The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

@bama_ed
When I saw the handcar you got I thought it was a replica of the original version, which I hadn't seen in awhile. It looks as though Lionel is doing a release of replicas from the original now. I didn't realize that there were multiple colors either. Anyway, I thought this might interest you:

@Sjm9911

@bama_ed
When I saw the handcar you got I thought it was a replica of the original version, which I hadn't seen in awhile. It looks as though Lionel is doing a release of replicas from the original now. I didn't realize that there were multiple colors either. Anyway, I thought this might interest you:

@Sjm9911

Don, that's interesting. It's windup and MSRP is $200 on the Lionel website but it comes with some O27 track so you O-gauge operators (not me) could use it on existing track too.

Sad news here in central Alabama.

Daily temps are getting consistently into the mid-80s and the attic railroad may be going into hibernation soon. I'd like to get one more good running day (and with my Lionel Mickey/Donald handcar hitting the rails for a while more).

It's fascinating that the YT video you linked talked about the tie-in between Disney and Lionel back when the original handcar came out a century ago.

I like the Chip & Dale cartoon with Donald and his garden railroad "Out of Scale".

Ed

PS - Don, we are coming to the Fort in October 1st week. Have your calendar handy for consultation between now and then .....

October is a much better time of the year compared to when we will be there. Though not much of a choice since we have to work around school schedules. We arrive 7/14!! Not sure you want to wanter out to melt that time of the year Don. Looking forward to getting our dinner reservations in.

This weekend we are off to PA to visit family, staying at the same sate park we did last year. Looking much better on the rain forecast. With any luck we will get the mothers day trip we envisioned last year. Then finally some downtime with only a race weekend or two in June.

We arrive 7/14!! Not sure you want to wanter out to melt that time of the year Don.
Kinda the breaks of living here. It really doesn't feel as bad if you aren't there in Mouse world. I truly believe it feels worse there due to all the paved real estate and irrigated landscaping bringing up the humidity. There isn't any shore breezes in the central part of the state to help cool things off either.

So we really haven't been away since June 21 when we drove up to MD for a wedding. We just needed an away from home trip so we drove over to the Kennedy Space Center and took advantage of our annual passes. Pretty amazing place and we really enjoy it. We've been twice and there's still more to see. That was last Friday the 5th. Left the house around 10:00 and got there 11:15 or so. Spent the day there and left at closing, 5:00. Went south on A1A to Melbourne beach for a long weekend. The pool wasn't heated and the ocean was cold too but it was still great to get away and do nothing for a long weekend. Just watched the surf hit the beach and relaxed. Didn't feel the need to explore or go out on the town.
Headed home Monday the 8th around 10:30 and got in at 12:15. Short but nice, and since our anniversary is on the 12th it was a good gift to me and the wife.
Too bad for you 'Ohana, you've made too many changes to be on our anniversary dinner must do spot any longer.

VA is the same, after growing up on LI and moving here I just got used the the lack of breezes. I spent enough time working at the track in long pants that at Disney the only areas that suck on really hot days is late afternoon is AK and EPCOT. The rest I can find somewhere to cool off.

I will be down for Dismeet 2024, M will fly down for a long weekend as planned.

Glad you can take a trip somehwere, even if its just a bit away from home.

Short but nice, and since our anniversary is on the 12th it was a good gift to me and the wife.
Happy Anniversary.

We love these quick long weekends. We joined Harvest Host 2 years ago and have been doing Friday/Saturday night stops at a couple of places within a few hours from home. Fun, little getaway.

j

Last edited:
I hope everyone had a good Mother's Day weekend! After last years wash out, this year we where blessed with good enough weather. Rain greeted us in Gettysburg, PA and chased us most of the way to French Creek State Park, yet when we got there they had only seen a little rain. The rest of the weekend stayed dry and going Saturday through Monday was so nice and the drive home great with little traffic.

Now its time from some RV cleaning, and preparing for the big trip south. This year I plan to repack the bearings and replace the rear seals. I typically do not replace the rear seals each year, I clean and inspect and check the rear bearing without removing the seal. Then every couple of years do a full tear down.

Last edited:
Well today the stars and moons aligned enough for me to start on the truck shocks. The drivers side was blown, the passenger showing its ready to go. Thankfully during my search and contemplation @Teamubr happen to have a full set just waiting for a friend in need. And thanks to the Disboard express we sorted out price, shipment options and payment. I got them as April was on the horizon. Then poof, April flew by like a blink with vacation and commitments, and the priorities like the annual yard work.

This evening I started with the passenger shock. It was rusty and I had been soaking the threads with PB all day. It took some work but it was coming off and every so often would tighten a little to clear the threads. When finally it snapped off the end of the threads making it a shorter shock. The drivers side was blown and still had its thread cap on. So it was quick work to swap Without issues. Tops and bottoms were torqued per the book And thread cap replacement is ordered.

IMG_6362.jpeg
IMG_6361.jpeg

Old shocks. Any guess which one is blown?
IMG_6363.jpeg

I ran out of daylight to work on the rears, that’s think will be much easier. I don’t expect a massive change in ride. Any improvement would be appreciated.

It's always the hardest nut/bolt to get to. Glad the new ones worked out. And I don't see a blown shock. I thought your truck just rode with one side much lower than the other. :duck:

j

Last edited:
It was not super easy, yet not as difficult as I expected. I had a deep socket and a long handled 1/2 ratchet. Once I removed some screws for the fender liner to flex a bit it wasnt too bad other then the rust. The rear shocks should be pretty easy in comparison.

Next week it goes for an oil change (Ford dealer is cheaper then doing it on my own) and going to get some batteriest, they only charge 160 a battery for 850CCA, where other local places want over over 200 a battery.

Ok, so , I sealed up the top of the camper a bit. Wanting to do it easier and better ( I hope) I reasealed the edges with eternabond ( or its cheaper equivalent) then sealed the edges with dicore. I still need to do the slide out, and around the sylights and such, but there is no rush as its not leaking. I need to find a way to reach without walking on the roof. While they say its walkable, its 3/8 ply and I am still 215 lbs. So, good enough for now. I needed to do it as I have meniscus surgery in the am. So, at least when I am half way healed, I hope we can get out with the camper. I may even paint the roof at the end of the season. 20230516_091425.jpg20230516_164436.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter