The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Well, @garneska and myself have cried in the past sometimes about the runDisney IT problems when trying to register for races at WDW.

Yesterday was the general public sign-up for the Disneyland Half Marathon at the end of January 2025. After never getting the registration process launched, they threw in the towel.

1718819144575.png
I am SO glad I got registered for both the 5k and 10k Wine & Dine races this year for just before our November DISMeet. That's the last runDisney races I'LL ever sign up for. If my kids or (future) grandkids want 'Pops' in a race with them, THEY'LL have to handle my registration. Because after all the problems they've had over the years with this stuff, to have it still continuing is simply incompetence. Everyone in the IT department should be fired.

But I feel sorry for all the racers who tried to sign up or waited over 3 hrs for the system to come on-line before cancelling for the day. They'll have to go through the stress again when the new registration date is announced.

We left today for Harrison Bay State Park. The plan was to leave the condo by 9:30 and leave storage by noon. Figure we will have drama since we have not been in the rig since Nov.

We were almost close left the condo at 11 and left storage at 12:10. Honestly pretty good. The drama at that point is a stem on the tire and whisky being terrified of the moving house.

Got her in the crate and while she looks happy, she hates being locked in. I had to though for fear of her trying to get in Bert’s lap.

IMG_3230.jpeg

We did good and got to the park just after 2. We checked in and went to unhook and then this.

IMG_3240.jpeg

There is the drama. The filter on the transmission was loose or gasket but leaking transmission fluid everywhere. Thankfully we got to the campground and in our site.

IMG_3241.jpeg

@Teamubr will be to our rescue since he is coming in tomorrow. Hope it is just a filter and add back the fluid we lost.

GO RIDE THE STEAM TRAIN AT THE TENNESSEE VALLEY RAILROAD MUSEUM! It's only 20 minutes away from Harrison Bay SP.

The local 'Missionary Ridge' runs behind a steam locomotive on Saturdays and Sundays. Five times each day 90 minutes apart. It's a short ride each way, through a tunnel, change the loco direction on a turntable, and get the repair/restoration shop talk. TVRR is my 'home' railroad. We've been going for decades.

www.tvrail.com

They have two operational steam engines. #630 is the smaller, 2-8-0 Consolidation wheel type and #4501 is the bigger, 2-8-2 Mikado wheel type.

Pro tip from me: stand outside the front of the 1st passenger car immediately behind the tender while going through the tunnel (it's at the far end just b4 the turntable and shop area). Smell the smoke and cinders of a real steam loco up close.

They have a live webcam too at the main depot (Grand Junction).

https://www.tvrail.com/webcam/

Enjoy your camping trip and good luck on the repairs, Bert.

ED

@Teamubr, your Cardinals are going to play right up the road tonight at Rickwood Field in Birmingham. This is a big deal/coup for Rickwood and I'm happy that it will receive its recognition. Minor league professional baseball was played there regularly for decades.

Willie Mays played on the Birmingham Black Barons for a couple seasons and Reggie Jackson spent a year on the Oakland A's AA team in 1967 in Birmingham. Visiting teams had big names come through including Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Honus Wagner, Jackie Robinson, Christy Mathewson, and more.

For those that don't know, MLB's annual "Field of Dreams" game in Iowa is not being held this year due to expansion/construction at that location so MLB's signature event was moved to Rickwood this year (the oldest ballpark in the US) and repurposed to honor the Negro League teams that played at Rickwood and around the US in the last century. Rickwood Field opened in 1910.

When I worked in Birmingham the late 90s-early 00s, the local AA team (which now has a downtown field) who are still the Birmingham Barons would play 1 or 2 games a year in the spring at Rickwood and our office would take the afternoon off and go to the game. It definitely has that old time feel. Small, too.

Anyway, hope your Cards beat the Giants tonight. Game is on Fox at 6pm Central (7pm Chattanooga time).

ED

Thanks Ed. The railroad was on my radar and I knew about the Cards game, but didn't know the history. Hopefully the Cards play a little better than they just did against the lowly Marlins.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter