The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I recommend that you do not read all 239 pages of this thread. The "rules" for G+ and ILLs have changed several times since the system was introduced. Reading about the double and triple stacking strategies that were employed last October isn't going to do you any good since the November change that eliminated a loophole that affected those strategies. Similarly, when looking at articles and videos elsewhere, it is important to look at when they were last updated. Unfortunately, many articles/videos are not dated, and it can be hard to tell if the information therein is up-to-date. I don't keep track of the many sources out there to know which are up-to-date and which aren't. However, I know the first page of the "Everything Genie" thread, which others have referenced, is updated from time to time.
thank you for the tips

I was surprised to see all the lightning lane times displaying when I checked at 7:19 a.m. Eastern this morning. Did they change that or did I encounter a fluke?

I'm not sure to what extent they have accomplished that, but I do genuinely believe Disney's goal (beyond making more money which is a given) was to make a system that is more fair to first timers that haven't done a lot of research and planning than the old system was.
By creating a system so complicated and confusing that even if you do a lot of research and planning, you're no better off than a first timer with no knowledge of how the system works! :jester:

By creating a system so complicated and confusing that even if you do a lot of research and planning, you're no better off than a first timer with no knowledge of how the system works! :jester:

I think people just need time to get used to it.

The old system wasn't better. The real issue is that the parks don't have enough attraction capacity to give everyone with a ticket good choices for their lightning lanes/fast passes, so whatever system is in place is going to be unfair to someone.

The new system doesn't have to accommodate everyone, since only 50% of attendees buy into it, and it puts everyone on the same playing field each day. It is more fair to more people.

The most fair system by far would be no system.

I have just been sporadically checking app for LL return times as I go next week and noticed SDD availability in early evening (5:30-7) up until 10:30am the past two days. Think I just have gotten the random available on my checks or are the parks slowing down? I did notice Remy and Guardians VQ are out almost immediately still.

ETA oops posted on wrong thread 😳but this one might know too

I have just been sporadically checking app for LL return times as I go next week and noticed SDD availability in early evening (5:30-7) up until 10:30am the past two days. Think I just have gotten the random available on my checks or are the parks slowing down? I did notice Remy and Guardians VQ are out almost immediately still.

This week and into September are historically slow periods in the parks.

ETA: I should say "slower", not "slow".

So, here's my draft strategy for September 6th at EPCOT. I welcome any feedback on how likely this is to work. Might try for a Test Track G+ instead of Spaceship Earth, but there's a good chance I'll just use the SR line for it, because my wife doesn't always ride it. Thanks!

7:00 AM​
Reserve VQ BG for GotG
7:01 AM​
Reserve G+ for Remy
7:30 AM​
Walk to International Gate
8:00 AM​
Early Entry
8:30 AM​
Park open
10:30 AM​
Reserve G+ for Frozen (or immediately after scanning in at Remy if return time is earlier)
12:30 PM​
Reserve G+ for Soarin' (or immediately after scanning in at Frozen if return time is earlier)
1:00 PM​
Reserve VQ BG for GotG (if unsuccessful at 7:00 AM)
1:01 PM​
Reserve ILL$ for GotG (if unsuccessful in getting a BG) ? ILL$ sold out by then?
2:30 PM​
Reserve G+ for Spaceship Earth (or immediately after scanning in at Soarin' if return time is earlier)
3:30 PM​
Walk to Beach Club Villas
4:00 PM​
Break/Swim at Resort
6:30 PM​
8:30 PM​
Find a spot for show
9:00 PM​
Harmonius
9:30 PM​

Last edited:
Just back from 8 days in the park and I just want to say Genie+ sucks at Epcot. Every other park, we were able to do all rides, with just a bit of planning. At Epcot, it's impossible because there are only 3 useful LL and it is impossible to get all 3 in a day. On one Epcot day, we got Remy at 7 AM. Being offsite, TT was already an hour at rope drop, so we ride Frozen first. TT then had downtime much of the morning, so that by 10:30, TT LL was gone. We could have gotten a Frozen LL, but we didn't want to ride it again. TT was down in the evening too because of rain, so we never got to ride it. So we spent $75 for the 5 of us to ride Remy. We registered a complaint at Guest Relations, but we're still out the money.

The data says it's noticeably less crowded on average this month than any month recently. SDD is currently reliably available to book until 10-10:30am with the possibility of being available into afternoon. Yesterday was unusual as far as having late afternoon ability.

I wonder if Slinky Dog being available later has anything to do with the change about LL booking for park hopping. I started noticing this around the time of that change, but it could be a coincidence.

So, here's my draft strategy for September 6th at EPCOT. I welcome any feedback on how likely this is to work. Might try for a Test Track G+ instead of Spaceship Earth, but there's a good chance I'll just use the SR line for it, because my wife doesn't always ride it. Thanks!

Reserve VQ BG for GotG
Reserve G+ for Remy
Early Entry
Reserve G+ for Frozen (or immediately after scanning in at Remy if return time is earlier)
Reserve G+ for Soarin' (or immediately after scanning in at Frozen if return time is earlier)
1:00 PM​
Reserve VQ BG for GotG (if unsuccessful at 7:00 AM)
1:01 PM​
Reserve ILL$ for GotG (if unsuccessful in getting a BG) ? ILL$ sold out by then?
Reserve G+ for Spaceship Earth (or immediately after scanning in at Soarin' if return time is earlier)
3:30 PM​
4:00 PM​
Break/Swim at Resort
Find a spot for show
Harmonius

I think it looks doable. I don't think you'll get Remy that early - probably 1-2pm. You'll be doing Frozen in the evening if booked at 10:30am (I assume that was your plan). So you just have to fit Frozen + Guardians in from 6:30-8:30pm. It's doable, but remember there is still a line with a boarding group (probably 40-60min.)

I think it looks doable. I don't think you'll get Remy that early - probably 1-2pm. You'll be doing Frozen in the evening if booked at 10:30am (I assume that was your plan). So you just have to fit Frozen + Guardians in from 6:30-8:30pm. It's doable, but remember there is still a line with a boarding group (probably 40-60min.)
If we get a BG for GotG at 7 am, return time would probably be before our resort break at 3:30pm? If getting a GotG BG at 1 pm, return time would almost certainly be later in the evening? If we get called earlier than expected, we should have no problem getting back there in time from BCV.

Later Frozen return time shouldn't be a problem, wait time should be fairly minimal with the G+ LL? That is the whole idea of the LL, after all. Just want to make sure we have time to visit a couple of F&W booths for our dinner. We'll also be hopping to EPCOT the next day, so could wait until then to watch Harmonius if we're still in line for GotG.

The data says it's noticeably less crowded on average this month than any month recently. SDD is currently reliably available to book until 10-10:30am with the possibility of being available into afternoon. Yesterday was unusual as far as having late afternoon ability.

I wonder if Slinky Dog being available later has anything to do with the change about LL booking for park hopping. I started noticing this around the time of that change, but it could be a coincidence.
I’d think a little of both reasons myself. I’m just glad as I intend to sleep in (8ish) on one of my HS days. Since I don’t intend to arrive at park before 3pm I’m hoping to get a time for after that still before park opening at 8:30. Then hoping to pull:

10:30 ToT
12:30 MMRR
2:30 TSMM
After that I’d like *** and then I’d wait in standby at close for another SDD.
I’m not a Star Wars fan. So I’m not interested in the rides-I have been on SR and didn’t enjoy it. 😱😳😂

Think this is a reasonable plan? I was a FP+ expert and went once during stand-by only during Covid but I feel like I’m in way over my head now!!!!

If we get a BG for GotG at 7 am, return time would probably be before our resort break at 3:30pm? If getting a GotG BG at 1 pm, return time would almost certainly be later in the evening? If we get called earlier than expected, we should have no problem getting back there in time from BCV.

Later Frozen return time shouldn't be a problem, wait time should be fairly minimal with the G+ LL? That is the whole idea of the LL, after all. Just want to make sure we have time to visit a couple of F&W booths for our dinner. We'll also be hopping to EPCOT the next day, so could wait until then to watch Harmonius if we're still in line for GotG.

Based on the data, I'd say yes to both. And yes, you should have a max 10 minute wait with a LL and probably less. I don't know if you know this, but once your boarding group is called, you can go anytime the rest of the day - they don't turn you away if you miss your window.

Here's the draft plan for DHS (hopping to EPCOT for F&W dinner) on September 7th.

Harmonius is only if we didn't see it the previous night.

If reserving MF:SR G+ at 10:30am, are we likely to get a return time before 2:30pm?

Is 12:30pm too late to reserve MMRR? I'm thinking the return time would already be later after we'll have left DHS? Should I reserve something at EPCOT in the evening then? Would it be better to reserve MMRR at 10:30am and just ride MF:SR using SB? We've done SB for MF:SR in the past and it wasn't too bad.

If return times are closer for one or both, we won't have to wait 2 hours to reserve the next one, but I'm not that familiar with how quickly the return times push out into the afternoon/evening.

Suggestions for what to reserve at EPCOT (either at 12:30pm or at 2:30pm)?

If we have a G+ return time for something in DHS after 2:30pm, we could stay longer to use it before starting our break. We could also take a shorter break and enter EPCOT before 6:30pm if necessary.

Also, if we somehow missed out completely on GotG the day prior, can I purchase ILL$ for the evening on the same day that I purchased ILL$ for RoTR that morning? It's one per park/per day right? Not just one per day?

Reserve G+ for SDD
Reserve ILL$ for RotR
Walk to DHS
Early Entry
Park open
Reserve G+ for MF:SR (or immediately after scanning in at SDD if return time is earlier)
Reserve G+ for MMRR (or immediately after scanning in at MF:SR if return time is earlier)
Reserve G+ for EPCOT attraction? (or immediately after scanning in at MMRR if return time is earlier)
2:31 PM​
3:00 PM​
Break/Swim at Resort
7:00 PM​
Dinner = Food & Wine Festival (G+ attractions?)
Find a spot for show
Harmonius

Last edited:
I’d think a little of both reasons myself. I’m just glad as I intend to sleep in (8ish) on one of my HS days. Since I don’t intend to arrive at park before 3pm I’m hoping to get a time for after that still before park opening at 8:30. Then hoping to pull:

10:30 ToT
12:30 MMRR
2:30 TSMM
After that I’d like *** and then I’d wait in standby at close for another SDD.
I’m not a Star Wars fan. So I’m not interested in the rides-I have been on SR and didn’t enjoy it. 😱😳😂

Think this is a reasonable plan? I was a FP+ expert and went once during stand-by only during Covid but I feel like I’m in way over my head now!!!!
Yep, that looks completely reasonable. You shouldn't have any trouble getting any of those reservations.

@Grumpy by Birth: can you report back on how things went for you. Your plan looks solid.

The more proficient people are becoming with the system the harder it is to get that third/fourth pass at a reasonable time (vs conflicting with a pm ADR)

Here's the draft plan for DHS (hopping to EPCOT for F&W dinner) on September 7th.

Harmonius is only if we didn't see it the previous night.

If reserving MF:SR G+ at 10:30am, are we likely to get a return time before 2:30pm?

Is 12:30pm too late to reserve MMRR? I'm thinking the return time would already be later after we'll have left DHS? Should I reserve something at EPCOT in the evening then? Would it be better to reserve MMRR at 10:30am and just ride MF:SR using SB? We've done SB for MF:SR in the past and it wasn't too bad.

If return times are closer for one or both, we won't have to wait 2 hours to reserve the next one, but I'm not that familiar with how quickly the return times push out into the afternoon/evening.

Suggestions for what to reserve at EPCOT (either at 12:30pm or at 2:30pm)?

If we have a G+ return time for something in DHS after 2:30pm, we could stay longer to use it before starting our break. We could also take a shorter break and enter EPCOT before 6:30pm if necessary.

Also, if we somehow missed out completely on GotG the day prior, can I purchase ILL$ for the evening on the same day that I purchased ILL$ for RoTR that morning? It's one per park/per day right? Not just one per day?

Reserve G+ for SDD
Reserve ILL$ for RotR
Walk to DHS
Early Entry
Park open
Reserve G+ for MF:SR (or immediately after scanning in at SDD if return time is earlier)
Reserve G+ for MMRR (or immediately after scanning in at MF:SR if return time is earlier)
Reserve G+ for EPCOT attraction? (or immediately after scanning in at MMRR if return time is earlier)
2:31 PM​
3:00 PM​
Break/Swim at Resort
7:00 PM​
Dinner = Food & Wine Festival (G+ attractions?)
Find a spot for show
Harmonius

Smuggler's at 10:30am - yep, likely 1:30-2:30pm.

MMRR at 12:30pm - looks like 3:30-4:30pm is most likely.

It really depends on the day for standby for SR vs RR. I think either is potentially doable, especially if you're willing to wait up to an hour. I'd see how it's looking and book one at 10:30am and do the other via standby. Of course there's always the single rider option for SR.

Yes, you can definitely buy Guardians for evening at EPCOT even if you also buy Rise. You can buy up to 2 ILLs a day.

I just checked the data and at least recently, it doesn't look like you'd be able to book anything at EPCOT at 12:30 for the evening. It's all either immediate returns, or gone for the big 3. Even at 2:30, it's basically the same. That's why G+ at EPCOT sucks so much, lol. You might get lucky and snag a big 3 for an evening time if it happens to be available when you look, or you spend some time refreshing to try to get one.

If you want to look into the numbers yourself, I'm getting all the data from thrill-data.com. They have handy charts for basically everything someone might want to know. I'm nerdy enough to enjoy studying it, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter