The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I think one thing we're seeing is that the times DHS and Epcot open make a big difference in Skyliner lines. The earlier the parks open, the shorter the lines appear to be as less people are willing/able to join the line early in the morning than they are on the days when the parks open a bit later.

A planning strategy we used was that the later a park opened, the longer we allowed time to get to the park.
I would think the recent trend this month to make DHS and Epcot both open at the same time (!!!!) would really make Skyliner as bad as it could possibly be. Disney should really think about this harder.

I would think the recent trend this month to make DHS and Epcot both open at the same time (!!!!) would really make Skyliner as bad as it could possibly be. Disney should really think about this harder.

It could but, is not always the case as was shared in this post above

That was our experience, yes. It was our first time RDing from POP so I don't have anything to compare it to. When we stepped off the Skyliner at CBR, we walked right into the queue lined up for the next leg but it was just 5-7 mins maybe? So, no wait at POP, but a 7 minute wait at CBR? I wish I'd kept track of the times specifically, but I know the first time I looked at my watch actually IN LINE in front of RnRC it was 7:45am. It might have been after my husband left to got get a drink, so perhaps we got there a few minutes sooner even?

But based on our day grabbing LLs (SDD around 9:40am, RotR easily -- several time frames to pick from -- at 8:57am) it wasn't a hugely busy morning of activity at DHS! AKA we got lucky.

What time did you get on the skyliner at POP when it was a 40 minute wait? We may have just timed it perfectly that the initial queued up lines were already handled and there was no more backlog?

That was our experience, yes. It was our first time RDing from POP so I don't have anything to compare it to. When we stepped off the Skyliner at CBR, we walked right into the queue lined up for the next leg but it was just 5-7 mins maybe? So, no wait at POP, but a 7 minute wait at CBR? I wish I'd kept track of the times specifically, but I know the first time I looked at my watch actually IN LINE in front of RnRC it was 7:45am. It might have been after my husband left to got get a drink, so perhaps we got there a few minutes sooner even?

But based on our day grabbing LLs (SDD around 9:40am, RotR easily -- several time frames to pick from -- at 8:57am) it wasn't a hugely busy morning of activity at DHS! AKA we got lucky.

What time did you get on the skyliner at POP when it was a 40 minute wait? We may have just timed it perfectly that the initial queued up lines were already handled and there was no more backlog?
We got on around 9 am. Security takes longer with a diaper bag as well (we carry allergy medication also). I know we had to sprint to make our LL for ROTR. We had ROTR (LLIA$), MMRR (LLIA$) and SDD (11-10 am) lined up for the morning. ROTR took us 40 mins each time with rider switch; MMRR went down for 2-3 hours and we rode SDD before our 11:25 am Oga’s. Our kids are 2, 5 and 13 and we are traveling from CST so it won’t be worth the exhaustion to get on to SDD.

Do they still make the entire party stay together in the outdoor queue (including the baby in a stroller) before giving a rider switch? (June and Nov 2021).

Hello all,

I will be one of the many at Disney next week. After reading tons on Genie, I have a few questions to those who are already there, or have the experience. We are a family of 4.

1.Is it easier to book in groups of 2 or remain as 4?
2. If booking as groups of 2, can my daughter be logged in on my account as well or does she need to do it on her own account(I would book with my youngest daughter, she would book with my wife)
3. With a 7:30am opening for AK, is a good strategy to book a LL at AK closest to 7:30 as possible, tap in, then book afternoon LL at HS? Will anything be available? Then I could book HS at 7:30-8:00, then 2 hours after that?
4. With daylight savings on Saturday, what time should I arrive at AK for 7:00am Early Entry, with FOP being the main target?
5. Since we are staying at the dolphin, will I have to connect to Disney WIFI on th bus while going to AK, or is it the same Wifi?

My goal is something like this: At 7:00am, book Kilimanjaro Safaris somewhere between 7:30-8:30. Head to FOP, then head to Safari (Maybe squeeze in Navi if there is time? Dreaming here!). Tap in to Safari, book a HS LL for the afternoon (Millennium, RnR, TSM, don't think Slinky will be there). Then book HS LL after 2 hours, and repeat. In the meanitime, take my time during the morning at AK. What are my chances of getting anything? Is this a good plan?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot of questions, just trying to figure out a strategy.

My goal is something like this: At 7:00am, book Kilimanjaro Safaris somewhere between 7:30-8:30. Head to FOP, then head to Safari (Maybe squeeze in Navi if there is time? Dreaming here!). Tap in to Safari, book a HS LL for the afternoon (Millennium, RnR, TSM, don't think Slinky will be there). Then book HS LL after 2 hours, and repeat. In the meanitime, take my time during the morning at AK. What are my chances of getting anything? Is this a good plan?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a lot of questions, just trying to figure out a strategy.

The answer is -- no one knows about the chances. It's a good plan and one that we followed on Saturday, but it wasn't a packed day. I would take a look at the predicted crowds and then just hope for the best. I think you have a good shot at getting the early KS at 7am and you'll have a head start on the next LL once you tap in. I'd also look at the app each day before you go to see what's available at 8:30am to give you a feel for it.

I have never used park wifi for any app usage even in our room, but I know it depends on if you have a US-based cellular provider. I have Verizon and it seemed to work fine on cellular.

Hello all,

I will be one of the many at Disney next week. After reading tons on Genie, I have a few questions to those who are already there, or have the experience. We are a family of 4.

I would absolutely not book as groups of 2. Your return times could be hours apart.

Hello all,

2. If booking as groups of 2, can my daughter be logged in on my account as well or does she need to do it on her own account(I would book with my youngest daughter, she would book with my wife)
3. With a 7:30am opening for AK, is a good strategy to book a LL at AK closest to 7:30 as possible, tap in, then book afternoon LL at HS? Will anything be available? Then I could book HS at 7:30-8:00, then 2 hours after that?
4. With daylight savings on Saturday, what time should I arrive at AK for 7:00am Early Entry, with FOP being the main target?
5. Since we are staying at the dolphin, will I have to connect to Disney WIFI on th bus while going to AK, or is it the same Wifi?

You will not get the same times or even close. Stay as 4. I’m booking as 7 in June. It is what it is.

The more I think about strategies with G+ it seems that park hopping may not be so beneficial, especially at DHS, when G+ times go into the PM so quickly. Maybe Disney wants to make it more difficult to PH and keep people tied to one park for attendance tracking reasons. But then that’s leaving PH ticket money on the table.

We've used G+ successfully both WITH Park Hopping and without, but in both cases using 1 LL in the morning and then stacking for the afternoon/evening (as we break midday always).

The most critical part of all this is being lucky (or really smart) in planning a trip when things aren't insane attendance wise, and really understanding how the LLs work and making sure to grab the next LL as soon as eligible. Also helps to be willing to refresh here and there (though I only did that once at DHS on Saturday). We've gotten lucky twice and literally rode everything we wanted to.

The more I think about strategies with G+ it seems that park hopping may not be so beneficial, especially at DHS, when G+ times go into the PM so quickly. Maybe Disney wants to make it more difficult to PH and keep people tied to one park for attendance tracking reasons. But then that’s leaving PH ticket money on the table.
Yes I’ve planned 1.5 HS days. We have the hopper & take mid day breaks, but I feel like we could possibly be staying in the park most of our full day.

Last edited:
Iffy to bank on scoring a 730am return time at AK, but getting a 10am return time for something like KS or NRJ should be doable. If you tap in at 10 that shouldn’t put you too far behind the curve for booking your 2nd LL at HS.

Last edited:
I think this is a very interesting point. Since DHS return windows go into PM quickly, would you agree that when hopping it’s better to make HS your 2nd park, rather than your 1st?

I think this is a very interesting point. Since DHS return windows go into PM quickly, would you agree that when hopping it’s better to make HS your 2nd park, rather than your 1st?

That’s my plan. To do a full day at DHS plus hop there one afternoon. We will also go there on departure day before our flight.

Yes I’ve planned 1.5 HS days. We have the hopper & take mid day breaks, but I feel like we could possibly be staying in the park most of our full day.

We also take midday breaks and always go to a different park in the PM. We would almost always book our FP+ for the PM park too. We have DHS for our second day and my plan was to hop in the PM but we will just go back there in the evening. It is our favorite park (after MK) and I don’t want to rush it or get frustrated with return times.

At 11:00 am

AlienSS 3:10 pm
MMRR 7:20 pm
MFSR NA
RnRC 7:10 pm
ST 1:00 pm
TSMM 4:10 pm
TOT NA

Anyone see that they are adding the MK parade to Genie +? I wonder if this is temporary for spring break, what it will actually mean, etc. Please add info if you see it! Thx.

AK in the morning and Hs at night makes a lot of sense. I suppose you have to pick between FOP and ROTR for the LLIA$ (you can only choose one a day now: feb 25-aug 7 changes?). We’ve waited 60 mins for FOP and it wasn’t too bad. I noticed restrooms and fountains for FOP. Not sure about ROTR even though we waited 2 hours in that queue when the ride broke down.

Last edited:
I don’t see it (parade added to Genie+,) but they do need to add some more things, including fireworks at MK. Fantasmic/Star Wars galactic fireworks at HS would mean HS would have to be an evening park for people who are park hopping.

Edit: yes starting March 11; Why doesn’t Disney notify those of us with upcoming trips when they make changes that impact us

https://wdwnt.com/2022/03/festival-...reams-being-added-to-genie-starting-march-11/
https://allears.net/2022/03/09/two-new-additions-coming-to-disney-worlds-genie-soon/

Last edited:
AK in the morning and Hs at night makes a lot of sense. I suppose you have to pick between FOP and ROTR for the LLIA$ (you can only choose one a day now?). We’ve waited 60 mins for FOP and it wasn’t too bad. I noticed restrooms and fountains for FOP. Not sure about ROTR even though we waited 2 hours in that queue when the ride broke down.
Someone told me it’s still 2 ILL’s if you have a hopper. Has anyone put this into practice since the February change?

Someone told me it’s still 2 ILL’s if you have a hopper. Has anyone put this into practice since the February change?
This should be clearly spelled out on the Lightening Lane page and it isn’t!

None of the Blogs that I’ve checked have verified (they strike out and specify changes starting feb 25 through aug 7) that you can still get 2. When a similar change was made during Christmas, they reduced the LLIA$ so you didn’t have an advantage with park hopping.

ps. I just posted this question in the chat feature on the app. Hopefully someone gets back to me In a few hours.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter