The Holidays Are Upon Us: Single Parent Traditions?

MommyMeNDisney

DIS Veteran
I love the holidays and creating traditions with my munchkin. What holiday traditions do you have with your kids?

Because I won't have DS every thanksgiving, I can't do the traditional put up the Christmas tree the day after thanksgiving. So, I'm going to start a tradition this year with DS to put up our Christmas tree the first weekend that he's with me in November. Another tradition is that we will get new matching PJs for Christmas each year and take photos in them.

I'd love to hear what special holiday traditions you all share with your kids.

I always take off the week of Thanksgiving and we normally do the tree that week, but this year we will be on board the Dream with my parents and my brother, so we are going to have to adjust that tradition :-). We kind of hope to make that our new tradition. We love to look at Christmas lights and do it almost every weekend from Thanksgiving through New Years. The kids never tire of driving around in their pajamas with hot cocoa. We do matching Christmas pajamas for the kids, and they get those Christmas Eve. It isn't even a surprise - they start talking about what kind they want in July lol. We do a big baking day where we make cookies for their teachers, our neighbors, our grandparents, etc. We have a lot of little traditions, but those are some of our favorites. The holidays are my favorite time of year.

I always take off the week of Thanksgiving and we normally do the tree that week, but this year we will be on board the Dream with my parents and my brother, so we are going to have to adjust that tradition :-). We kind of hope to make that our new tradition. We love to look at Christmas lights and do it almost every weekend from Thanksgiving through New Years. The kids never tire of driving around in their pajamas with hot cocoa. We do matching Christmas pajamas for the kids, and they get those Christmas Eve. It isn't even a surprise - they start talking about what kind they want in July lol. We do a big baking day where we make cookies for their teachers, our neighbors, our grandparents, etc. We have a lot of little traditions, but those are some of our favorites. The holidays are my favorite time of year.

I like the tradition of driving around looking at lights in PJs. I'm going to do that with DS. :)

Have fun on the cruise. Sounds like a nice way to spend the holidays. :)

One of your traditions is getting an ornament on the cruise and having it signed by the Captain. My DS does not know and this is one of the 1st things he opens. We will also look back at out trips.

Since I work at a bank, I only get Thanksgiving Day off. I used to make my crock pot mashed potatoes and take them to my oldest daughter's house, then help her cook everything else there. I decided a couple of years ago that that had to stop, because I was doing all of this work all day, then had to go back to work the next day. Now my 13 year old and I just spend it at home. I still cook the traditional southern meal--turkey, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, creamed corn, the famous crock pot mashed potatoes, and pecan pie. Most of that can be prepared ahead, but on Thanksgiving morning while the turkey is roasting, we can watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which we really love!

The bank closes at noon on Christmas Eve, so we always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation--irreverent, I know, but we love it! That evening, we drive around and look at all of the Christmas lights. My mom started that after my parents divorced, and since she passed away when I was 10, I carry on the tradition that she began--it makes me feel like she's still alive in some silly way. Anyways, we live in a small town, and I work in another small town that has an amazing light display called Christmas in the park at the public park, so we take the quick trip there on Christmas Eve. Many folks in this area go all-out with their Christmas displays, and we love to see them.

On Christmas Day I like to have mostly appetizers and finger foods because of folks dropping by whenever. I have two large crock pots, a triple crock pot, and a dip crock pot, and I use them all on this day. My biggest pot gets a big batch of some kind of soup, but that's the only real meal item. The other crocks get meatballs with chili sauce and apple jelly, Lisa dip, corn dip, and sausage balls. I also have a platter of fresh fruit, plus a bunch of cookies leftover from our Christmas Eve open house at work.

Okay, now I'm ready for all of the holidays to get here--I'm hungry!

Since I work at a bank, I only get Thanksgiving Day off. I used to make my crock pot mashed potatoes and take them to my oldest daughter's house, then help her cook everything else there. I decided a couple of years ago that that had to stop, because I was doing all of this work all day, then had to go back to work the next day. Now my 13 year old and I just spend it at home. I still cook the traditional southern meal--turkey, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, creamed corn, the famous crock pot mashed potatoes, and pecan pie. Most of that can be prepared ahead, but on Thanksgiving morning while the turkey is roasting, we can watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which we really love!

The bank closes at noon on Christmas Eve, so we always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation--irreverent, I know, but we love it! That evening, we drive around and look at all of the Christmas lights. My mom started that after my parents divorced, and since she passed away when I was 10, I carry on the tradition that she began--it makes me feel like she's still alive in some silly way. Anyways, we live in a small town, and I work in another small town that has an amazing light display called Christmas in the park at the public park, so we take the quick trip there on Christmas Eve. Many folks in this area go all-out with their Christmas displays, and we love to see them.

On Christmas Day I like to have mostly appetizers and finger foods because of folks dropping by whenever. I have two large crock pots, a triple crock pot, and a dip crock pot, and I use them all on this day. My biggest pot gets a big batch of some kind of soup, but that's the only real meal item. The other crocks get meatballs with chili sauce and apple jelly, Lisa dip, corn dip, and sausage balls. I also have a platter of fresh fruit, plus a bunch of cookies leftover from our Christmas Eve open house at work.

Okay, now I'm ready for all of the holidays to get here--I'm hungry!

Mmmm, now I'm hungry. :)

We usually do an Advent calendar to mark it down. She opens one gift Christmas Eve. We watch Christmas movies the 2 weeks we are off school. I try to watch the vintage ones with her, because I watched them with my dad. He's deceased, so it makes me feel she's a little closer to him with that. Wealso look at lights. IWANT to start taking her to The Nutcracker, but the tickets are $66 and I don't know if she'll be entertained. I'd love to dresss up and go downtown (Atlanta) and go see it. :)

We usually do an Advent calendar to mark it down. She opens one gift Christmas Eve. We watch Christmas movies the 2 weeks we are off school. I try to watch the vintage ones with her, because I watched them with my dad. He's deceased, so it makes me feel she's a little closer to him with that. Wealso look at lights. IWANT to start taking her to The Nutcracker, but the tickets are $66 and I don't know if she'll be entertained. I'd love to dresss up and go downtown (Atlanta) and go see it. :)
Where are you in the Atlanta area? You can look for a smaller production - she will probably enjoy it just as much and there are several local ones. We are on the southside and my kids both dance in a Nutcracker performance that is pretty enjoyable. Obviously not professional level, but my son has enjoyed it so much every year that he wanted to be in it this year.

On the south side too. LOL! Thanks, I will look into going to look into a kids' production. I really think she'll sit still for that one.

On the south side too. LOL! Thanks, I will look into going to look into a kids' production. I really think she'll sit still for that one.
LOL - we are neighbors, kind of. Ours is the weekend of the 12th of December (2 shows Sat and 1 on Sun). Tickets go on sale next week and I think they are $10 if purchased ahead of time 15 ea at the door, I believe. They don't have the information for tickets on the website yet because tickets aren't on sale, but the performance is in North Fayette, near the Clayton County Line. If that is convenient for you, I will PM the website once the tickets go on sale. This will be my daughter's 4th year and my son's first. The civic ballet has been doing it for 13 years or so. I know there is another in Griffin and I am sure there are others around the south side of town - depending on which area is most convenient. I know ours is very family friendly, but still a quality production (again, not the Atlanta ballet by any stretch, but still a well done show). The kids start rehearsals in August and rehearse every Saturday from August until December, so they do work hard. There are about 100 dancers ranging in age from 3/4 - 18, with a smattering of parents for the adult roles in the party scene.
Just providing info, no pressure. I totally understand not wanting to shell out the money for the Atlanta ballet tickets before you know if she would be interested. Just offering up an alternative. :-) Happy Nutcrackering!

Oh man, I just found a Polar Express train ride near my house! I'm totally doing this with DS for Christmas this year! Maybe this will become one of our Christmas traditions...to take a ride on the Polar Express train every year. Yay!

Since my husband died 14 years ago, we have always gone away for the holidays. It became our tradition to go somewhere warm and since he's been one I have traveled with him to Florida mostly. It is on one of those trips that I bought DVC. Now we are restricted to his exam schedule, but I've booked to go down again this year. Tradition is to sit on a beach in the warm, warm sun! :)

LOL - we are neighbors, kind of. Ours is the weekend of the 12th of December (2 shows Sat and 1 on Sun). Tickets go on sale next week and I think they are $10 if purchased ahead of time 15 ea at the door, I believe. They don't have the information for tickets on the website yet because tickets aren't on sale, but the performance is in North Fayette, near the Clayton County Line. If that is convenient for you, I will PM the website once the tickets go on sale. This will be my daughter's 4th year and my son's first. The civic ballet has been doing it for 13 years or so. I know there is another in Griffin and I am sure there are others around the south side of town - depending on which area is most convenient. I know ours is very family friendly, but still a quality production (again, not the Atlanta ballet by any stretch, but still a well done show). The kids start rehearsals in August and rehearse every Saturday from August until December, so they do work hard. There are about 100 dancers ranging in age from 3/4 - 18, with a smattering of parents for the adult roles in the party scene.
Just providing info, no pressure. I totally understand not wanting to shell out the money for the Atlanta ballet tickets before you know if she would be interested. Just offering up an alternative. :-) Happy Nutcrackering!

Please do! I think there is one near by, since she just started dance classes, but I'm still searching.

Traditions are we usually put the tree up on the first weekend in December. On that same weekend this year the Carols by Candlelight are being held my daughter is in the school choir so we'll be attending (we usually just decide on the day depending on weather). After Carols we drive around looking at lights, we live in a regional area so this doesn't take very long lol.

Christmas Eve I'm usually in a flap because of you know what *wink wink* My only fault as I'm known for leaving things to the last minute. Christmas day we will either go to my parents for lunch or stay home and go there on Boxing day. That's about it, pretty flexible.

I booked our Polar Express train ride!!!! I'm so excited!!! image.jpeg DS and I have two sets of matching Christmas PJs. So, we will wear one set on the Polar Express and the other set Christmas Eve. Here are the PJs we're wearing on the Polar Express.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter