothing else to do but ride rides and EVERYONE is trying to ride the rides all at the same time. In addition, they have placed tables literally everywhere so no matter where you go, there are people everywhere. You will be waiting a long time for even basic rides like Small World, the railroad, Dumbo, etc. Just about the only walk on we had was Teacups. It just feels like you spend most of the day waiting. Honestly, keep your expectations low and you will be fine. Just expect everything to take twice as long as you think it should.

I made a reservation for June 9, as it's after Avengers Campus opens, but before the 15th, thinking it'd be smart to go before a theoretical return to full capacity.

Was this a bad idea??

Just a few things to share before I head to bed. After 2 days of a 5 day park hopper, the crowds do seem to have picked up with the increase to 35% capacity. Fantasyland and NOS can be difficult to walk through at times. Queues are closed and people are asked to return in 20 minutes when they literally run out of space for the queue. I saw this happen with Pirates, HM, and Mr. Toad. I thought I heard it with ROTR too, but not 100% certain...at the time there was only room for people to walk by the queue single file in each direction.

If you’re mobile ordering and the wait time is far out, it’s worth strolling by the location to see if they’ll push up your pick up time. I witnessed them doing this for guests at a few locations including the Mint Julep Bar. It won’t happen all the time, but sometimes they hit a lull in mobile order pickups.

If you’re not comfortable with people wearing their masks improperly, I’d strongly reconsider your plans right now. There are a large number of guests (maybe 35%) wearing masks improperly (mostly below the nose) and the reality is that there aren’t enough CMs to catch them all. The CMs correct it when they see it, but the guest will just pull it down after they pass them. They are also just completely taking off their masks on rides and pulling them up before they exit the ride. I believe there were about 5-6 announcements to fix masks during my HM ride, which would upset me if I had just waited a long time to ride it. I was lucky enough to hit it first thing in the morning. I’m fully vaccinated, but I’ve been double-masking just to make myself more comfortable with the situation.

The magic is very much still there, and kindness towards the CMs goes a long way, especially now. Many of them are exhausted and frequently dealing with grumpy guests. It made me kind of sad to see the surprise in their face when I was smiling and being so cheerful today. I also may have had some pixie dust thrown my way. It’s definitely an adjustment period right now, and they’re experimenting with different ways to better manage crowds, so go into your day with a bit of patience, if possible. Oh, on that note, in addition to the DL Railroad only boarding at Toon Town, everyone is required to get off once they return to Toon Town. I had been planning to stay on for a bit longer, but I think it was a new thing they were trying to make it easier for more people to have a chance to ride.

I’ll share some Disneyland observations between last week Wednesday, when closing time was 7pm, and yesterday when closing time was 9pm. Yesterday felt busier, so I think there were more people in Disneyland. I don’t know if it was due to the increase to 35% capacity that was allowed as of yesterday with Orange County hitting the yellow tier, or part of their gradual increase in attendance after the first couple of weeks. When they do open to more people, if queuing is not able to changed, it will be even busier. However, I know the parks are not close to pre-pandemic levels because there was never a line to get into the restrooms!

If your focus is Fantasyland, start there as it definitely gets very crowded starting around 11:00-11:30 with both people in general and the ride times. Early on wait times are less then 15 min for most everything. I saw lots of people at the tables by Red Rose Tavern throughout the just sitting or standing, not necessarily having a meal but also just resting or hanging out, it was very hard to find a “designated dining spot” to stop for a drink of water and made it hard to pass through that area, as @tsumgirl noted.

Our strategy was start with HM first, then circle back to POC, then head to SWGE. While we were at the gates at 8:20 today & let in at 8:30, the HM & POC did not start running until almost 9am; I think they let people in early to help reduce congestion in the esplanade and the tram route. By hitting HM first ( second group through), we then went to POC & were in line there with a 10-15 min wait; shortly after we got in line it was twice as long. A CM at POC said by 30 min or so after opening POC is usually at 40 min & stays there or longer for most of the day until maybe the last hour.

We skipped hitting Indy at opening, when the line was 5-10 min, in favor of HM. I’ve been checking the app from home & the Indy virtual queue seems to open around 10 or a little earlier and stay open to Join until after 12.30. So we waited until after that virtual queue opened, joined & got group 66, and were called back around 2:00.

Our plan was to do RotR ( we had BG 16 yesterday which was called at 9:30) followed by MF as MF was 5 min, but then RoTR went down for an hour which dumped a lot of people over to MF so wait jumped to 45 min quickly & we skipped it.

We headed to fantasyland, did a couple of things with shorter lines, & had lunch at 11:30. Then we did the RR, toontown (saw lots of characters here at their houses), & by then It was after 1 & with the park hopper peeps so much busier. During the heavy afternoon queues we did Tiki room, Indy was called with a less than an hour wait but most of that wait would have been in shade, Mark Twain is running, and also hit the Main Street shops when it is much less crowded to do so. We could also see the characters at the Main Street Station much easier. We’d planned to also ride the Main Street vehicles (the fire truck, double decker bus, and horse drawn trolley are running) as no waits but ended up doing more shopping and chatting with CMs & also had pre-scheduled a mid-afternoon Dole Whip. This afternoon “break” from the extended ride lines was nice and we felt like we were accomplishing more things during that time.

Unlike @tsumgirl, we did not see that many mask issues. I’d say maybe 10%, both kids and adults, and mostly exposed noses or drinks in lines which are not permitted, Only one full mask off on a ride & that was a girl on the RR. People seemed to be more respectful of the pavement spacing markings yesterday than last week. We were never turned away from joining a queue, but we also used the app to search out shorter wait times & postponed longer wait time rides for later. The ride times dropped significantly for most things around 7pm, with the app slow to catch up. I could tell visually that times were much shorter by where the CMs were with their Line starts Here signs. Fantasyland overall was much shorter after 7: we did most every ride and repeated some. We also hit HM again, posted time was 35 min but we waited 15 at 7:30pm

Meals - definitely keep an eye on the return times, once they start to go up, figure out when & where you want lunch & order ahead. If you want burgers, go to Galactic Grill rather than Red Rose. GG has shorter return times & there is a lot more seating over in Tomorrowland than in Fantasyland, Tomorrowland is also a lot quieter. They’ve also opened the upper level of Hungry Bear seating (not the restaurant) which is nice, quiet, and shaded. And definitely keep an eye on the Tropical Hideaway return lines. Once it starts to warm up or gets to lunch time , the returns get farther out. Checking from home I’ve seen Tropical Hideaway be fully booked more than four hours before park closing, and I thInk it will be worse with the summer temps. Yesterday returns were more than 2 hours all afternoon until it filled up; I’d prebooked a 3-3:30 window around noon & that Dole Whip was so refreshing! Had I waited, I wouldn’t have gotten it until after 5. Even with all of the mobile order signage, there were still people walking up to places expecting to be able to order food & were either unable to do so or were directed to a standby line.

Overall impressions - I’m glad I went, and it was SO wonderful to be back at Disneyland again! I don’t regret going at all. Yes, some experiences are missing, but I went knowing that so was not disappointed. I’d rather have Disneyland like this than no Disneyland at all. Being a former AP, probably the biggest adjustment was feeling I had to be more intentional in my approach to rides & food and in planning my day, to get the most out of my time. I felt I did better this week than last with my second visit; checking the app from home the week before going, especially on same day of the week (weekdays vs weekend) also helped a lot to see patterns in ride queue times and food return times. There’s no max pass and reduced ride capacity for a while, so need to approach the visits differently to get the most out of the day.

It’s great to have the Magic back at the Happiest Place on Earth!!

Not sure when that entrance opens. Anyone know? I'll try it this weekend if it opens before 9am.
I scoped this entrance out a bit this morning,

At 7:30 there were about 12 people lined up. We passed a few more heading that way on our morning walk. When we came back that way at 8am the security line was all cleared out, which means it opened sometime before 8am. I’d guess 7:45 approx.

Oh, on that note, in addition to the DL Railroad only boarding at Toon Town, everyone is required to get off once they return to Toon Town. I had been planning to stay on for a bit longer, but I think it was a new thing they were trying to make it easier for more people to have a chance to ride.

Is that the only way to board now ? You cant get on at Main St and circle the park ?

Is that the only way to board now ? You cant get on at Main St and circle the park ?

You can circle the park but have to board at Toontown. You can get off at any stop, but have to get off after one full circle. In other words, everyone must exit the train at the Toontown station.

I scoped this entrance out a bit this morning,

At 7:30 there were about 12 people lined up. We passed a few more heading that way on our morning walk. When we came back that way at 8am the security line was all cleared out, which means it opened sometime before 8am. I’d guess 7:45 approx.

Good to know. We might do that tomorrow morning. We'll just take the elevator in the structure down to level 2 and walk over to the bridge and over to DtD.

correct. They’re not letting anyone board at Main St, NOS or Tomorrowland. Like @DLgal said, you can get off at any station you want or do a full circle back to Toon Town and then get off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter